ADVERTISEMENT

2016 ACC Schedule to be released today at 3 pm

Looks like we will play state on Friday after Thanksgiving...Also back in Durham on a Thursday night...

Should be interesting on how swofford and the acc try to screw UNC this year. Would like to see another Thursday night game at Kenan. No way Dook should host a Thursday night game. At least they can't give us 5 ACC road games. They would if they could.

Reactions: Archer2
Should be interesting on how swofford and the acc try to screw UNC this year. Would like to see another Thursday night game at Kenan. No way Dook should host a Thursday night game. At least they can't give us 5 ACC road games. They would if they could.
Swofford is the ultimate genius. He simultaneously has non-UNC fans thinking he's pro-UNC and *some* UNC fans thinking he's anti-UNC.

Lol.

No Kenan Thursday night games this year, just one in Wallace Wade.

Definitely think we have a front loaded schedule this year. Pitt, @FSU, VT, @Miami is a tough stretch to start out the ACC slate.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Sept. 3 - Georgia (Georgia Dome in Atlanta)

Sept. 10 - @ Illinois

Sept. 17 - James Madison

Sept. 24 - Pittsburgh

Oct. 1 - @ Florida State

Oct. 8 - Virginia Tech

Oct. 15 - @ Miami

Oct. 22 - @ Virginia

Oct. 29 - Open Date

Nov. 5 - Georgia Tech

Nov. 10 - @ Duke (Thursday night)

Nov. 19 - The Citadel

Nov. 25 - N.C. State (Friday)

Isn't this due to someone backing out - or too late to schedule someone else or something of that nature?

Sad thing is if we replaced that with 0-12 UCF our schedule would all of a sudden get infinitely more difficult in the eyes of the committee
I am not sure but I think I have read on here all of the cancellations are gone. Playing both the Citadel and James Madison just invites criticism of schedule and ridicule if we lose to them.

Thats a crappy home schedule. And someone needs to be drawn and quartered for two 1-AA schools- there has to be somebody we can fill in there in November and if not, we would be better off taking the week off and not drawing attention to ourselves by playing The Citadel.

Sept. 3 - Georgia (Georgia Dome in Atlanta)

Sept. 10 - @ Illinois

Sept. 17 - James Madison

Sept. 24 - Pittsburgh

Oct. 1 - @ Florida State

Oct. 8 - Virginia Tech

Oct. 15 - @ Miami

Oct. 22 - @ Virginia

Oct. 29 - Open Date

Nov. 5 - Georgia Tech

Nov. 10 - @ Duke (Thursday night)

Nov. 19 - The Citadel

Nov. 25 - N.C. State (Friday)

8 straight weeks before a much deserved break, before facing the Yellowjackets!....Followed by a quick turn around Thursday Night affair against the Dookies after a short preparation week....Hopefully, the staff will find a capable replacement for either James Madison or The Citadel, but that's going to be tough to do at this point IMO....It is a definite problem in the eyes of the Committee, and their eyes is all that matters when it comes to choosing which 4 teams are playoff worthy....Also like the idea of a Friday home game against the Wolfpack after Thanksgiving, but wonder if it will be a day or night time game?....Guess it depends on what's riding for the Tar Heels in that final home game?....Overall, very challenging playing 5 or your first 8 games on the road....

True, but we didn't play (basically at) UGA or at FSU last year either.

We are on the same page about Georgia, but many here aren't according to a thread a few weeks back. FSU isn't the invincible team they once were. Favored b4 the game starts? No question. All about QB play and FSU gonna have to show something ....

... So if Trubisky is the guy we saw in small doses last year, we can challenge the top 10 again and those two FCS schools will have the opportunity to screw us again. But, we'll be more in the discussion bc the totality of our sched will be tougher in comparison to this year as you've pointed out. In other words, we need Georgia and FSU on the sched. I'm excited and ready, but have many things to check off my list b4 the season starts so I'll stay patient.

Why are y'all worried about two FCS and the playoff committee? We lose two games minimum with that schedule, minimum.

How many 2 loss teams were in the playoffs last year, or the year before that?

As for worrying about the 2 FCS teams, I could care less as long as we win those games, but the Playoff Selection Committee and ESPN and their SEC mouthpieces constantly mentioned the fact last year that North Carolina didn't deserve a shot at the playoffs even if they had beaten Clemson because they played 2 FCS schools.....Maybe, you didn't hear all that discussion?

Now if there are Tar Heel fans who could care less whether we make the playoffs are not, I would agree that scheduling 2 FCS teams every year really doesn't matter, and is nothing to worry about, but I'm NOT one of those type of Tar Heel fans.... I would like to see Carolina have a shot EVERY season to make the Football Playoffs and scheduling 2 FCS schools makes that more difficult, and former Committee chairman Jeff Long stated such in relating the Committee's sentiments about Carolina's schedule compared to other possible playoff teams?...

Guess I'm more of an optimist than a realist when it comes to Carolina Football, and will always root and support the team regardless of the overall record, but I like many would like to see the upward trend that we seen last year continue, and would love to one day see UNC realize it's potential, and make the Football Playoffs....

If you don't believe that UNC has a shot to make the playoffs in this new modern era of College Football, what's the use in even following the sport, unless you're satisfied with going to Bowl games every year, instead of the Playoffs?

#Playoffs > Bowls!

That's my two cents!

None. That was my point.

And as for supporting the team, of course I'm optimistic we have a chance at an 11-1 record if we beat UGA. I'm just saying that the realistic side of me says we won't. Doesn't mean I won't be at 4-5 home games and at least 1 away game.

We are on the same page about Georgia, but many here aren't according to a thread a few weeks back. FSU isn't the invincible team they once were. Favored b4 the game starts? No question. All about QB play and FSU gonna have to show something ....

... So if Trubisky is the guy we saw in small doses last year, we can challenge the top 10 again and those two FCS schools will have the opportunity to screw us again. But, we'll be more in the discussion bc the totality of our sched will be tougher in comparison to this year as you've pointed out. In other words, we need Georgia and FSU on the sched. I'm excited and ready, but have many things to check off my list b4 the season starts so I'll stay patient.
One FSU player will be the difference-maker: Dalvin Cook. Him, Chubb, and Michel will put up 375 rushing yards on us combined in those two games.

Reactions: Elijah.Lumbee

As for worrying about the 2 FCS teams, I could care less as long as we win those games, but the Playoff Selection Committee and ESPN and their SEC mouthpieces constantly mentioned the fact last year that North Carolina didn't deserve a shot at the playoffs even if they had beaten Clemson because they played 2 FCS schools.....Maybe, you didn't hear all that discussion?

Now if there are Tar Heel fans who could care less whether we make the playoffs are not, I would agree that scheduling 2 FCS teams every year really doesn't matter, and is nothing to worry about, but I'm NOT one of those type of Tar Heel fans.... I would like to see Carolina have a shot EVERY season to make the Football Playoffs and scheduling 2 FCS schools makes that more difficult, and former Committee chairman Jeff Long stated such in relating the Committee's sentiments about Carolina's schedule compared to other possible playoff teams?...

Guess I'm more of an optimist than a realist when it comes to Carolina Football, and will always root and support the team regardless of the overall record, but I like many would like to see the upward trend that we seen last year continue, and would love to one day see UNC realize it's potential, and make the Football Playoffs....

If you don't believe that UNC has a shot to make the playoffs in this new modern era of College Football, what's the use in even following the sport, unless you're satisfied with going to Bowl games every year, instead of the Playoffs?

#Playoffs > Bowls!

That's my two cents!
The first thing in scheduling 2 FCS teams is it just doesn't get fans excited and it will hurt attendance.

One FSU player will be the difference-maker: Dalvin Cook. Him, Chubb, and Michel will put up 375 rushing yards on us combined in those two games.

Believe me, I hear ya, but I like my chances against one facet than two. FSU doesn't run the same offense as Baylor thank goodness. Still having nightmares!

None. That was my point.

And as for supporting the team, of course I'm optimistic we have a chance at an 11-1 record if we beat UGA. I'm just saying that the realistic side of me says we won't. Doesn't mean I won't be at 4-5 home games and at least 1 away game.

I understand.....The optimist in me says that our DL and LBers are going to improve by leaps and bounds like our secondary did last year, but the Realist in me says that unless my optimistic views are close we are going to have a very tough time containing Dalvin Cook at FSU or Nic Chubb and Sony Michel of Georgia in their backyard in the "ATL"....Not to mention, the road trips to Miami and UVA who both will have an all new look and attitude when face them on the road this year...This is a much more diffficult upcoming schedule this year for sure!

I guess my point is that the deck always seems stacked against the ACC in that our Playoff representative has basically got to be UNBEATEN to even be considered for a playoff spot...Fortunately, that has been the case the last 2 years with FSU and Clemson but as you know that's awfully tough to do nowadays, expecially when you consider that NO team finished Unbeaten last year as 1-loss Bama took the crown...

Honestly, it's hard to complain about last season's 11-3 overall record, considering where this team was only a year before that, but I guess it has me wanting and expecting better results in the future....Again, it's that pesky optimism that get's me to expecting more...Guess I won't be satisfied until Carolina finally makes the playoffs for the first time...

Funny how our team's success only breeds more desire in some of us fans!

guess we could say that we're all hooked on College Football!

Attendance really needs to improve. It makes a difference to players, coaches, media, and recruits. People can't complain about the program not being taken seriously when no one shows up to games.

I can somewhat understand not being able to make the bowl game because it was an expensive trip for some people right after Christmas and Clemson fans bought up a lot of the ACCCG tickets before UNC won the Coastal. However, I've noticed some fans complaining about ticket prices for the season opener against UGA. It isn't until September - we need to support the team and show up for that game. Atlanta is a fun town. There are much worse things to spend your money on. And I can't think of any excuse for fans not getting out to Kenan at least a couple times a year.

The odds are pretty good that FSU will not be starting Maguire next year. After playing the Peach Bowl with a broken ankle, he had surgery and will be missing spring practice.

There are two dual threat quarterbacks to watch at spring...Deondre Francois (Rivals #1 2015 Dual Threat), who was red shirting last year and incoming Malik Henry (#1 2016 Dual Threat QB). Malik Henry was an early enrollee this month and will be battling with Deondre Francois in April.

Attendance is gonna suck regardless.
Attendance will suck less with more exciting opponents. I am hoping for better attendance this year and a bowl win might would have helped , But we will see and I agree it is a good chance I will be disappointed.

I'm not at all scared of the UGa game and in fact, we might be favored. They'll be breaking in a new coach and who knows what kind of recovery Chubb will make. Plus, their front 7 will be all new guys. And if they have to ride the arm of a UVa throw-away, Lambert again, I like our chances.

I'm not at all scared of the UGa game and in fact, we might be favored. They'll be breaking in a new coach and who knows what kind of recovery Chubb will make. Plus, their front 7 will be all new guys. And if they have to ride the arm of a UVa throw-away, Lambert again, I like our chances.
I'd be surprised if Jacob Eason (5* QB from this year's class) doesn't start from day one.

I'd be surprised if Jacob Eason (5* QB from this year's class) doesn't start from day one.

Yeah, I would be shocked as well....I also expect the Bulldogs Defense to be improved with the hiring of Smart, and they do recruit very well in their home state, which means experience may be a problem for them in their opener with the Tar Heels, but talent won't be....

A win over the Bulldogs would definitely help the team from a National perspective, and could give the team a lot of confidence and momentum heading to Tallahassee a few games later?

I would be very satisfied with a 10-2 overall record in 2016 if that meant those losses came early in the season, and the team returned to the ACC Championship game as defending Coastal Champs...It would be great to see Carolina take that next step to respectability this year by beating either, or both Georgia and FSU away from Chapel Hill....Wouldn't hurt 2017 recruiting any either for that to happen...

Yeah, I would be shocked as well....I also expect the Bulldogs Defense to be improved with the hiring of Smart, and they do recruit very well in their home state, which means experience may be a problem for them in their opener with the Tar Heels, but talent won't be....

A win over the Bulldogs would definitely help the team from a National perspective, and could give the team a lot of confidence and momentum heading to Tallahassee a few games later?

I would be very satisfied with a 10-2 overall record in 2016 if that meant those losses came early in the season, and the team returned to the ACC Championship game as defending Coastal Champs...It would be great to see Carolina take that next step to respectability this year by beating either, or both Georgia and FSU away from Chapel Hill....Wouldn't hurt 2017 recruiting any either for that to happen...
I would be over the moon if we finished 10-2. For the caliber of program we are currently, this schedule is TOUGH. Would not be shocked at all to see us slide back to 8-4 or so.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT