ADVERTISEMENT

Y'all give this some love...

I hope that it works out for the player and UNC. Honestly, I would not recruit any player associated with IMG or any other athletic factory. It's not worth the risk. Sharpe was wonderful, I suppose. But you get one year of 19 minutes per game. It's not worth the time and effort

Not hasty at all. So let's say that he's the next Joel Berry. Times have changed. Let's say he has a challenging freshman year like Berry. Times have changed. He turns pro anyway. It's not worth it. Sign a top 50 PG and a top 150 PG and let them develop

I hope that it works out for the player and UNC. Honestly, I would not recruit any player associated with IMG or any other athletic factory. It's not worth the risk. Sharpe was wonderful, I suppose. But you get one year of 19 minutes per game. It's not worth the time and effort
Bacot not worth it for you?

We're still not certain that Bacot is returning. I suspect that he would stay in the draft if there were mutual interest. His record is 32-31 in two years. I would prefer a top 100 center with a decent hairstyle and no tattoos.
Wow.

First, he’s coming back. Hubert has said so himself.

Second, you’re either trolling or just an idiot with the hairstyle and tattoo comment. Pick which one.

Not a troll and not an idiot. I admire the players who go to IMG, Montverde and the G-League. They are propelling their professional aspirations. It's great for the player and bad for the college basketball team. Sharpe was as good as advertised, and gone after one year. Bacot is fine. Productive, but not so good that he turns pro. And Rechon Black never improved after his freshman year in high school. I would avoid the basketball factories at all costs

My family has pretty close ties with him and from what he said when he was first offered by Roy was somewhere along the lines of it being really hard to turn down. He grew up a UK fan so it’ll be interesting to see which wins out 👀

I read that Jaden told Hubert he was more than likely here for 2 years, at least. No plans for a OAD.
I can love that...ya know.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
We're still not certain that Bacot is returning. I suspect that he would stay in the draft if there were mutual interest. His record is 32-31 in two years. I would prefer a top 100 center with a decent hairstyle and no tattoos.
Ill bite.
Black kids cant express themselves via haircuts and tattoo's?
Has a racial undertone.
As long as anyone can see thru their hair, and the tats arent visiably vulgar, what difference does it make?
Also, is Bacot personally responsible for that record?

Red neck troll ... (imo)

Not hasty at all. So let's say that he's the next Joel Berry. Times have changed. Let's say he has a challenging freshman year like Berry. Times have changed. He turns pro anyway. It's not worth it. Sign a top 50 PG and a top 150 PG and let them develop
Not a troll and not an idiot. I admire the players who go to IMG, Montverde and the G-League. They are propelling their professional aspirations. It's great for the player and bad for the college basketball team. Sharpe was as good as advertised, and gone after one year. Bacot is fine. Productive, but not so good that he turns pro. And Rechon Black never improved after his freshman year in high school. I would avoid the basketball factories at all costs

1 - I too much prefer we look at guys that know they are going to be multiyear players. That is emphasized even more so with point guards. If Bradley really did indicate he's looking at 2 years minimum, then hell yes, sign me up (maybe we luck out and get 3 out of him). And even if he explodes in his freshman year and is seen as a draft pick, more power to him. But I only want guys that come to school thinking they will be there a while. The buy-in is greater, and thus, the chances at success of that player - WITHIN OUR PROGRAM - are greater.

2 - Bacot's hairstyle is ridiculous and embarrassing and not the least bit flattering for the big guy. But kids today...whatyagonnado?
*Oh, and for the record, if a white kid had Bacot's hairstyle, it would look absurd on him too and I would "express myself" in saying so.

3 - Tattoos used to be somewhat cool because they were rare and only "edgy" types sported them. Now, they're so "also ran" and overplayed that they lost any kind of uniqueness they ever had and I view people with tattoos very differently than I used to.

4 - I also have no problem with guys wanting to get on the professional athlete track. And like you, I wish colleges - not just UNC, but all of NCAA partnering schools - would not participate in such. I have no problem with 18 year old kids going to get paid. Good for them. But don't waste the time and effort of college coaches.

And I agree about the basketball factories. Those guys aren't interested in going to school and playing basketball on the side. They're looking to make a career out of it. Again, that's great. Chase your dream, Homie. Just not at our expense.

Sharpe was a great dude from all accounts. And he is going to be a really nice player. But to be frank, what did he do for Carolina? I don't mean that in an ugly way but if I remember him at all, I'll remember him as a bench player on one of our most disappointing teams in recent memory. Thanks?

Seth Trimble is on his OV right now..how do y’all feel about him! I know he likes Michigan a lot! J.P. Tokoto is his bro for those who don’t know and is with him on his visit! I personally would love Trimble or Bradley...just wondering what others thought?

Seems Michigan may be near the top of Bradley and Trimbles list. Not sure if they will take both, but they’ve got a good chance at landing at least one which directly effects UNC’s pg recruiting.

Reactions: Dave Vass
Seems Michigan may be near the top of Bradley and Trimbles list. Not sure if they will take both, but they’ve got a good chance at landing at least one which directly effects UNC’s pg recruiting.
I'm sure Michigan would take both. Bradley is ranked 18 and plays immediately. Trimble is ranked 78 and sits for two years

I'm sure Michigan would take both. Bradley is ranked 18 and plays immediately. Trimble is ranked 78 and sits for two years

No one sits for 2 years anymore. And Trimble is an athletic freak like his brother (half brother?) so any program is going to try and get him some run. I also think he's criminally underrated. Not sure why. Some of the recruiting gurus around here can probably shed some light on it.

I would be shocked if he and Bradley ended up at the same school.

My worry is that we lose a guy like Davis to the portal(whom I think will become a very good player), because we land a guy like Bradley for one year. That would have us starting yet another freshman PG the following year, not a recipe for success as we’ve proven.

Now if Bradley stays 2-3 years... But there’s no way of knowing.

Last edited:
Just read some about his Mich visit, and in that article he said in response to is he OAD, he said, as long as it takes.
Where ever he goes he may stay 2, or even 3.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
Just read some about his Mich visit, and in that article he said in response to is he OAD, he said, as long as it takes.
Where ever he goes he may stay 2, or even 3.
I like that answer. Evaluate the situation each year. Work hard, develop, and make informed decisions. Much as he is doing now in his college decision.

And I agree about the basketball factories. Those guys aren't interested in going to school and playing basketball on the side. They're looking to make a career out of it. Again, that's great. Chase your dream, Homie. Just not at our expense.
What college basketball player goes to UNC/Kentucky/Dook etc with the expectation that theyre going to play for 4 years and then be done playing and go sell life insurance? The goal for anyone that goes to a basketball school is to play professionally.

If a computer prodigy goes to Harvard and after his freshman year Amazon offers to pay him a million dollars a year to be a software engineer do you think he’s supposed to stay for 3 more years out of respect for the school or something?

ill never understand how companies or colleges worth billions of dollars think students, employees, or athletes that they can replace in minutes are somehow indebted to them

Reactions: dtodd4475
If a computer prodigy goes to Harvard and after his freshman year Amazon offers to pay him a million dollars a year to be a software engineer do you think he’s supposed to stay for 3 more years out of respect for the school or something?

How many of those computer prodigies go to their freshman year at Harvard telling people they don’t plan to be there but 8 months? If they do, then I’d tell Harvard to tell those guys to scram and devote your time and resources to someone that wants to learn from you. Not someone that is just biding their time. That’s not doing any favors to either party.

I’m not mad at those kids or hate them or anything. I’d just prefer to not have anything to do with them. It’s simply my preference as a fan. I’m a fan of Carolina basketball. I’m not a fan of 18 year old kids who happen to play ball for Carolina.

How many of those computer prodigies go to their freshman year at Harvard telling people they don’t plan to be there but 8 months? If they do, then I’d tell Harvard to tell those guys to scram and devote your time and resources to someone that wants to learn from you. Not someone that is just biding their time. That’s not doing any favors to either party.

I’m not mad at those kids or hate them or anything. I’d just prefer to not have anything to do with them. It’s simply my preference as a fan. I’m a fan of Carolina basketball. I’m not a fan of 18 year old kids who happen to play ball for Carolina.
As a fan I could see why that would be your only interest. College is not a final destination for anybody, it is a stepping stone to get to your chosen field prepared to succeed. Seems like that is the intent of a University whether that takes 1, 2,3,4, or more years.

There sure is a lot of money to be made and games to be won if the elite in their field choose to remain when that chosen field of employment offers them employment opportunities in the revenue Goliath's of football and basketball.

Last edited:

Stanford and many elite academic institutions actually give their "prodigies" who are recruited and sought out early and often to Silicone Valley, top companies, etc. life long scholarships in many cases to return free of charge for any course work they may want as their professional career unfolds, to stay at the cutting edge if needed, after they are "headhunted" and leave early to prestigious positions.

They realize that the connection with those leaders in the field is worth WAY more to the school then an extra year or two on campus, when they are ready and wanted by the leaders in their field they go.

It's sad that so many spend so much of their day looking to get attention. Either by bad haircuts, tattoos or some form of social media.

Reactions: Grayhead
Yes, I am fully acknowledging that as well. As a fan the bottom line is wins and championships, for many fans the only concern.

The schools are in a tougher position though, as this arena is a billion dollar industry the has some real benefits to hold on to the money making talent as long as you can as opposed to the other fields where the payoff is the success in the professional world. The best and brightest, are always an easy want at elite institutions the quicker they are ready the better. The "playing field" is professional success for them.

Schools are trying to balance the best makeup for on court success, for the cash in while they are here system of college hoops. As one of the elite basketball schools we have the ears of many of the best and the brightest. This thread is questioning the mix of elite talent, and the perils of too much of those best and brightest for the all important"W's" while they are here, and still having those leaders in the "industry" representing your school in their profession, as a testament to continue to attract the players they work so hard to convince that their school is the place to choose in recruiting.

The revenue sports are indeed in a different spot, as others fields clearly want the best and the brightest with the goal of helping them to move on ready to get their "W's" in their careers. The quicker and larger the success after they leave creates the bigger the "W's" for University.

Last edited:
Yes, I am fully acknowledging that as well. As a fan the bottom line is wins and championships, for many fans the only concern.

The schools are in a tougher position though, as this arena is a billion dollar industry the has some real benefits to hold on to the money making talent as long as you can as opposed to the other fields where the payoff is the success in the professional world. The best and brightest, are always an easy want at elite institutions the quicker they are ready the better. The "playing field" is professional success for them.

Schools are trying to balance the best makeup for on court success, for the cash in while they are here system of college hoops. As one of the elite basketball schools we have the ears of many of the best and the brightest. This thread is questioning the mix of elite talent, and the perils of too much of those best and brightest for the all important"W's" while they are here, and still having those leaders in the "industry" representing your school in their profession, as a testament to continue to attract the players they work so hard to convince that their school is the place to choose in recruiting.

The revenue sports are indeed in a different spot, as others fields clearly want the best and the brightest with the goal of helping them to move on ready to get their "W's" in their careers. The quicker and larger the success after they leave creates the bigger the "W's" for University.

Uhhh, ok.

I know why a bee stings. But that doesn't make me like it any better.

Reactions: dtodd4475
It would be easier if scram could be the answer for bees as well, but then where would the fun in having a thread to try to figure out how best to balance the need for bees with those troublesome stings they also can cause be.

It would be easier if scram could be the answer for bees as well,

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT