ADVERTISEMENT

What would a 32 team superconference look like?

hill6

Freshman
Feb 10, 2017
While there is a lot of uncertainty around what college sports will look like in a year, let alone 10, one thing I have seen floated by a lot of the prognosticators is we may be headed for a superconference of either 60, or 32 teams. I have my doubts that will happen (how is that different than what we have now with the NCAA nominally serving as the conference). If that's the case, who do you think are the 32 teams?

My thoughts:

From the current ACC:
UNC
Duke
UVA
Florida State
Clemson
Notre Dame
Syracuse

SEC:
Bama
Georgia
Florida
Tennesee
UK
Missouri
LSU
A&M

Big 10:
OSU
Michigan
MSU
Wisc
Iowa
Penn State
Nebraska

Big 12:
Kansas
UT
OU

Pac-12
UCLA
USC
UW
Oregon
Arizona
Colorado
Cal

That's a decent list. My hope is that they just take the football teams and not the whole athletic department. Basically just treat football like they are independent so they can have the super conference/minor league NFL that they want and everything else stays about the same.

Maxwell smart style! Not to the original poster but to the idea in general, can you imagine managing that mess?

The freakin travel alone would be a logistical nightmare!
Not really. The idea is to set it up like a pro league. You would have a pod or division with teams that are usually close and then have cross games that rotate. Of course $70+ million a year would allow schools to hire petty good travel agents.

The goal of having a conference that large isn't for money purposes though. It wouldn't bring much, if any, more revenue than having 14-18 team conferences. The reason they want to do that is to set their own rules. It would allow them to expand how many players are on scholarship, control the playoff setup, etc.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Question is whether the sec and big 10 who are likely calling the shots remains loyal to its schools like Vandy and Northwestern. My guy says there will be some pressure from the coaches to have a few "breather" games. You cannot play a big dog every week and survive physically. You think Saban wants to play a conf slate that looks something like UGa, Clemson, LSU, Auburn, A&M, Texas, Notre Dame and Florida?

I would love to see those conference games Bub! Talk about must see TV! No way a coach would let that happen because it would likely derail the consecutive playoff streaks!

Not really. The idea is to set it up like a pro league. You would have a pod or division with teams that are usually close and then have cross games that rotate. Of course $70+ million a year would allow schools to hire petty good travel agents.

The goal of having a conference that large isn't for money purposes though. It wouldn't bring much, if any, more revenue than having 14-18 team conferences. The reason they want to do that is to set their own rules. It would allow them to expand how many players are on scholarship, control the playoff setup, etc.
Sarcasm coming (not directed at you 0910):

That's a good idea. We can set it up geographically so there will be a division on the West Coast, one in the Midwest, one in the Southeast, one in the North, and one on the East Coast. It can be overseen by a body made up of representatives from each of the regions, we can call it something like the, National Collegiate Athletics Agreement, or something like that, I'm just spit-balling. I'm not sure what we'd call the divisions, since one is in the Pacific, one is in the Atlantic, one is in the Southeast, and two would be kind of big amalgamations of the Midwest. But this seems like a groundbreaking idea that's never been tried before.

• Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I'm a little sad that you needed to let peeps know sarcasm was coming!

"Oh, irony! Oh no, we don't get that here. See, people ski topless here while smoking dope, so irony's not really a high priority. We haven't had any irony here since about '83, when I was the only practitioner of it. And I stopped because I was tired of being stared at."

At this point.......whatever Greg Sankey wants it to look like. He with the power, and the gold, always makes the rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT