ADVERTISEMENT

Who Is Your Favorite UNC Basketball Player of All Time?

James Worthy.. brought Dean his 1st natty and i was a youngin hooked forever watching it!
spent all summer at the park in the post working on that spin move, even though i was 5'10" Ha Ha
Great memories!

So many to choose from. other favorites are George Lynch, Tyler, Antawn, Marcus, Theo, Jet, Okoren

I’ve been watching since the mid 80s but Berry is my favorite. Those ankles felt like another in a long line of injuries that sidetracked title contending Tar Heel teams. To push through and play at such a high level I still think was a miracle and represented all the toughness that felt missing in the years before and after his run. The one kid I absolutely had to be at his senior day.

Phil Ford!

MJ
Sheed
Hans

Berry
Paige
Smooth
Jamison
Worthy
Lynch
Cota
Lawson
Anybody named Williams!

Dang this is soooo hard!

Reactions: Skizz
FAVORITE: Dennis Wuycik
BEST (In terms of talent): Ford
(In terms of value to the team): Rosenbluth

Impossible for me to name 1.

In no order combing through my memories with no analysis or statistical back up .. just who I remember proving those visceral and audible "D@#$!" moments in a game:
Jamison, Cota, Marshall, Hansbrough, Donald Williams, JR Reid, Fox, Berry, Shammond Williams, Stackhouse, Wallace, Carter, Cam Johnson, Danny Green, Wayne Ellington... from young childhood I remember Al Wood, Worthy, Perkins Lebo, Kenny Smith, Daugherty,

Geez. We've been lucky folks.

Not who is best - although I'm sure that will be a factor for most of us - but who is your favorite, based on whatever factors you choose (and I hope you will share those reasons).

[I stole this idea from @Morrison71 on the Rivals Iowa Off Topic board - just to give credit where credit is due.]

This won't be easy. Two who leap to mind immediately are Phil Ford and Tyler Hansbrough. Yes, ahead of Michael. James Worthy and Sam Perkins were big favorites in their time, too. Ditto Billy Cunningham, Bobby Lewis and Larry Miller.

Yeah, I'm old.

I'm sure you guys will remind me of some who aren't popping to mind.
growing up for me it was LARRY MILLER, there are others CHARLIE SCOTT PHIL FORD SWEET WALTER DAVIS
as announcers called him, in the las few years certainly Michael, hanbrough etc

Ford. I was 13 when he arrived in Chapel Hill. He was so good. The way he handled the ball, the way he ran the 4 Corners, everything. He was my hero. I hit a lot of buzzer beaters in my back yard pretending I was the point guard for the Tar Heels. No one could ever top the feeling I had about Phil Ford. It was magic.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Ty Lawson 100% unstoppable when he wanted to score you could not stop him. Then in his last year when his 3 point shot developed it was even better.

I loved McCants game he was just a head case.

Justin Jackson was an also a favorite of mine!
Lawson was 50/40/80 as a junior. Top level shooting percentage and for a point guard.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
College basketball was awesome back in the day, wasn't it? So many great players who stayed in school because that's just the way it was. Money has ruined it. Guys are entitled to make their money, don't get me wrong, but college basketball is a casualty of all that. I'm hopeful that a good game will emerge from the carnage, but it will never be what it once was.

Phil Ford #1
Tyler
Larry Miller
Bobby Lewis
Eric Montross
Jeff Lebo
not many people have cited larry miller and that's a shame. he didn't have the dean smith dynasty to build on, he STARTED the dynasty. he was a dominant, exciting inside-outside player opponents dreaded. i could mention a lot of his stats and honors for the younger fans, but you really had to be there.

I have several, but I'm going with Donald Williams. Without his timely outside shooting, the Heels would have never won the games leading up to title game and the eventual national champion. Dean Smith got second and last national title that year.

Dick Grubar. Lord, I am getting old
dick grubar was a great tar heel, a high scoring guard out of high school who sacrificed his personal stats to be a true point guard for carolina. he was my favorite counselor at basketball camp, great with kids.

Not who is best - although I'm sure that will be a factor for most of us - but who is your favorite, based on whatever factors you choose (and I hope you will share those reasons).

[I stole this idea from @Morrison71 on the Rivals Iowa Off Topic board - just to give credit where credit is due.]

This won't be easy. Two who leap to mind immediately are Phil Ford and Tyler Hansbrough. Yes, ahead of Michael. James Worthy and Sam Perkins were big favorites in their time, too. Ditto Billy Cunningham, Bobby Lewis and Larry Miller.

Yeah, I'm old.

I'm sure you guys will remind me of some who aren't popping to mind.
Tyler Hansbrough is number 1 to me.
Next 4 are George Lynch, Shammond Williams, Antwan Jamison and Joel Berry

Joel Berry is 1A, Marcus is 1B.

And clearly the people posting Hans have never met the guy. He’s an absolute douchebag in person.

If we're listing favorites in chronological order, Bobby Lewis and Cunningham top my list. Then Larry Miller.

If you saw Lewis before Miller arrived, you know what I mean.

Lewis and Miller were arguably the best duo in UNC history; maybe in ACC history.

Just to be clear, by "duo" I mean 2 guys who played as a duo, not just 2 guys on the same team at the same time.

For example, in 1965, Cunningham and Lewis combined for 46.4 points (25.4 for Cunnigham) and 22.3 rebounds. But they weren't playing as a duo. The next year, Lewis & Miller combined for 48.3 points (27.4 for Lewis) and 15.6 rebounds.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
dick grubar was a great tar heel, a high scoring guard out of high school who sacrificed his personal stats to be a true point guard for carolina. he was my favorite counselor at basketball camp, great with kids.

Good player. But as a boy was at ACC tournament in Charlotte. At that time you could go anywhere you wanted. I'd walk down under the stands to see the players on their way to locker rooms. Never will forget my shock seeing Dean leaning against the wall smoking a cigarette during halftime. But being down in that area I did notice how the cheerleaders reacted to Grubar. That impressed me more than anything he did on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT