ADVERTISEMENT

Where you live

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
1. Where do you live? (Be as specific or vague as you'd like.)

2. Why did you choose to live there?

3. How long have you lived there?

4. Are you considering moving any time soon? If so, where and why?

Now we're getting somewhere.

1) Burlington, NC
2) All sorts of reasons. Closte to Chapel Hill I could live for a previous job (I worked from Burlington to Asheville), my mom's hometown, cost of living cheaper compared to Greensboro or Triangle
3) almost 17 years
4) In 3 years I will move. Whether it is closer to Chapel Hill (Saxapahaw) or somewhere out west remains to be seen.

How bout you?

Gastonia, NC

I work in Charlotte and didn't want to pay the premium of living in Charlotte. It's close enough.

A little over two years.

I plan on moving into Charlotte in about a year because I can afford it a lot easier now.

I live in Elkin, N.C. I was born about a mile from where I live now. Wouldn't live any other place in the world.

Beaver City, Nebraska
Bird Hunting and the teacher pay and benefits are far greater than NC
Since 2009
Not planning to leave

I live in Charlotte, about 5 minutes from Mountain Island Lake. MIL is in between Lake Norman and Lake Wylie, which means not everyone knows about it and I can kayak there without getting run over by powerboats.

I moved to Charlotte from Knoxville in 2006. I was single and in my early 30s, so I wanted to live somewhere it was easy to meet people, find things to do, and have plenty of job options. Also not a bad drive to Chapel Hill for games. Since I went to HS and college in North Carolina, it has always felt like home. Plus, my mom lives alone and is getting older so it's nice to only be about an hour away from her in Winston-Salem.

My wife and I have put down roots here, so I don't think we'll move any time soon. But I really enjoyed living on the west coast as a younger guy, and she has expressed interest about it too, so you never know.

Live in Weaverville NC
Been here 20 years
Moved here as its 20 minutes north of Asheville where I grew up and my parents still live
No plan on moving but I do love to travel. I live in the mountains so life is pretty good.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Live in Weaverville NC
Been here 20 years
Moved here as its 20 minutes north of Asheville where I grew up and my parents still live
No plan on moving but I do love to travel. I live in the mountains so life is pretty good.

We just ate at stony knob cafe last week

Wilmington

Came here to manage a hotel 15 yrs ago. Hotel got sold to patels during recession. Family loves it here though so i started cleaning swimming pools, landscaping, property mgt, and teaching karate. I doubt we'll ever move.

columbia, sc

finished school(USC) here in 94...couldn't find a job, but found my future wife...went back to school and finished again in 97.

found a job, got married...she's a partner at a law firm so we aren't going anywhere for another 10 years.

our next move is to the outer banks...i am counting the days.

And NO phone call to join you ... its after tax season so y'all flat landers can come visit and we can enjoy an adult beverage together. BTW... I hope you enjoyed Stoney Knob. There are a lot of good places to dine around here.

@BillyL you need to come back so we can visit. I hate your last mountain trip had me all tied up.

Live in Wilson NC. Moved here because I became married to a fine woman from Wilson. I found her while she was summering at the beach during her college years, the place where I grew up. We just purchased property at the beach where we spend our weekends. Unbeknownst to her that was part of a sinister plan to have our family relocate to the beach. It is going to happen....lord willing...inland is just....I mean girls pump gas in bikinis where I lived. Here they just waddle into the store to buy junk food.

And NO phone call to join you ... its after tax season so y'all flat landers can come visit and we can enjoy an adult beverage together. BTW... I hope you enjoyed Stoney Knob. There are a lot of good places to dine around here.

@BillyL you need to come back so we can visit. I hate your last mountain trip had me all tied up.

My wife was prodding me to send you a message about all of us hooking up for a glass of wine/drink . . . I said if it wasn't a super-busy time for you then I likely would have.

Next time that I'm in town we'll make it a point to get together.

Ormond Beach, FL

The Beach, it's not cold and does not snow, days are longer, no state taxes.

4 years

May move slightly West b/c my wife is working in Orlando now. I have an office in lake Mary so may move closer so her commutes is not as bad.

1) Hickory

2) Moved here for a job

3) Been here since 1976, or about 39 years.

4) Just remodeled the house...aint going nowhere anytime soon.

My wife was prodding me to send you a message about all of us hooking up for a glass of wine/drink . . . I said if it wasn't a super-busy time for you then I likely would have.

Next time that I'm in town we'll make it a point to get together.

I look forward to it! I hated the timing was off for the last visit. Now you have an excuse to come back and hit some of the other high lights of the area and maybe it won't rain on you

Live in Wilson NC. Moved here because I became married to a fine woman from Wilson. I found her while she was summering at the beach during her college years, the place where I grew up. We just purchased property at the beach where we spend our weekends. Unbeknownst to her that was part of a sinister plan to have our family relocate to the beach. It is going to happen....lord willing...inland is just....I mean girls pump gas in bikinis where I lived. Here they just waddle into the store to buy junk food.

I was born in Wilson and am very thankful my parents left there as soon as my dad finished his degree. I drive through there to eat at Parkers Resturant but thats about it. I would not want to live there full time. not my cup of tea

Reactions: JHVS
I look forward to it! I hated the timing was off for the last visit. Now you have an excuse to come back and hit some of the other high lights of the area and maybe it won't rain on you

All in all, we had a pretty good visit . . the great comfort of the B & B we stayed at was a factor, suggested by a poster here on OOTB(T-Square maybe) ? The one day of rain allowed us to recharge our batteries . .

Would love to make a return trip, see you then.

NC Foothills

Grew up here. Actually live in the same woods where I grew up, just different house.

All my life except for college and grad school.

Not so long as I have family here. When they are gone, I could see moving to Blowing Rock or even the north west.

I was born in Wilson and am very thankful my parents left there as soon as my dad finished his degree. I drive through there to eat at Parkers Resturant but thats about it. I would not want to live there full time. not my cup of tea
Short drive to Ayden to eat at Bum's or Skylight would be better IMO.

1 - Lynchburg, VA - and for those that know the area, Boonsboro, or as we on this side of town like to say, "The 03" (referring to the zip code).

2 - My family moved here from Charlotte when I was in middle school. I left of course for college, then came back. My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I decided that we just wanted to move somewhere together and start our own life. We moved to Mt. Pleasant, SC. We were down there, for about 4 years. Got married while we were down there and wanted to start a "grown up" life, eg: buy a home, have kids, etc. With all that in mind, we moved back to Lynchburg in 2003 to be near my family and her family and to enjoy the ridiculously low cost of living here in Central Virginia. And as much as I love Charleston, I'm more of a mountains guy than a beach guy.

3 - Since 2003 but like I said, I lived here before college from 7th grade until graduation.

4 - Not soon. But eventually. My younger son starts kindergarten next year. We will most likely be here until he graduates and my parents have moved on. Of course if a great professional opportunity came along for either me or my wife and it required we relocate, we'd certainly consider it. But we're not looking for opportunities outside the area and it would have to be a tremendous opportunity for me to consider pulling my kids out of the school they attend and for me to leave my parents in their waning years. But my wife and I discuss it every now and then. We could possibly move back to the Charleston area. We talk about the Wilmington area too. And right now I get some pushback but I think when the time is upon us, Montana/Idaho/Wyoming would be on the list as well.

Yeah this place isn't bad it just isn't the beach. It is a tough transition from boating/fishing/everything to "sittin' on the porch discussin' the stories with Memaw" here. At the beach there is always something fun to do. Here I don't know what to do.

1. Bessemer City, NC
2. Grew up here. After first go round in college and working in retail for a number of years, decided to go back to college and become a CPA. Joined my partner here in my hometown and been in practice since 1983. My 91 year old mom is still here living beside my wife and me so it's nice to be able to look after her.
3.Lived here from birth in 1953 until 1971 and off to UNC. From 1971 to 1985 lived in Chapel Hill, Chester, SC, Fayetteville, Jacksonville (NC) and Gastonia, NC. Been here since we built here in 1985.
4. Built a house on lake Rhodiss in 2010. Like Mtn. Island Lake, Raising Heel, it's not well known as it sits between Lake James and Lake Hickory, undeveloped and great for kayaking and fishing without being sloshed about by skiers and jet skis. Right now it's a weekend retreat but will become the principal residence after retirement in less than 5 years or later depending upon mom's situation.

4. Built a house on lake Rhodiss in 2010. Like Mtn. Island Lake, Raising Heel, it's not well known as it sits between Lake James and Lake Hickory, undeveloped and great for kayaking and fishing without being sloshed about by skiers and jet skis.
Awesome. I know it, only because I've scoured the lakes of North Carolina looking for places to paddle and camp. Didn't look like overnight camping is allowed there so I haven't made the trip yet. Beautiful area. (I made the mistake once of paddling/camping on Lake James. Once.)

Reactions: HookUNC75

Fine, I'll play.

1). Cobb County, Ga.

2). I was born in Tampa, Fl., lived there for 45 seconds, then my parents moved to the Atlanta area for my dad's work (banker) when I was an infant. I lived in Athens, Ga., for one year (UGA), then lived in Chapel Hill for 3 years (UNC), and I found work back here in metro Atlanta upon graduation, so I'm still here.

3). See #2

4). I want to move as soon as possible. Tired of this area, but I have a steady job, so what are you gonna do? I'm NOT a city person, but I'm strongly considering moving ITP (that's Atlanta slang for 'Inside the Perimeter' meaning in the city proper, not in the suburbs) in August because it's way too hard to meet people (i.e. girls) out in the suburbs where it's mostly families. That's move #1.

Long-term, I desperately want to move somewhere more rural where it's peaceful, the people are kinder and less likely to be from New York/New Jersey, and where I can buy a decent chunk of land. To quote Delmar O'Donnell from O Brother, Where Art Thou, "You ain't no kind of man if you ain't got land."

N.C. would be nice. My family's been in North Carolina since the 1700's and I visit family and UNC enough that I still consider it my quasi-home state. Tennessee would be cool too. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd buy back some family land -- that was sold during hard times -- in rural Richmond County, N.C. and build a big ol' house there, but I can't seem to come up with the winning digits.

Just outside Winston-Salem

Grew up in W-S and love it but we found a house we liked in Lewisville. Close to the mountains...closish to the coast. Nice climate... I like the fall, winter, and spring. Not so much the summer heat.

Lived here since the later-1960's - close to 50 years.

Not considering it anytime soon. Might retire to Asheville or Chattanooga.

1. Bessemer City, NC
2. Grew up here. After first go round in college and working in retail for a number of years, decided to go back to college and become a CPA. Joined my partner here in my hometown and been in practice since 1983. My 91 year old mom is still here living beside my wife and me so it's nice to be able to look after her.
3.Lived here from birth in 1953 until 1971 and off to UNC. From 1971 to 1985 lived in Chapel Hill, Chester, SC, Fayetteville, Jacksonville (NC) and Gastonia, NC. Been here since we built here in 1985.
4. Built a house on lake Rhodiss in 2010. Like Mtn. Island Lake, Raising Heel, it's not well known as it sits between Lake James and Lake Hickory, undeveloped and great for kayaking and fishing without being sloshed about by skiers and jet skis. Right now it's a weekend retreat but will become the principal residence after retirement in less than 5 years or later depending upon mom's situation.

Hook, in five years, we will be practically neighbors... :eek:

Reactions: HookUNC75
Willin
Short drive to Ayden to eat at Bum's or Skylight would be better IMO.
Willing to try the other 2 but I really love Parker's. The corn sticks alone is worth the drive. We don't have eastern style bbq here and I wish we did.

I live in Greensboro.
I moved here because my wife is from Greensboro.
I arrived here the summer of 1994.
I am 45 now and would love to have a place back at White Lake or my in laws have lot of property in Wilkes County would love to have a place there.

1. Where do you live?
Whew, it took me awhile, but I finally got around to answering this one...

1. Greensboro
2. Triad area is convenient to mountains, beaches, etc. and family that is scattered throughout NC.
3. 20 years
4. Mrs. THM wants to get to Wilmington one day (permanently, @heelmanwilm). I can see us heading there in a few years.

1 - Lynchburg, VA - and for those that know the area, Boonsboro, or as we on this side of town like to say, "The 03" (referring to the zip code).

2 - My family moved here from Charlotte when I was in middle school. I left of course for college, then came back. My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I decided that we just wanted to move somewhere together and start our own life. We moved to Mt. Pleasant, SC. We were down there, for about 4 years. Got married while we were down there and wanted to start a "grown up" life, eg: buy a home, have kids, etc. With all that in mind, we moved back to Lynchburg in 2003 to be near my family and her family and to enjoy the ridiculously low cost of living here in Central Virginia. And as much as I love Charleston, I'm more of a mountains guy than a beach guy.

3 - Since 2003 but like I said, I lived here before college from 7th grade until graduation.

4 - Not soon. But eventually. My younger son starts kindergarten next year. We will most likely be here until he graduates and my parents have moved on. Of course if a great professional opportunity came along for either me or my wife and it required we relocate, we'd certainly consider it. But we're not looking for opportunities outside the area and it would have to be a tremendous opportunity for me to consider pulling my kids out of the school they attend and for me to leave my parents in their waning years. But my wife and I discuss it every now and then. We could possibly move back to the Charleston area. We talk about the Wilmington area too. And right now I get some pushback but I think when the time is upon us, Montana/Idaho/Wyoming would be on the list as well.

Creepy. It's like me and this dude are living the same life.

All right, even though I don't trust you yahoos any more now than I did five years ago, I'm gonna chime in out of respect for THM's deep dive in the archive.

1. Greenville, NC

2. I originally moved back here to help with the family business in nearby Washington.

3. 10 years this time around, plus 4 years right after college. If you include Washington, then most of my life, except for a few years each in Chapel Hill and Wilmington.

4. Maybe. I never thought I'd live this close to home my whole life, so there's always been a little urge in the back of my mind to uproot the family and set out on an adventure somewhere else. But I've never settled on where.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT