ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Schedule

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
Y'all that aren't season ticket holders may want to consider it for next year. THIS is a big boy schedule, both home and away:

Please note: I'm making up the order of the schedule, just based on my best guess. However, any dates I list in bold are set-in-stone dates. All venue information is accurate -- i.e. all home games listed below really are home games and all away games really are away games.

9/2/17: California -- Kenan Stadium

9/9/17: at Georgia Tech -- Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field (Atlanta, Ga.)

9/16/17:
at Old Dominion -- Foreman Field (Norfolk, Va.)

9/23/17: Miami -- Kenan Stadium

9/30/17: Duke -- Kenan Stadium

10/7/17: Notre Dame -- Kenan Stadium

10/21/17: Louisville -- Kenan Stadium

10/28/17: at Pittsburgh -- Heinz Field (Pittsburgh, Pa.)

11/4/17: at Virginia Tech -- Lane Stadium (Blacksburg, Va.)

11/11/17: Virginia -- Kenan Stadium

11/18/17: Western Carolina -- Kenan Stadium

11/25/17: at NC State -- Carter-Finley Stadium (Raleigh, NC)

Reactions: Raising Heel
Old dominion transitioned to FBS two or three yrs ago, so Western will be the only FCS. So that's cool.

The schedule is a bit deceptive. Cal will probably be middle-o-pac12, Louisville is under-rated (many consider them top-25 this yr), and who knows about Miami. Regardless - all those plus notre at home is fun.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Old dominion transitioned to FBS two or three yrs ago, so Western will be the only FCS. So that's cool.

The schedule is a bit deceptive. Cal will probably be middle-o-pac12, Louisville is under-rated (many consider them top-25 this yr), and who knows about Miami. Regardless - all those plus notre at home is fun.
It's not deceptive at all if you know college football.

Here are the home games: Cal, Miami, Duke, Notre Dame, Louisville, Virginia, Western Carolina

Of those seven, Miami, Notre Dame, and Louisville are all but guaranteed to be in the Top 25, and any of the three (or all three) could easily be Top 15 when they come to town. Cal could easily be in the Top 25 as well, and who knows what Mendenhall will do with Virginia by then. Duke won't be good, and Western will be our tuneup for State. Then of the road games, it's unclear what GT will be like by then (probably not great cuz of PJ, but it's in Atlanta our house of horrors). At Pitt, at VT, and at Moo are all unknowns -- any of those three COULD be Top 25 if their new coaches get them anywhere.

Objectively, it's a B schedule in difficulty. Based within the context of UNC's mediocre football history, it's an A+ difficult schedule. Hell, Notre Dame could be #4 or something when they come to Kenan. That's not unrealistic at all. When was the last time a Top 5 team came to Kenan...? Miami in '04?

I don't think Cal will be all that good. I think they have potential to be good, which is partly why the it is deceptive or sneaky. Cal hasn't been recruiting hasn't been that phenomenal and Jared Goff was the primary reason they were good.

Miami and LVille are deceptive too because they've flirted with pre-season top25 lists recently but have been inconsistent the last decade. I think many people probably shrug regarding whether or not they are viewed as a perennial tough teams.

I don't think Cal will be all that good. I think they have potential to be good, which is partly why the it is deceptive or sneaky. Cal hasn't been recruiting hasn't been that phenomenal and Jared Goff was the primary reason they were good.

Miami and LVille are deceptive too because they've flirted with pre-season top25 lists recently but have been inconsistent the last decade. I think many people probably shrug regarding whether or not they are viewed as a perennial tough teams.
People do not shrug off Miami on their schedule. Unless by "people" you mean Alabama. That's the only fanbase that could realistically see Miami on their schedule and not underline it as a big game.

I'm not trying to call you out @blazers. It's just that there's no pleasing the UNC fanbase when it comes to football opponents. I don't know why I bother though. The games will be half empty regardless of opponent.

That schedule is good - and glad we finally get out from under the "2 FCS" shadow. If we won the ACCCG with that schedule we'd be in the playoff assuming we didn't lose to both ND and Cal ( figuring we would only have at most 1 division loss to get to the CG).

Yes... wishful thinking.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I'm not trying to call you out @blazers. It's just that there's no pleasing the UNC fanbase when it comes to football opponents. I don't know why I bother though. The games will be half empty regardless of opponent.

Yeah, like the difficulty seeing us beat an SEC opponent on opening day, it is kinda hard to fathom kenan having fully packed stands.

If we beat UGA and illinois, I bet we see lots of fannies in the seats for the early home gms vs Pitt and VaTech. James Madison.... not sure.

I see your optimism is peaking today. So you already see fan apathy in 2017?

Looks like a lot of great games in Kenan as it should be. No one knows who will be good or not but there's a good chance for 4 ranked teams to be played at home.

Imo, that's a good thing.

Dude. Look again at that schedule. Do you want to schedule Alabama three times? We could easily lose 3 games on that schedule. Easily.

That's the best schedule we've had in 15 years.
I'd love to schedule Bama 1 time. In all seriousness we could schedule teams like Vandy , UK , Minnesota , Maryland , Tennessee(if they don't chicken out) Miss. State , Purdue , Missouri. In the old days we played Mich , Mich St and Oh St. We shouldn't play FCS teams or teams FCS removed for 5 years or less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT