ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Win/Loss Prediction Thread

Schedule for easy quoting/copypasta. Not in order except for the first three games.

at Cal
at East Carolina
vs UCF
vs Western Carolina
vs Georgia Tech
vs Pittsburgh
vs Virginia Tech
vs NC State
at Duke
at Miami
at Syracuse
at Virginia

at Cal - W but not confident
at East Carolina - Win
vs UCF - Win - they lose too much
vs Western Carolina -Win
vs Georgia Tech - Loss
vs Pittsburgh - Win
vs Virginia Tech - Win - we owe them
vs NC State - Win - State loses a lot
at Duke - Win
at Miami - Loss
at Syracuse - Win
at Virginia - Win[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing 8-4. I guess we lose to Miami, VA Tech and UVA. I think they have the ability to win the rest of the games, but will have a bad loss in there.

I think somewhere around 8-4 seems likely. The big question is likely going to be QB play. If somebody steps up under center then that will raise the ceiling significantly.

Now for my usual foolishly optimistic prediction for 2018...

@ Cal - W
@ECU - W
UCF - W
Pitt - W
@Miami - L
Va Tech - W (revenge)
@ Syracuse - W
@ UVA - W
Georgia Tech - W
@ Duke - W
WCU - W
NCeST - W

11-1 coastal champs.

In all seriousness, we probably lose to Va Tech, and could easily lose to GT, State, or Pitt. Knowing Fed we probably lose to Cal or UCF.

We desperately need Fedora to turn around the mojo with season openers. A 3-0 start before league play would be huge, and is very much attainable.

9/1 at Cal
9/8 at ECU
9/15 vs. Central Florida
9/22 vs. Pitt
9/27 at Miami (Thurs.)
10/06 BYE
10/13 vs. Virginia Tech
10/20 at Syracuse
10/27 at Virginia
11/3 vs. Georgia Tech
11/10 at Duke
11/17 Western Carolina
11/24 NC State

I love the early BYE. OG and LBs will be young, QB could be young.

VT has Dook the week prior, while we have a BYE. I like that.

Cuse has a bye prior to our meeting with them when we play VT.

Another season with losses to Duke and / or NC State would be very disappointing.

Our OL can't be any worse. Extremely simply MLB blitz up the gut would get whiffed, and 4-man pressures easily got past our 5.

But QB could still be bad. I think this is pretty key.

D will probably a problem AGAIN this yr, since Cole is really the only experienced LB and Jonathan Smith is often in the wrong spot and isn't very speedy.

I think i'm going to say 7 wins.

My heart says 8-4, my head says 5-7. Will know more after a couple of games but for now the questions around QB, O line and LBs are too much.

UCF opens the season in the top 25 predicting a win there is going to be hard...
As long as that QB is around their O will be good. They lost some big receivers, and lots of pretty good defenders. That one comes down to whether or not our O can put up 20+ points.

9/1 at Cal
9/8 at ECU
9/15 vs. Central Florida
9/22 vs. Pitt
9/27 at Miami (Thurs.)
10/06 BYE
10/13 vs. Virginia Tech
10/20 at Syracuse
10/27 at Virginia
11/3 vs. Georgia Tech
11/10 at Duke
11/17 Western Carolina
11/24 NC State

I love the early BYE. OG and LBs will be young, QB could be young.

VT has Dook the week prior, while we have a BYE. I like that.

Cuse has a bye prior to our meeting with them when we play VT.

Here's my take:

Cal-It's hard to pick this as a win when we couldn't beat them this year at home with a first-year Head Coach, so I expect the same result as last year on the left coast, and the season could potentially begin with a thud which I hope won't be the case?

ECU-If we can't beat the pirates next year, another 3-9 season or worse might be on the way...

UCF-It's true that the Knights lost their Head Coach and some quality players from last year, but they still may have enough to beat the Tar Heels with all those Florida atheletes...We shall see?

Pitt-We just seem to have the Panthers number since they joined the ACC, and I think that continues next year...

Miami-We played the Canes tough last year, but they will be much tougher next year as their recruiting has gotten a whole lot better since Mark Richt came back home, and they will likely be more hungry, and experienced next season...

Va Tech-The Hokies did lose a lot this year, but they also put a beatdown on the TarHeels last year in Blacksburg, so I'm not too confident in that changing this coming year..Although, the game may be a lot closer than last season or at least I hope so....

Syracuse-The Orange are on the rise, and they return their QB Eric Dungy, so that game will be tough to win on the road in the dome...

UVA-Had one of their best seasons in a while, and they do seem to be getting better with the exception of the blowout loss to Navy in their bowl game...We match up well with the Cavs, so this game is very winnable...

Ga.Tech-The Yellowjackets will have a new DC, and will likely be improved over last season, so who knows, but the Tar Heels need to win this game?

Duke-Hopefully, we can beat the Bluedevils, but I'm not counting on it...

WCU-Yeah, we'll beat the Catamounts again this year!

NCST-The return of Findley is a big boost for the Wolfpack, and is not good for the Tar Heels..

It is a favorable schedule in that we have several games at home that we can win if we play up to our capabilities, and can stay healthy, but that's asking a lot after what happened this past year....

All-in-All, I think that the team will be in for another 3-9 or 4-8 campaign next year, so I'm not very optimistic....

at Cal L
at East Carolina W
vs UCF W
vs Western Carolina W
vs Georgia Tech L
vs Pittsburgh W
vs Virginia Tech L
vs NC State W
at Duke W
at Miami L
at Syracuse W
at Virginia L

6-6.

Wins against ECU, W. Carolina, Virginia, Syracuse, Pitt and Dook.

Losses against, Cal, UCF, GT, VT, Miami and MooU.

We go to a low level bowl game and win it to finish the season 7-6.

9/1 at Cal- L
9/8 at ECU- W
9/15 vs. Central Florida- L
9/22 vs. Pitt- L
9/27 at Miami (Thurs.)- L
10/06 BYE
10/13 vs. Virginia Tech- L
10/20 at Syracuse- W
10/27 at Virginia- L
11/3 vs. Georgia Tech- L
11/10 at Duke- W
11/17 Western Carolina- W
11/24 NC State- L

Reactions: Archer2
I no longer try to predict any win / loss record for UNC football. In the end, the best bet is we will be disappointed. If the Heels stay healthy, hopefully they can compete better in 2018.

Reactions: UNC1971Stick
Damn people predicting a Loss to UVA are REALLY down on the program right now. Not saying I don't understand, but barring another catastrophic injury situation we should bounce back to at least 6 or 7 wins. The first four games are key, I could see anything from 1-3 to 4-0. If we can building momentum early the back end of the schedule sets up for a strong finish, but if we go out and get beat by Cal then come home and get smashed by UCF, things could spiral quickly.

I will say 7-5 (4-4) with wins over Cal, ECU, Pitt, Cuse, UVA, Dook, State.

9/1 at Cal- L
9/8 at ECU- W
9/15 vs. Central Florida- L
9/22 vs. Pitt- L
9/27 at Miami (Thurs.)- L
10/06 BYE
10/13 vs. Virginia Tech- L
10/20 at Syracuse- W
10/27 at Virginia- L
11/3 vs. Georgia Tech- L
11/10 at Duke- W
11/17 Western Carolina- W
11/24 NC State- L
I’m afraid this is about right. Sigh.

Damn people predicting a Loss to UVA are REALLY down on the program right now. Not saying I don't understand, but barring another catastrophic injury situation we should bounce back to at least 6 or 7 wins. The first four games are key, I could see anything from 1-3 to 4-0. If we can building momentum early the back end of the schedule sets up for a strong finish, but if we go out and get beat by Cal then come home and get smashed by UCF, things could spiral quickly.

I will say 7-5 (4-4) with wins over Cal, ECU, Pitt, Cuse, UVA, Dook, State.
I think you show why there are people expecting us to lose to UVA. If we lose to Cal again, and then lose in Kenan to UCF with its new staff, we could spiral. Surely 3-9 is not possible, but 5-7 is definitely on the table.

If we have another miracle year with almost 0 injuries and open with a big road win, we could be 8-4.

Yes woad, those first 2 games are key - I think especially the first one. If we go 0-2 to start the season I think 3-9 is on the table. But if we go 2-0 I think our ceiling is higher than 8-4.

3-9 with wins over ECU, WCU and Syracuse. Record set for most 15 yard penalties in a season by game #8. Fedora plans to look at the tape.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT