ADVERTISEMENT

Who's Left in the 2017 Class

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
A quick glance shows only 8 guys left in 247's top 200.

Four of them in the top 40.

02 PF Bamba
18 SF Bowen
25 SG Walker
40 PG Waters

They are presumably waiting to take the most advantageous offer once the dust settles. We have an offer to Bamba but no one seems to think we have a chance. He's still my pick for surprise commit of the year. That and 4 bucks will buy you a cup of coffee.

Here are the rest:

133 SG Doutrive
171 SG Duarte
178 SG Banks
179 SF Maker

That's an odd group. Maker - brother of Thon Maker - only has 2 offers. Although listed as SF, he's 6'10, and shows enough promise in the clip that you'd think someone would have snapped him up. Doutrive has only 1 offer, Banks 2.

The problem with Duarte - who has 7 offers, including several from decent teams like Seton Hall and Monmouth - seems to be that he only wants to go to Syracuse, but Syracuse hasn't offered. Sort of sad.

I wonder what's wrong with the others? Are they serial killers? Too dumb for college? What?

A quick glance shows only 8 guys left in 247's top 200.

Four of them in the top 40.

02 PF Bamba
18 SF Bowen
25 SG Walker
40 PG Waters

They are presumably waiting to take the most advantageous offer once the dust settles. We have an offer to Bamba but no one seems to think we have a chance. He's still my pick for surprise commit of the year. That and 4 bucks will buy you a cup of coffee.

Here are the rest:

133 SG Doutrive
171 SG Duarte
178 SG Banks
179 SF Maker

That's an odd group. Maker - brother of Thon Maker - only has 2 offers. Although listed as SF, he's 6'10, and shows enough promise in the clip that you'd think someone would have snapped him up. Doutrive has only 1 offer, Banks 2.

The problem with Duarte - who has 7 offers, including several from decent teams like Seton Hall and Monmouth - seems to be that he only wants to go to Syracuse, but Syracuse hasn't offered. Sort of sad.

I wonder what's wrong with the others? Are they serial killers? Too dumb for college? What?
The fact that "Bomba" eliminated UNC months ago would seem to diminish our chances just a tad. I think Bowen is requiring a team hair stylist/colorist.

Roy isn't getting involved with anyone.

Us choosing not to pursue Whitman cemented our class.

Roy plants the seeds of another Natty and then watches his peers and their OAD factories fiddle and burn! Must be nice to know your cupboard isn't bare every year! Must be nice to not have to teach from scratch every year.

Give me an a mix made up of good people that can keep us in contention and every few years get to the FF and I am a happy Tar Heel!

Reactions: Archer2
Bamba to Tex is as surprising as Knox to Kentuck! I thought the combo of Slimy and ratty never missed on a recruit...must be a full moon!

May we have permission to have hope now if we have to recruit against those two giants?

Bamba to Tex is as surprising as Knox to Kentuck! I thought the combo of Slimy and ratty never missed on a recruit...must be a full moon!

May we have permission to have hope now if we have to recruit against those two giants?

Dude...they have the 1 and 2 ranked classes for 2017.

And they're going to have the top classes as long as the LOM and Cal promote their schools as the quickest way to the NBA. No surprise there.

No one is saying we should be scared. It was one guy trying to rag on Cal and K for missing on Bamba which is just a joke. Get on them for not winning as much as they should, you can't really get on them for the recruiting game.

No one is saying we should be scared. It was one guy trying to rag on Cal and K for missing on Bamba which is just a joke. Get on them for not winning as much as they should, you can't really get on them for the recruiting game.

Yeah, but to say Cal and K are beating everyone else's brains in recruiting is to assume that rankings are the end all be all. I don't subscribe to that. I don't think Roy does either. Rankings don't factor in a kid's coachability. That's a huge factor and it's my belief that Roy stays away from some top ranked guys for that reason alone. I won't go on about this because it's not the purpose of this thread but suffice it to say that all these "top ranked" recruiting classes that K and Cal are bringing in don't really impress me.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Yeah, but to say Cal and K are beating everyone else's brains in recruiting is to assume that rankings are the end all be all. I don't subscribe to that. I don't think Roy does either. Rankings don't factor in a kid's coachability. That's a huge factor and it's my belief that Roy stays away from some top ranked guys for that reason alone.

Ok...I get that...BUT...

It's not like Roy hasn't been recruiting these top kids. Most of them had offers/interest from Roy and until they started not showing us love, we were showing them plenty of love. Saying that we haven't gotten top kids because Roy has stayed away is just not accurate in 90% of the cases.

Yeah, but to say Cal and K are beating everyone else's brains in recruiting is to assume that rankings are the end all be all. I don't subscribe to that. I don't think Roy does either. Rankings don't factor in a kid's coachability. That's a huge factor and it's my belief that Roy stays away from some top ranked guys for that reason alone. I won't go on about this because it's not the purpose of this thread but suffice it to say that all these "top ranked" recruiting classes that K and Cal are bringing in don't really impress me.
Coachability doesn't matter much for OAD's and they make very little improvement in one tear of college.

It has made Roy coach a little harder and Better though. 4.7 seconds away from 2 National Championships in a row.. So I don't care about the one and done's..

The college has been the one shedding the "tear" lately!

I'll take the back-to-back FF and the Natty b4 the #1 classes any day of the week!

Ok...I get that...BUT...

It's not like Roy hasn't been recruiting these top kids. Most of them had offers/interest from Roy and until they started not showing us love, we were showing them plenty of love. Saying that we haven't gotten top kids because Roy has stayed away is just not accurate in 90% of the cases.

There are different levels to recruiting/interest though. It's like when multiple guys want to date the head cheerleader. Several guys show up at the door with flowers and chocolate. Other guys are taking their shirts off and flexing. A few others promise her a ride in their new BMWs. Roy sometimes shows up bearing no gifts and simply asks for a date. Sure, we were interested in John Wall. But did we put on the full court press? That's what I'm saying. There may be interest and there may be an offer. But if Roy is lukewarm on a guy, he might extend the offer out of obligation (to the high school coach, AAU connection, parents, etc) but could honestly take the kid or leave him. And I think that's the case in a lot of our misses. I acknowledge that we've missed on a lot of guys that Roy really wanted. But I think as Roy has watched the college landscape change so dramatically in the OAD era, he's played his hands differently. He knows he has to go after top recruits, if only to satisfy the fan base and boosters. But he also knows that he gets a lot more mileage out of a guy slightly lower ranked that will come in and let Roy do with him what he wants to do with him for 3-4 years. That has shaped his recruiting strategy. So no, I don't necessarily believe Roy when he tells the media "dagummit, we wanted all those kids too". He might have somewhat wanted them and had he gotten them, he was willing to work his hardest with them. But our recruiting struggles recently are not nearly as much of a "struggle" as some here like to believe. I contend that much of it is choice.

There are different levels to recruiting/interest though. It's like when multiple guys want to date the head cheerleader. Several guys show up at the door with flowers and chocolate. Other guys are taking their shirts off and flexing. A few others promise her a ride in their new BMWs. Roy sometimes shows up bearing no gifts and simply asks for a date. Sure, we were interested in John Wall. But did we put on the full court press? That's what I'm saying. There may be interest and there may be an offer. But if Roy is lukewarm on a guy, he might extend the offer out of obligation (to the high school coach, AAU connection, parents, etc) but could honestly take the kid or leave him. And I think that's the case in a lot of our misses. I acknowledge that we've missed on a lot of guys that Roy really wanted. But I think as Roy has watched the college landscape change so dramatically in the OAD era, he's played his hands differently. He knows he has to go after top recruits, if only to satisfy the fan base and boosters. But he also knows that he gets a lot more mileage out of a guy slightly lower ranked that will come in and let Roy do with him what he wants to do with him for 3-4 years. That has shaped his recruiting strategy. So no, I don't necessarily believe Roy when he tells the media "dagummit, we wanted all those kids too". He might have somewhat wanted them and had he gotten them, he was willing to work his hardest with them. But our recruiting struggles recently are not nearly as much of a "struggle" as some here like to believe. I contend that much of it is choice.

John Wall's case is very uncommon for us, and that's partially due to the fact that Roy doesn't usually recruit that type.

But what we often see are those Julius Randle type of players that we go all in for, only to have them end up in the clutches of either Dook or UK, as always. And let's be realistic, we know Roy wants those kids. He wouldn't spurn interest for other if he didn't.

Honestly, I hate that Roy goes all in for those guys that always have one foot in at a different school. If Roy recruited every year like he did in 2016, I honestly don't think we'd "struggle" as much as we do.

JMO.

Reactions: HeelFan58
But if Roy is lukewarm on a guy, he might extend the offer out of obligation (to the high school coach, AAU connection, parents, etc) but could honestly take the kid or leave him.
Has Roy actually said he does that? I find it extremely hard to believe that Roy would offer a scholarship because he felt obligated to a coach/connection/parent. Letting someone else dictate how he recruits goes against his personality.

I think you are confusing Roy not wanting to stoop to the level that some coaches appear to be doing to get OAD recruits with Roy not wanting/being lukewarm or not putting the fullcourt press on the get a recruit.

Has Roy actually said he does that? I find it extremely hard to believe that Roy would offer a scholarship because he felt obligated to a coach/connection/parent. Letting someone else dictate how he recruits goes against his personality.

He's not letting anyone dictate anything. He's simply making good on things for the purposes of keeping relationships beneficial for the future. However, I've never heard Roy say that. That's just my opinion. I'm not even sure it's a conscious decision by Roy. I just think when he's lukewarm on a guy, he doesn't put his best effort towards recruiting him.

He's not letting anyone dictate anything. He's simply making good on things for the purposes of keeping relationships beneficial for the future. However, I've never heard Roy say that. That's just my opinion. I'm not even sure it's a conscious decision by Roy. I just think when he's lukewarm on a guy, he doesn't put his best effort towards recruiting him.

Or...when a guy is lukewarm on UNC. I think both sides fit here slinger.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT