ADVERTISEMENT

With Puff definitely out Wednesday night against against Pittsburgh which forwards will get his minutes?

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
Several options available but the obvious choices are: Nickel, Styles and Washington or Carolina as they have done recently can bring in Dunn and go small. Who ever gets the call đź“ž will have to be ready to go because Pittsburgh have a couple of studs playing in the forward position. Blake Hinson who leads the team in scoring at 16.4 and in weight at 235 is a load in the paint but can also shoot the three like the 8 he hit last week but the Panthers also have Jamarius Burton who torched Carolina last time they played in the Steel City who is coming into this contest with a 16.1 scoring average. Not to be left out both of their starting guards: Greg Elliott and Nelly Cummings are also score in double digits at 11.00 and 10.2.

But to get back to the original question I do not feel Nance can hold either one of the Panther Sharp Shooters so the Tar Heel coaching staff may have to consider playing Nickel who at 6’7 and carrying 220 pounds might be able to hold his own against Hinson or even Styles who is 6’6 but only weights 210.

I do believe Black will get the assignment of trying to hold Burton who like I said earlier had a career game against UNC.

The Coaching staff might also try Bacot on Hinson but it would be like when Bacot starting out against Banchero last season at home and he had 2 fouls in the first three minutes. But it is a possibility because Pittsburgh is a VERY PHYSICAL team and Armando also carries 235 pounds on his 6’11 frame.

Fedenko who starts in the middle for Pittsburgh only averages about 5.7 so both Nance and Washington should have no trouble stopping him from having a big game in the Dean Dome.

My personal choice would be Nickel whose lack of experience in a big game might be a problem but he does have decent size, great determination and most importantly is not scared to shoot the rock 🪨…When he needs a break let Styles have some burn…

I fully expect to see Dunn, Nickel, and Washington take those minutes. When Dunn is in, does Leaky slide to 4 for short stints? Styles is an enigma but I expect to see him in certain situations. We cannot afford defensive lapses in this game so I don't expect to see either him or Nickel on Burton, even though I do expect to see Nickel for significant minutes. The substitution pattern has been explained by multiple peeps! It is situational and closer to a pro system. Breaks in the first half for the starters and subs in the 2nd are based on need, effectiveness, and matchups!

First, I prefer Nance on Hinson and Leaky on Burton. It wasn't Hinson that hurt us last game, it was Burton hitting 14 of his 17 shots on us that did the damage. Hinson isn't stepping out to hit 8 treys on us over Nance's length. I will take my chances on Burton being covered by Leaky even if Burton had a great game against him last time out, Leaky has not forgot that, you can bet Leaky took it personal and has spent a lot of time watching that game film.

As for who comes in when nance sits, I would go first to Nickel, he may blow the defensive assignment at times but he does offer big time scoring, most especially if they pull off him to double someone else as they do to Leaky. If Nickel can hit a shot or 2 he will force the defense to adjust, meaning his defender will have to stay closer to him and not be able to double off him. Let Hinson worry about chasing Nickel around for a while, draw him outside of the paint. When leaky sits, think I would try Dunn first, go 3 guards as shooters small ball and pressure their guards. Have Dunn stay with Burton all over the court when they have the ball, try to deny the catch but if Burton does catch it stay in front of him, make him work for everything he gets.

Pitt is coming off of 3 home games in a row, when they beat us 12/30 we were coming off the Christmas break and had to travel to their place, we had not played since 12/21 and rather than be able to use that off time to practice, guys went away for the Christmas holidays. Point being we will be more focused on Pitt this time than Santa, there should be a VERY different tone for this game.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Yup! Leaky on Burton all night! Leaky was also nursing a sore ankle or foot at the time and was a step slower than normal. I don't want to see Nickel on Burton for even a second, but I can see him out chasing Hinson. I would check to see if Dunn is ready for primetime, but if he gets burned more than once, I would have a quick hook! Our team is playing much better now so I expect a different outcome. Nance did nothing last time to make Hinson play him, but he is much more aggressive now going to the hoop! His length and mobility against Hinson should tire him out and possibly get a few fouls! Leave Bacot on their 5 so he can conserve some energy for O + rebounding!

I would love to see Nickel get more PT. He is a offensive player that shows flashes on defense at times. Rebounds well. Sometimes I look at the lineup on the floor and it would be 4 guys that should never shoot and Bacot in the post being triple teamed. We need someone to open up the inside with some quality outside shooting and from the backups he seems to be the most likely to succeed there.

The substitution pattern has been explained by multiple peeps! It is situational and closer to a pro system. Breaks in the first half for the starters and subs in the 2nd are based on need, effectiveness, and matchups!
That seems to be the best explanation from where I sit.

Well we know Dunn can't guard Hinson. Learned that the hard way at the end of the last game when Hinson scored 5 points on Dunn that won Pitt the game.

OK, I admit it, I actually am Hubs!

And nobody circles the wagons like Tar Heel Family! (Thanks Boom!)_
OR
I hate it when peeps want to be unfair in their criticism and seldom point out anything good in the team they supposedly root for! It is interesting to me that peeps refuse to acknowledge any growth in our coach (and often our players) even when it is easy to see AND they expect him to be a HOF coach with no need to improve by the middle of his second year! Weird how the team seems to be responding so well and recruits seem to flock to such a poor coach isn't it? Coaching at UNC is one of the most difficult and complex coaching jobs in all of sports AND our last 2 HOF coaches had to grow into the job sooooo.....I choose to highlight the positive while some remain mired in negativity!

I'll err on the side of Family everytime!

Go Tar Heels!

Reactions: Heels5150

It is interesting to me that peeps refuse to acknowledge any growth in our coach (and often our players) even when it is easy to see AND they expect him to be a HOF coach with no need to improve by the middle of his second year! Weird how the team seems to be responding so well and recruits seem to flock to such a poor coach isn't it? Coaching at UNC is one of the most difficult and complex coaching jobs in all of sports AND our last 2 HOF coaches had to grow into the job sooooo.....I choose to highlight the positive while some remain mired in negativity!

Go Tar Heels!
Now everything you post makes perfect sense. Except that everything I highlighted is BS. It's fair game to discuss the lack of bench development, the feasibility of running multiple defenses, Caleb's evergreen light, Hubert's offensive mindset, etc.... He's a coach making funny money, he is not above criticism. If Dean and Roy weren't, Hubert definitely isn't.

You’ll be claiming Hubert walks on water next. Are you a relative? Hubert can toot his own horn, he doesn’t need you to circle the wagons every time he is discussed.
Being insulted by you is a bit more than being discussed...

And nobody circles the wagons like Tar Heel Family! (Thanks Boom!)_
OR
I hate it when peeps want to be unfair in their criticism and seldom point out anything good in the team they supposedly root for! It is interesting to me that peeps refuse to acknowledge any growth in our coach (and often our players) even when it is easy to see AND they expect him to be a HOF coach with no need to improve by the middle of his second year! Weird how the team seems to be responding so well and recruits seem to flock to such a poor coach isn't it? Coaching at UNC is one of the most difficult and complex coaching jobs in all of sports AND our last 2 HOF coaches had to grow into the job sooooo.....I choose to highlight the positive while some remain mired in negativity!

Go Tar Heels!
If Hubert's 2nd year follows the same trajectory as his first year - rough early on, impressive down the stretch - then I think most of us could adapt to that and freak out less early in the season. But we do have to see that happen to rein in our anxiety.

Tonight's game will be a good test. It "should" be a convincing win. Home court, revenge motive, and all that.

Reactions: r_u_worthy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT