ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I'm giving STEWART an UPGRADE after watching these clips. Sure, they only show you the good stuff in these highlights but based on these, his ceiling is up there. He's really quick off the floor. Maybe not Antawn/Brice quick but quick. Also moves well on D. And he's only a freshman.

Let's not worry about any rivalry taboos, let's go after this kid.

He was a 5 star coming out of high school so the potential may still be there.. I am with you though. We need a starting caliber center, however, I am more interested in a shot blocking center than a scoring center. We need someone who can defend the post and make it tough on opponents inside. Let our guards do the scoring.. Clingan at UConn is that type. He doesn't score a lot at times but is also a force on defense.
I don't personally know how true it is but my dukie buddy has told me that Stewart showed off a dunk by leaping over a duke big man and flushing it, said the kid can lay his hand on the TOP OF THE BACK BOARD. That is serious ups, that is ups and more ups! My dukie bud is not happy Stewart left, 6'9" and ups like that, I can sure understand why! LOL

Time is running out to get someone from the portal. Tyson may not have gotten the right vibe from the coach.
Something is up and it can't be all about the cash.

• Sad
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Mason Gillis, a kid I've seen plenty of since high school and Big 10 6th man of the year chose Dook. He is a grown a$$ man, plays hard.
I’ve watched him play ever game, got my Engineering degree from PU. The kid didn’t play BBall for almost 1.5 years due to knee injuries from his senior year of HS… sound familiar to someone on UNC from IN as well?

Everyone will see his stats and say who cares no big deal. Guys stats don’t paint the picture of what he does. Plays good D, rebounds bigger than his size, can hit the open 3 in big moments (46+%), great FT shooter above 85%. He’s not a driver more of a spot up shooter, could change under a different offense. He made a lot of key plays in pivotal situations. Most his points came from 3s and cleaning up offensive boards. Hit 9 3s in a game last year. I would have loved for him to be a bench player for UNC.

Reactions: DSouthr
I’ve watched him play ever game, got my Engineering degree from PU. The kid didn’t play BBall for almost 1.5 years due to knee injuries from his senior year of HS… sound familiar to someone on UNC from IN as well?

Everyone will see his stats and say who cares no big deal. Guys stats don’t paint the picture of what he does. Plays good D, rebounds bigger than his size, can hit the open 3 in big moments (46+%), great FT shooter above 85%. He’s not a driver more of a spot up shooter, could change under a different offense. He made a lot of key plays in pivotal situations. Most his points came from 3s and cleaning up offensive boards. Hit 9 3s in a game last year. I would have loved for him to be a bench player for UNC.
Scheyer doesn't play a deep bench. They have 2 of the best small forwards in the country coming in with their recruiting class, and they promised Flagg he could play SF some too.

Hope Gillis enjoys his seat on the bench.

Reactions: Indy_Heel

And with a young freshman laden group, his veteran fully grown body with deep experience seems to fit really well for their needs. He may be looking at a Harrison Ingram type role for them.

I've always liked the kid, wish he would of gone elsewhere.

Scheyer doesn't play a deep bench. They have 2 of the best small forwards in the country coming in with their recruiting class, and they promised Flagg he could play SF some too.

Scheyer needs a backup at PG and SG. He should go after Trimble.

If the college game allowed trades, we could have worked something out.

He came off the bench to mostly play the 4 beside Edey so he could be open for 3s when they doubled down on Edey. So maybe he’s backing up Flagg lol. You know Flagg’s probably already got negotiated 35+min a game.

He came off the bench to mostly play the 4 beside Edey so he could be open for 3s when they doubled down on Edey. So maybe he’s backing up Flagg lol. You know Flagg’s probably already got negotiated 35+min a game.
So then what position does Maliq Brown play?

See the problem here?

You've got all these elite 5 star forward recruits expecting starter level minutes. And now you've got an experienced SF in Gillis, and an experienced PF in Brown, who both expect heavy minutes. And a coach who doesn't play a deep bench.

BTW don't get suckered into all the media hype about UNC being on Koby Brea's list. UNC and at least one other school appear to just be window dressing.

• Angry
Reactions: RoseHeel
Gillis can play, not that concerned with Brown honestly. There is something really strange going on with that duke program, they have been losing guys that you just cannot afford to lose if you want your program to get older.

Jordan Pope, the only PG in the portal we've been linked to, will pick between two Texas schools on Wednesday

So then what position does Maliq Brown play?

See the problem here?

You've got all these elite 5 star forward recruits expecting starter level minutes. And now you've got an experienced SF in Gillis, and an experienced PF in Brown, who both expect heavy minutes. And a coach who doesn't play a deep bench.
Nah I don't think so. Brown and Gillis are backups; especially Brown. They've got Flagg and Maluach to start at the 4 and 5.

It's not much different than us. For the 2 through 4 spots we might end up with RJ, Tyson, Thiero, and Withers, the latter three of which all "transferred in for heavy minutes" as you say, plus another two 5 star freshman in Jackson + Powell. That's six guys for three spots; three of them are coming off the bench.

Brown and Gillis aren't any higher profile than Withers or Tyson, neither of whom might start for us.

Nah I don't think so. Brown and Gillis are backups; especially Brown. They've got Flagg and Maluach to start at the 4 and 5.

It's not much different than us. For the 2 through 4 spots we might end up with RJ, Tyson, Thiero, and Withers, the latter three of which all "transferred in for heavy minutes" as you say, plus another two 5 star freshman in Jackson + Powell. That's six guys for three spots; three of them are coming off the bench.

Brown and Gillis aren't any higher profile than Withers or Tyson, neither of whom might start for us.
Except RJ hasn't announced he's coming back, Tyson hasn't announced he's coming here, and Adou hasn't even visited.

They have multiple guys locked in. Isiah Evans is a top SF recruit. Kon Kneuppel is a top SF recruit. Cooper Flagg is the top recruit in the country and has been promised he can play SF. Gillis is a SF. Somebody is going to end up unhappy just like TJ Power did.

Except RJ hasn't announced he's coming back, Tyson hasn't announced he's coming here, and Adou hasn't even visited.

They have multiple guys locked in. Isiah Evans is a top SF recruit. Kon Kneuppel is a top SF recruit. Cooper Flagg is the top recruit in the country and has been promised he can play SF. Gillis is a SF. Somebody is going to end up unhappy just like TJ Power did.
Gillis played a lot of PF at Purdue. 6'6 225 much like Harrison Ingram 6'7 235. I think they are looking at him in that type roll.

Gillis played a lot of PF at Purdue. 6'6 225 much like Harrison Ingram 6'7 235. I think they are looking at him in that type roll.
Malik Brown is 6"8" 222 lbs and played 30 mins a game for Syracuse.

Somebody in that forward group is gonna be super unhappy.

Better hope RJ comes back and Hubert has a few silent commitments
RJ may be waiting to see who Hubert can reel in before making his decision.

Meanwhile, as long as RJ is silent, Hubert can suggest to bigs that they can come play alongside RJ.

In other words, it's mutually beneficial if RJ stays mum for now.

RJ will have to decide about the portal by Saturday, and about the NBA draft by next Wednesday, if I have my dates right. Or is he automatically in the draft because he's a senior?

If Hubert gets the right pieces this week, that will presumably make staying much more attractive. If he doesn't, RJ should probably enter the portal and draft, just to maximize his options. He can always pull out later.

RJ may be waiting to see who Hubert can reel in before making his decision.

Meanwhile, as long as RJ is silent, Hubert can suggest to bigs that they can come play alongside RJ.

In other words, it's mutually beneficial if RJ stays mum for now.

RJ will have to decide about the portal by Saturday, and about the NBA draft by next Wednesday, if I have my dates right. Or is he automatically in the draft because he's a senior?

If Hubert gets the right pieces this week, that will presumably make staying much more attractive. If he doesn't, RJ should probably enter the portal and draft, just to maximize his options. He can always pull out later.
RJ is graduating. There is no portal deadline for grad transfers.

If he were to enter the transfer portal, it would be devastating to both the program's image and how he is viewed by fans. I don't even want to fathom the backlash that would happen simultaneously to the coaching staff for not being able to keep him, and to RJ for choosing to go play for another school. Has a 1st Team All American who got his jersey in the rafters ever transferred away from any school in college basketball history?

He was awarded a PostGraduate Scholarship by the ACC back in February. He's made a ton of NIL money at UNC. I assume with Bacot (and Drake Maye) gone he will be the most handsomely paid athlete at UNC should he choose to return. He just had the best season of his career playing for Hubert and alongside Cadeau. He'd be the frontrunner for National Player of the Year should he choose to return to that same situation. And frankly I can't see RJ Davis the competitor choosing to let his last game in UNC jersey be the one where he shot so poorly.

I can see him entering the draft, and then making a decision to stay in or pull out based on the feedback he gets. I would think the most likely scenario is he's going to come back to UNC for a 5th year. It would explain why Hubert has basically made no effort to find a replacement in the portal.

Malik Brown is 6"8" 222 lbs and played 30 mins a game for Syracuse.

Somebody in that forward group is gonna be super unhappy.
Maybe, if Brown wants his 30 per game. I think Gillis looking at his 20 or so. A lot of bodies for sure for run.

If he were to enter the transfer portal, it would be devastating to both the program's image and how he is viewed by fans. I don't even want to fathom the backlash that would happen simultaneously to the coaching staff for not being able to keep him, and to RJ for choosing to go play for another school. Has a 1st Team All American who got his jersey in the rafters ever transferred away from any school in college basketball history?

He was awarded a PostGraduate Scholarship by the ACC back in February. He's made a ton of NIL money at UNC. I assume with Bacot (and Drake Maye) gone he will be the most handsomely paid athlete at UNC should he choose to return. He just had the best season of his career playing for Hubert and alongside Cadeau. He'd be the frontrunner for National Player of the Year should he choose to return to that same situation. And frankly I can't see RJ Davis the competitor choosing to let his last game in UNC jersey be the one where he shot so poorly.

I can see him entering the draft, and then making a decision to stay in or pull out based on the feedback he gets. I would think the most likely scenario is he's going to come back to UNC for a 5th year. It would explain why Hubert has basically made no effort to find a replacement in the portal.
Good logic. Thanks. I feel better now.

Good post. Rational thought > random speculation.

Mason Gillis, a kid I've seen plenty of since high school and Big 10 6th man of the year chose Dook. He is a grown a$$ man, plays hard.
Completely agree. Hate seeing him go to Dook. Hugely under appreciated pickup by the dark side. Championship level bench piece. 😑

Better hope RJ comes back and Hubert has a few silent commitments
Other than winning a Title why would he come back…He is not going to improve his draft stock because he needs to play PG full time and run the show…Not happening with EC here…IMO his best move would be to enter the Draft go to the G-League and be a full time PG and work your way up the ladder…

Other than winning a Title why would he come back…He is not going to improve his draft stock because he needs to play PG full time and run the show…Not happening with EC here…IMO his best move would be to enter the Draft go to the G-League and be a full time PG and work your way up the ladder…

Why would he want to go make peanuts in the G-league when he can make another year of NIL at Carolina. Dave made a good point above, with Mando and Drake Maye out of the way, Davis is the most well known and marketable athlete at the school. He stands to make a good amount through NIL.

No, his draft stock isn't going to get any better. But it's not good enough now. Why not take the better money of staying in college another year then start your g-league experience after next year.

From my perspective, there is no logical reason whatsoever to leave absent a first round guarantee from some NBA team, which he doesn't have. But I acknowledge that he may just be done with Carolina and want to move on. If that's the case, I get that.

Why would he want to go make peanuts in the G-league when he can make another year of NIL at Carolina. Dave made a good point above, with Mando and Drake Maye out of the way, Davis is the most well known and marketable athlete at the school. He stands to make a good amount through NIL.

No, his draft stock isn't going to get any better. But it's not good enough now. Why not take the better money of staying in college another year then start your g-league experience after next year.

From my perspective, there is no logical reason whatsoever to leave absent a first round guarantee from some NBA team, which he doesn't have. But I acknowledge that he may just be done with Carolina and want to move on. If that's the case, I get that.

This, plus by all accounts he loves Carolina. Certainly off topic, but with money you get now, there are investments you could make to triple, quadruple (or more) your money. The BTC halving just occurred and that is routinely bullish for digital currency investments, there is a mint to be made in the next 12-14 months IMO.

Which is better, another year of NIL here or getting started on the next stage of his career in Europe? I have no idea how those 2 incomes match up. I've heard that the pay over there can be pretty sweet, if you land on a good team. Marcus will have input on that, I imagine.

Another variable I can't assess is the impact of what his girlfriend does. Do they want to be near each other? How important is the relationship?

Is there anything that might push RJ away? What if Hubert doesn't land top transfers? It's one thing to speculate, as many have, that RJ can't improve his stock by returning. It's another to worry that returning might hurt his stock.

As sensible as @DaveChapelle's post was, I still think Hubert needs to deliver.

RJ is having to make a really hard decision, he is having to hear some things he doesn't want to hear as in your dream of being a NBA drafted player may not be attainable. It isn't that he wants to leave UNC it is just that his end game has always been NBA and I wonder how much thought he has put in to a plan B until the last few weeks. He is the kind of kid that when you tell he what he can't do he sets out to prove you wrong and up to now he has been able to do just that. 5'10" shooting 2 guard can't play in the ACC, well he just won ACC POY. He is used to proving others wrong when they tell him what he can't do. But as Elvis said "you gave me a mountain this time".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT