ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Atlanta Braves thread

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
Because I haven't dealt enough with all my crappy teams lately.

Epic fail yesterday by Pierzinski bobbling the (admittedly, not very good) throw from Inciarte. Also, good work Grilli on walking the leadoff man in the 9th, the fatal sin.

This season is going to suck. There's no presents. There's no cake. There's no ice cream. Happy Birthday.

@coolwaterunc you wanna get in on this?

GO BRAVES . . . !
tpm15F.gif

Yawn.

Wake me up when NC fields a team. I'll never unite with Falcons fans, in any sport.

Crappy roster aside, I am excited to see some of the young guys come up this year. I'm still going to watch the majority of the games since baseball is my favorite sport as a whole, so we'll just have to see how these guys play out.

With Mallex Smith on his way up, I think putting Olivera in left field is a mistake. If Olivera is going to be a part of this team for as long as the Braves planned him to be when they traded for him, he needs to be at 3B. I know he hasn't impressed there, but he needs to learn to make it work. It's not like Adonis Garcia is a defensive wiz or anything. Unless they plan on trading Inciarte, which I don't want them to do (I love speed), then having Olivera in left field is a waste of time.

Hang on, do Carolina peeps follow the Braves as their Baseball team?
Depends on where they're from. But a decent chunk of them do, yes, because for a long, long, long time, the Braves were the only MLB team in the South (southeastern U.S.).

Similarly, a lot of native North Carolinians (who are older than 30) pull for either the Redskins or the Cowboys because those were the two teams who were shown on TV in North Carolina back in the day (the Panthers didn't exist until the mid 90s)

Reactions: BlueKicks
Hang on, do Carolina peeps follow the Braves as their Baseball team?

Not me. I think a lot of NC people follow them because that is the closet MLB team to the state. For some weird reason NC doesn't have a MLB team. There is plenty of baseball support in the state. You can't go 5 miles without running into a minor league team.

Depends on where they're from. But a decent chunk of them do, yes, because for a long, long, long time, the Braves were the only MLB team in the South (southeastern U.S.).

Similarly, a lot of native North Carolinians (who are older than 30) pull for either the Redskins or the Cowboys because those were the two teams who were shown on TV in North Carolina back in the day (the Panthers didn't exist until the mid 90s)

Nice, consider me schooled. I'm surprised that Carolina doesn't have its own team by now.

Never managed to catch the Baseball bug, but cool to know.

Not to hijack the thread, but are the majority of you guys all Panthers, Hornets, Hurricanes fans too?

Or those of you who aren't from Carolina directly, I should say.

Not to hijack the thread, but are the majority of you guys all Panthers, Hornets, Hurricanes fans too?

For me at least, all of those are correct. Well, except the Hurricanes anyway. If I was somehow forced to give a crap about hockey, then I would choose the Hurricanes, so in that instance, you are correct.

I think the majority on this board are probably fans of those teams, because I think the majority (or at least a good portion) reside in NC. I just lived in NC while I attended UNC so I'm a fan of the Boston area teams (Patriots, Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox - in that order currently) Couldn't give two poops about the Revolution (MLS team) but if I had to pick an MLS team it'd be them I guess.

The Red Sox are essentially just as crappy as the Braves but manage to accomplish that feat with 2.5x the payroll (roughly 200M per year compared to 80M per year). Impressive.

Not me. Although I'm slowly warming up to the Panthers.

I don't like the NBA so I don't give a crap. But the Hornets are cool I guess. Ditto for hockey, except I care even less about hockey than the NBA. For the NFL, I'm actually a Bucs fan but only because my parents were living in Tampa at the time of my birth.

If you don't like the Braves though, you're un-American

I think the majority on this board are probably fans of those teams, because I think the majority (or at least a good portion) reside in NC. I'm from Boston and just lived in NC while I attended UNC so I'm a fan of the Boston area teams (Patriots, Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox - in that order currently) Couldn't give two poops about the Revolution (MLS team) but if I had to pick an MLS team it'd be them I guess.

The Red Sox are essentially just as crappy as the Braves but manage to accomplish that feat with 2.5x the payroll (roughly 200M per year compared to 80M per year). Impressive.
The Braves have actually managed to get their payroll up like ~110M, so.....

If I do get into some of the other sports, I'll probably just follow the Carolina teams.

Have been liking the Hornets a lot lately though, really fun team at the moment - plus the MJ connection, location and Hansbrough/Marvin make it pretty easy for me to dig em.

Go Braves though, I guess. American as shit right now.

If I do get into some of the other sports, I'll probably just follow the Carolina teams.

Have been liking the Hornets a lot lately though, really fun team at the moment - plus the MJ connection, location and Hansbrough/Marvin make it pretty easy for me to dig em.

Go Braves though, I guess. American as shit right now.
Don't waste your time trying to get into baseball. I don't know why any Brit would. I love it because I'm American, that's the only reason. It would be like me trying to get into cricket....it just isn't going to happen.

Also, are you not an NFL guy? I was surprised just how many English folks like/watch the NFL when I was last over there a couple years ago. I mean, I can definitely see the appeal, given soccer's..... "lack of toughness" at times with the flopping and what not. American football must seem like gladiator shit compared to soccer. And this is coming from someone who loves soccer to an unhealthy level.

I know. But what's your excuse? o_O

Actually the Braves have always been my 2nd favorite team. All their games were on TBS when I was a kid - so I watched those games when the Red Sox had an off day, or were playing out west and first pitch was after my bed time. Plus I absolutely loved watching Bobby Cox getting tossed. Those teams with Glavine, Smoltz, and Maddux along with a young Chipper and Andruw Jones were awesome to watch.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Actually the Braves have always been my 2nd favorite team. All their games were on TBS when I was a kid - so I watched those games when the Red Sox had an off day, or were playing out west and first pitch was after my bed time. Plus I absolutely loved watching Bobby Cox getting tossed. Those teams with Glavine, Smoltz, and Maddux along with a young Chipper and Andruw Jones were awesome to watch.
You're back on my cool list.

And yes, Bobby Cox getting tossed was most excellent.

is fredi gonzalez signed only through this year or did he get a multi-year extension to steal more money from the org?

There really aren't that many NBA fans- too many of us grew up on college basketball.

As far as hockey, there are tons of carpetbaggers in Raleigh. The old joke around here is that the town of Cary, which not too long ago was a sleepy little southern town, now stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. And those are the people who go to hockey games- the rest of us couldn't care less about the Hurricanes.

Football- yes, Panthers fans, as long as they are winning. If not, then football is just a placeholder until ACC basketball starts again. (Assuming Tar Heel football season is over)

Baseball- the vast majority are Braves fans, mainly (IMO) because TBS used to own the Braves back in the day and they broadcast every single game (back before all games for all teams in every sport was on TV).

I myself follow the Tar Heels in all sports before any pro team anywhere.

How old are you? And when are you going to do the AMA thread?

Don't waste your time trying to get into baseball. I don't know why any Brit would. I love it because I'm American, that's the only reason. It would be like me trying to get into cricket....it just isn't going to happen.

Also, are you not an NFL guy? I was surprised just how many English folks like/watch the NFL when I was last over there a couple years ago. I mean, I can definitely see the appeal, given soccer's..... "lack of toughness" at times with the flopping and what not. American football must seem like gladiator shit compared to soccer. And this is coming from someone who loves soccer to an unhealthy level.

I like Football, looking forward to the new NFL season, but still predominantly a Basketball guy.

If I had an NFL team, I'd probably be bigger into it. I'll probably lend my loose support to the Panthers in the upcoming season, just cause...

It's getting bigger all the time here though, yeah. Our 'gladiator sport' is Rugby, which isn't very popular at all in the overall scheme of things (as in, it's not a draw on TV).

The Wembley games have pushed it on a lot I think. I really hope they don't make a London franchise though - even as a British 'fan', I don't want that.

There really aren't that many NBA fans- too many of us grew up on college basketball.

As far as hockey, there are tons of carpetbaggers in Raleigh. The old joke around here is that the town of Cary, which not too long ago was a sleepy little southern town, now stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. And those are the people who go to hockey games- the rest of us couldn't care less about the Hurricanes.

Football- yes, Panthers fans, as long as they are winning. If not, then football is just a placeholder until ACC basketball starts again. (Assuming Tar Heel football season is over)

Baseball- the vast majority are Braves fans, mainly (IMO) because TBS used to own the Braves back in the day and they broadcast every single game (back before all games for all teams in every sport was on TV).

I myself follow the Tar Heels in all sports before any pro team anywhere.

How old are you? And when are you going to do the AMA thread?

Nice, interesting. I'd have to agree that Tar Heels sports go first, then the others are entertainment in between the gaps.

I'll be 22 in a few weeks. As for the AMA thread, someone told me to wait until the tournament was over, though I just remembered that now.

Last edited:
So I know the Braves need SOMEbody to market, but I'm still of the opinion that Freddie Freeman absolutely should've been dealt when we sold everyone else.

We're building a team around him and I think it's a huge mistake. He's good. Just good. Not great, not outstanding, just good. Despite what the numbers say, he's not a clutch hitter. Tonight for instance, I saw him pop out and strikeout with runners on base, when the game was in contention.

He doesn't have elite power either. Decent first basemen are a dime a dozen. I don't understand why people think he's so good and worthy of retaining.

My family moved around a lot when I was young, but from the ages of 6 to 16 I lived in Kentucky. I grew up watching the Cincinnati Bengals in pro football, the Cincinnati Reds in baseball, and University of Kentucky basketball. ** ducks **

Moved to North Carolina in high school and went to college at UNC. The Charlotte Hornets were founded the year I moved to NC so it was easy to root for them. Panthers started up after I graduated college so that was easy, too. The amazing part was how easily I became a Tar Heel fan after growing up with UK hoops. I know the exact moment it happened, but that's a story for another day.

Didn't Atlanta start unloading contracts a few years ago presumably to follow the Astros model and open the new stadium with a bang next year???

Looks like they are right on track... :cool:

Fire Fredi
I watched until the 7th inning. Then I heard Fredi apologized for something? What bone headed decision did he make this time?

Also, speaking of Fred(d)i(e)'s, Freeman is having an awful start to the year. I know the Braves have to market someone, but I still think Freeman shouldve been dealt. And Wood never shouldve been let go. I've been on board with every move they've made except that Olivera move. He's going to bust and Wood was exactly what you want for the future -- a young, solid starting pitcher who you controlled for multiple seasons.

I watched until the 7th inning. Then I heard Fredi apologized for something? What bone headed decision did he make this time?

Also, speaking of Fred(d)i(e)'s, Freeman is having an awful start to the year. I know the Braves have to market someone, but I still think Freeman shouldve been dealt. And Wood never shouldve been let go. I've been on board with every move they've made except that Olivera move. He's going to bust and Wood was exactly what you want for the future -- a young, solid starting pitcher who you controlled for multiple seasons.
That's about when I stopped watching too. My biggest beef was pulling Chacin out to have Jace Peterson, of all people, pinch hit. Chacin was having the game of his life, and you pull him for useless Jace Peterson. Even if he did come through and get a hit, is putting in the worst bullpen in the majors worth taking Chacin out after the 6th? Does Fredi really believe the bullpen is even remotely capable of holding a one-run lead? After that, I heard (only heard, didn't watch) Fredi once again played the wrong matchups with the bullpen, and we lost. I think he pulled Vizcaino in favor of a washed up Eric O'Flaherty to face Brice Harper or something. It just seems Fredi always presses the wrong buttons each and every game. The dude needs to go. I don't know what it is, but it just seems the players have been uninspired since Fredi took over. Is that just me, or does that have merit?

Agreed on trading Freddie. Don't get me wrong, the guy's good, but he is not a franchise cornerstone type of guy. He's off to a slow start, but in fairness, if you have Adonis Garcia hitting cleanup behind you, you're probably not going to get much of anything to hit.

Olivera sucks. I don't know what the scouts saw in him, but someone needs to be fired over that deal. He doesn't even have a position to play. He sucked so bad at 3B that they had to move to him LF and he sucks there too. It's just that his suckiness isn't noticed as much in LF as it would be at 3B. That's how much he sucks. Not to mention he's clueless with a bat in his hand. I liked Wood, but it seems like he was on his way down a bit. His fastball velocity was steadily declining and he was losing break on his slider. He wasn't very good after he was traded. Not sure how he's doing this year.

Shortstop and second base is a black hole. Aybar is out of shape and can't field routine grounders. Can't wait for Swanson and Albies. They are needed badly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT