ADVERTISEMENT

Why Fedora should pursue the KU job

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
The SI caption for the WVU-Texas game reads: West Virginia's Risk Taking Topples Texas in the Most Big 12 of Big 12 Games (my emphasis)

Big 12 football is about big risk taking, about high flying offense with little thought for D, about flash and flair, about hotdogging and hot air, about winning or losing 44-42 after each team goes for 2 unexpectedly and shotgun snaps on the goal line and screws up clock management so much that Les Miles smiles in recognition.

If Fedora can't win and satisfy the KU fan base, he can never win and satisfy any P5 fan base.

The only problem is that Fedora wants the QB to run at least as much as the RBs and the Big 12 fans demand passing.

I read rumors about Les Miles to Kansas. LSU to Kansas - talk about a dropoff.

Actually, Kansas would be a good landing spot for Larry, if he's not going to hold out for Rhule to fail at Baylor. But with Baylor sitting at 5 wins and only one more to be bowl eligible, Rhule seems to be settling in.

Bubba is the happiest person that UNC basketball starts tonight. Now he hopes everyone stops asking him about his worthless football coach and he can keep Fed for another few years

I'm new to this forum, but not new to Rivals. KU fan I am, and obviously, this thread caught my attention.

To be honest, I don't think that we will consider Fedora, but crazier things have happened. Les Miles is a legit option, because of his SEC ties to our new AD, Jeff Long, and new associate AD, Mike Vollmar.

All of this is going to be interesting to watch, because of Dec. NSD and new transfer rules.

I'm new to this forum, but not new to Rivals. KU fan I am, and obviously, this thread caught my attention.

To be honest, I don't think that we will consider Fedora, but crazier things have happened. Les Miles is a legit option, because of his SEC ties to our new AD, Jeff Long, and new associate AD, Mike Vollmar.

All of this is going to be interesting to watch, because of Dec. NSD and new transfer rules.
I am anti-Fedora. In fact, I have been saying since 2014 that if there were not major changes in the way he does things, the way his football mind operates, we would be in a bad shape. I held that position right through 2015, which was the antithesis of a perfect storm: it was absolutely perfect for Fedora. And it made people totally forget the really bad coaching and wildly inconsistent play of 2013 and 2014.

The ending of the 2016 season was the beginning of this total collapse.

It is possible that going to another place will revive Fedora, even allowing him to swallow his pride and take detailed criticisms seriously and revamp what he does and how he does it. And I am serious in saying that what Fedora emphasizes will work better overall in the Big 12 than the ACC. But I still would not truly recommend that any P5 hire Fedora.

But if anybody does, I will be forever grateful.

Reactions: jolebo and riverswe
Also, jolebo, something that interests me about your opening is what that will mean to K-St boosters. Snyder is ancient. The boost he gave coming out of retirement is over. He is now the way Frank Beamer was at VT his last 3 or 4 years.

Will K-St be able to persuade him to step aside so they can get a new HC the same year KU does?

If both KU and K-ST were to offer Les Miles, which would be take? My guess is K-ST.

Of course, if Snyder steps down, more than a few K-ST boosters would want Brent Venables to come home as HC.

Also, jolebo, something that interests me about your opening is what that will mean to K-St boosters. Snyder is ancient. The boost he gave coming out of retirement is over. He is now the way Frank Beamer was at VT his last 3 or 4 years.

Will K-St be able to persuade him to step aside so they can get a new HC the same year KU does?

If both KU and K-ST were to offer Les Miles, which would be take? My guess is K-ST.

Of course, if Snyder steps down, more than a few K-ST boosters would want Brent Venables to come home as HC.
The fanbase and some longtime Snyder loving media members are starting to turn their back or strongly question his decisions. The only reason he is still there is because he wants his son to be the next HC, and it has not happened, nor will it look like to happen.

Yes, KSU looks better, in facilities, recent history, and many other factors, but I still believe that the influence of Jeff Long makes KU a more ideal situation for Miles. Besides, not too many people are going to want to be the first KSU HC, after Snyder, considering how the stadium is named the Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Too many unreasonable expectations for Miles, if he goes there, compares to KU.

Venables may be one of the few crazy enough to do it, for its his alma mater, still has family in Kansas, and some other reasons.

Another thing about KSU is that take away Snyder, they have an even worse history than KU. It's going to take a special person to take over and succeed.

The fanbase and some longtime Snyder loving media members are starting to turn their back or strongly question his decisions. The only reason he is still there is because he wants his son to be the next HC, and it has not happened, nor will it look like to happen.

Yes, KSU looks better, in facilities, recent history, and many other factors, but I still believe that the influence of Jeff Long makes KU a more ideal situation for Miles. Besides, not too many people are going to want to be the first KSU HC, after Snyder, considering how the stadium is named the Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Too many unreasonable expectations for Miles, if he goes there, compares to KU.

Venables may be one of the few crazy enough to do it, for its his alma mater, still has family in Kansas, and some other reasons.

Another thing about KSU is that take away Snyder, they have an even worse history than KU. It's going to take a special person to take over and succeed.
I know that K-St history of awfulness - I used to live in old Big 8 country: Muskogee, OK and Highlands Ranch, Colorado. I still recall Snyder making that 1st bowl game. It was like seeing a unicorn.

Snyder may now be destroying what he built because he demands his son inherit. Bobby Bowden did much the same with his son Jeff.

I assume you came over because you know Les's son is a UNC QB and he has been around the program a lot the past year and a half. I am not among those who would want him at UNC, unless I knew for certain he had learned his obvious mistakes at LSU - which begin and end with his idea of QBs. And that would mean he gets an OC who understands the passing game.

I assume you came over because you know Les's son is a UNC QB and he has been around the program a lot the past year and a half. I am not among those who would want him at UNC, unless I knew for certain he had learned his obvious mistakes at LSU - which begin and end with his idea of QBs. And that would mean he gets an OC who understands the passing game.
To be real with you, I came over here, because one of our posters started a thread of the number of P5 openings there will be this year. I knew about his record, but I didn't fully know about his buyout. We, on the Kansas forum, is trying to figure out which jobs will be more appealing than our opening.

And I am one who does not mind jumping over to the other boards of other schools, that I can read. I like information and presenting it as fair and accurate as possible.

Reactions: tarheel0910
In addition, y'all snatched up another QB that interest me more than Miles, and that is Jace Ruder, from KS. It still ticks off our fans that we did not go after him as hard as we could have. We've missed out on a lot of local players who have left the state. It's completely understandable, but still frustrating.

In addition, y'all snatched up another QB that interest me more than Miles, and that is Jace Ruder, from KS. It still ticks off our fans that we did not go after him as hard as we could have. We've missed out on a lot of local players who have left the state. It's completely understandable, but still frustrating.

Fedora tried everything he could to not play Ruder, but he looks like he has the potential to be a pretty solid QB.

I think everyone on this board will tell you that he is certain Ruder has real potential and should have been playing from the start.

Of course, the same is true of our other true frosh QB Cade Fortin. They should have been the 2 QBs opening day, each playing.

Let me add: Jace's dad has been on the board a few times. You could leave a post here and ask him what he thinks about how KU recruited Jace.

And here is the thing that should interest you if you harbor any hope of getting native son Jace Ruder back in KS: the idiot Fedora seems bound and determined to bring in Clemson grad transfer QB Kelly Bryant for next year. If I were the father or either Ruder or Fortin, that would anger me so much I'd be ready to go so hard at Fedora that my son would be forced to transfer. Fedora has so screwed up basic QB evaluation that I would not trust him to decide that my son is not ready to play, and to allow him to screw over my son again while he plays the grad transfer route.

Last edited:
Reactions: jolebo
What evidence is there that Fed is determined to bring in Kelly Bryant? We would have been stupid not to get him to Chapel Hill on a visit. But that doesn't mean fed is determined to bring him in.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be like him, but it seems like a bit of a leap to me. One visit doesn't mean much.

What evidence is there that Fed is determined to bring in Kelly Bryant? We would have been stupid not to get him to Chapel Hill on a visit. But that doesn't mean fed is determined to bring him in.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be like him, but it seems like a bit of a leap to me. One visit doesn't mean much.
2 visits

It fits Fedora's entire time here. He thinks everything is about a Big Play QB, and he is going to see Bryant as experienced Big Play, and thus his savior.

I think everyone on this board will tell you that he is certain Ruder has real potential and should have been playing from the start.

Of course, the same is true of our other true frosh QB Cade Fortin. They should have been the 2 QBs opening day, each playing.

Let me add: Jace's dad has been on the board a few times. You could leave a post here and ask him what he thinks about how KU recruited Jace.

And here is the thing that should interest you if you harbor any hope of getting native son Jace Ruder back in KS: the idiot Fedora seems bound and determined to bring in Clemson grad transfer QB Kelly Bryant for next year. If I were the father or either Ruder or Fortin, that would anger me so much I'd be ready to go so hard at Fedora that my son would be forced to transfer. Fedora has so screwed up basic QB evaluation that I would not trust him to decide that my son is not ready to play, and to allow him to screw over my son again while he plays the grad transfer route.

Nathan Elliott's quarterback rating (2018) is higher than Kelly Bryant's.........just let that sink in.

Nathan Elliott's quarterback rating (2018) is higher than Kelly Bryant's.........just let that sink in.
I've tried to tell people on this board - repeatedly - that Elliott is a much better QB than most of them think.

But Fortin and Ruder each have considerably more potential, and the way each played in his only game tells me each was ready to go from early on.

Fedora's great strength is on offense. Supposedly he is a QB guru. And yet Fedora is a damned fool when it comes to QBs. He's stupid enough to still be telling himself that he was that close to molding Brandon Harris into a star and that a fully healthy Chazz Surratt could be 1st team All ACC.

The idiot Fedora set up his eventual fall and the further demise of our program when he refused to play freshman Mitch Trubisky.

I'd like to see Fedora become Moo OC with total control of the offense. The Wuffies deserve him.

Elliott's numbers are inflated by the fact most of his passes are to guys standing beside him.
Yup. If you argue for Elliott’s success, you are actually arguing that the offensive coaches have found a way to maximize his talent. Creative play calls and excellent skill players

that's the least of our worries when they look at the low talent level and depth of our team in years to come.

Those things buy coaches extra time to build the program the way they want it. If the money is there then good coaches won't balk at a lack of talent.

And we have a solid amount of talent coming back for 2019 anyways.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I agree that money can fix a lot of things but reality will hit hard after those first few years when you are expected to see a jump in results if you aren't successful on the recruiting trail.

Kelly Bryant can’t throw down the field either so bringing him in wouldn’t be much different from Elliott.
A poster elsewhere called Bryant another Nathan Elliott with better legs.

Fedora loves the QB legs above all things.

Yup. If you argue for Elliott’s success, you are actually arguing that the offensive coaches have found a way to maximize his talent. Creative play calls and excellent skill players
They found it only a season and a half too late, when they had absolutely no other option - such geniuses need raises

That’s not even close to being true. Bryant has a much better arm.
He has a better arm, but so did Jamarcus Russell. Russell could toss a ball with some accuracy 75 yards in the air. And when you surrounded him with a great OL and a huge corps of great athletes at WR and a 3 man rotation of RBs who could make the NFL and the best blocking FBs in the college game and a pair of top notch TEs, and you back him with one of the 5 or 6 best Ds in the game, he will look like a franchise QB to many folks.

But actually he was an average QB. And an NFL franchise that treated him as a franchise QB would ruin itself for some time.

He has a better arm, but so did Jamarcus Russell. Russell could toss a ball with some accuracy 75 yards in the air. And when you surrounded him with a great OL and a huge corps of great athletes at WR and a 3 man rotation of RBs who could make the NFL and the best blocking FBs in the college game and a pair of top notch TEs, and you back him with one of the 5 or 6 best Ds in the game, he will look like a franchise QB to many folks.

But actually he was an average QB. And an NFL franchise that treated him as a franchise QB would ruin itself for some time.
Why are you comparing Russell to Bryant?

Why are you comparing Russell to Bryant?
What kind of OL does Clemson have? How about RB talent? How about WR talent? What kind of D does Clemson have?

Stick Nathan Elliott with all that Clemson has, and Elliott would have better numbers and many, many, many more wins. Stick Kelly Bryant on the 2017 and 2018 UNC teams, and Kelly Bryant would be a Loser whose numbers would be erratic.

What kind of OL does Clemson have? How about RB talent? How about WR talent? What kind of D does Clemson have?

Stick Nathan Elliott with all that Clemson has, and Elliott would have better numbers and many, many, many more wins. Stick Kelly Bryant on the 2017 and 2018 UNC teams, and Kelly Bryant would be a Loser whose numbers would be erratic.
No. Just no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT