ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Drop: Why UNC Fans Should Watch Out For Ven-Allen Lubin...

"As North Carolina continues looking to add a frontcourt player"

Pretty obvious that the staff was looking to add more than one front court player based on their pursuit of Thiero in addition to a bunch of centers.

"As North Carolina continues looking to add a frontcourt player"

Pretty obvious that the staff was looking to add more than one front court player based on their pursuit of Thiero in addition to a bunch of centers.

One at a time, right? And I am not so sure they would have taken Thiero and Aidoo/BIG together. Talking to different guys doesn't mean you'd take each one.

Only way I could see us taking only Lubin is if we simply strike out on every other possible option. We talk about platooning in the post and how difficult UNC might have it next year against a lot of very talented front courts on our schedule. But man we're walking a fine line where one injury could seriously wreck our season. We need talent and depth. Even last season after a very good portal recruiting run, we still jumped at the opportunity to add Okonkwo for depth.

I think the staff definitely wanted to add a starting 4 (Thiero) and a starting 5. I bet they'd still like to add a 4 and a 5, even if they are both backup options that aren't as talented. With 3 available scholarships you gotta do everything you can to put a decent front court in place. We still don't have anyone on the roster who can guard a physical center now that Bacot is gone. Lubin certainly doesn't answer that issue.

Only way I could see us taking only Lubin is if we simply strike out on every other possible option. We talk about platooning in the post and how difficult UNC might have it next year against a lot of very talented front courts on our schedule. But man we're walking a fine line where one injury could seriously wreck our season. We need talent and depth. Even last season after a very good portal recruiting run, we still jumped at the opportunity to add Okonkwo for depth.

I think the staff definitely wanted to add a starting 4 (Thiero) and a starting 5. I bet they'd still like to add a 4 and a 5, even if they are both backup options that aren't as talented. With 3 available scholarships you gotta do everything you can to put a decent front court in place. We still don't have anyone on the roster who can guard a physical center now that Bacot is gone. Lubin certainly doesn't answer that issue.

They pulled back from Thiero, especially once Tyson was a lock. As for Lubin, he's a really nice player and I think is better than JWash or Withers. He would start. He plays bigger than 6-8, is very sound, and is economical.

I agree they may add a second big, but unless it's a knockout, it would be more for depth. They spent a lot to keep the roster in tact, and they don't want to oversaturate the front court and create a bad situation. Watch Lubin's games. He's good.

They pulled back from Thiero, especially once Tyson was a lock. As for Lubin, he's a really nice player and I think is better than JWash or Withers. He would start. He plays bigger than 6-8, is very sound, and is economical.

I agree they may add a second big, but unless it's a knockout, it would be more for depth. They spent a lot to keep the roster in tact, and they don't want to oversaturate the front court and create a bad situation. Watch Lubin's games. He's good.
We need a center that can stop physical centers from dominating us in the paint and scoring easily. Lubin isn't that. We don't have any on the roster.

We need a stretch 4 that consistently knock down 3s. I think we've seen enough of Hubert's offense to see how important a 3pt making PF is (Manek,Ingram) and how rough things get when we don't have one (Nance, Leaky, Puff.) Lubin doesn't fill that need either.

Lubin is a nice traditional PF who would play the 5, because that's where traditional post players mainly play for Hubert. He's a Garrison Brooks type of guy. The type of guy Hubert pushed out when he took over the job to make room for the type of bigs he wanted. So it makes sense that he wasn't in Hubert's top tier of recruiting targets. Lubin will probably be a solid addition and I fully expect him to be our starting center unless we can land a better one. But it would be a monumental folly not to continue trying to add to the front court. We still need a big physical center (like Onyenso) and we still need a 3pt shooter (like Hawkins.) We should at minimum go all out for those two. We certainly can't count on High or Brown to contribute this season, and Washington's contributions are a complete unknown considering how hard the staff has been working to recruit over him.

We need a center that can stop physical centers from dominating us in the paint and scoring easily. Lubin isn't that. We don't have any on the roster.

We need a stretch 4 that consistently knock down 3s. I think we've seen enough of Hubert's offense to see how important a 3pt making PF is (Manek,Ingram) and how rough things get when we don't have one (Nance, Leaky, Puff.) Lubin doesn't fill that need either.

Lubin is a nice traditional PF who would play the 5, because that's where traditional post players mainly play for Hubert. He's a Garrison Brooks type of guy. The type of guy Hubert pushed out when he took over the job to make room for the type of bigs he wanted. So it makes sense that he wasn't in Hubert's top tier of recruiting targets. Lubin will probably be a solid addition and I fully expect him to be our starting center unless we can land a better one. But it would be a monumental folly not to continue trying to add to the front court. We still need a big physical center (like Onyenso) and we still need a 3pt shooter (like Hawkins.) We should at minimum go all out for those two. We certainly can't count on High or Brown to contribute this season, and Washington's contributions are a complete unknown considering how hard the staff has been working to recruit over him.

Understood, but at this point, if Lubin fits enough, and the staff doesn't want to wait on Hawkins, then take Lubin.

They aren't going to add the perfect pieces, but can still add pieces that make them better.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

Looks pretty solid, but maybe a tad slow? "Better than JWash or Withers" sounds good.

Understood, but at this point, if Lubin fits enough, and the staff doesn't want to wait on Hawkins, then take Lubin.

They aren't going to add the perfect pieces, but can still add pieces that make them better.
Agreed, and he gives the staff some flexibility, as he can bang with 5s or match up with 4s. He and JWash could also easily play together in a "big" lineup.

I do not agree that he is better than JWash on the offensive end but Lubin can hold his own defensively vs bigger guys --- long arms and gets his share of blocks.

In many ways, he would "complete" our roster.

Who do you want defending 7'1" Hunter Dickinson when we open the season in the Phog? Who do you want defending the strong bigs out there like Omier who can just back weaker players down? Or the 7 footers that can score over you if you can't physically keep them from posting up on the block?

Who do you want defending 7'1" Hunter Dickinson when we open the season in the Phog? Who do you want defending the strong bigs out there like Omier who can just back weaker players down? Or the 7 footers that can score over you if you can't physically keep them from posting up on the block?
I assume that's addressed to me?

Dickinson is a big stiff who sure, will get his points just from size and touch within 10-12 feet, but he ain't likely to dominate a game... and actually, Lubin is a great match to defend guys like Ormier.

Reality is that college basketball is a game of tradeoffs and finding bodies and skillsets that mesh together. Wilt Chamberlain ain't walking thru the portal, bro.

Take Lubin and continue pursuing Onyenso and Hawkins.
If they get Lubin I would just go after Onyenso…Can’t get him I think they will just roll with 11.You are never going to have a perfect team…Also about the 1 injury away thing that’s just about every team in the country…

Reactions: gary-7
I assume that's addressed to me?

Dickinson is a big stiff who sure, will get his points just from size and touch within 10-12 feet, but he ain't likely to dominate a game... and actually, Lubin is a great match to defend guys like Ormier.

Reality is that college basketball is a game of tradeoffs and finding bodies and skillsets that mesh together. Wilt Chamberlain ain't walking thru the portal, bro.
Lubin is 6'8" and 230 lbs per Vandy's official roster. That's like Jawad Williams size. That's not a good matchup for Omier or any other big that is strong (or fat like Burns.)

There is no reason that UNC should ever enter a season without at least one center physically strong enough to defend opposing centers. Even if it's a raw Alex Stepheson type that's more muscle than skill. You gotta have that option or opposing teams can just wear us out in the paint. Heck even a fat guy like freshman Meeks or Thompson can use their girth to push back on those opposing centers.

Need some insurance in case High isn't a productive player. I think a competent big helps. I like that Lubin only averages 2.9 fouls/40 minutes. He may immediately be our best interior defender just because he can stay on the floor and avoid foul trouble, lol.

Honestly, in every episode I've heard from Andrew, he's pretty bullish on Withers. For me, he's been an extremely inconsistent player for four years and I have no reason to think he won't be inconsistent next season. So, a competent big helps.

I'm not expecting to acquire an All-ACC big guy.

Need some insurance in case High isn't a productive player. I think a competent big helps. I like that Lubin only averages 2.9 fouls/40 minutes. He may immediately be our best interior defender just because he can stay on the floor and avoid foul trouble, lol.

Honestly, in every episode I've heard from Andrew, he's pretty bullish on Withers. For me, he's been an extremely inconsistent player for four years and I have no reason to think he won't be inconsistent next season. So, a competent big helps.

I'm not expecting to acquire an All-ACC big guy.
Yeah I agree with you on Withers. He's been in college 5 years. Always been inconsistent, always been a low iq type player, always made unforced turnovers trying to dribble, never really been a major factor on a good team. I see no reason to think year 6 will be any different.

At least with Washington or Lubin I can envision them continuing to grow and develop, maybe taking a big leap forward.

I really like this kid, if you have noticed, I had him as my second choice to replace Ingram, my first choice actually was the dukie that signed with OSU. What I love so much about Lubin is he gives us true flexibility between the 4 and 5 and at 6'8 & 230lbs he can bang some. I would love to see us wrap up both he and Oyenso because I want us to have that huge big body kid that blocks shots and grabs boards. But I don't feel a lot of courtship between our staff and Oyenso so that does not seem likely right now. With Lubin we can wait on Hawkins, I don't think Lubin keeps Hawkins away, run Lubin at the 5 and Hawkins at the 4 is the pitch but I would pair Jalen with Hawkins, Lubin with JWit. THAT is a really talented front line.

Reactions: RHFD and TPFKAPFS
Personally i would feel much better about this squad if they can add Onyenso. Are we sure Brown can't defend for a few minutes a game or is he just too thin?

Went and watched him some and not just highlights…He blocks a lot of shots for a guy 6’8…He has long arms and is built like a tank….Correct me if I am wrong he was a true sophomore last year and averaged 12 and 6 in a power league….You would expect a jump to his Junior year and playing on a better team….If he could come in and give us 16 and 8….I love it….

Reactions: TarHeelFanWV
I agree 100%! Hopefully, we lock up Lubin and then wait to see what Hawkins does. This is the perfect scenario because our roster would be already good enough to contend giving us the luxury to wait for CH! It is also very good because his addition (and CH potentially) would is not likely to cause any dissention in the ranks!

BTW: Who wouldn't love the optics of a 7 footer roaming the paint for UNC, but it isn't the only successful way to man the post!

Would it be reasonable to think Hubert and Stack have discussed Lubin? If so, that should make it easier to decide how good he is and how well he'll fit.

The thought being if Stack gives Lubin a solid review, that raises confidence.

His game reminds me a bit of Deon Thompson.
I think Deon was thicker. Lubin might be a little more mobile straight-line and have more vertical. Lubin doesn't look super speedy, like he isn't running like JT Toppin, but looks faster than Deon. Deon might've been more smooth back-2-basket. And Deon didn't attempt threes.

I think he'd be a good get for us competent, though not dynamic, 4 and a stand-in-but-small 5.

Lubin is 6'8" and 230 lbs per Vandy's official roster. That's like Jawad Williams size. That's not a good matchup for Omier or any other big that is strong (or fat like Burns.)

There is no reason that UNC should ever enter a season without at least one center physically strong enough to defend opposing centers. Even if it's a raw Alex Stepheson type that's more muscle than skill. You gotta have that option or opposing teams can just wear us out in the paint. Heck even a fat guy like freshman Meeks or Thompson can use their girth to push back on those opposing centers.
Omier is 6'7 tops. Lubin is quite strong and proved it over and over vs bigger opponents than him.

That's true.. they can wear us out in the paint, but in those situations we have to take advantage on the offensive end and let their slower center get burnt by our smaller and faster center.. even if that means taking him outside where he's very uncomfortable.

Some questions...

Is Lubin a done deal?

Who are we competing with?

What position(s) would he play for us?

Is he likely to start (and at what position)?

Some questions...

Is Lubin a done deal?

Who are we competing with?

What position(s) would he play for us?

Is he likely to start (and at what position)?
First, I would suggest folks watch AJ's pod cast discussing Lubin, I think it explains a lot of what folks want to know. No, not a done deal, Lubin is just beginning his figuring out where he will go but he played for Stackhouse and Stacks has been looking to lobby for the kid with Hubert so you have to like our chances.

What position, I think he is a 4 that had to play out of position last season at 6'8" but he has a 7ft reach. Some have mentioned that if we get Lubin it would take us out of the Hawkins race, don't know that I agree with that. Even thou Hawkins is 6'10" and Lubin 6'8" I would play Hawkins as a 4 and Lubin the 5. I would start Jalen and Hawkins, Jalen at the 5 (kind of has to be the 5 now that we didn't get a 7ft center), would give us a starting front line of a pair of stretchy 6'10" guys. I could then come back with a pair of 6'8" guys off the bench that have both played the 5 spot for their old teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT