ADVERTISEMENT

10,000,000. dollars to the 1st Person to answer this question...

KinstonNC

Sophomore
Oct 18, 2017
WITHOUT Googling, or using any other method other then what you yourself actually know.

Question: What is the difference between a EURO Step and Traveling?

• Haha
Reactions: Heelicious
WITHOUT Googling, or using any other method other then what you yourself actually know.

Nothing, in that a "Euro-step" is technically just slow-motion steps, sometimes changing direction along the way --- and as long as you only take your legally allotted 2, it ain't walking. HOWEVER, more often than not, there's an extra little step slipped in before the legal 2, which is a travel no matter WHAT speed you take em.

Gary gets the dough (beat me to it, I was just reading my google search - darn)

Reactions: gary-7
"Euro-step": as long as you are dragging, shuffling, scuffling at least one foot on the floor at all times, it is not traveling, no matter the steps taken or distance covered. Leave the floor with both feet, and come back down with both, that might be traveling

...though we saw in FSU game that double- or triple-jump-stop isn't always traveling.

Either in VT or FSU game, one guy did an agregious Euro step (but I don't think it was the big Euro dude) - I thought it was obscene. Basically from stand still at FT line, to the rim, 15 feet, no dribbles. Doesn't seem physically possible.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I hate that dragging of the foot, it has always looked to be a travel, kinda like palming the ball, ever see that one called cause RJ and Caleb do it ALL the time, or hanging on the rim following a dunk being a technical, saw a bunch of it in highlights this week-end, Heelicious I jumped up and called that one, the guy sure did travel.
If you are dribbling down court, stop, pick up your dribble, then drag your pivot foot I'd bet a dollar you get traveling on that one...

While the lack of traveling calls is a pet peeve of mine, I've always thought that the Euro Step is just an exaggerated one-and-a-half steps that I was taught as a kid. The half-step being the foot you jump off of. I've not looked at it closely, but as long as the first foot isn't touching the floor when the second one does, it should be ok, right?

What bothers me more is what they allow James Hardin to do in the NBA. Looks like he's doing a waltz or a tango out there.

in college ball they allow palming/carrying WAAAAAY more than the euro-step. it's nearly impossible to guard anyone on the perimeter due to the palming and part of the reason there are so many hand-check fouls.

Reactions: Heelicious
While the lack of traveling calls is a pet peeve of mine, I've always thought that the Euro Step is just an exaggerated one-and-a-half steps that I was taught as a kid. The half-step being the foot you jump off of. I've not looked at it closely, but as long as the first foot isn't touching the floor when the second one does, it should be ok, right?

What bothers me more is what they allow James Hardin to do in the NBA. Looks like he's doing a waltz or a tango out there.
NBA travelling, moving with the ball, palming, etc rule enforcement is horrendous. Some of the clips are insane. Where I guess the officials literally were looking away when a guy takes about 5 steps. Or goes from a jump stop, to a shuffle step, to another jump stop (5 steps minimum) to get behind the 3 point line or whatever.

.....but this is a ways down the list where I watch zero minutes of NBA anymore. None. And I don't miss it a bit.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
NBA travelling, moving with the ball, palming, etc rule enforcement is horrendous. Some of the clips are insane. Where I guess the officials literally were looking away when a guy takes about 5 steps. Or goes from a jump stop, to a shuffle step, to another jump stop (5 steps minimum) to get behind the 3 point line or whatever.

.....but this is a ways down the list where I watch zero minutes of NBA anymore. None. And I don't miss it a bit.

i had to Google "NBA" ... couldnt remember what it was.

Palming has become like holding in football - you could call it almost every possession
They should just do away with the call. Unless it's egregious. Maybe not even then.

We all enjoy watching deft dribbling and nifty one-hand passes, and palming helps with both of those skills.

Traveling is two steps and lifting the pivot w/o dribbling. Euro step is some BS that ESPN and NBA pundits invented to make that additional step that's usually ignored in the pros seem legit as it has a fancy name. In short one is a real thing, the other a product of marketing.

Pay up. DM me your PayPal deets. I'll put in my vacation notice in the AM.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Whatever you think about it, the Euro step was well established long before the NBA got hip to it. It was used very effectively in international competitions against the U.S. who were slow to implement it, but as most greats do, they went to work, learned, adapted, and implemented it to their repertoire

Manu Ginobli was an absolute magician slashing through bigs.

Last edited:
A euro step in legal form is one step (typically exaggerated) in one direction and then a second step in a different direction typically into a shot and done driving to the basket.
A travel is 3 or more steps will moving without dribbling, or a pivot foot shift.

Many current Euro step ref non-calls do not take the “gather” step (where the ball is returning to the hands from a dribble) into the counting of steps 1 & 2. This is why purists/smart people call most Euro steps a travel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT