ADVERTISEMENT

who starts on the OL?

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
Who are the best 5 guys that Kap rolls out there?

I hear Dillard is looking good, and Spain is an obvious candidate. I suspect Sweet will take a nice step forward after his first yr of reps. He probably learned a ton in that Stanford game alone while facing Solomon Thomas and that 3-4. He's probably better than Charlie Heck or Prince, so I suspect he'll start.

It would be surprising to me if Spain plays OG so Charlie Heck could start. If he is one of the best 5 (over Hatton, Cohen, Khaliel) then he's REALLY good for a rs soph. So my guess is Sweet and Spain are the tackles, Dillard the center, and i'm throwing darts for the 2 OG spots.

I'd think Khaliel has a good shot for the same reason I think Brandon Harris is the most probable QB starter, plus because Prince didn't look like a great fit for OG.

I suspect Hatton will take a step forward, but I think one of his biggest needs is strength and athleticism, and i'm not sure how giant of a step a guy will get from rs frosh to rs soph.

I've heard Cohen has been staying in shape, but he's been away from a training table for over a yr.

I've heard Polino has packed on some pounds...

Any word on JayJay McCargo?

LT - Spain
LG - Hatton
C - Dillard
RG - Cohen
RT - Sweet

If Cohen is as good as he was a true freshman he will start for this team. He was that special.

LT - Spain
LG - Hatton
C - Dillard
RG - Cohen
RT - Sweet

If Cohen is as good as he was a true freshman he will start for this team. He was that special.

So you think Hatton beats out Rodgers? Or have you already moved Rodgers to DT ;)

Who are the best 5 guys that Kap rolls out there?
Great question. OL and RB are probably my two biggest areas of concern coming into camp.

I don't know how to answer the question. There are so many variables with the injuries/shuffling of positions we had last season, two new grad transfers, and Cohen coming back. I can't wait for camp to start so we can see how things shake out.

Complete guess at the two-deep:

LT - Spain / Prince
LG - Hatton / Polino
C - Dillard / Hatton
RG - Rodgers / Cohen
RT - Sweet / Heck

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Cohen showed tons of potential but I'd be pretty shocked if he was opening day starter against Cal.

Hatton is a Center, but with Dilliard there his best chance to play is at G. He was overmatched last year at G so it will be interesting to see how much he's improved. I think Rodgers has a good shot at starting at LG.

Spain and Sweet at the tackle spots seems like the obvious choice, but if Heck is that far along then it does open up the possibility of sliding Spain inside.

Prince would seem to be the favorite at RG but his play last year didn't necessarily solidify anything. This is probably the most likely place for Cohen to work himself back into the rotation.

Overall, barring injury, there's some really good depth and versatility here. I think OL could end up being a lot better than last year despite the uncertainty heading into camp.

media guide says Hatton is up to 300 - so that should help him execute better...

Great question. OL and RB are probably my two biggest areas of concern coming into camp.

I don't know how to answer the question. There are so many variables with the injuries/shuffling of positions we had last season, two new grad transfers, and Cohen coming back. I can't wait for camp to start so we can see how things shake out.

Complete guess at the two-deep:

LT - Spain / Prince
LG - Hatton / Polino
C - Dillard / Hatton
RG - Rodgers / Cohen
RT - Sweet / Heck

This, but I bet that Melton backs up Rodgers instead of Cohen. IMO, Cohen has a long road to gain back the trust of the coaches and more importantly, his teammates. If he can backup both guard positions this year, I'd be elated.

Reactions: lerario
Okay, sounds like we all have varying opinions on the OG and the whether Hatton, Rodgers or Prince winds up on the bench.

If somehow Rodgers ends up second-string he should aim for backup DT, since we rotate DT much more than OL.

Oh, and regarding Cohen having a long road to gain trust, I feel much of the interior is flaky, which also might be why the coaches recruited Dillard/Rodgers.

Didn't Prince almost quit last summer? And didn't Hatton flake out and leave the team for a week after the UGA game?

Kap trusted Cohen his freshman year when he pulled Caleb Peterson out and played Cohen in some crucial situations. The Pitt game comes to mind when I say that. Kap's trust in Cohen's talent isn't in question here. The question is, is Cohen the same talent he was when he was here... If he is, he will play. No doubt about it.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I think the coaches recruited Rodgers and Dillard because they aren't comfy with what we had otherwise.

Interior had 6 returning:
5th yr - Prince
3rd yr - Polino, Hatton
2nd yr - McCargo, Pritchett, Elder

2016 had 7 interior returnees (Ferranto, Caleb, Crowley, Henson, Prince, Polino, Hatton)

2015 had just 5 returning (Landon, Dancy, Caleb, Crowley, Henson)

So we had the bodies, the coaches obviously weren't happy with the bodies we had in the short-term. So I see could easily see both Hatton and Prince (and any other returnees from the above list) on the pine.

I think the coaches recruited Rodgers and Dillard because they aren't comfy with what we had otherwise.

Interior had 6 returning:
5th yr - Prince
3rd yr - Polino, Hatton
2nd yr - McCargo, Pritchett, Elder

2016 had 7 interior returnees (Ferranto, Caleb, Crowley, Henson, Prince, Polino, Hatton)

2015 had just 5 returning (Landon, Dancy, Caleb, Crowley, Henson)

So we had the bodies, the coaches obviously weren't happy with the bodies we had in the short-term. So I see could easily see both Hatton and Prince (and any other returnees from the above list) on the pine.

Agreed, Dillard and Rodgers were brought in to start. That doesn't mean that someone else can't beat them out in camp, but you got to think those guys are here to play.

I think Cohen was going to start regardless.

He had a lot of ground to make up after being out of football for two years. Rodgers leaving the team and Hatton getting a concussion have opened the door for him.

Hatton had a concussion last summer too.
Anybody know why Hatton missed late Spring (missing for spring gm).

What is the deal with Prince, I heard he might be suspended at the beginning of the season, and this could be the reason why he's always with the twos, never the starters (which would also help Cohen).

The coaches have said nothing that has made me believe that he had to make up ground, or was any less of a player that he was 2 years ago. Fedora and Kap have both said they're impressed with what he's shown so far. I believe his raw talent alone makes him one of our best interior players, especially now being slimmer than he was, he's got an NFL looking body. Truly believe that him and Hatton (if/when healthy) will be a dominant force inside along with Dillard.

Fedora and Kap have both said they're impressed with what he's shown so far....he's got an NFL looking body.
Devil's advocate here, how often do you hear the coaches say anything negative about a player? It is rare and slight. Both Fed and Kap mentioned his weight. Kap said something like "he's trying to get his weight up". Fed said something like "he's twenty pounds lighter but just as strong".

He's been the butt of convo because the media has asked specifically about him. I'm just stating this because I have a little trouble expecting him to be "dominant" if the coaches see him as underweight.

Reactions: lerario
The coaches have said nothing that has made me believe that he had to make up ground, or was any less of a player that he was 2 years ago. Fedora and Kap have both said they're impressed with what he's shown so far. I believe his raw talent alone makes him one of our best interior players, especially now being slimmer than he was, he's got an NFL looking body. Truly believe that him and Hatton (if/when healthy) will be a dominant force inside along with Dillard.

Dude, just use some common sense. He flaked out on his teammates and coaches two years ago, then committed to Uva but never enrolled, and all in all hadn't been on a football team for 2 years. He had a lot to prove both physically and mentally to show his teammates and coaches that he could be counted on.

Dude, just use some common sense. He flaked out on his teammates and coaches two years ago, then committed to Uva but never enrolled, and all in all hadn't been on a football team for 2 years. He had a lot to prove both physically and mentally to show his teammates and coaches that he could be counted on.
Which is done with hard work. And that seems to be the case right now.

If we are fortunate, OL injuries stop, and the guys come out of the work as a gritty bunch happy to work together, no matter who is on the field.

Which is done with hard work. And that seems to be the case right now.

If we are fortunate, OL injuries stop, and the guys come out of the work as a gritty bunch happy to work together, no matter who is on the field.

Oh trust me I'm pulling for the kid and think it would be a cool story if he ends up being a key player for us. But the notion that he didn't have anything to prove before being penciled in as a starter is just silly.

Rodgers is back and Hatton has still been missing since the 10th (at least) with some issue, rumor is concussion, but could easily be something else.

Can Rodgers unseat Cohen, Polino or Prince as the starter? Rumor says Rodgers was a bit out-of-shape (but this is hard to fathom... why xfer if you aren't going to get in shape?).

Last edited:
He could do so fairly easily, IMO.

You got any crazy guesses as to why he bolted? If *he* thinks he could surpass those guys on the depth chart, you'd think he would've stayed around unless something really serious was making him want to quit.

Only obvious things to me are health-stuff or he felt he was buried play-time-wise.

You got any crazy guesses as to why he bolted? If *he* thinks he could surpass those guys on the depth chart, you'd think he would've stayed around unless something really serious was making him want to quit.

Only obvious things to me are health-stuff or he felt he was buried play-time-wise.
Premium :)

I will say your two 'obvious thing's are both incorrect in this case though!

All reports are that it had nothing to do with playing time. The staff didn't bring him on board to ride the pine. They felt like he was at least as good or better than what they already had.

Cohen seems to have hit the ground running and if his play on the field has picked up right where he left off 2 years ago, he could be in line for significant playing time. Hatton will be a significant contributor if he can stay healthy.

I don't mean to knock the kid but the less we see of RJ Prince the better imo. He's a gifted athlete but it never clicked for him last year. He's solid depth but not an above average ACC starter.

I don't mean to knock the kid but the less we see of RJ Prince the better imo. He's a gifted athlete but it never clicked for him last year. He's solid depth but not an above average ACC starter.
Agreed. It's a shame because he sure "looks" the part when you see him in uniform. But then once he steps on the field..

I have never thought that Prince was a OG. IMO, he is a OT that needs to play in space where it isn't as physical.

gotta be the jordan branded helmet. We unveiled that branding right about the time he left. He obviously hated it, and it took him two weeks to change his mind. thx!
SC people have no basketball history or interest.

I heard Prince is taking reps at OT, potentially cuz Spain is still rehabbing from a knee injury... I hope it isn't a sign that Spain misses games.

I heard Prince is taking reps at OT, potentially cuz Spain is still rehabbing from a knee injury... I hope it isn't a sign that Spain misses games.
OL injuries could kill this team. Last year the offense was greatly handcuffed by injuries, but with all the seniors we could overcome much of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT