ADVERTISEMENT

100 points on the #1 defense in the country

Not picking on anyone - just funny someone creates a thread to celebrate a crazy accomplishment and the first comment is negative. Enjoy the 100! Second half was shaky mostly because we were way up, but we played incredible offensive basketball. We were way worse in the 2nd half and still scored a bunch of points against a great defence. Our first half was offensive perfection.

Reactions: HeelMac
We're definitely still a work in progress. Withers has to get better. Our defense has to get tougher overall.

But 100 points against that defense is really impressive. I really like this team's potential considering it's only November.
I don't know that Withers is playable. He's in his fourth year of college and for his CAREER averages 3 turnovers per assist, and 3 turnovers per 40 minutes as a low usage guy. That is just a total value killer.

To top it off he shot 42% from 3 last year and he's shot 4 total 3's in 7 games at UNC. I really don't get his usage pattern at all. He's a terrible passer and has very little handle. The guy should be sitting in the corner doing nothing but shooting 3's, PJ Tucker style.

I don't know that Withers is playable. He's in his fourth year of college and for his CAREER averages 3 turnovers per assist, and 3 turnovers per 40 minutes as a low usage guy. That is just a total value killer.

To top it off he shot 42% from 3 last year and he's shot 4 total 3's in 7 games at UNC. I really don't get his usage pattern at all. He's a terrible passer and has very little handle. The guy should be sitting in the corner doing nothing but shooting 3's, PJ Tucker style.
He's actually playing well on defense. But I totally agree he should just sit in the corner unless he's running to the rim for a lob. He shouldn't dribble drive, he shouldn't be feeding the post.

I don't want to see Washington at the 4, but yeah Ryan is a good fifth man. Trimble is shaping up to be one too.
Agreed in general but there’ll be spot minutes for him in twin tower lineups when we face teams with a non-scoring 4. Someone else’s Withers if you will.

Not picking on anyone - just funny someone creates a thread to celebrate a crazy accomplishment and the first comment is negative. Enjoy the 100! Second half was shaky mostly because we were way up, but we played incredible offensive basketball. We were way worse in the 2nd half and still scored a bunch of points against a great defence. Our first half was offensive perfection.
Yeah it is negative. Because there's no reason we have a 24 point lead and almost blow the game. Does that make you satisfied as a fan? Regardless of how good the offense is, bad defense is going to cost us at some point. Tennessee isn't the strongest offensive team we will play..

Can't take your foot off the gas.. did Kentucky last night??

Agreed in general but there’ll be spot minutes for him in twin tower lineups when we face teams with a non-scoring 4. Someone else’s Withers if you will.
Maybe, but a theoretical opponent with a Withers-type should also put him in the corner, which negates Washington's length. And then at that point you might prefer Ryan or Trimble in the lineup. Though you're probably right we can find some minutes for him at the 4.

Yeah it is negative. Because there's no reason we have a 24 point lead and almost blow the game. Does that make you satisfied as a fan? Regardless of how good the offense is, bad defense is going to cost us at some point. Tennessee isn't the strongest offensive team we will play..

Can't take your foot off the gas.. did Kentucky last night??
Yeah, and the defense deserves to be criticized. 92 points was 10 more than Tenn had in any other game this season, including some mid majors. The defense was hilariously bad at times, Tenn must've had 15+ layups. We couldn't stay in front of Knecht at all and in the second half often weren't even getting back/set after made baskets.

It wasn't just "someone going off", the defensive technique + scheme was really poor. Icing the screen led to massive miscommunications and the switching get Knecht/JJJ on guard mismatches over and over. Not sure we should be switching everything with RJ + Cadeau in there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT