ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

You are an alum alright. Question is from where...🏀
So it's after 1AM and some poor folks who have others living rent free in their heads are still poring over the perfect retort on a message board with their own previous posts slamming others for not being truly UNC affiliated.

Pretty sure UNC can do without that type of allegiance as could most of us who actually have lives regardless the caliber and credential of our affiliation.

Wouldn't shock me if Ian Jackson was capable of shooting 34% from 3 (Cormac's current % this season.)

Yeah we gotta find a physical center who can defend strong/fat centers. Bc Washington is definitely not that guy.
I don't think Jackson is going to shoot that well as a freshman. Not really sure though.

I don't think Jackson is going to shoot that well as a freshman. Not really sure though.
34% is what Marcus and Cole Anthony shot as frosh. Ditto for Harrison Barnes. Coby White shot 35%. Wayne Ellington was 37%. 34% is pretty good for a freshman

Will Ian start or get starter minutes? If RJ returns, he starts. If RJ leaves, I think SG is Trimble's to lose.

If RJ leaves, is Seth our backup PG? If not, do we need a PG from the portal?

I hear that Drake is a defensive whiz. Imagine Drake, Seth and Ingram out there together. Withers isn't too shabby on D and Elliot is coming along.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I'm just going to say it. I'm afraid that if RJ returns ian will go elsewhere.

Should I not be worried about this? Please someone tell me it's going to be okay 😆

Should I not be worried about this? Please someone tell me it's going to be okay 😆
With Cadeau, Trimble, RJ, Jackson, Powell there should be enough minutes to go around the 1-3 positions but that lacks some shooting. If Ingram, Withers and Washington come back we will have minutes for 1 big body. Losing RJ and Ingram would leave us with no 3 point threats.

Reactions: Kadyn930

Ian has the height and length to fill Ryan's shoes at the SF spot. I think the assumption is Cadeau, Davis, Jackson start and Trimble/Powell are the backups. But who knows with all the coaches tampering, NIL, and transfer portal.

My big fear is how bad will we be defensively. Bacot and Ryan are our best defensive players in the current starting lineup. You replace one with a freshman, and we're not sure who steps into Bacot's void yet.

Really hope we win the title this year.

I don't think RJ coming back is or should be a problem for Jack, I think Jack and Drake battle it out for minutes at the 3, who knows who wins that battle. I actually prefer one of Jack or Drake come off the bench, I don't love relying on multiple freshman guards to start, I see that a bit different with front court guys.

But let me ask you, let's say that RJ comes back and because he is, Jack decides to go elsewhere, do you really want a kid that is not willing to battle for his minutes? I am not a big fan of kid's straight out of high school not being willing to battle for minutes but look to be "given" minutes based on how many stars they had in recruiting. If you want to be gifted based on your hype then commit to Kentucky... If you come to UNC be ready to earn your minutes and learn how to play.

This is the best defensive center available in the portal, without equal. I have also seen interviews with him and he has Harrison Ingram charisma and the admiration of his teammates.
I also think he could be the " Best " fit to share time with Jalen Washington. Omoryui has never been a big min guy at Rutgers and a offensive 5 paired with a defensive 5 could be the best situation to keep JWash in the fold. This would give J Wash another year to show he can be the stand alone starting 5 as a Senior.

Last edited:
I don't think RJ coming back is or should be a problem for Jack, I think Jack and Drake battle it out for minutes at the 3, who knows who wins that battle. I actually prefer one of Jack or Drake come off the bench, I don't love relying on multiple freshman guards to start, I see that a bit different with front court guys.

But let me ask you, let's say that RJ comes back and because he is, Jack decides to go elsewhere, do you really want a kid that is not willing to battle for his minutes? I am not a big fan of kid's straight out of high school not being willing to battle for minutes but look to be "given" minutes based on how many stars they had in recruiting. If you want to be gifted based on your hype then commit to Kentucky... If you come to UNC be ready to earn your minutes and learn how to play.
I think it is more of I put myself at a disadvantage if I have to stay 3 years at this level. If they want 1 or 2 years max, go somewhere where you fit the need in year 1.

Not "given" minutes, but maximizing court time when choosing best fit. UNC's average starting age is 22.2 years old this year. The Thunder, best record for much of this year in the NBA, is 22.6.

More to a decision. I think Cap Jack and Powell see an immediate need with RJ gone in year 1. They think they can play together at the 2 and 3. If RJ stays they are splitting the same positions playing time in year 1 at the 3.

Reactions: tarwhiz
34% is what Marcus and Cole Anthony shot as frosh. Ditto for Harrison Barnes. Coby White shot 35%. Wayne Ellington was 37%. 34% is pretty good for a freshman

Will Ian start or get starter minutes? If RJ returns, he starts. If RJ leaves, I think SG is Trimble's to lose.

If RJ and the rest of our team plays well we win our next game...

I’m wondering if Drake ends up playing some 4 a la Theo Pinson…

Elliot
RJ
Trimble
Ian Jackson
Drake Powell

I agree there are enough minutes 1-3 for these 5 ballers. Will be a strong backcourt.

Not worried about Jackson- I think he’ll come this way regardless of what RJ does and be a fan favorite.

I agree, in principle, but I will still be upset if Jackson (or Drake) leaves because others stay or because we pick someone up in the portal.

My growing worry is how short we might end up being. We're shorter than average this year - a contrast because Carolina teams are usually taller than average. Doesn't seem to have hurt us much, if any, but that's no guarantee it won't going forward.

Whatever happens, next year could be a fun adventure. Just need to keep our expectations in check.

6'1 Cadeau
6'0 RJ or 6'3 Trimble
6'5 Jackson or 6'6 Powell
6'7 Ingram or 6'9 Withers
6'10 Washington or 6'9 High or 6'8 Okonkwo or 6'9 Brown

RJ and Harrison are in italics since they might not return. We get taller as a team if they leave, but we lose a lot of talent. So that's not the way I want to get taller.

If RJ leaves, we're not deep enough in the backcourt for my comfort. I think we need another PG, just to be safe. But how good a PG can we get when they know they won't start. It would have to be someone who is looking to start his 2nd year with us.

How about this kid as a backup PG this year, but maybe good enough to compete for the starting spot next year. Very efficient scorer - 17.2 ppg - across the board at his level, but will it translate?

Ja'Kobi Gillespie​

USATSI_22051666.jpg

Andrew Nelles / The Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK
Guard, Sophomore, 6-foot-1
Belmont
PROJECTED BPR (via Evan Miya): 5.3

This is the best defensive center available in the portal, without equal. I have also seen interviews with him and he has Harrison Ingram charisma and the admiration of his teammates.
I also think he could be the " Best " fit to share time with Jalen Washington. Omoryui has never been a big min guy at Rutgers and a offensive 5 paired with a defensive 5 could be the best situation to keep JWash in the fold. This would give J Wash another year to show he can be the stand alone starting 5 as a Senior.
Jwash could be a 4 too ..

Might be a good bench addition. I know, we don't need 2 guys from Belmont. But they are the 2 best players from Belmont.

Jwash could be a 4 too ..
As long as we're OK with losing lots and lots of games.

The modern 4 is essentially a tall small forward. Perimeter based on offense, and must be capable of defending every possible perimeter action. Jwash is in no way capable of playing that role. He is slow and clumsy on defense. He struggles dealing with screens, closing out on shooters, staying in front of his man, staying down on pump fakes, etc... On offense the only perimeter skill he is good at is shooting. Dribbling and passing are still very much works in progress for him.

There is a reason the coaches have to play him at Center even though he is too weak to stop big men from bullying him under the basket. It's because keeping him in the paint allows us to essentially hide all his many flaws as a perimeter defender.

How about this kid as a backup PG this year, but maybe good enough to compete for the starting spot next year. Very efficient scorer - 17.2 ppg - across the board at his level, but will it translate?

Ja'Kobi Gillespie​

USATSI_22051666.jpg

Belmont

Haven't seen any indication that UNC is interested. Until we know what Cadeau, Davis, and Trimble decide there really is no pressing need to look for another PG. If we do lose any of them we'd probably be looking for a Power Conference player to replace them.

As long as we're OK with losing lots and lots of games.

The modern 4 is essentially a tall small forward. Perimeter based on offense, and must be capable of defending every possible perimeter action. Jwash is in no way capable of playing that role. He is slow and clumsy on defense. He struggles dealing with screens, closing out on shooters, staying in front of his man, staying down on pump fakes, etc... On offense the only perimeter skill he is good at is shooting. Dribbling and passing are still very much works in progress for him.

There is a reason the coaches have to play him at Center even though he is too weak to stop big men from bullying him under the basket. It's because keeping him in the paint allows us to essentially hide all his many flaws as a perimeter defender.
Sounds like you're saying that without both muscular and speed improvements on JW's part, we need to find a starting center.

Do you think any of our other bigs can handle starting in the post, individually or as a committee? Or should we go after a serious starting center in the portal?

If we do go after a starting center, do we lose any of our current bigs? Who's most likely to leave?

I'm beginning to feel a bit like I felt a number of years ago when we had junior Luke Maye plus freshmen Stirling Manley and Brandon Huffman. Over the summer, some people were saying we should save a scholarship and pass on Garrison Brooks. As it turned out, we could have used the portal back then to get a "real" center. Fortunately, Luke had a great season, and Garrison was better than expected. But we still could have used a real center.

Ja'Kobi Gillespie​

USATSI_22051666.jpg

Belmont

Committed to Maryland. Looks like he'll be a starter, not a backup.

Why don't they throw all the players names (both who have entered the portal and those that have not) in a hat and each coach gets to pick out 10 players that will be assigned to their team. Makes it so much easier.
LOL.

That would tell us a lot about coaching ability, though.

There will be more great players entering the portal.. just be patient.... HD will get the right guy/guys we need I do believe

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT