ADVERTISEMENT

2 or possibly 3 of the freshman could start next season

No way Ol’Roy doesn’t start Brooks, Bacot and Black. That only leaves the backcourt! Love is a shoo-in! That only leaves another guard......Francis, Davis, Johnson, Platek, Smith or Harris(if available.) My money is on Davis or Harris!

That doesn’t mean it cannot change. Kessler shoots 44% from 3 and Sharpe could outperform Bacot or Black. With our size advantage, it most likely will come down to our opponent’s strengths. I expect to see a lot of different starting line ups, especially early!

Last edited:
I could see Bacot starting over Sharpe. I chose Sharpe cause he's going to be Barnie badass on the boards. Bacot can be dominant on the boards also, but he struggled mightily this season. I wouldn't be surprised with either.

I chose Johnson over Black, because Johnson can come in right away and knock down 3s in my opinion. After this last season I don't know if I trust Black playing a lot of minutes. Black definitely improved over the season, but I like the guy who can fill it up from beyond the arc... over the pure potential guy.

We'll have options next season.

No way Ol’Roy doesn’t start Brooks, Bacot and Black. That only leaves the backcourt! Love is a shoo-in! That only leaves another guard......Francis, Davis, Johnson, Platek, Smith or Harris(if available.) My money is on Davis or Harris!

That doesn’t mean it cannot change. Kessler shoots 44% from 3 and Sharpe could outperform Bacot or Black. With our size advantage, it most likely will come down to our opponent’s strengths. I expect to see a lot of different starting line ups, especially early!
Well if Kessler can manage anything close to 44% in college he won’t sit the bench very much.

Kessler is an outstanding prospect. Seven feet tall with a nice set shot and some passing ability. But he better find a conditioning coach and work like mad if he hopes to play more than twelve minutes per game. In the highlights I watched, Kessler was the last player to find his way back on defense on virtually every possession

I suspect that two freshmen starters is normal for most top 50 teams. I have plenty of time to see what is normal since there is nothing on TV. We had two freshmen starters this year

If pressed to pick a starting line up right now, I would go to Brooks, Bacot , Leaky, Love and RJ. Bacot will have his hands full holding off Sharpe as a starter but a soph over a freshman, you go with experience over a freshman but Sharpe and Kessler get BIG minutes (starter like). I would have taken Ant to start at he 2 but don't think he will be ready and RJ will be.

^ That is my projected lineup for Game 1. Love, Davis, Leaky, Bacot and Brooks.

Bacot could easily be replaced in the lineup if he doesn’t improve and Sharpe and Kessler are as good as I think they will be.

If pressed to pick a starting line up right now, I would go to Brooks, Bacot , Leaky, Love and RJ. Bacot will have his hands full holding off Sharpe as a starter but a soph over a freshman, you go with experience over a freshman but Sharpe and Kessler get BIG minutes (starter like). I would have taken Ant to start at he 2 but don't think he will be ready and RJ will be.
I agree with all of this.

I hope Roy starts his best five and not his loyalty to upperclassmen. Besides Brooks I do not see anyone that is deserving to start on next years team from this past seasons team. Leaky is way to passive and does not have that Alpha gene yet and may never get it. That’s a shame because he is a mismatch nightmare.

I am along these lines of thought myself, although I think Harris will either start or be the 6th man at worst. First non big that is.
Harris is a freaking DAWG!!!
I think Roy will try and match his wings together using a shooter with a non shooter/ playmaker. i.e. Leaky with Davis and Harris with Puff in combinations.

If it's 3... my guess would be Love, Johnson, and Sharpe.

No way Brooks doesn't start. My guess is:

Francis
Love
Johnson
Brooks
Sharpe

Puff, as of right now, is no where near ready to start. He's more of a project.

If I had to bet for our first lineup, I'd say Caleb/RJ/Leaky/Brooks/Bacot.

What happens if the NCAA grants Seniors another year of eligibility and BRob takes advantage? We would have an embarrassment of riches and another experienced potential starter. (don't forget they will have to give more schollies along with it)

Imagine:

Love
BRob
Leaky
Bacot
Brooks

Francis
Ant/RJ (depends on health)
Puff
Kessler
Sharpe

Overwhelming and it leaves a second unit of starter level peeps. We could simply run teams into the ground and never have to sacrifice anything when we sub!

If I had to bet for our first lineup, I'd say Caleb/RJ/Leaky/Brooks/Bacot.

I agree with this. I think Francis could potentially get a starting spot along side either Love or Davis. And I guess we're in wait and see mode with Ant. If he had not gotten hurt I think he was a lock to start at the 2 next year. He was really impressive in the little bit we saw of him. It will be interesting to see how Roy splits up the minutes between these 4 guards.

Other than Love I cannot see one of the fabulous freshman five starting until at the earliest the start of the new year. Coach Williams is very loyal to players who have been in the system and saying that Bacot, Black and Brooks will be starters from day one unless one or more of them get injured in the preseason.

Reactions: ATarheeL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT