ADVERTISEMENT

Will a few down years for Notre Dame

They value their independent football status. Especially now with the 12-team championship format I think the only thing that would make them consider joining a conference is money - more money than they can get as an independent.

They value their independent football status. Especially now with the 12-team championship format I think the only thing that would make them consider joining a conference is money - more money than they can get as an independent.
They could already get more money by joining a conference, so that doesn't matter. You are correct about the new format making a difference, though. It's easier for them to get in the playoffs, which is what they value more than anything. As long as it's easy for them to get in, they won't join a conference.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
their cake and eat it too relationship with the acc has brought shame to our conference. i would love to see them suffer some down years for karma.
SEC fans love to bleat that only the SEC has been good enough to get 2 teasm into the playoffs in 1 season. That is FALSE. The one year that ND played full ACC football, 10 games, ND and Clemson got in.

That is one example of how ND might have it best toward playoffs even with 12 teams by being a full ACC member.

make them rethink about joining a conference

No. In fact I doubt ND ever had the slightest intention of ever joining the ACC. And the expanded playoff almost cements the deal that they will stay independent in football. I didn't think the ACC gamble would pay off, but was worth the try. I always felt if things did tighten and they had to join a conference fully, that they would jump to the Big 10 anyway. But at this point, if they aren't going to be a part of the full conference, then kick them out altogether. ND seems mediocre this year, but that always won't be the case. No need in a team like good ND team popping up on the schedule possibly derailing a team that has a shot at the playoffs.

Reactions: sammyk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT