ADVERTISEMENT

Which Transfers Should WE Be Looking At? If Any.

One reason he might not choose us is because the other schools on his list have good programs and academics too! Why peeps line up to place blame, often before anything happens and without any real knowledge, is beyond me! The kid will make a choice and while it says good things about the program chosen, it does not necessarily say anything negative about the others! I happen to think our program is special, but I might be a little biased!

Join the Family, Mr. Bishop!

Good points, Sir! I wonder if it is about the coaches more than the programs. Choosing Kansas would mean either they are unaware or aren't concerned with any potential sanctions!

How would Bishop fit into our lineup?

I didn't watch Creighton play, but he's a 6'7 220 kid who apparently played center on his height-challenged team and only took 8 3-pt shots in 3 years. Maybe he can hit from outside, but he hasn't. And he sucks from the FT line.

Despite that, he's a very good scorer. His 66.6 TS% would make him tops on our team (and most teams). He's also a pretty good rebounder and shot blocker.

Size-wise, he looks like he might fit in at SF or PF, but his lack of 3-pt shooting makes the SF role unlikely, and doesn't suggest he's a stretch 4 either. I'm assuming he won't be taking over at center from Armando.

Maybe he actually can shoot from deep and just wants to be on a team where he'll be able to. In which case, he looks like a much better fit. Maybe even a great fit. But, as they say in courtroom dramas, that assumes facts not in evidence.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I know we things a little different around here, but other schools like Kentucky offer EVERYBODY.. they aren't going to take a chance and miss out and be left with nothing. They already offered Harmon from Oklahoma as well as lots of others. We need to be more aggressive and not just offer 2 players only.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I know we things a little different around here, but other schools like Kentucky offer EVERYBODY.. they aren't going to take a chance and miss out and be left with nothing. They already offered Harmon from Oklahoma as well as lots of others. We need to be more aggressive and not just offer 2 players only.
It will be interesting to see if Hubert follows in Roy's (and K's) footsteps and is very focused and stingy with his offers or if he uses the scattergun approach like Self and some others. Clearly you can be successful each way.

I imagine it's a lot easier to offer few players and still be successful if you are a Hall of Fame coach, but not even all HoF coaches use that strategy.

Reminds me of the old joke....

Fellow sitting in a bar watches a guy come in, go up to each woman in the bar, in turn, whisper something in her ear, and get slapped. After the guy makes a complete circuit of the bar, whispering and getting slapped, our watcher waives him over and asks him what he says to the women.

"I ask them if they want to f***k."

"What! Well, no wonder they slap you. Why on Earth would you do that?"

"Sometimes they say yes."

Who else are we looking at now that Bishop is gone??
If I'm counting right, we now have 11 scholarship players - assuming Bacot sticks around.

Normally we average around 12, I think, with a walk-on getting the last scholarship.

Only 2 of those 11 are proven front line guys. Bacot and Manek.

Presumably some from the Leaky/McKoy/Styles contingent can handle backup at PF - but how well? Leaky would need to bulk up - something he hasn't done much in 3 years. Styles is a bit short, not too heavy, either, and just a freshman. McKoy is probably the best bet. But will he adapt quickly enough in his first season with UNC?

I'd say we definitely need another center. And maybe another 4/3 just to be safe.

I hope Hubert just waits this out for the next several weeks and wait for that no brainer kid for a back-up to Bacot. No need to rush.

I'm thinking that he gives one to Lebo's son for one year.

2021 Depth Chart

Scholarship Count (max 13 per season)
ClassScholarships Available (13)
Scholarships Used (11)
SR (2)Black, Manek
JR (2)Bacot, McKoy
SO (5)Davis, Harris, Johnson, Love, Walton
FR (2)Dunn, Styles

2020/2021 Depth Chart

SRJRSOFR22
PGLove
CGDavis
Harris
Dunn
WBlackMcKoyJohnson
Walton
HFManek
Styles
CBacot

Last edited: 47 minutes ago

Assuming Bacot returns, UNC has eleven recruited scholarship players. The only glaring need is a backup Center. I was about to suggest Joey Brunk, but he transferred from Indiana to Wisconsin tonight. UNC needs a big to protect the rim when Bacot is out for a rest or foul trouble or injury. Chances are that a nice defensive Center will become available before September. 1.

Assuming Bacot returns, UNC has eleven recruited scholarship players. The only glaring need is a backup Center. I was about to suggest Joey Brunk, but he transferred from Indiana to Wisconsin tonight. UNC needs a big to protect the rim when Bacot is out for a rest or foul trouble or injury. Chances are that a nice defensive Center will become available before September. 1.
I agree a big to back up Bacot should be the next man to bring on board

Reactions: Archer2
I hope Hubert just waits this out for the next several weeks and wait for that no brainer kid for a back-up to Bacot. No need to rush.

I'm thinking that he gives one to Lebo's son for one year.

2021 Depth Chart

ClassScholarships Available (13)
Scholarships Used (11)
Scholarship Count (max 13 per season)
SR (2)Black, Manek
JR (2)Bacot, McKoy
SO (5)Davis, Harris, Johnson, Love, Walton
FR (2)Dunn, Styles

2020/2021 Depth Chart

SRJRSOFR22
PGLove
CGDavis
Harris
Dunn
WBlackMcKoyJohnson
Walton
HFManek
Styles
CBacot

Last edited: 47 minutes ago
Question - Does UNC pay free turition to the children of teachers and coaches, if so Lebo would not need a scholarship.

Question - Does UNC pay free turition to the children of teachers and coaches, if so Lebo would not need a scholarship.
I don't think he is on scholarship. I was under the impression he was a walk on.

Can't remember which year but a recent one...I looked up heights of starters in the ACC and there was only one team other than UNC with a PF over 6'7. I think Leaky might even be more suited to a 4 in modern college bball.
I've wondered about that, too. I'd still like to see him put on some muscle. And maybe join some football team contact drills.

I could certainly see him playing some high post.

Reactions: unchampions
As do I. Bacot and Manek will both be gone after next season. We must start rebuilding our front line.
I'd also like another big, but do we have a good wing starter? Love/Walton/Manek/Bacot seem like near locks to start to me, but after that... There's some question marks about all of Davis/Harris/McCoy/Leaky. I suppose there aren't any top wings out there, but if there was I think that'd be a bigger need.

Last piece Heels need is a center to backup Mondo. Davis cannot wait too long adding a piece since many of these kids in the portal are making decisions. Cannot go into next season with only one big.

Last piece Heels need is a center to backup Mondo. Davis cannot wait too long adding a piece since many of these kids in the portal are making decisions. Cannot go into next season with only one big

That assumption does not take into account that Bacot could indeed go pro. I think that would be a mistake at this time but it could happen...

There's some question marks about all of Davis/Harris/McCoy/Leaky. I suppose there aren't any top wings out there, but if there was I think that'd be a bigger need.
I understand. I also agree that Love, Walton, Manek, and Bacot are locks to start.

As for wings: Love and Davis didn’t play well together last season. We can speculate as to why, but they simply didn’t. Harris was recovering from 2 ACL surgeries. He played well right after he came back, but seemed to hit the wall thereafter. I think his lack of conditioning may have been the issue. Black just hasn’t developed anything like I thought he might. Unless he improves greatly, I would severely limit his time. He certainly wouldn’t start. I love the young man, he just doesn’t seem to have any alpha dog in his mental makeup.

I’m unsure what McKoy will contribute, he does seem to be a smart, coachable player with good size. Perhaps never a star, but a continuity guy? Styles might wind up getting a lot of PT at SF, particularly if Black and Harris aren’t producing. Dunn could get some burn too. We simply must get more productivity from the SG/SF wing spots. Almost complete lack of scoring/rebounding from those two spots killed us last year.

Roy’s success as a coach has been largely predicated on dominating the boards and forcing tempo. The last 2-3 years we’ve struggled mightily to score, while continuing to rebound well. I think our inability to hit perimeter shots, allowing defenses to sag down and clog the lane, has been perhaps the biggest factor in our scoring woes. If our PF is going to be roaming the perimeter, we have to shoot much better because our rebounding is going to suffer. Everyone is going to have to hit the boards hard to compensate, including our guards.

Will that open up our offense and create better scoring opportunities? In theory, it could. But guys still have to make shots, including FT’s(we were simply inept at the line, no way to sugarcoat it).

Sorry for the lengthy post, recurring back issues keep me up half the night.

Last edited:
It's not happening.
Getting Manek and a backup center should help. But we can't control whether some pro team(s) will make guarantees that appeal to him.

It won't be easy for Bacot to improve upon last year's numbers, but there are other things he could work on that could move him into the 1st round next year.

I'm rooting for Day'Ron Sharpe to ditch his agent and return for another year.

He can do that, right?

That would solve our front court problem for a year.

It would make recruiting for the following year an even bigger priority, though.

I'm rooting for Day'Ron Sharpe to ditch his agent and return for another year.

He can do that, right?

That would solve our front court problem for a year.

It would make recruiting for the following year an even bigger priority, though.
Bacot is coming back.

Sharpe is gone, signed agent or not.

I understand. I also agree that Love, Walton, Manek, and Bacot are locks to start.

As for wings: Love and Davis didn’t play well together last season. We can speculate as to why, but they simply didn’t. Harris was recovering from 2 ACL surgeries. He played well right after he came back, but seemed to hit the wall thereafter. I think his lack of conditioning may have been the issue. Black just hasn’t developed anything like I thought he might. Unless he improves greatly, I would severely limit his time. He certainly wouldn’t start. I love the young man, he just doesn’t seem to have any alpha dog in his mental makeup.

I’m unsure what McKoy will contribute, he does seem to be a smart, coachable player with good size. Perhaps never a star, but a continuity guy? Styles might wind up getting a lot of PT at SF, particularly if Black and Harris aren’t producing. Dunn could get some burn too. We simply must get more productivity from the SG/SF wing spots. Almost complete lack of scoring/rebounding from those two spots killed us last year.

Roy’s success as a coach has been largely predicated on dominating the boards and forcing tempo. The last 2-3 years we’ve struggled mightily to score, while continuing to rebound well. I think our inability to hit perimeter shots, allowing defenses to sag down and clog the lane, has been perhaps the biggest factor in our scoring woes. If our PF is going to be roaming the perimeter, we have to shoot much better because our rebounding is going to suffer. Everyone is going to have to hit the boards hard to compensate, including our guards.

Will that open up our offense and create better scoring opportunities? In theory, it could. But guys still have to make shots, including FT’s(we were simply inept at the line, no way to sugarcoat it).

Sorry for the lengthy post, recurring back issues keep me up half the night.
Sorry to hear about your back issues.

I agree with everything you said. That's why I'd rather have a good wing if we could only take one (fortunately we still have two scholarships). I think Manek will do wonders for the offense, but if Leaky plays 30 minutes per game again and plays similarly to last year that will probably keep us from being a top team. Davis and Harris have lots of potential, but also have a long way to go to be top players.

I'm betting on McCoy at least being a capable backup 4 (he was likely to start at 4 for UVA), so I think we only need 15 minutes from a backup center to Bacot. I also think Leaky could play 4 and Manek/McCoy could play 5 in a pinch. We'd be small in the latter scenario but lots of teams with less recruiting power run out similar lineups (e.g., Syracuse with Dolezaj at center, VT with 6'5" Chris Clarke at center whenever Blackshear came out a couple years ago, heck we played Luke Maye at 5 his junior year and he was ~6'7").

The one counterargument to my point is probably that adding another wing could cause a transfer, as we'd have a pretty big logjam at 2/3. That's fair, so I suppose it'd have to be someone really good, who may not be out there.

Reactions: Archer2
I hear you and I wish he would come back.

From what I have gathered, as soon as there was talks about the NBA it was a done deal, regardless of what round.

That seems weird. Why would you leave without a guaranteed contract? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: gd15nc
That seems weird. Why would you leave without a guaranteed contract? That just doesn't make sense to me.
He probably feels his better bet to get on a NBA team would be to be in the G League next season instead of college. I tend to agree with him, he's going to crush workouts and he was apparently our best player in practices last year. Scouts will drool over him.

He probably feels his better bet to get on a NBA team would be to be in the G League next season instead of college. I tend to agree with him, he's going to crush workouts and he was apparently our best player in practices last year. Scouts will drool over him.

Then why wouldn't he be an easy first round pick?

I also think Leaky could play 4 and Manek/McCoy could play 5 in a pinch.
Probably right, and they may have to. But I don't think they'd be good in that role.

Watching Manek's clips, he's not afraid to go inside. But back to the basket is not his game and I fear he won't be durable if we use him that way. Plus, we really need his outside scoring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT