ADVERTISEMENT

1 Seed in South vs 2 Seed in East

thaUNCshow

All-ACC
Mar 25, 2010
Barring a collapse during our last few weeks, this looks like our 2 most likely scenarios. Lunardi currently has us as the South 1 seed, with the 2 first games played in Raleigh and the regional in Louisville. Villanova is currently the projected East 1 seed, but we've also been projected as the 2 in that region. Villanova plays in a relatively weak conference, so it's hard to see them losing control of that spot.

Which would be more favorable? I would hate to be a 1 seed and be stuck with a team like Maryland or Oklahoma as our 2, vs being a 2 but getting Villanova as our 1, who looks to be the weakest of the perceived elite teams this year. Even as a 2 seed, our first two games would likely be in Raleigh, but the only risk would be a potential matchup in the Elite 8 vs Nova in Philly, essentially a home game for them. Which scenario to you see as more favorable?

I would rather play Villanova in Philly. They just do not scare me at all.

As it sits right now, I'd take the #1 in the South. #2 Xavier doesn't scare me, #3 Michigan State doesn't scare me, #4 Iowa State doesn't scare me. The way it currently sits though, they have 8 ACC teams in right now, with 3 of them being in the same bracket as us, putting half the ACC entries in one bracket.

#2 in the East so selfishly I can see them in Philly.

Unselfishly...

I don't want to see Nova in Philly. They can shoot the lights out, it will be a familiar place, and teams that can shoot pose the biggest threat to us.

We want to be in Villanovas bracket. If we finish real strong we will overtake Villankva as the 1 in the East. If we drop some, that's on us.

If the ACC has that big a crowd potentially dancing, they better get to work and space them out, spread those spots to other brackets Joe.

Going off of ESPN's Bracketology:

We're a #2 Seed in the East with Villanova as a #1 Seed. Right now, the bracket they give us would be the most favorable bracket we could get
based on current team projections.

I don't really see too much fear when I think of Villanova. Hell, they lost to State last year as a #1 Seed.

Don't know where we end up, as this team could either go up or down at this point, but I'd like to avoid Kansas and all teams at Iowa at least until the Elite 8/Final Four.

Anyone who says they don't fear Nova hasn't watched them play this year. They have demolished teams when they are hot. It's a team that can beat anyone but lose to anyone. Catch them on a hot night and we're done.

Combine that with the fact it would be in Philly...nah, no thanks on that matchup.

Reactions: Prof C
dadika is on to something, in that, I don't want to play the "hot" team near their home region to open, having said that, I do not think the Heels would be too terrified to play anyone in the top 10, the current top 10 isn't our daddy's top 10, knowwhatImean? :cool:
This time of year can also be very much about matchups...

Last edited:
Barring a collapse during our last few weeks, this looks like our 2 most likely scenarios. Lunardi currently has us as the South 1 seed, with the 2 first games played in Raleigh and the regional in Louisville. Villanova is currently the projected East 1 seed, but we've also been projected as the 2 in that region. Villanova plays in a relatively weak conference, so it's hard to see them losing control of that spot.

Which would be more favorable? I would hate to be a 1 seed and be stuck with a team like Maryland or Oklahoma as our 2, vs being a 2 but getting Villanova as our 1, who looks to be the weakest of the perceived elite teams this year. Even as a 2 seed, our first two games would likely be in Raleigh, but the only risk would be a potential matchup in the Elite 8 vs Nova in Philly, essentially a home game for them. Which scenario to you see as more favorable?

Nova is overrated. They are solid, but like you say they are in a weak conference and the most beatable of the top teams. They played OU already on a neutral site and lost by 23. Hard to say you'd rather be a 1, which would likely put OU as your number 2, than be a 2 with Nova as your 1.

just want them in the East region so they start in Raleigh with a friendly crowd and get momentum headed to the 2nd weekend. #1 or #2, that part doesn't matter to me.

Reactions: Heelicious
just want them in the East region so they start in Raleigh with a friendly crowd and get momentum headed to the 2nd weekend. #1 or #2, that part doesn't matter to me.
Bleed, the way the pod system works now I think they could play in Raleigh as a 1 or 2 and still be within almost any region including Midwest or west. 1s and 2s generally get to play close to home for first weekend of at all possible and 1s generally are placed in a closest home region throughout the tourney. Below a 2 and you can get shipped anywhere right from the start.

Bleed, the way the pod system works now I think they could play in Raleigh as a 1 or 2 and still be within almost any region including Midwest or west. 1s and 2s generally get to play close to home for first weekend of at all possible and 1s generally are placed in a closest home region throughout the tourney. Below a 2 and you can get shipped anywhere right from the start.

Indeed. The 2 seed in the East and 1 Seed in South both have opening games in Raleigh

Don't over-think this. We want the one seed. Louisville is only one hour further driving than Philly is from Chapel Hill. Villanova would be playing a virtual home game with a trip to the Final Four on the line. We struggle on the road. Take the one seed in Louisville.

Reactions: Prof C
Anyone who says they don't fear Nova hasn't watched them play this year. They have demolished teams when they are hot. It's a team that can beat anyone but lose to anyone. Catch them on a hot night and we're done.

Combine that with the fact it would be in Philly...nah, no thanks on that matchup.

Plus they shoot the 3-ball well and they're still mad about 2005. There are much easier pathways to the Final Four so I'll take the 1 seed in the South.

Man, the tournament is always so crazy these days, it is impossible to really project out who you will or will not play. I think this year's tourney is going to be WIDE OPEN!!! There really are no dominate teams in college basketball. This is a year I think we could see no more than one #1 seed in the Final Four.

Seeing teams like Duke, Baylor, & Notre Dame listed as #6 seeds tells you all you need to know.

Roy is 7-1 against Tom and the Spartans.
I'll revise my earlier post to say, I agree, I'll take the #1 seed. If both #1 and #2 begin play in Raleigh, #1 takes a decidedly different route than the #2 who heads to the next destination.

Law of averages?

Feel the same way with Michigan State. Roy may own Izzo, but they are due.

So I guess that means that we're due to win one against Kansas?

I'd rather take my chances that Izzo can't shake the demons against Roy, compared to taking my chances that Roy can shake the demons against Self

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT