ADVERTISEMENT

#1 recruit Ayton to Arizona

No final four's since 2001. I was going to come up with something witty and punny about money to say but it isn't even worth it at this point. We know what's going on in Zona.

Big payoff by shoe company to handlers. Nothing the NCAA can do about it. The kid still needs to qualify.

He's never gonna step foot on campus as an Arizona student. I'm not even sure if he has a Kentucky offer.

So....The Terrance Ferguson route?
Yeah, might have to wait and see how Ferguson goes. He's playing in the Aussie pro league and it's real big-boy play.... a lot of grown men who aren't afraid to throw their weight around.

UK hasn't hardly recruited Ayton, it was more Ayton recruiting UK. Don't think Cal missed on this one, he simply was wise enough to know the kid will either play overseas or be ineligible.
Not quite the way I heard it. Cal didn't want to have it look like he missed out. He was on Ayton early and would have tried to find a way to get him eligible in a heart beat --- he always has. Thing is, I've been hearing AZ thru the grapevine since mid-summer and I suspect so did Cal... so it was time to at least appear to cut his losses and save face... and yeah, not get caught up in the inevitable eligibility questions unnecessarily when he was going somewhere else. But Cal was still more than willing to take him.

Last edited:
Yeah, might have to wait and see how Ferguson goes. He's playing in the Aussie pro league and it's real big-boy play.... a lot of grown men who aren't afraid to throw their weight around.
Make no mistake, Oz... Ayton is the real deal and will be lottery no matter where he plays next year. I sincerely believe he wants that one season to be for a college, but the fact is he could likely sit on his ass for a season and not hurt his draft status.

The cards have been strong toward him joining Miller's little operation for a while now. I'll get some popcorn and wait for the eligibility thing to play out...;)

Make no mistake, Oz... Ayton is the real deal and will be lottery no matter where he plays next year. I sincerely believe he wants that one season to be for a college, but the fact is he could likely sit on his ass for a season and not hurt his draft status.

The cards have been strong toward him joining Miller's little operation for a while now. I'll get some popcorn and wait for the eligibility thing to play out...;)
Agree Gary, I've watched some of Ayton's highlights and he's super skilled and got great size.
I was talking more about Ferguson..... no matter how skilled he is, he's light.... when he goes in to try dunk on an Alecs Maric or AJ Ogilvy those guys are not going to hold back!

Reactions: gary-7
UK hasn't hardly recruited Ayton, it was more Ayton recruiting UK. Don't think Cal missed on this one, he simply was wise enough to know the kid will either play overseas or be ineligible.
And BTW, #1 kat homer Evan Daniel called Ayton to UK just this afternoon... before the announcement of course...:cool:.

Not quite the way I heard it. Cal didn't want to have it look like he missed out. He was on Ayton early and would have tried to find a way to get him eligible in a heart beat --- he always has. Thing is, I've been hearing AZ thru the grapevine since mid-summer and I suspect so did Cal... so it was time to at least appear to cut his losses and save face... and yeah, not get caught up in the inevitable eligibility questions unnecessarily when he was going somewhere else. But Cal was still more than willing to take him.

What I heard was a lil different gary, not to discount what you were hearing. But what I was hearing was Kal was wanting to first see if they could find a way to get him eligible, not wanting another Kantor situation that would blow off another 5 star. Rumor for a while now that Ky is slow playing a 5 star big as they tried to secure a TOP player in this class and most felt that was either Bamba or Ayton, I think most thought it was Ayton.

Zona is news to me, I heard kansas was considered the team to beat if it was not Ky but neither were sure they could get him eligible. This is a bit of a gamble by Miller, it effectively now blocks them from another center from this class. Now it is going to be real interesting to see what Ky does, do they get bamba rather quickly, Nick Richards or the big kid out of Virgina, or Vanderbilt? I suspect they may move forward with Richards and maybe Vanderbilt and if they do they are out of it for Bamba. This will have ripple effects on other domino's, getting fun now! LOL

Ayton is on record saying he wants to play a season in college ball before entering the draft so if Miller can get him eligible I think he plays that season.

What I heard was a lil different gary, not to discount what you were hearing. But what I was hearing was Kal was wanting to first see if they could find a way to get him eligible, not wanting another Kantor situation that would blow off another 5 star. Rumor for a while now that Ky is slow playing a 5 star big as they tried to secure a TOP player in this class and most felt that was either Bamba or Ayton, I think most thought it was Ayton.

Zona is news to me, I heard kansas was considered the team to beat if it was not Ky but neither were sure they could get him eligible. This is a bit of a gamble by Miller, it effectively now blocks them from another center from this class. Now it is going to be real interesting to see what Ky does, do they get bamba rather quickly, Nick Richards or the big kid out of Virgina, or Vanderbilt? I suspect they may move forward with Richards and maybe Vanderbilt and if they do they are out of it for Bamba. This will have ripple effects on other domino's, getting fun now! LOL

Ayton is on record saying he wants to play a season in college ball before entering the draft so if Miller can get him eligible I think he plays that season.
I'll just say there were conversations this summer around AAU that AZ was the smart, um, money --- ironic language?. What you posted above is really not at odds with what I said earlier. Cal was playing it coy publicly because of the prospect of bad publicity and losing face, but he was definitely after Ayton. I can't say for sure if/when he knew he would lose out --- that ain't his style to quit, he was going after it to the end. Hell, the fact that his homer-boy Daniels was calling Ayton to UK yesterday afternoon tells ya that. Ironically KU, who was recruiting him the loudest, was the quietest at the end.

This episode is why I have been posting that Calipari for once is not guaranteed an elite Big in this class. He put his eggs in the Ayton basket to no avail, and he's likely outside-looking-in on Carter. Bamba? Who knows where he ends up. And the best thing is he lost ground with PJ while prioritizing those three, ground he is trying desperately to make up as we speak. Will he be able to make that ground up? Maybe, But as of now IMO he's playing catch-up to UNC and TX. He's after McCoy, but he will take more than one season to develop and that goes outside the UK comfort zone.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
Where did you say last mid summer you heard any of this? Where did the money accusations and ironies come from?

I'll just say there were conversations this summer around AAU that AZ was the smart, um, money --- ironic language?. What you posted above is really not at odds with what I said earlier. Cal was playing it coy publicly because of the prospect of bad publicity and losing face, but he was definitely after Ayton. I can't say for sure if/when he knew he would lose out --- that ain't his style to quit, he was going after it to the end. Hell, the fact that his homer-boy Daniels was calling Ayton to UK yesterday afternoon tells ya that. Ironically KU, who was recruiting him the loudest, was the quietest at the end.

This episode is why I have been posting that Calipari for once is not guaranteed an elite Big in this class. He put his eggs in the Ayton basket to no avail, and he's likely outside-looking-in on Carter. Bamba? Who knows where he ends up. And the best thing is he lost ground with PJ while prioritizing those three, ground he is trying desperately to make up as we speak. Will he be able to make that ground up? Maybe, But as of now IMO he's playing catch-up to UNC and TX. He's after McCoy, but he will take more than one season to develop and that goes outside the UK comfort zone.

gary, I don't think Carter is all that fond of Ky, Trent may be a hook if Trent feels duke is to loaded at his position. Bamba, who the heck knows, to me he may be the most interesting domino on the board due to the ripples he would case for everyone else. I expect him to wait til the spiing when the picture is much more clear....LOL

I think Ky ends up with Billy Preston and/or Nick Richards, 2 darn talented big men, and calls it a day for their front court. I think SJK is back and I am not certain that Bam is a 1st round lock if he does not score more.

I am going to phrase this as it being my extra strong plus plus OPINION...PJ and Ky ain't gonna happen and PJ & Texas I feel about 98% as sure of. Starting to worry a lil about Arizona, now his playing beside Ayton could be a lure. But the door looks wide open at this point for him to be a Tar Heel...

I am going to phrase this as it being my extra strong plus plus OPINION...PJ and Ky ain't gonna happen and PJ & Texas I feel about 98% as sure of. Starting to worry a lil about Arizona, now his playing beside Ayton could be a lure. But the door looks wide open at this point for him to be a Tar Heel...
I was with ya til you got to PJ and TX... or maybe I didn't read it right. Either way --- TX is our biggest competition for PJ, yes... and I'm thinking (hoping) Paul Sr cuts off that Findlay-to-AZ nonsense. As of now, I'm still liking our chances..BTW: I believe Roy will be hitting Vegas personally this weekend in his continuing Full-Roy-Press on PJ.

BTW: The Ayton deal represents the epitome of what I've been preaching on here about the backroom handler/AAU shenanigans. I hear some knowing whispers a while back, and bingo-bango-bongo it comes to fruition. I'll telI ya Dave, I just LMFAO at some who come on boards like this one and defend Miller --- if they believe he's playing straight I've got some prime beach-front property in Tucson I'll let em have... REAL cheap :rolleyes::cool:

Last edited:
I was with ya til you got to PJ and TX... or maybe I didn't read it right. Either way --- TX is our biggest competition for PJ, yes... and I'm thinking (hoping) Paul Sr cuts off that Findlay-to-AZ nonsense. As of now, I'm still liking our chances.

BTW: The Ayton deal represents the epitome of what I've been preaching on here about the backroom handler/AAU shenanigans. I hear some knowing whispers a while back, and bingo-bango-bongo it comes to fruition. I'll telI ya Dave, I just LMFAO at some who come on boards like this one and defend Miller --- if they believe he's playing straight I've got some prime beach-front property in Tucson I'll let em have... REAL cheap :rolleyes::cool:

It is no secret that Miller is dirty, he is especially nasty in how he shares the "problems" at UNC. It isn't as if he has shown great coaching chops, he has the talent but he does a great imitation of Leonard Hamilton! The amazing thing is kids still buy his BS while he wastes the talent he gets.

But he may be the biggest competiton we have now for PJ, I am tellin ya gary, Texas has faded, not quite as far as ky has but the have faded to being well behind us. To the extent that IMO rock solid double plus plus opinion PJ plays college ball for either UNC, Arizona, or UNLV. Don't forget where ya heard it...LOL

It is no secret that Miller is dirty, he is especially nasty in how he shares the "problems" at UNC. It isn't as if he has shown great coaching chops, he has the talent but he does a great imitation of Leonard Hamilton! The amazing thing is kids still buy his BS while he wastes the talent he gets.

But he may be the biggest competiton we have now for PJ, I am tellin ya gary, Texas has faded, not quite as far as ky has but the have faded to being well behind us. To the extent that IMO rock solid double plus plus opinion PJ plays college ball for either UNC, Arizona, or UNLV. Don't forget where ya heard it...LOL
David, I H O P E you're right on TX... . IF SO... things would be lookin R E A L good for the good guys. I fully understand your trepidations concerning the far-western "contenders"... but, as cautious as I am about the untrustworthy types?... not really feelin' all that worried there.

Last edited:
Dave, Arizona and UNLV are so strong at Findlay prep that I hate hearing that. Maybe Paul, Sr will break the trend but we'll see. I would feel much better if Pj, jr wasn't at Findlay prep.

This goes against what everyone, including people who have strong relationships with PJ's family, say. I'll roll with our experts and continue to believe that this is a 3 horse race between UK, UT, and UNC.

This goes against what everyone, including people who have strong relationships with PJ's family, say. I'll roll with our experts and continue to believe that this is a 3 horse race between UK, UT, and UNC.

And I take no issue at all with your doing so, I just offer what I think and try to explain why I think what I do. That does not come with a requirement to agree, never has been my way and will not begin. I am satisfied as long as I feel folks understand what I am saying and why and past that it is up to you as an individual to form your own opinion.

Edit for total disclosure, Clint does not agree with me either per the pod cast.

Last edited:
Dave, Arizona and UNLV are so strong at Findlay prep that I hate hearing that. Maybe Paul, Sr will break the trend but we'll see. I would feel much better if Pj, jr wasn't at Findlay prep.

There have been financial realities that have allowed those relationships to grow as strong as we all know they have been. Now when I consider, not in any way taking a negative shot at PJs dad but there are going to be both financial as well as local across town pressures to maintain those relationships with programs with much better proximity to Findley than UNC has.

Where do we stand?

Per the podcast, Clint says with PJ it is Ky, Texas, UNC. Seems solid that Huffman to UNC will happen, matter of when it will be announced. Clint feels between Bamba, PJ, and Knox that our best shot is Knox.

Where do we stand?
Please listen to it...then you can make your own assumptions...he also used the term"if I had to guess" when referring to Knox..he basically called Carter to dook,we're behind TX and UK for pj,and he can't get a read on bamba...his camp is tight lipped!!..Knox is our best chance because he's not caught up in the oad hype!!

Please listen to it...then you can make your own assumptions...he also used the term"if I had to guess" when referring to Knox..he basically called Carter to dook,we're behind TX and UK for pj,and he can't get a read on bamba...his camp is tight lipped!!..Knox is our best chance because he's not caught up in the oad hype!!
I will respectfully disagree on a couple of Clint's guesses: I get almost the exact opposite vibe on Knox, but hey, again that's just my guess (and I'll be glad to be wrong)... and if one tunes out the UK hype machine things look a bit different on PJ. Jes' sayin'....

Per the podcast, Clint says with PJ it is Ky, Texas, UNC. Seems solid that Huffman to UNC will happen, matter of when it will be announced. Clint feels between Bamba, PJ, and Knox that our best shot is Knox.
Hmmm... Translation, re: Huffman? --- Roy wants him to hold off announcing but has told him he probably has a schollie (just a guess :cool:).

I will respectfully disagree on a couple of Clint's guesses: I get almost the exact opposite vibe on Knox, but hey, again that's just my guess (and I'll be glad to be wrong)... and if one tunes out the UK hype machine things look a bit different on PJ. Jes' sayin'....
Gary,I hope you are wrong about Knox..but pj is the one I want the most!!. But to Clint's defense..he did say"if I had to guess"...

Where can I find it?

Gary,I hope you are wrong about Knox..but pj is the one I want the most!!. But to Clint's defense..he did say"if I had to guess"...
Exactly. And hell, Clint has interviewed Knox, so I hope he's right. I've just always sensed more of a OAD vibe with him. That being said, there has been more positive chatter on that front recently.

For all of this though, Clint's best word in the podcast was "fluid", a word I've tried to get across more than once.

I agree gary, on Knox, maybe what is coming from his camp is more than I realize. But here is my concern, Tatum, I think we all know is going to be one & done, even if he does not have a great season, as long as he shows the potential he is gone IMO. Tatum is IMO duke's wing for the coming season and if he is one & done that is a wide open wing spot with little to no contenders. Look at us, I think we all assume Justin is gone after next season but that still leaves Theo as the natural fit to take Justin's spot, not nearly as open as what duke can show. I would suggest Tatum leaving after next season is even more likely than Justin. So I don't see it myself, considering how solid Knox is that he is a wing and not a 4. Notice, Roy has offers out to 2 big time wing talents for 2018, to replace Theo.

And as for PJ and Ky, put it this way, I do not agree that Ky is a factor that is in a better situation than UNC for this kid.

I agree gary, on Knox, maybe what is coming from his camp is more than I realize. But here is my concern, Tatum, I think we all know is going to be one & done, even if he does not have a great season, as long as he shows the potential he is gone IMO. Tatum is IMO duke's wing for the coming season and if he is one & done that is a wide open wing spot with little to no contenders. Look at us, I think we all assume Justin is gone after next season but that still leaves Theo as the natural fit to take Justin's spot, not nearly as open as what duke can show. I would suggest Tatum leaving after next season is even more likely than Justin. So I don't see it myself, considering how solid Knox is that he is a wing and not a 4. Notice, Roy has offers out to 2 big time wing talents for 2018, to replace Theo.

And as for PJ and Ky, put it this way, I do not agree that Ky is a factor that is in a better situation than UNC for this kid.
Yeah, Knox despite his height, has always seen himself as more of a Wing. I dunno... I'm not getting any hopes up on that front just yet. And I wouldn't count out F$U here either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT