ADVERTISEMENT

What's Next for the 2018 Class?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Lasz committed to Notre Dame.

I'm guessing Little is no longer of interest to us. Is that true?

We have a few other offers out, but the usual sources don't rate our chances very high.

There have been a couple of decommits (Steere and Montgomery, for example), but are we interested? If Montgomery is tainted by the scandal, I assume we aren't interested. But is he tainted? We looked at Steere before and apparently weren't interested. Are we now?

Are we done with 2018? If not, what direction do you think we will take?

Honestly, I don't think even coaches know at this point.

The whole system has been shaken.

Agreed with dadika. What's next is to step back and revise a plan, IMO.

I don't think recruiting can escape the elephant in the room.

Who do you guys want us to go after?

Or should we wrap this class and focus on future classes - perhaps adding a grad next year if someone becomes available?

We have so many question marks about this roster - from who might leave early to which of our many new guys will pan out, and when. So I sort of hate to draw the line under our 2-man class.

That said, it's a good 2-man class. And I'm not opposed to having a scholarship or 2 to give to some of the guys who came here without guaranteed support.

Who do you guys want us to go after?

Or should we wrap this class and focus on future classes - perhaps adding a grad next year if someone becomes available?

We have so many question marks about this roster - from who might leave early to which of our many new guys will pan out, and when. So I sort of hate to draw the line under our 2-man class.

That said, it's a good 2-man class. And I'm not opposed to having a scholarship or 2 to give to some of the guys who came here without guaranteed support.

I want a big who can contribute immediately (Days or Shittu) and/or a bigger wing who can eventually be starting-caliber (Hellems?).

I'd also love for Little to be clean, but I might as well wish for a pony while I'm at it.

I say Days, Hamilton or save for 2019. I am not that worried since I see just as many answers as questions with our current lineup!

I say Days, Hamilton or save for 2019. I am not that worried since I see just as many answers as questions with our current lineup!
Since none of us have seen the freshmen bigs play a single minute of college ball, I'd love to hear how you've seen as many answers as questions.

By the end of this season most if not all of the current questions will be answered. It will make calculations so much simpler when we have seen our bigs play at this level. Plus we'll either know or have a better idea whether some of our guys will be leaving early.

Not sure who is next but as one of our posters said, one of the freshman bigs will nudge ahead of the others, perhaps by November.

Since we can't be sure that any of the remaining elites are clean and UNC can't afford even the hint of scandal, I say ride with the team we have, wait for the smoke to clear, and load up in '19 & '20!

Lasz committed to Notre Dame.

I'm guessing Little is no longer of interest to us. Is that true?

We have a few other offers out, but the usual sources don't rate our chances very high.

There have been a couple of decommits (Steere and Montgomery, for example), but are we interested? If Montgomery is tainted by the scandal, I assume we aren't interested. But is he tainted? We looked at Steere before and apparently weren't interested. Are we now?

Are we done with 2018? If not, what direction do you think we will take?

Little no longer interested in us? I think it is more likely the other way around, what are his options at this point? Another Addias program not yet indicted, maybe IU? Kansas is involved in this mess so better steer clear of them, IU is coached by Sean Miller's lil brother, think they have not talked about this buy players deal? Frankly, he would be well served, clean or not, to stay as far away from an Addias school as possible, same for Langford, honestly same for any of these 2018 or 2019 guys.

But just as heavy under the spotlight will be even the Nike schools that have brought in big numbers of one & done players, UNC would be the perfect landing spot, IF ROY IS STILL WILLING TO TAKE YOU, THAT MAY BE A BIG IF.

Since we can't be sure that any of the remaining elites are clean and UNC can't afford even the hint of scandal, I say ride with the team we have, wait for the smoke to clear, and load up in '19 & '20!

Think i agree with this. Before the scandal dropped, it seemed that the consensus was Little and perhaps an extra of Days or Laz, since Little would likely be OAD.

There's not really any elite prospects we have much of a shot with at this point, and getting involved with any others may not be ideal, who knows if they're tainted or not by this scandal.

I say hold it to the next class. We have a legit shot with a lot of prospects and it's still very early. Gives us the opportunity for a 4 or 5 man class.

I don't understand not trying to add a frontcourt player, unless we really can't get anyone clean in the top 100.

We've got 3 unproven freshman at center, with no idea who will pan out. There is no clear successor to Maye at PF, other than possibly Brooks. You are putting yourself in position to have several years of a thin frontcourt if you don't bring in anyone at all. We have plenty of backcourt players, but we need to bring a big in. At least that's what I expect Roy is thinking.

All of the guys we brought in for the '14, '15, '16, and '17 classes were also in contact with other programs. Each of them could probably have found a way to get money if they wanted to. It's not as though players getting paid is some unique feature to the 2018 class. I don't think we just shut our doors and stop trying to add recruits.

Honestly, I don't think even coaches know at this point.

The whole system has been shaken.

First, the extent of our recruits involvement must be determined by our coaching staff. E.g., exactly what is N. Littles involvement? Others? Then Roy must do what's right by UNC standards. No offer if any hint of involvement! These involved are now referred to as 'tainted persons'. They cannot play for Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT