ADVERTISEMENT

Which young DL improve the most?

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
Not many upper classmen last yr, but I'm mostly talking about Des Evans, Pinder, Murphy, Rucker.
Theoretically Tomari, Vohasek, Tomon, Hopper, Collins & Jahlil will all be a little stronger, bigger, wiser and more consistent, but mileage varies on this.

Evans, Pinder, Murphy had ZERO time with SC Coach Hess last yr...

Not many upper classmen last yr, but I'm mostly talking about Des Evans, Pinder, Murphy, Rucker.
Theoretically Tomari, Vohasek, Tomon, Hopper, Collins & Jahlil will all be a little stronger, bigger, wiser and more consistent, but mileage varies on this.

Year 2 will be huge for those guys, including Bingley Jones who is coming off of an injury and didn't play last year. Those frosh got a good taste of the college game last year and all expected to make big strides in year 2. Add in the "Hess Effect" and I'm really excited about those guys plus the ones coming in. Rucker is the wild card, IMO. Not highly recruited but really jumped out when he got a chance to get on the field.

Reactions: cralls and Archer2
Sometimes guys really make a jump, due to maturity (phys and/or mental, etc) some guys just progress gradually. Like Tomon Fox, he showed flashes pre-injury as a frosh, and has slowly gotten a little more solid, but never made a huge leap.

Kareem Martin showed flashes as a frosh, we very good his next two yrs, then really exploded as a senior.

Malik Carney was a dud before becoming a surprise stud.

Getting used to bulk is such an issue for interior guys. I feel like Nazir was pretty disruptive in year 2, maybe Murphy could make just as much of a leap.

Sometimes guys really make a jump, due to maturity (phys and/or mental, etc) some guys just progress gradually. Like Tomon Fox, he showed flashes pre-injury as a frosh, and has slowly gotten a little more solid, but never made a huge leap.

Kareem Martin showed flashes as a frosh, we very good his next two yrs, then really exploded as a senior.

Malik Carney was a dud before becoming a surprise stud.

Getting used to bulk is such an issue for interior guys. I feel like Nazir was pretty disruptive in year 2, maybe Murphy could make just as much of a leap.

I think the D takes a major step forward this year. All 3 levels; front, middle and the back end have major contributors both coming back and coming in that will be game changers. Can't wait to see it.

Reactions: Archer2

Silver and Ritzie should be physically ready to make an impact from day one. I would add the competition at LB moving forward is going to be insane.

Mack is getting the D back to the 90's standard we all enjoyed watching. Kick ass and take names.

DL wasn't all that dominant. I'm glad the entire D will be better but it all starts up front. Teams like wake and uva got craptons of first downs, yards, and pts.

DL wasn't all that dominant. I'm glad the entire D will be better but it all starts up front. Teams like wake and uva got craptons of first downs, yards, and pts.

Murphy and Pinder didn't get a ton of PT early in the season. Both of those 2 going into year 2 and healthy plus Bingley Jones, Silver and Ritzie -- yes please. Gotta have multiple bodies up front to stay fresh and they've finally got some depth at every position. The bonus is that both Silver and Ritzie are already enrolled and working with Hess, which is huge.

Reactions: Archer2
The DL also wasn't very big since we often had a 4 man front involving hopper/tomon at same time. I don't know how the balance PT but I'm thinking Bateman would rather play three huge DT types at once, or two DT with one NT (pinder or jahlil size).

ADVERTISEMENT