ADVERTISEMENT

Whitmore feels wanted at UNC

Tom79

Hall of Famer
Dec 2, 2002

Cam Whitmore discusses recruitment, sets commitment timeline: "I feel wanted" at UNC​

Fast-rising four-star small forward Cam Whitmore is down to 10 schools and plans on a winter decision. On North Carolina: "I have a good relationship with the coach. The head coach cares about his players, he cares about me so I feel wanted there. I like how he knows what he's talking about for the development piece. So I think they could be a good fit." (247 Sports)

North Carolina

Warm
P Jeff Lebo

I live 10 minutes from his school in Maryland. A guy close to the school told me 3 weeks ago it was down to UNC and Maryland and if UNC could get him in for an OV he would commit. The kid was 6-2 in the 9th grade and is now a self reported 6-7. He is ranked #1 in Maryland . He can play all 5 positions.

Think a combination of Stackhouse and Vince Carter, with much better ball handling skills.

Last edited:
Aggressive driver.

Very athletic around the rim.

Good handle.

Good hands.

These are highlights, so his treys go in, but most are only lightly defended and he doesn't get them off that quickly. Maybe he can, but didn't need to, but that's something that might need work.

He's wearing #11 in the first clip, #22 in the other 2 clips.

Honestly, if I could chose, I would prefer Nichel, he may not have the "star" quality that Whitmore does but I love the way I think Nichel would fit what Hubert is constructing. Just my opinion...

Honestly, if I could chose, I would prefer Nichel, he may not have the "star" quality that Whitmore does but I love the way I think Nichel would fit what Hubert is constructing. Just my opinion...
I’m thinking we may need another PF vs a SF. I look for Puff to get the lion’s share of the minutes at SF after this year. I like Traudt.

I’m thinking we may need another PF vs a SF. I look for Puff to get the lion’s share of the minutes at SF after this year. I like Traudt.
Yeah, I am really hoping Puff can play well enough to get that lion share of the 3, will he is the question I think most of have. I do believe that in order for us to get the spacing Hubert is wanting that we have to have respected consistent shooting out of our wing forward position at very least from mid range. Puff would be that additional threat out to the trey that allows you to ultimate spread 3 shooters out and even 4 when Bacot comes out and Garcia & Manek are in together. Let Caleb create and either finish or find the open man when they try to drop down and double him. There are HUGE assist numbers to be had there!

Cruz & Lively for me "D"!!

2-on-2 they'd whip Nickel & Whitmore or Nickel & Troudt any day/all day!

:)
Truth is if we can get 2 of these names we will all be really excited but I see something extra in Troudt as a potential college player. Has good size, has some bulk already, think he will really go to another level with work with Jonas. But this kid plays with some good physicality, he is not just an outside jump shooter, he will wade right in to the battle down low and fight.

Lively would be fantastic but I am not feeling it with him, that we snag him. He has a lot of options and it isn't certain he will play college ball right now. I think Troudt and Filipowski stay in the college game longer than Lively and in so make their team better for more than just a single season so I want Hubert to snag one of those 2 kids. Don't read that as if I would not be thrilled if we got Lively but more read it as I will be equally thrilled with any of the 3.

They never miss in these commercials.
I think folks get a bit to carried away with athletism, seen many kids look like the next NBA super star in high school only to discover when they get to college that it is very different playing against guys that were also stars in high school but have been in a college S/C program multiple years. The athletism is very important, I don't want to short that but it is refining skill and understanding the game that meets athletism creating a special player. I see a good bit in Whitmore's vids that I am not sure translates to the college game. He seems to have good quick elevation, seems to have a good college ready strong body and he can clearly dunk. But can he jump shoot against college defenders, can he handle the ball vs college players, can he defend college wings? He has checked off the JP boxes for me but can he add and or refine the skill that JP was not able to?

When I see a vid package so centered on dunkers, see a guy making a living slashing to the rim in high school, I wonder how much of that will translate to the college game. When I see a package of a kid shooting a lot of jumpers that fall I get that feeling that jump shooting does tend to transfer if the kid is able to get the separation he needs to get the shot off. I want to see a wing that lights it up as a jump shooter and would prefer to see that in a full game clip rather than a collection of only the made ones and not showing the misses.

75 is right, many of these vids are more commercials than views of what a kid may be in the college game. They tend to create way to much hype that a kid feels he needs to live up to and to often he can't. 7th Woods was amazing before he got to college, now he is looking for his 3rd college team to play for and the NBA is not talking about him as a potential draftee.

Don't miss-understand, I think the kid has the ability to be a great college player, just saying I see that same thing in several guys we are recruiting and feel the hype going on around this kid is a bit to much. No question I would be thrilled for Hubert to get him but I would be no less thrilled if we got Troudt or Filipowski.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Archer2
I think folks get a bit to carried away with athletism, seen many kids look like the next NBA super star in high school only to discover when they get to college that it is very different playing against guys that were also stars in high school but have been in a college S/C program multiple years. The athletism is very important, I don't want to short that but it is refining skill and understanding the game that meets athletism creating a special player. I see a good bit in Whitmore's vids that I am not sure translates to the college game. He seems to have good quick elevation, seems to have a good college ready strong body and he can clearly dunk. But can he jump shoot against college defenders, can he handle the ball vs college players, can he defend college wings? He has checked off the JP boxes for me but can he add and or refine the skill that JP was not able to?

When I see a vid package so centered on dunkers, see a guy making a living slashing to the rim in high school, I wonder how much of that will translate to the college game. When I see a package of a kid shooting a lot of jumpers that fall I get that feeling that jump shooting does tend to transfer if the kid is able to get the separation he needs to get the shot off. I want to see a wing that lights it up as a jump shooter and would prefer to see that in a full game clip rather than a collection of only the made ones and not showing the misses.

75 is right, many of these vids are more commercials than views of what a kid may be in the college game. They tend to create way to much hype that a kid feels he needs to live up to and to often he can't. 7th Woods was amazing before he got to college, now he is looking for his 3rd college team to play for and the NBA is not talking about him as a potential draftee.

Don't miss-understand, I think the kid has the ability to be a great college player, just saying I see that same thing in several guys we are recruiting and feel the hype going on around this kid is a bit to much. No question I would be thrilled for Hubert to get him but I would be no less thrilled if we got Troudt or Filipowski.
My man Dave, we probably agree on 95% of issues . You make some good points, but this is where we differ.

Hubert will be running a 4 out-1 in offense. You put Whitmore in as a small ball 4 and he would put up 10pts in a hurry with his ballhandling skills. The kid can create his own shot. If Hubert wants him I want him. I think Hubert has proven that he can recruit when vast majority on this board said he would fail because he had no head coaching experience. I live 10-minutes from the Cam's high school in the DMV and hot word around here is that if Hubert gets him in for an OV it's a done deal. Hubert is looking to fill 2 spots (Traudt or Filopowski -4/3) and 2/3 (Cruz/Whitmore). No doubt we need a kid like Traudt who shoots lights out. I think if Hubert does not land him or Filipowski he will get someone off the portal with similar skills.

As for the JP Tokoto comparison, we will have to see how that turns out. This kid was 6-2 point guard in the 9th grade. In a pinch, this kid could run the point for several minutes a game. JP could not do that. He is also a much better free throw shooter than JP, having hit 14/15 in a high school game last season. He is now 6-7 and can take anyone off the dribble to the hoop. Villanova was the leader for him but that seems to have faded.

I agree that I may be going overboard on the kid, but we will have to see how he performs on the college level, whether it is UNC or another school.

Last edited:
Cam is a stud and will be a welcome asset. I would welcome any 2 of the 4-5 mentioned, but there is some star power in Cam that is just not there in the others. He is a baller and I know he will adjust very quickly to the college game! He is an alpha dog and the only thing I worry about is how much he is willing to sublimate his game for the team's success!

My man Dave, we probably agree on 95% of issues . You make some good points, but this is where we differ.

Hubert will be running a 4 out-1 in offense. You put Whitmore in as a small ball 4 and he would put up 10pts in a hurry with his ballhandling skills. The kid can create his own shot. If Hubert wants him I want him. I think Hubert has proven that he can recruit when vast majority on this board said he would fail because he had no head coaching experience. I live 10-minutes from the Cam's high school in the DMV and hot word around here is that if Hubert gets him in for an OV it's a done deal. Hubert is looking to fill 2 spots (Traudt or Filopowski -4/3) and 2/3 (Cruz/Whitmore). No doubt we need a kid like Traudt who shoots lights out. I think if Hubert does not land him or Filipowski he will get someone off the portal with similar skills.

As for the JP Tokoto comparison, we will have to see how that turns out. This kid was 6-2 point guard in the 9th grade. In a pinch, this kid could run the point for several minutes a game. JP could not do that. He is also a much better free throw shooter than JP, having hit 14/15 in a high school game last season. He is now 6-7 and can take anyone off the dribble to the hoop. Villanova was the leader for him but that seems to have faded.

I agree that I may be going overboard on the kid, but we will have to see how he performs on the college level, whether it is UNC or another school.
No problem steat, we just discussin, we ain't fussin! LOL

But your being down the street from the kid, I do have a couple questions. First is how well does he really jump shoot, it has to be well enough to sell the jumper to allow his drive to work. If there is no threat of a jumper then they just play him to drive every time.

Second question, you share that you have been told that if we can get a visit that he will commit? If he likes us so much that he would pull the trigger that quick it is hard to understand why we would struggle to get a visit?

Reactions: TheGLOV
No problem steat, we just discussin, we ain't fussin! LOL

But your being down the street from the kid, I do have a couple questions. First is how well does he really jump shoot, it has to be well enough to sell the jumper to allow his drive to work. If there is no threat of a jumper then they just play him to drive every time.

Second question, you share that you have been told that if we can get a visit that he will commit? If he likes us so much that he would pull the trigger that quick it is hard to understand why we would struggle to get a visit?

The kid just came on UNC's radar in June when he already had visits set-up for other schools. July is the evaluation period and most kids are playing in tournaments.

When Hubert saw him play at DMV Live in June he hit 9-13 three point shots. I agree, his 3-point shooting is a concern, but the kid is a monster otherwise as pointed out in Bossi's article today.

Whitmore would florish in 4 out offense despite having a stellar outside shot. He would just drive by his guy and dunk over him. His mid-range game is pretty solid.

IMO, Hubert needs to bring in a knockdown 3-point shooter in "addition" to Whitmore. If not Traudt, Filipowski or Nichol, then hit the portal.

From all indications he is setting up a visit to UNC in August or early September. I'm all in on the kid.

Last edited:
The kid just came on UNC's radar in June when he already had visits set-up for other schools. July is the evaluation period and most kids are playing in tournaments.

When Hubert saw him play at DMV Live in June he hit 9-13 three point shots. I agree, his 3-point shooting is a concern, but the kid is a monster otherwise as pointed out in Bossi's article today.

Whitmore would florish in 4 out offense despite having a stellar outside shot. He would just drive by his guy and dunk over him. His mid-range game is pretty solid.

IMO, Hubert needs to bring in a knockdown 3-point shooter in "addition" to Whitmore. If not Traudt, Filipowski or Nichol, then hit the portal.

From all indications he is setting up a visit to UNC in August or early September. I'm all in on the kid.
OK, thanks !

"IMO, Hubert needs to bring in a knockdown 3-point shooter in "addition" to Whitmore"... Why?

Last edited:
You can always tell when a kid has that something special even if you can't define it! He is a sure fire star, the only concern would be does he fit into the Tar Heel team concept! I see a Cade Cunningham in the making!

I'd be delighted to get Whitmore and Filipowski.

Lively might be better than Filipowski, but my guess is that F will be decent as a frosh and will stick around longer.

Unfortunately, F is looking like Duke lean. But you never know.

Cam had a tough shooting night (3-10 & 1-4) for 9 points and lost. Jalen Washington with 16 & 10 in the victory

I'd be delighted to get Whitmore and Filipowski.

Lively might be better than Filipowski, but my guess is that F will be decent as a frosh and will stick around longer.

Unfortunately, F is looking like Duke lean. But you never know.
I suspect Filapowski may wait and be a late commit for where ever he ends up, at this point that would be the smart move for him. If duke is his spot, it would make sense to see how the coming season turns out for them and see who may be there to play beside considering that K will no longer be the coach after next season and who knows how Scheyer will run that program or how successful Scheyer will be as a recruiter with the final word. Much more is known now about how successful Hubert may be recruiting than is known about Scheyer and we have a much better idea on how Hubert will build his teams and style of play than we know about scheyer. It is more of the known vs more of the unknown that leads me to think our chances with Filipowski would go way up if we can get a visit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT