ADVERTISEMENT

Wildlife that scared you

heelmanwilm

Hall of Famer
May 26, 2005
Wilmington NC
Had any close calls?

when I was in my teens me and some friends went trout fishing on the oconaluftee river on the cherokee reservation. Hiked down a steep bank to a hole and there was momma black bear with some cubs eating blueberries. I froze. Not as a strategy but more in terror. One of my friends turned and ran. The bear then noticed him and ran right past me and chased him up the bank. He was able to get back in the truck in time. She started coming back down and we had nowhere to go except in the freezing water. So we got in and floated with the current downstream a bit. Shoulda seen the look on the fisherman’s faces downstream as we swam up to get out.

It didn't scare me so much as stun me it was so surreal.

We were hiking in Glacier National Park. We'd just come down from Iceberg Lake and took the turn to the Ptarmagin Tunnel. My wife and I, along with one friend (the rest of the group couldn't do the distance) were talking away, came around a corner in an area with some brush and trees and were maybe 30' from a mama grizzly bear and three cubs. By cubs, I mean about the size of an ATV. They were mostly facing the way we were going and only one of the cubs even seem to notice or acknowledge us. It stood up on its back legs and sniffed the air in our direction.

Being the photographer and videographer of the group, I brought up my camcorder, turned it on, and was recording almost the entire time. As I said, it was so surreal to see them there, I didn't even think about the consequences of disturbing a grizzly bear, much less one with three cubs. I recorded them eating on some huckleberries alongside the trail and even got the cub standing up. After a minute or two, they headed on up the path in the direction we were headed. We waited a few minutes and then continued toward our destination. Once we saw some people coming toward us on the path, we knew it was safe.

So, once back at the rental cabin, we are retelling the story as I pull out my camcorder to show off my National Geographic level footage. All I have is footage of the camera pointed at the ground as we walk along. I can't for the life of me figure out what happened. It wasn't until later I realized that I had pressed record before the camera was all the way on so when I "stopped recording" after the bears left, I was actually then turning it on.

I guess I'd have been better off to have pulled up my camera but the sound of the shutter (it was a digital SLR) might have startled them and really ruined our day...

It didn't scare me so much as stun me it was so surreal.

We were hiking in Glacier National Park. We'd just come down from Iceberg Lake and took the turn to the Ptarmagin Tunnel. My wife and I, along with one friend (the rest of the group couldn't do the distance) were talking away, came around a corner in an area with some brush and trees and were maybe 30' from a mama grizzly bear and three cubs. By cubs, I mean about the size of an ATV. They were mostly facing the way we were going and only one of the cubs even seem to notice or acknowledge us. It stood up on its back legs and sniffed the air in our direction.

Being the photographer and videographer of the group, I brought up my camcorder, turned it on, and was recording almost the entire time. As I said, it was so surreal to see them there, I didn't even think about the consequences of disturbing a grizzly bear, much less one with three cubs. I recorded them eating on some huckleberries alongside the trail and even got the cub standing up. After a minute or two, they headed on up the path in the direction we were headed. We waited a few minutes and then continued toward our destination. Once we saw some people coming toward us on the path, we knew it was safe.

So, once back at the rental cabin, we are retelling the story as I pull out my camcorder to show off my National Geographic level footage. All I have is footage of the camera pointed at the ground as we walk along. I can't for the life of me figure out what happened. It wasn't until later I realized that I had pressed record before the camera was all the way on so when I "stopped recording" after the bears left, I was actually then turning it on.

I guess I'd have been better off to have pulled up my camera but the sound of the shutter (it was a digital SLR) might have startled them and really ruined our day...

when we went to Disney world as kids my parents had one of those old school huge movie cameras to document the trip. One night couple weeks later my dad breaks out the projector for us to view the footage with lots of family and friends in attendance. Imagine the excitement and anticipation as this was a novel thing back then. And here it comes....First thing is a shot of my sister sitting on the toilet. Evidently the first morning there my dad had turned it on and checked the battery and set it down on the bathroom counter while recording. Yea took her a while to get over that.

My first time sea kayaking was off the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound. I was in a tandem kayak that was probably 20+ feet long and difficult to maneuver. Half an hour into our tour I was finally starting to get comfortable. That's when a pod of killer whales surfaced about 100 yards from our tour group. Sure, they probably knew the difference between a seal and a kayak. But if they didn't, there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. Equal parts fascinating and terrifying until they swam away after about 10 minutes of checking us out.

My first time sea kayaking was off the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound. I was in a tandem kayak that was probably 20+ feet long and difficult to maneuver. Half an hour into our tour I was finally starting to get comfortable. That's when a pod of killer whales surfaced about 100 yards from our tour group. Sure, they probably knew the difference between a seal and a kayak. But if they didn't, there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. Equal parts fascinating and terrifying until they swam away after about 10 minutes of checking us out.

• Wow
Reactions: Raising Heel
Saw a black bear and a copperhead on the same run last week. #visitasheville
I kept meaning to follow-up on this. What happened with the bear?

I go hiking up on Table Rock or Pinnacle Mountain every Halloween to reflect on the day my father died. But, I take a dog, or THE dogs with me. Before I had the Australian Shepherd, I just had the abnormally-large/overgrown long-haired Chihuahua (now 15). Anyway, he used to do the trails like a boss, especially coming down. We were going up Pinnacle about 10 years ago and I heard some kind of bellowing in the distance and it startled me. It was on a ridge, sort of, on the trail, and I could see it about... 50 yards away, maybe? Shakes- the chihuahua- hears it too, sees it, and starts going BONKERS! Barking and pulling away on the leash. That little fvcker can make a fuss and pitch a serious fit. The bear hauls ass. I went ahead and finished the climb and never saw it again. I heard that loud hand-clapping scares them.

I kept meaning to follow-up on this. What happened with the bear?

I go hiking up on Table Rock or Pinnacle Mountain every Halloween to reflect on the day my father died. But, I take a dog, or THE dogs with me. Before I had the Australian Shepherd, I just had the abnormally-large/overgrown long-haired Chihuahua (now 15). Anyway, he used to do the trails like a boss, especially coming down. We were going up Pinnacle about 10 years ago and I heard some kind of bellowing in the distance and it startled me. It was on a ridge, sort of, on the trail, and I could see it about... 50 yards away, maybe? Shakes- the chihuahua- hears it too, sees it, and starts going BONKERS! Barking and pulling away on the leash. That little fvcker can make a fuss and pitch a serious fit. The bear hauls ass. I went ahead and finished the climb and never saw it again. I heard that loud hand-clapping scares them.

I just stopped and watched him for a few minutes then he went across the creek and back into the woods. And yeah clapping is smart because it lets them know you’re there. Black bears aren’t really aggressive towards humans unless it’s a scared mom protecting cubs.

Reactions: strummingram
"Black bears aren’t really aggressive towards humans unless it’s a scared mom protecting cubs."

Below is a picture of a black bear in New Jersey taken by a Rutgers student just before the bear killed him and chowed down on him. The guy was hiking with friends when they saw the bear stalking them. The friends hauled ass. The guy with the camera didn't, and also didn't get the memo about clapping. Guy was a decent photographer though. Notice how the bear is nicely framed by the two slender trees and the large tree trunk on the ground, and how he looks more menacing because of the leafy branches that he seems to be hiding behind.

Hiker-Bear-pic-1.jpg

"Black bears aren’t really aggressive towards humans unless it’s a scared mom protecting cubs."

Below is a picture of a black bear in New Jersey taken by a Rutgers student just before the bear killed him and chowed down on him. The guy was hiking with friends when they saw the bear stalking them. The friends hauled ass. The guy with the camera didn't, and also didn't get the memo about clapping. Guy was a decent photographer though. Notice how the bear is nicely framed by the two slender trees and the large tree trunk on the ground, and how he looks more menacing because of the leafy branches that he seems to be hiding behind.

Hiker-Bear-pic-1.jpg

First of all, anyone with a functioning brain knows that you don’t run from a predator. Particularly not black bears who will usually flee if you stand your ground and make a lot of noise. When you run from a predator you trigger their chase instincts. He probably died because his idiot friends didn’t know what they were doing out in the woods. Which sadly, is very typical. So yeah, don’t do one of the two things that will get you killed by a black bear. Don’t startle a mother, and don’t run from one of you see it.

Second of all, just about anyone who has ever spent time in the woods knows that black bears are generally not aggressive towards humans unless they are provoked. I probably spend more time in the woods in any given week than you do in a year. I see black bears on runs all the time. If they were out there hunting humans they’d be picking off hikers around here every day.

So yeah, don’t do one of the two things that will get you killed by a black bear. Don’t startle a mother, and don’t run from one of you see it. If you need any more survival tips, just let me know.

Reactions: tarheelinfl
First of all, anyone with a functioning brain knows that you don’t run from a predator. Particularly not black bears who will usually flee if you stand your ground and make a lot of noise. When you run from a predator you trigger their chase instincts. He probably died because his idiot friends didn’t know what they were doing out in the woods. Which sadly, is very typical. So yeah, don’t do one of the two things that will get you killed by a black bear. Don’t startle a mother, and don’t run from one of you see it.

Second of all, just about anyone who has ever spent time in the woods knows that black bears are generally not aggressive towards humans unless they are provoked. I probably spend more time in the woods in any given week than you do in a year. I see black bears on runs all the time. If they were out there hunting humans they’d be picking off hikers around here every day.

So yeah, don’t do one of the two things that will get you killed by a black bear. Don’t startle a mother, and don’t run from one of you see it. If you need any more survival tips, just let me know.
OK, so now there are two things that will get you killed by a black bear, one of them being running from one. Disregard the fact that in the story I related, the bear was stalking those guys, and that the guys who ran...the guys who didn't know what the fvck they were doing....are the ones that are still alive. I think I'll add a third one; don't take a black bears picture. They apparently don't like having their pictures taken.

The fact is, usually you can deal with a bear by clapping your hands or whatever but sometimes, that bear is just going to eat you. Pepper spray is probably a good thing to have with you if you are going hiking in bear country.

People are usually not on the menu. And black bear almost always avoid humans if possible. As for that bear stalking, could be more to the story. The bear could have been sick, starving, use to humans feeding him, or as stated, not been scared away properly. And statistics show, that bears are very unlikely to hunt humans. You can always show examples of the opposite.

Reactions: uncboy10
People are usually not on the menu. And black bear almost always avoid humans if possible. As for that bear stalking, could be more to the story. The bear could have been sick, starving, use to humans feeding him, or as stated, not been scared away properly. And statistics show, that bears are very unlikely to hunt humans. You can always show examples of the opposite.

Lets just let him think the black bears are hunting him so he stays the hell out of my way when I’m out on the trails lol.

'You can always show examples of the opposite.'

which is exactly what I did. The dead guy will be very interested to know that statistically, he's still alive, and that there might have been more to the story...that maybe the bear only ate him because he was really hungry. That should make him feel better.

Lets just let him think the black bears are hunting him so he stays the hell out of my way when I’m out on the trails lol.

So dumb and ignorant. I know that most bears aren't hunting people to eat, and I said nothing to imply that I thought that. I just prefer to rather not be a complete dumbass, and realize that it's better to be safe than sorry simply because shit does happen...bears do sometimes attack people...and when it does you don't want to be defenseless if you can help it. I'll take my can of pepper spray and you can find some bear cubs to stumble upon. Don't forget to clap.

There are always going to be those guys who want to show off as Mr. Nature Expert, admonishing us that there's nothing to worry about when you see a shark, e.g., because we 'aren't on their menu'....as if having a shark rip your arm off is acceptable because it was probably just a case of mistaken identity.

And BTW, I don't go hiking or walking through the woods much anymore, but I can assure you I'm more of a nature nut than you are and my time spent in the woods will dwarf yours, all told. You don't have to be afraid of anything for yourself...my only real fear is of heights...but then I don't go out of my way to tell people there's no reason to be concerned about wildlife. The real experts will say not to listen to people like you, poo-pooing the dangers to show off their 'knowledge'....but to be wary of anything that can potentially hurt you. It's called common sense.

Pepper spray is probably a good thing to have with you if you are going hiking in bear country.

I don't know if you guys know about these things called firearms, but they're pretty neat and can come in handy if confronted by a bear. I recommend having one on your person if in the woods. They also work on criminals, Antifa and I've heard just the sight of them repels liberals.

'You can always show examples of the opposite.'

which is exactly what I did. The dead guy will be very interested to know that statistically, he's still alive, and that there might have been more to the story...that maybe the bear only ate him because he was really hungry. That should make him feel better.

So dumb and ignorant. I know that most bears aren't hunting people to eat, and I said nothing to imply that I thought that. I just prefer to rather not be a complete dumbass, and realize that it's better to be safe than sorry simply because shit does happen...bears do sometimes attack people...and when it does you don't want to be defenseless if you can help it. I'll take my can of pepper spray and you can find some bear cubs to stumble upon. Don't forget to clap.

There are always going to be those guys who want to show off as Mr. Nature Expert, admonishing us that there's nothing to worry about when you see a shark, e.g., because we 'aren't on their menu'....as if having a shark rip your arm off is acceptable because it was probably just a case of mistaken identity.

And BTW, I don't go hiking or walking through the woods much anymore, but I can assure you I'm more of a nature nut than you are and my time spent in the woods will dwarf yours, all told. You don't have to be afraid of anything for yourself...my only real fear is of heights...but then I don't go out of my way to tell people there's no reason to be concerned about wildlife. The real experts will say not to listen to people like you, poo-pooing the dangers to show off their 'knowledge'....but to be wary of anything that can potentially hurt you. It's called common sense.

tl:dr

just like some of these other threads, i'm learning some good things here...never knew these bits about black bears...hope to never have the opportunity to see if i recall them.

I don't know if you guys know about these things called firearms, but they're pretty neat and can come in handy if confronted by a bear. I recommend having one on your person if in the woods. They also work on criminals, Antifa and I've heard just the sight of them repels liberals.
the reason I didn't mention firearms is that my son, the avid hiker/camper, says that many areas that he hikes in outlaws them. If you're going to say you'd arm yourself anyway, that's what he says as well.

Not a bear story, but about 10 years ago we went snowmobiling in Yellowstone in February. Had a super time, I would encourage everyone to do it sometime. We rounded a corner and found about 20-25 bison in the roadway, blocking where we were supposed to turn. Our guide had us stop and wait about 15 minutes til they started to move. We slowly made our turn and I found a juvenile male walking beside me. He was immense, but still smaller than some of the older males. I had to proceed slowly so as not to frighten or startle him. He kept giving me this look that said, "Go ahead, do something stupid." Fortunately I kept it under control and they went off the roadway. I could have reached out and touched him, he was that close. Magnificent creature, but it was scary as hell.

Not a bear story, but about 10 years ago we went snowmobiling in Yellowstone in February. Had a super time, I would encourage everyone to do it sometime. We rounded a corner and found about 20-25 bison in the roadway, blocking where we were supposed to turn. Our guide had us stop and wait about 15 minutes til they started to move. We slowly made our turn and I found a juvenile male walking beside me. He was immense, but still smaller than some of the older males. I had to proceed slowly so as not to frighten or startle him. He kept giving me this look that said, "Go ahead, do something stupid." Fortunately I kept it under control and they went off the roadway. I could have reached out and touched him, he was that close. Magnificent creature, but it was scary as hell.
Wow! Sounds like a great experienc. We were in the Canadian Rockies a few years ago and drove up on a group of big horned sheep licking salt off the road. I tried driving through them but they paid us no mine. We rolled our windows down and could had reached out and touched them.

Wow! Sounds like a great experienc. We were in the Canadian Rockies a few years ago and drove up on a group of big horned sheep licking salt off the road. I tried driving through them but they paid us no mine. We rolled our windows down and could had reached out and touched them.
Big horny sheep? Wow, good thing @dadika13 wasn't with you, you'd have never gotten out of there.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
When I was in Jr High and HS, we used to swim in a pond on the Air Force reservation. One side had a cleared off beach area, but the other side was still pretty natural, with weeds and such. One time I was walking on the natural side, with a younger friend, when I looked down to see where I was stepping I noticed a good sized cottonmouth about a foot from my foot!:eek::eek: Luckily it didn't bite me, but we got to the other side as quickly as possible!

I know of a guy that can't even look at pictures of snakes, because he's such a big puss.

Wildlife can be scary and dangerous. Walking the streets of the USA is more dangerous than wildlife in their natural habitat. Wooooo!

Once a black person came near me while I was walking. Talk about cold, dead fear. I was able to safely cross the street at the last minute. Thank Me (since I'm God) I was thinking quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: Terror Beard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT