ADVERTISEMENT

2020 vs 2010

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
If you merged those 2 teams, who would start, who would be first off the bench? Keep in mind that 2010 also had major injuries to deal with - notably to Zeller and Davis, who hardly played together during conference play (Zeller missed 10 games in the middle of the season, Davis was out for the last 13 games). Plus fan favorite Marcus Ginyard was never quite the same after his injury.

2010 Team (NIT Runner-up) (number is TS% from Pomeroy)

SR Deon Thompson 52.4
SR Marcus Ginyard 49.4
JR Will Graves 51.4
SO Ed Davis 60.7
SO Tyler Zeller 55.7
SO Larry Drew 50.3
FR John Henson 49.1
FR Dexter Strickland 51.0
FR Leslie McDonald 38.1
FR Travis Wear 46.8
FR David Wear 50.2

2020 Team, so far (main contributors)

SR Brandon Robinson 51.2
SR Christian Keeling 40.4
SR Justin Pierce 47.5
JR Garrison Brooks 57.1
JR Andrew Platek 46.5
JR KJ Smith 34.4
SO Leaky Black 39.8
FR Cole Anthony 48.1
FR Armando Bacot 48.4
FR Jeremiah Francis 40.3
FR Anthony Harris 65.9

Ed Davis
Garrison Brooks
I can't decide on a 3...
Cole Anthony
Larry Drew

Bench
Deon Thompson
Tyler Zeller
Jeremiah Francis
Anthony Harris
Brandon Robinson

I'm thinking Will Graves could be a big help on this team. As a junior he showed great energy and shot 37% from deep. A beefy 6'6 guy who wasn't easy to push around.

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
I think Deon would be a boon to this team, as well. So, OK, Davis and Zeller might have more talent, but Deon was solid and not injured. With him, Garrison and Armando, Armando could come along more gently, and the need to go small would diminish.

I'd start Garrison and Deon, and bring Armando off the bench. He'd get a lot of minutes, but Roy could hide his weaknesses better.

Plus that would give us another multi-year starter with a thorough knowledge of Roy's system.

The only two right now who would get a look to start are Brooks and Cole.

Cole
Ginyard
Deon
Henson
Zeller
Size scoring rim protection rebounding D and heart! That team would be hard to defend and hard to score on. Bench: Brooks, Graves, BRob, DeX, Francis, Ant, Davis, Bacot and LMac. 15 deep and I would trust them all!. 15 players that all can play!

2010 would be the crap out of this 2020 team. Yikes. Dex would have 30 a game just going to the basket.

When he catches a pass he almost double clutches the catch and that takes time away from going up with his shot which give the defense more time to prepare. Zeller was probably the fastest big getting the ball to the basket. It was pretty awesome to watch. I miss that.

Thou some of the positions would be closer battles, IMO Cole is the only 1 that would start from the current team, if we are talking Henson as a 4 and not a 3 he would start over Brooks IMO.

I would start Henson, Davis, Cole, Ginyard, and Will Graves. My second team would be Zeller, Deon, Leaky (at the 3), BRob, and Dexter. I would as well get solid PT from the Wear kids. Jeremiah and Ant, I would maybe have to red shirt considering the available talent I have on hand in this scenario. I suspect if you asked me this question 5yrs from now I would say leaky would start ahead of Will.

When he catches a pass he almost double clutches the catch and that takes time away from going up with his shot which give the defense more time to prepare. Zeller was probably the fastest big getting the ball to the basket. It was pretty awesome to watch. I miss that.
This isn't a senior zeller tho.

Reactions: ajklum
No way I would keep the Wears and rs Ant or Francis. I much prefer a player with some heart and neither showed any. I wouldn't argue with any of your other choices though!

No way I would keep the Wears and rs Ant or Francis. I much prefer a player with some heart and neither showed any. I wouldn't argue with any of your other choices though!
I thought the Wears were OK.

Good fundamentals.

I have always suspected that if the atmosphere/chemistry had been better, they would have stayed and turned out to be pretty solid players for us. They ended up being good at UCLA. Good shooters, adequate rebounders. Then again, they had an extra year to develop because of transferring, and they may have needed that extra time.

One of them was only here because of his brother. They had good size and skills but they way they left was weak at best and speaks to heart/character IMO. They definitely needed extra time to develop.

Oh I would have red shirted Ant and jeremiah, considering what just happened to Ant, I strongly feel that would have been the right decision. Roy didn't really have a choice but to play them, injury had just killed our depth, the medical staff had cleared them both to play.

You know the back story on the Wear kids right? They were always going to play for the same team, that was in stone. Now 1 of them, I think it was Travis but not certain, but one of them wanted to play for Roy and UNC, the other wanted to play for UCLA (I think it was, been a while). Well, wasn't it david that hurt his hip and saw his season with us ended, the situation became he was not able to red shirt so it meant they would not be able to play together all 4 yrs of college ball and that was not their plan. Family felt the best place for the hurt kid was back in Cali with them and it allowed the other brother to transfer, sit out the same season that the injured kid had to (he was able to cover the mandatory sit out season and recover from surgery). As I said, one of them really was't sold on playing across the country so they did what they felt was best for their situation.

I didn't like the way they did it, the dad informed Roy as his kid's left town in the middle of the night, that was weak. But I have never seen them in the same light I saw Drew.

I am well aware of most of the back story. I had forgotten the point that one wanted to stay on the West Coast the entire time. BUT: If you ever want to become a man, one must learn to face up to unpleasant situations and handle them yourself! I don't care what my father said, I would never let him tell my coach I was leaving! I would have let him know as soon as I started thinking it and then let him know my final decision! Hiding behind Daddy is WEAK no matter why it happened!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT