ADVERTISEMENT

What's Going On With The Competition?

Scary part is no NBA means no college ball! It is increasingly looking like we won't see this potentially historical team on the floor this season. So...does anyone think we can hold it together for a run when we do restart college bball?

Last edited:
Reactions: Steat
Scary part is no NBA means no college ball! It is increasingly looking like we won't see this potentially historical team on the floor this season. So...dos nyone think we can hold it together for a run when we do restart college bball?

Tough call Kap. To answer your question, I say no. But.....

I'm "hoping" that somehow, someway the season can start and get completed with the exception of a player dying due to the virus. If a football player dies due to the virus, I think they shutdown football and basketball.

On the other hand, If the Fed can come up with an effective vaccine by January- February, I hope a basketball season can be completed even if they start in March and finish in May.

My daughter is an RN working on the frontline in an IC unit in Brooklyn and she has educated me that COVID is a beast, much worst than the flu.

Last edited:
Whoa! Big time move and I love it.

Five-star recruit Makur Maker commits to Howard over powerhouses UCLA, Kentucky
https://sports.yahoo.com/makur-maker-is-changing-the-game-with-commitment-to-howard-145732712.html

db8d7d90-bd39-11ea-beb3-1e8dad6f7a5f

Big 10 has cancelled non conference football schedule for the upcoming season. We as a country really need to get these numbers under control with our social behavior, like South Korea and Europe did, or this could end up being multiple years of cancellations and limited gathering across the board.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I don't see the Maui actually happening! I want it to but I'm not terribly optimistic!

If we see any bball, I would bet it happens in 2021!

Reactions: Steat
Anyone have any news on whether Sarr will be eligible for UK?

This is a huge deal for UK imo. Without him they simply aren't a contender.

Anyone have any news on whether Sarr will be eligible for UK?

This is a huge deal for UK imo. Without him they simply aren't a contender.
They won’t be winning it if they get Sarr. They only return Brooks and he was garbage last year and they only bring in one top 10 recruit. Without Sarr Uk is an average team there front court is terrible.

Kid we are in on, Kennedy Chandler, is rumored to be very close to poppin' for Tennesee though.

Yep!

Big Ten moving to conference-only model for all sports this fall
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-moving-conference-only-model-all-sports-fall
OK, so I don't understand this conference schedule only thing? Is it in some way acceptable to get covid from a conference opponent but not from a non-conference opponent? If they are going to play, heck if they are going to practice, there will be exposure. Make a decision to play or not and stop with the little bit pregnant nonsense.

Sorry but you, me, none are going to be able to hide from this, the country hid at home for 2mo and yet it is still here. Now everywhere you go you are required to hide behind a mask and yet still people are testing positive? Heck, most of us have already been exposed to this, most especially those that were considered essential workers. A good friends wife just tested positive, she works for DOD and was maybe the most vigilant person I know when it came to doing all she could to stay away from covid. Point being, she did everything she could to hide from this and yet it found her and she does not know who, where, or how. Now her hubby, my bud, got tested yesterday and we are waiting for the results.

At some point we are all going to have no choice but to except that this beast is here and at some point it will visit us all, that we can neither hide from it or wish it away. Not in any way making lite of this threat, it is bad and in many cases it is deadly. All the hide in place stuff did was kick the can down the road for a few weeks but people are just not going to isolate forever, at some point they were going to step out and try to get back to some degree of normalcy, realizing the risk is ever present but willing to accept that risk as well as the consequences of that decision.

I very strongly believe this covid thing, as well as racial tensions now so fervent in this country have been whipped up and weaponized by the radical left media and politicians. WE are not getting the truth in any aspect but rather are fed daily weaponized spin purposely intended to create and foster negativity as well as intense fear within our people of all races and beliefs. And you know what, sadly it is working because the lies have been told enough now that people have begun to believe them. It is now business as usual to shame anyone that does not totally buy in to this leftist party agenda to radically change this country. Free speech has now become, free and accepted but only if you espouse the media's accepted party line other wise you are nuts or a racist or both deserving for now public shaming, how many steps is that from locking up those that do not agree?. That sounds a lot more like China than America...

The conference thing as I understand it is an attempt to salvage something of a season. Minimizing the amount of time spent traveling in the confined spaces of planes or buses. Even the pros have done this. MLB baseball is all regional. Pro basketball & hockey in "bubbles" to avoid the travel all together. As you point out, it is not going away, but it has to be contained and managed or it's a whole other level of damage.

Your friend who was diligent would be the type of person that is much of the reason. People have ignored many of the simple maintenance steps of distancing when not essential and wearing of masks when in public spaces where people do congregate, and instead of maintaining the flattening of the curve which allows more areas open, it has predictably spiked again because of that. That affects the entire health system, even the people who are carefully managing their higher risks can't avoid it then, so if the essential mobile citizens traveling refuse the simple measures, then more limits are necessary, because it will spread exponentially from their disregard regardless of the 50% or so being diligent.

It seems like Wonks's Choclate Factory, and we have half a country of Veruca Salt's. "They want it and they want it now, daddy". In the end they are preventing the very thing they want from happening at all.

I really hope we can have a season, but I can't see how for football at all, and basketball is getting doubtful with the stubbornness of people who are not in higher risk groups for hospilization to take the simple steps asked of them. It's a shame because it could have been back.

Last edited:
I think the big 10 move is purely to maximize tv $ from their network. Much safer for Michigan to host Western Michigan than Rutgers coming from jersey. Majority of non conf games are against non P5 teams who generally are geographically local. If all the P5 conf's do this a lot of smaller schools may shutter their athletic departments - they need those big paydays to pay for everything else.

Big 10 is also looking to flip only divisional games within conference, all at the start of the season. ACC is looking at having only 5 opponents to play home and home for 10 game schedule ( I would assume UNC would play Duke, NC State, Wake, Virginia, and either Clemson or VA Tech ?), since only conference doesen't look very realistic either.

They all are desperate, holding out as long as possible, trying alternate possibilities, hoping for the public to help, because as it stands right now with the numbers as they are, there is zero chance of any of the formats.

American Conference just cancelled all fall sports totally, along with the Ivy. Pac 10 along with ACC is at least down to only conference if anything.

Last edited:
Dang! As a fan, I really want college football, but as a human, I don't want to expose peeps to this deadly virus for my entertainment! I'm afraid this may lead to bball being canceled as well!

Under what presumption?
This virus has long term effects on some people. My wife still has severe joint pain after a mild case in April. No idea if this will be life long or not. The fall will likely bring another big wave as people move back indoors. To be clear, it’s not the games or practices that concern me it’s the communal living and training that presents the biggest risk IMO.

This virus has long term effects on some people. My wife still has severe joint pain after a mild case in April. No idea if this will be life long or not. The fall will likely bring another big wave as people move back indoors. To be clear, it’s not the games or practices that concern me it’s the communal living and training that presents the biggest risk IMO.

Sorry to hear that. I wish her well.

My question pertains to: what do you think the pretenses are that will allow Spring sports to operate? January seems rather arbitrary to me, for instance.

Sorry to hear that. I wish her well.

My question pertains to: what do you think the pretenses are that will allow Spring sports to operate? January seems rather arbitrary to me, for instance.
Yeah, I’m hopeful of vaccines and additional symptom treatment within the next few months. There are currently 6 or 7 vaccines in Phase 3?trials and although it might take 18 months to roll out to everyone it along with rapid testing available should allow sports to happen without fans. That’s my hope anyway.

Emotional stuff folks! Puff and Cam Johnson's included...

Last edited:
Reactions: dtodd4475
Our researchers are doing some serious work at UNC toward medicines, like remdesiver and vaccine research, but for now as Canadian said above, wear a dang mask, practice social distancing whenever or where ever possible, wash hands/disinfect often and stay home if you don't have to be out.

As to the competition, everyone's gone quiet now that we are discussing scenarios for "seasons".

Can't you hear the money talk?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT