ADVERTISEMENT

Why Davis's 'Plea' to Kessler Was Needed

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
It is not because Walker Kessler is required for UNC to make the NCAA tournament next year. The reason is the future of college basketball.

The G League is going to change CBB a good deal. More and more 5, 4, and 3* players who are not determined to earn a 4 year degree within a few years will choose the G League, which will disrupt a college program to the degree that it persists in recruiting as if it were still the year 2010. A few programs will be able to navigate the G League issues and win at high rates, but those programs will be about short term Ringers rather than what college sports should be about.

And yes, I do think it inevitable that the G League will make many cheating boosters and coaches worse, because they now will be trying to outbid the G League as well as other dirty college boosters and coaches.

Doing it the right way will require recruiting to be refocused on landing players who are predisposed toward earning the degree and playing four years. And Kessler is a prime example. He is exactly the type 5* recruit that is likely to play 4 years, unless he finds the situation untenable for him, or perhaps because he has nothing left to play for (such as having a couple of National Championships already).

If you do not groom and develop recruits like Walker Kessler then you will not get more of them, and then to win Big you will get a string of 1 and Dones and guys threatening to bolt for the G League.

Plain and simple, Hubert needs to score a recruiting win and frankly, Kessler would be a HUGE fish as would Aidoo and both together would go a long way to settle this UNC fan base down.

So far, very impressed at Hubert's moves, felt we needed a staff shake up and a discussion has been had, from what I hear, that if happens will thrill me. I will leave it at only that for now because it is a fluid situation right now that needs to play out behind the scenes.

Now there has been a lot of discussion of Kendal, specifically that he will no longer be on staff, many that do not like that. Thing is Kendal was not a coach on Roy's staff, his job was to coordinate film of potential recruits, handle social media but was not a guy directly involved in coaching or recruiting. I think this was a move more to simply eliminate the position more than a statement about kendal's position on the staff and clearly Hubert felt other options of bench coaches better fit what he is lookin g for. Sean May now to the bench is a good move, now he can work as a coach rather than the guy that arranges hotel rooms. Fundamentally as a big man, Sean was spectacular so having him as a bench coach is spot on, IMO.

Coach Rob no longer a bench coach, a change that I do think was needed. Now clearly players loved Steve and I am not looking to down his value but I always saw him as Roy's security blanket, his buddy on the bench that he trusted much like Gut was to Dean. But Gut was more than that for Dean, Gut was in Dean's words as well as the words of so many former players, the best big man coach in the game, he turned down so many head coaching jobs that schools finally quit offering him, all he ever really wanted was to be Robin to Dean's Batman and he did that wonderfully. Gut never wanted to be the head coach at UNC, in fact he had to be talked in to it before every one of the 3 seasons he was our head coach by the only man that could talk him in to it, Dean. Moving Steve from the bench to a lesser role to allow him much less stress but allow him to finish out to qualify for full retirement is IMO right thing to do and I think will happen.

I could see Kendal's position becoming more of a NIL coordinator job and I don't know that kendal would be the best fit for that future staff position. So if Kendal wants to be a coach, moving on is the better path. If you look at guys from this younger generation of former UNC players I would rather look at guys like Marcus Paige or wouldn't Theo be something taking that personality in to wanted players recruitments? Theo is still playing, I know, just saying one day in the future. I do like the consideration of King and Lebo, Lebo is interesting because he not only is a head coach now but recruits in our foot print, he could literally hit the ground running today as a recruiter with a much stronger brand. King took what he learned from Dean and put his own spin on it, exactly what Hubert needs to do coming out from under Roy's wing. King is very good at getting his players to buy in and play together, love watching King's guys on the bench standing and cheering on their mates that are on the floor, his bench guys always seem really plugged in to the game. Our's in the last few years have at times, especially last couple seasons looked a bit less interested in the game going on. KIng LOVES UNC folks, he may even rival Hubert's love for UNC and he relates to players and recruits. He just has been coaching at a program that is hard to get talent to come to, that would not be a problem if his shirt said UNC. But there is 1 more name folks that I have not been shy about wanting on our bench...May not happen but it has been discussed with no final decision made as I write this but that could change literally at any minute.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Kessler and Davis apparently had a very good relationship.

I wonder if part of Davis’ interview pitch was that he could get Kessler back. It’s certainly not the reason you give the guy the job but man that is just another box to check in his favor.

Does anyone know how the conversation between Davis and Kessler went?

Does anyone know how the conversation between Davis and Kessler went?
For it to work, Davis would need to be say that he undertsnds that when you play two true Bigs, it is best if one of them can move outside routinely, if one of them can pass from the perimeter and shoot from the perimeter. Big passing from the outside dow to another Big in the lane is killer.

He also would need to state the obvious, of the 4 Bigs we had last season, Kessler easily has the most potential to be the Big who spends more than an occasional flourish on the perimeter.

Davis also needs to acknowledge that the position that many attribute to Roy (that unless the Big already can nail 3s, he does not need to be out on the perimeter) is ridiculous when the PGs and Wings we play shoot brick after brick, not just behind the 3 line but from 20 and 15 and even 12 feet.

But there is 1 more name folks that I have not been shy about wanting on our bench...May not happen but it has been discussed with no final decision made as I write this but that could change literally at any minute.
Rasheed Wallace?

For what it's worth, his uncle said he was down between Auburn and Gonzaga. Hope he'll change his mind after Coach Davis' phone call.

Crossing our fingers....

Last edited:
Recruiting will be huge, as it always is. Anything he can pull out of the magicians hat now is a bonus. His 1st class is next year.

Last edited:
I dunno if it was needed, but it's going to be pretty glaring if he fails to get him to come back and play.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I dunno if it was needed, but it's going to be pretty glaring if he fails to get him to come back and play.
the timing of roy's announcement suggests that kessler's defection is at least partly to blame. i wonder what hubert (and roy?) could say to kessler that would make him comfortable about returning?

Hubert has had two meetings with the Kesslers over the last couple of days. I can certainly understand one meeting, but there has been two meetings.

Hoping Hubert can close the deal over the next few days.

I'm convinced more than anything after Hubert's speech that there will never be a coach hired outside the family.

I would be shocked if Kessler stays at this point, since some would lean toward thinking he pushed Roy out. Just think that would add a negative dimension. Ya never know, but I think he starts anew elsewhere.

Seeing that Hubert hasn’t made any offers to any big men yet I think there may be a chance with Kessler coming back. If no chance at Kessler why aren’t we going hard at Aidoo or the guy from UMass? He looks like a beast.

I would be shocked if Kessler stays at this point, since some would lean toward thinking he pushed Roy out. Just think that would add a negative dimension. Ya never know, but I think he starts anew elsewhere.
It's ridiculous that anyone would think Kessler pushed Roy out. It's possible that Roy realized his style of play was no longer the preferred style of play for elite recruits in college basketball & felt the need for change. He loves UNC basketball & wants it to succeed above all else. He may have felt it was time to pass the torch to someone who was more willing to adapt to the current state of college basketball. At this point in his career, I can understand why he wouldn't want to reinvent his coaching style. This is all conjecture on my part, but it seems plausible to me. Regardless, there's no chance any one player could push him out of the program. It was his program. You can bet him leaving was his choice & his choice alone. I'm sure he would be the first person to welcome Kessler back, if he thought he would be willing to return & help the team win.

FWIW, I was heartbroken, when I saw Roy was retiring. I still wish his retirement announcement was a cruel April Fools' joke, but I have no doubt that he retired on his terms & no one player influenced his decision.

It's ridiculous that anyone would think Kessler pushed Roy out. It's possible that Roy realized his style of play was no longer the preferred style of play for elite recruits in college basketball & felt the need for change. He loves UNC basketball & wants it to succeed above all else. He may have felt it was time to pass the torch to someone who was more willing to adapt to the current state of college basketball. At this point in his career, I can understand why he wouldn't want to reinvent his coaching style. This is all conjecture on my part, but it seems plausible to me. Regardless, there's no chance any one player could push him out of the program. It was his program. You can bet him leaving was his choice & his choice alone. I'm sure he would be the first person to welcome Kessler back, if he thought he would be willing to return & help the team win.

FWIW, I was heartbroken, when I saw Roy was retiring. I still wish his retirement announcement was a cruel April Fools' joke, but I have no doubt that he retired on his terms & no one player influenced his decision.
Very well said and I agree 100%. It was heartbreaking to hear Roy say he no longer felt he was the right man for the job. Dean left prematurely because the game had changed. This is no country for old men.

I agree, and I personally would not be one in that camp looking at him going into the portal negatively at all, but unfortunately I do think a small percentage would, which adds a bit more in the con column. Hope he stays, but I am not very confident that he will.

Reactions: itstartedwithmj
Auburn and the ZAGS for WK??? I can understand The Zags but Auburn???Man you go from Roy to Bruce Pearl??? What a contrast in so many ways but papa and momma are driving this train

Reactions: Archer2
Auburn and the ZAGS for WK??? I can understand The Zags but Auburn???Man you go from Roy to Bruce Pearl??? What a contrast in so many ways but papa and momma are driving this train
Unfortunately, I’m afraid you’re right about his parents. With Holmgren considered a lock to Gonzaga, maybe Kessler will return. With Sterling/Brooks/Miller gone and Bacot/Kessler quite possibly gone, we are in dire need of at least one big man. Make that two if both Kessler and Bacot leave. Signs are pointing to Bacot returning.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Very well said and I agree 100%. It was heartbreaking to hear Roy say he no longer felt he was the right man for the job. Dean left prematurely because the game had changed. This is no country for old men.

I wouldn't say that. I still think Roy is the best man for the job. I just don't think Kessler or any other player alone pushed him out.

I agree, and I personally would not be one in that camp looking at him going into the portal negatively at all, but unfortunately I do think a small percentage would, which adds a bit more in the con column. Hope he stays, but I am not very confident that he will.
I'm not confident he'll stay either, but I think anyone that wouldn't want him to needs to grow up or act their age, whichever is the case. Not wanting him back, because their feelings were hurt is silly. Some people are too stubborn for their own good.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that. I still think Roy is the best man for the job. I just don't think Kessler or any other player alone pushed him out.

I'm not confident he'll stay either, but I think anyone that wouldn't want him to needs to grow up or act their age, whichever is the case. Not wanting him back, because their feelings were hurt is silly. Some people are too stubborn for their own good.
Amen.

Reactions: itstartedwithmj
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT