ADVERTISEMENT

What you listening to today?

I've moved on and I'm now listening to Jackson Browne. There are artists I like better than JB, but if I needed someone to write a soundtrack for my life, I'm probably picking him.

If you're a fan of Skynyrd, then hopefully you've checked out Whiskey Myers (the band I linked above). Heavy Skynyrd influence.
Not bad at all from the 2 songs you posted (I like Stone a lot). You can definitely hear the LS influence, he even drops the Simple Man reference in the first song you poasted. The drummer is great, I'll give them more of a listen.

My convo with @tarheel0910 about Genesis has me listening to this classic this AM:

I think if aliens came down and asked what 80s music was (because of course they'd ask that) I'd probably play them this song first, great 80s pop song.

on a day like today, you HAVE to listen to this tune...

It's mandatory.

So I hadn't listened to much Allman Brothers growing up (just a blindspot in my listening). About 10 years ago I heard Clapton's Layla come on the radio, which is easily in my top 5 favorite songs if not #1. After it was done the DJ goes "and that's Duane Allman on guitar with Eric Clapton" and I was shocked. Knowing Clapton, I thought it was just him so I went and listened to a bunch of Allman Brothers and now love them.

My SIL is named Melissa after their song.

So I hadn't listened to much Allman Brothers growing up (just a blindspot in my listening). About 10 years ago I heard Clapton's Layla come on the radio, which is easily in my top 5 favorite songs if not #1. After it was done the DJ goes "and that's Duane Allman on guitar with Eric Clapton" and I was shocked. Knowing Clapton, I thought it was just him so I went and listened to a bunch of Allman Brothers and now love them.

Duane Allman tops my long list of musicians whose untimely deaths screwed me out of the unheard music I anticipated the most. And Blue Sky tops my list of songs that I wish would just go on forever. I absolutely get lost in some surreal and special place when I listen to it. And that's without the aid of drugs.

Whiskey Myers is definitely more "country" than Skynyrd. But if you listen to a lot of their stuff, you'll hear that Skynyrd influence for certain.

Below is probably my favorite of theirs. It's less "country" than a lot of their stuff.

Good tune. Not sure about Skynyrd, but for some reason this immediately came to mind.

and then this popped into my noggin for no reason I can think of.

and then I guess just because it's Friday...

I like Marc Cohn and MTB a lot. Cohn was car jacked, shot in the head and suffered brain damage about 15 years ago. Does he even make music anymore?

• Wow
Reactions: tarheelinfl

Layla and other Assorted Love Songs is a fantastic album, but I'm sure you already know that.

Reactions: dadika13
I like Marc Cohn and MTB a lot. Cohn was car jacked, shot in the head and suffered brain damage about 15 years ago. Does he even make music anymore?
whoa, don't think I knew that about Cohn. Wondered what happened to him.

Marshall Tucker is high on that list of mine of musicians deaths that robbed me of some of my favorite future music. LOVE their style.

Duane Allman tops my long list of musicians whose untimely deaths screwed me out of the unheard music I anticipated the most. And Blue Sky tops my list of songs that I wish would just go on forever. I absolutely get lost in some surreal and special place when I listen to it. And that's without the aid of drugs.

The drugs never hurt though

Checking out some new Upchurch, Tom MacDonald, Mesus, Yelawolf that all came out in the last few weeks. Yelawolf has some awesome songs on his new LP.

The drugs never hurt though
in reality, the absence of drugs help separate the really good stuff from the mediocre. You don't need 'em for the really good stuff, got to have them to make the mediocre sound good.

Switched over to my downloaded songs and put it on shuffle. Last 10 songs:

Dreams- Fleetwood Mac
Scream, Aim, Fire- Bullet for My Valentine
Blackout- CHVSE
You Got Me- The Roots
Storm- King Crooked
Too Much- Dave Matthews Band
6th Avenue Heartache- The Wallflowers
I Remember You- Skid Row
Ava Adore- Smashing Pumpkins
Locked Away- R. City

Reactions: Archer2
Been listening to the Avett Brothers Four Thieves album today. For my money, this is their best (Emotionalism is a close 2nd). This was before they were a household name (way before). Frankly, I don't really care for the stuff they make these days. The Carpenter was the last album of theirs that I liked. But this album epitomizes what I loved about them when I first heard them. Just raw emotion, simple but poetic lyrics and a punk flair.

Recommended tunes on this album:
Colorshow
Distraction #74
Left on Laura, Left on Lisa
Matrimony
Famous Flower of Manhattan

Reactions: Archer2
I have no idea who this person is and had never heard of him before clicking to listen...that was great. Awesome tribute to Eminem and he's talented. Loved the "Patiently Waiting" flow he did at 2:20.

Bro, Tom MacDonald is fire. His hooks and beats are just so-so. But his lyrics resonate with me big time. I'm going to link a few more of my favorites of his.

I have no idea who this person is and had never heard of him before clicking to listen...that was great. Awesome tribute to Eminem and he's talented. Loved the "Patiently Waiting" flow he did at 2:20.

In the song I poasted above, "Fake Woke", he kind of goes after Em in one line when he points out that Em used to rap about killing his mom but now he's woke so he doesn't want Trump supporters as fans. And I loved it. But he kind of softened the blow with this song paying homage.

In the song I poasted above, "Fake Woke", he kind of goes after Em in one line when he points out that Em used to rap about killing his mom but now he's woke so he doesn't want Trump supporters as fans. And I loved it. But he kind of softened the blow with this song paying homage.
I thought that line was more of a dig to his critics than it was to Em. I already knew how big of an Em fan he was, so that's why I didn't really think it was a shot at him directly.

He's a legit independent artist who has used YouTube to get a pretty big following. I would say he's probably one of the top as far as popularity goes in that category. It's really just him and his wife that do everything. Like @gunslingerdick mentioned, his hooks and beats aren't the best in the world. I think his rhymes tend to be on the weaker side, but he does a good job getting his point across.

Side note about the video, that was the same model and color car from the Stan video. I thought that was a cool little detail. Also, the whole video was shot at his house. Including the underwater scenes, which were filmed in his pool.

Reactions: dadika13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT