ADVERTISEMENT

Who Is Your Favorite UNC Basketball Player of All Time?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Not who is best - although I'm sure that will be a factor for most of us - but who is your favorite, based on whatever factors you choose (and I hope you will share those reasons).

[I stole this idea from @Morrison71 on the Rivals Iowa Off Topic board - just to give credit where credit is due.]

This won't be easy. Two who leap to mind immediately are Phil Ford and Tyler Hansbrough. Yes, ahead of Michael. James Worthy and Sam Perkins were big favorites in their time, too. Ditto Billy Cunningham, Bobby Lewis and Larry Miller.

Yeah, I'm old.

I'm sure you guys will remind me of some who aren't popping to mind.

qFwYq_.gif

1) TH

Honorable Mention:
Danny Green
Ty Lawson
Wayne Ellington
Black Falcon
Antwan Jamison
Big Sean May
Joel Berry
Theo Pinson
Marcus Paige
Kendall Marshall
Donald Williams
Shammond Williams
Stackhouse
Wallace
Vince Carter
Julius Peppers
George Lynch
Tyler Zeller
MJ
Worthy
Perkins
Cota

....OK - way too many to name, compare

Last edited:
I can’t do 1, so here’s my starting 5

Lawson
O’Koren
Jamison
Rasheed
Perkins

5 off the bench when Dean or Roy got pissed & yanked all 5 starters (which I can’t imagine would be very often with that 5)

Ford
Shammond
Jordan
Bob McAdoo
Serge Zwikker

I realize in a perfect world I could switch Jordan & O’Koren so each could play their natural position, but O’Koren was my guy, I gotta have him on my 1st team, he’s just gonna have to suck it up & play the 2. Either way, both of those teams would whip a lot of asses.

Edit to add: I think Kessler is going to replace somebody on that list soon, dude is going to be one of my favorites.

This is like trying to pick which child of yours is your favorite. Such an unfair question (but interesting). I just can’t bring myself to name one as I feel like I would be doing a disservice to a “ my other favorites”.

Reactions: Tarheel75
I can’t do 1, so here’s my starting 5

Lawson
O’Koren
Jamison
Rasheed
Perkins

5 off the bench when Dean or Roy got pissed & yanked all 5 starters (which I can’t imagine would be very often with that 5)

Ford
Shammond
Jordan
Bob McAdoo
Serge Zwikker

I realize in a perfect world I could switch Jordan & O’Koren so each could play their natural position, but O’Koren was my guy, I gotta have him on my 1st team, he’s just gonna have to suck it up & play the 2. Either way, both of those teams would whip a lot of asses.

Edit to add: I think Kessler is going to replace somebody on that list soon, dude is going to be one of my favorites.
How can you leave Hansbrough off either one of your teams?

Phil Ford for me and it's not close.

Rest of my top 5 (and I'm listing guys that I just loved the way they played not necessarily best players) would be George Lynch, Marcus Paige, Dudley Bradley and Hansbrough.
Can i just say the entire 1977 and 2017 teams?
No? OK...

1. PHIL FORD
2. JOEL BERRY

Over the years I've tended to gravitate to "favorites" in two categories:

1) Eye-popping talent that doesn't fully blossom, or comes to fruition later:
When I got my first exposure to Carolina basketball as a youngun I was attracted to eye-popping ability, and my first "favorite" was Bill Chamberlain --- a highly underrated sky-walking small forward who captured my imagination. On a similar note, I always pulled extra hard for Kevin Madden years later, although he never quite reached his potential. Then there was Vinsanity, who although overshadowed in college by Jamison, was my favorite in that era by far, And I'll go ahead and say it --- at least while he was here I pulled extra hard for McCants --- SO much talent but just couldn't keep his head pulled outta his ass.

2) Coach's wish-list:
I've also gravitated to the players who --- whether stars or rotation guys --- just pop out to a coach's eye, particularly for our system. Obviously, Psycho was the embodiment of that --- and duh, Worthy, Perkins and Michael--- but so many guys like Bobby Jones, Walter Davis, Mike O'Koren, Eric Montross, Jeff Lebo and George Lynch fit that bill, but I also loved me some Dudley Bradley, who made himself from a gawky offensively-challenged bench guy into the Secretary of Defense. And when I spot unselfish players who --- although underappreciated --- just do a lotta "coach" things right to help the team, they also hit my "favorite" list for their era--- Jon Keuster, Scott Williams, Pete Chilcutt, Pat Sullivan, Theo Pinson, Steve Hale, Leslie McDonald, Kennedy Meeks, Stilman White, Wes Miller, Jimmy Black and yes, Andrew Platek.

How can you leave Hansbrough off either one of your teams?

It asked for favorites, not the best. I loved what he did for us, (& that other people, mostly dookies & peckers, couldn’t stand his ass), but he’s just not in my top 10. Plus I go back a long way so that includes a lot of Tar Heels.

My Blue Steel all time would probably be the best of the 3 groups.

Felton
Sweet D
Vince
Lynch
Worthy

Last edited:
1) TH

Honorable Mention:
Danny Green
Ty Lawson
Wayne Ellington
Black Falcon
Antwan Jamison
Big Sean May
Joel Berry
Theo Pinson
Marcus Paige
Kendall Marshall
Donald Williams
Shammond Williams
Stackhouse
Wallace
Vince Carter
Julius Peppers
George Lynch
Tyler Zeller
MJ
Worthy
Perkins
Cota

....OK - way too many to name, compare

We are indeed blessed as a fan base, having this many players to choose from!

Reactions: Heelicious
I have always thought that the embodiment of UNC basketball would be best defined by Phil Ford. And as such, he was and will always be the one I favor above all players the most.

With the above being said; My affinity for Carolina Basketball would include every single player before and after myself who worked and sacrificed to just be a part of something that you come to realize is so, so much greater than any one individual.
Just to be included in the "Carolina Family" fraternity of players, whether you were a great or small talent, was the epitome of a successful collegiate career and the springboard to a better than average future.

Last edited:
Just to be included in the "Carolina Family" sorority of players, whether you were a great or small talent, was the epitome of a successful collegiate career and the springboard to a better than average future.

75 - not sure that term is the first one that comes to my mind in discussing Carolina basketball, but the point is well made. One of my best friends played JV and then was offered a spot on varsity. Even though he was never on varsity with Jordan they became good friends and also the parents of both of them. That bond shared by the players at UNC is truly something that no other school can replicate, mainly because it was started by a coach interested in his players growth and success after college and not as a marketing gimmick to promote a brand (cough, brotherhood, cough cough)

I have always thought that the embodiment of UNC basketball would be best defined by Phil Ford. And as such, he was and will always be the one I favor above all players the most.

With the above being said; My affinity for Carolina Basketball would include every single player before and after myself who worked and sacrificed to just be a part of something that you come to realize is so, so much greater than any one individual.
Just to be included in the "Carolina Family" sorority of players, whether you were a great or small talent, was the epitome of a successful collegiate career and the springboard to a better than average future.
Amen to that.

75 - not sure that term is the first one that comes to my mind in discussing Carolina basketball, but the point is well made. One of my best friends played JV and then was offered a spot on varsity. Even though he was never on varsity with Jordan they became good friends and also the parents of both of them. That bond shared by the players at UNC is truly something that no other school can replicate, mainly because it was started by a coach interested in his players growth and success after college and not as a marketing gimmick to promote a brand (cough, brotherhood, cough cough)

Haha, hah! Got to forgive me on that one, as you should know that when you were young or when you think young, that is a particular singular thought of males, huh?
I meant to put fraternity, I will change that....., LMAO.

Just to be included in the "Carolina Family" fraternity of players, whether you were a great or small talent, was the epitome of a successful collegiate career and the springboard to a better than average future.

We absolutely agree on Phil and frankly, bet we as well agree that Phil is a better man than he was a player and that for me is a tall order that he filled. But I am curious, you, as a former UNC player and a big man, who is your favorite big man, not asking the most talented but asking your favorite? Not fair, I know, so let me make it a bit easier, your favorite 3 in no particular order?

Mine, again, in no particular order, Bobby Jones, George Lynch, and "Big Game" James Worthy (with honorable mention to Bob McAdoo)!

I have thought on this since seeing the OP this morning and have concluded that I have a new favorite Tar Heel player every year! It's been Ford, Worthy, Jones, Davis, etc... but this year it's Kerwin Walton. Love his humble, laidback attitude, his intelligence, and of course his jump shot. I hope he never loses the hair!

Reactions: Heelicious
We absolutely agree on Phil and frankly, bet we as well agree that Phil is a better man than he was a player and that for me is a tall order that he filled. But I am curious, you, as a former UNC player and a big man, who is your favorite big man, not asking the most talented but asking your favorite? Not fair, I know, so let me make it a bit easier, your favorite 3 in no particular order?

Mine, again, in no particular order, Bobby Jones, George Lynch, and "Big Game" James Worthy (with honorable mention to Bob McAdoo)!

Bobby would certainly have to have a place in my top 3. I never considered George a big man, as he was only about 6' 6" and maybe 1/4". My bigs would start at 6' 8" and up.
Sam Perkins, and Big Game James. With a shout out to Tyler H, Mitch K, Tommy L, Brad D., & Brice J, with a finger point to the Kangaroo Kid, although being only 6" 5", he played a lot taller. I believe that Bob McAdoo, if he had played more than 1 year would have most likely been the best that we have ever had at that position.

Last edited:
This thread is making me miss - more than ever - the times when really good players would stay until sophomore year at minimum, usually til junior year, often til senior year.

The current status of OAD - and if any player shows some brief glimpse / flash of raw unfinished, unpolished, unrefined, inexperienced potential (pure athletic gifts) and poof! - they are gone to the unwatchable NBA, maybe they pan out there, odds are they don't.... it's so horrible / depressing.

WoW, what a fantastic post, respect man, big respect!

You are so right, Dean Smith, was a great college basketball coach, for my money the greatest basketball coach to ever walk the side lines, better than Wooden, Rupp, K, Bobby Knight, and yes better than Roy (who would very quickly tell you the same thing). But it was that sense of genuine caring for ALL his players, both current and former that made all the difference. And ask any former player, they will tell ya, it didn't matter if you were a walk on or Michael Jordan he cared just as much. And it was not a caring formed from what those players did or could do for him, it was 100% about the man caring for those kids above ANYTHING else.

The UNC family was not some created nonsense used to spin media head lines, like you know the so called "brotherhood" in Durham, some knock off weak copy shared only for what it could do for that coach over in durham. It was real and Dean would have preferred it remain a secret between he and the players he loved, it was for Dean always all about his players, it was never about him. IN fact, Dean saw himself as nothing more than a college teacher, he was never comfortable with praise that was so well deserved being heaped on him. He really did not like the fact that the dome was named after him, that was the humility of the man.

Ask 75, guarantee ya he will tell ya, you didn't always like what Dean said to you, thou he never cussed you he would rip you to shreds with that nasally simple question, when did I teach you that, you would have rather been cussed out by Bobby Knight than to hear Dean hit you with that or to ever feel you disappointed that man? LOL

Of all the things Roy did not take from Dean, he was darn sure smart enough to copy what he knew was Dean most powerful super ability, genuine caring and love for his players both past and present and Roy will tell ya, that is exactly why Roy has been as successful as he has and is himself in the hall of fame.

Reactions: Tarheel75
Bobby would certainly have to have a place in my top 3. I never considered George a big man, as he was only about 6' 6" and maybe 1/4". My bigs would start at 6' 8" and up.
Sam Perkins, and Big Game James. With a shout out to Mitch K, Tommy L, Brad D., & Brice J, with a finger point to the Kangaroo Kid, although being only 6" 5", he played a lot taller. I believe that Bob McAdoo, if he had played more than 1 year would have most likely been the best that we have ever had at that position.
Yeah, I think we are pretty much on the same page, really appreciate your view on this question considering you walk in the shoes of a former UNC big man.

I included George knowing many would see that and not agree, he did most often play at the 4 even being under sized. But when I think of a leader, when I think of a guy I would be willing to go to war with, George Lynch is my guy, he is my definition of a leader. Now he didn't have that crazy talent, he was undersized for his position, he was not a great shooter, wasn't the most athletic guy I ever saw at our 4 spot. But his shear will to lead, the respect he commanded and the other guys on the team, it was about what Coach said and what George said, it was always the same thing but George was out there with ya. Loved that kid!

You invoke a list of names of guys I loved, Mitch was one of my favorites, Tommy was special, Big Brad is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and really down to earth. Brice, LOL, never forget, I spend a few hours in the home of his former high school coach just outside of Orangeburg SC shortly after Brice committed to us, he told me, you guys are gonna love Brice, he was right, did tell me that Roy was going to have to watch out for him a little bit because he could be a hot head at times, but he was a really sweet kid! LOL

The Roo kid, just a touch before I really got plugged in to UNC basketball, same for Charlie, really wish I had been in to UNC basketball when Charlie was with us, he may have rivaled the respect I have for Phil, and as I said, that is a mega thing coming from me cause Phil was, is, and will always be Mr UNC to me.

For what it is worth, if Dean were alive today and willing to be totally honest with you (and Dean would NEVER EVER say this publicly because he would have never have said anything that indicated he preferred one kid over another), I think Dean would have told you his favorite player to have coached may have been Charlie Scott with Phil being a really close second, agree?

The younger guys who didn't see Phil Ford play might wonder why the apparent obsession...but those old guys of us here who have seen them ALL play know that he was just that special. Just incredible, and for once I'm not using that word as hyperbole.

My second choice is Ed Cota. Not saying he was the second greatest, but damn it was fun watching him play. The dishmaster. The Cota flota. He made some really good players look even better, set up some of the most fantastic plays. I love that guy.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Yeah, I think we are pretty much on the same page, really appreciate your view on this question considering you walk in the shoes of a former UNC big man.

I included George knowing many would see that and not agree, he did most often play at the 4 even being under sized. But when I think of a leader, when I think of a guy I would be willing to go to war with, George Lynch is my guy, he is my definition of a leader. Now he didn't have that crazy talent, he was undersized for his position, he was not a great shooter, wasn't the most athletic guy I ever saw at our 4 spot. But his shear will to lead, the respect he commanded and the other guys on the team, it was about what Coach said and what George said, it was always the same thing but George was out there with ya. Loved that kid!

You invoke a list of names of guys I loved, Mitch was one of my favorites, Tommy was special, Big Brad is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and really down to earth. Brice, LOL, never forget, I spend a few hours in the home of his former high school coach just outside of Orangeburg SC shortly after Brice committed to us, he told me, you guys are gonna love Brice, he was right, did tell me that Roy was going to have to watch out for him a little bit because he could be a hot head at times, but he was a really sweet kid! LOL

The Roo kid, just a touch before I really got plugged in to UNC basketball, same for Charlie, really wish I had been in to UNC basketball when Charlie was with us, he may have rivaled the respect I have for Phil, and as I said, that is a mega thing coming from me cause Phil was, is, and will always be Mr UNC to me.

For what it is worth, if Dean were alive today and willing to be totally honest with you (and Dean would NEVER EVER say this publicly because he would have never have said anything that indicated he preferred one kid over another), I think Dean would have told you his favorite player to have coached may have been Charlie Scott with Phil being a really close second, agree?

I can't supplant an individual that you feel was favored by DES. However, I will disagree with your choice(s) only in this regard...., Phil was his favorite, hands down and all former players knew this. After all, he had him on the bench with him for a lot of years. And Phil had opportunities to become a head coach, but would not take any offers, as he felt perfectly at home and was comfortable on the UNC bench with coach Smith.

Regardless of Phil's issues with alcohol, he was the very best teacher
for PG's and SG's that we have had in our storied history. Coach Smith treated Phil just as a father would, and, at times, had Phil on a short leash to help him fight his demon and win the fight of his life.

As for Charles, I don't think that he and coach Smith had an extremely close relationship, but Charles was not treated equally by the Status Quo ( ie: press, sports writers, officials, student body, and even 1 or so teammates ).

Coach Smith became his champion by speaking out publicly and often about one standard for the white athlete and one or no standards for the black athlete. It took several years of crusading on Charles' behalf before he got a somewhat equal footing among his peers and the others associated with the League and, if you remember, he was overlooked his junior year, I believe, as not only the POY in the ACC, but also the MVP of the ACCT. There were definitely other players that Coach was a little more fond of.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
So many to choose from. I was born in the mid 70’s so my earliest memories are of Jordan, Perkins, Worthy, Lebo, etc.

Here are my favorites. Not the best to play at UNC, but my favorites for different reasons. I would say the team would be pretty dang competitive too.

PG - Jeff Lebo - Great shooter and I grew up watching him and attending camps where he was a counselor. Loved his fundamentals.

SG - Rashad McCants - All drama aside, he was a beast. I love his game,not his post-UNC decisions.

SF - Cameron Johnson (the perfect 3 for UNC. I would’ve loved to have him 3-4 years.)

PF - Antawn Jamison - As quick off the bounce as I’ve seen at unc. One of the best too.

C - Rasheed Wallace - So many things he could do well. I love his swag too.

+1

Phil IS THE REASON I am a Heels fan. As a kid in the mid/late 70's, I was enamored with Phil and the Heels before I really even knew anything about how great a person and coach that Dean was.

My 1st as a really little fella was Jimmy Black. Not my favorite watching since, but you always remember your first. 😆

Reactions: wagrub30
This thread is making me miss - more than ever - the times when really good players would stay until sophomore year at minimum, usually til junior year, often til senior year.

The current status of OAD - and if any player shows some brief glimpse / flash of raw unfinished, unpolished, unrefined, inexperienced potential (pure athletic gifts) and poof! - they are gone to the unwatchable NBA, maybe they pan out there, odds are they don't.... it's so horrible / depressing.
Zeller.

When Barnes, Marshall, Henson and Zeller left, I thought the guy we might miss most was Zeller. Still think that.

Zeller doesn't move ahead of the other guys I mentioned, but he belongs in the conversation after Ford and Hansbrough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT