ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

does have a ring to it...lol...i believe flagg/malauch/ndonga/evans/harris/kneuppel is a solid 6 man class...the joy is seeing how it pans out, or the pain
Or how many need development time before they are solid contributors and will they be around for future season with your team. We went thru it when we played back to back seasons Iron 5, lost most all our bench after the first 1, we were fortunate to get big time players from the portal. I think that is what coaches have to do now, recruit high school for sure but you have to blend that with the portal and if you tilt to one side it may now have to be on the portal side more than the high school recruit side.

Example, pretty much every UNC fan right now is excited by the prospect of bringing in Tyson to fill our 3 spot, I am actually not nearly as excited as everyone seems to be, especially now with both Seth and RJ back for next season. Why, because we have Ian Jackson and Drake Powell on the way and they are going to need solid minutes, lot harder for them to get those minutes they will need with Tyson than it would be without him. It will not do us any favors in high school recruiting to recruit over big time senior high school 5star players before they even get to UNC. Nor did Seth come back to UNC for less minutes than he got last season and Seth got some minutes at the 2 and 3 last season, 4 really talented guys fighting for minutes at the 3?

Yes he declared and then put his name in the portal a week later. My guess is he's going through the draft process with the intent of playing another year of college ball.
Ingram has kept his option of returning as well. His return is not of the table.

Ingram did keep the option to return available. However it's been posted in here that the staff is certain he'll be drafted.
He will get a 2nd round selection for sure, if that is enough for him. He ain't getting a 1st round call with guarentees though, which is the no brainer.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
If it continues then yes....last year, we had no portal defects....this year different story...Reeves and Schutt, meh.....Blakes graduated and wants a year of more opportunity....Roach gave us 4 years and it appears Baylor paid him well, the focus is Foster/Proctor.....Mitchell, loved the kid, but his shot essentially camped the 4 in the lane and made it hard on the guards to drive...now Power and Stewart, I hate it, wish they got burn, but I watched all games there leashes were short for a reason, but I wanted them both back to see growth....Brown and Gillis essentially replaces them and automatically makes us older and experienced....it appears right now, Brown is the 4...we got 10 guys right now...maybe adding 1 more, we'll see....all coaches are gonna have to adjust as it seems if kids dont play, they dont stay..lol
You are going to love Gillis. I watch a ton of Purdue games and really like Matt Painter. Gillis is a defensive player and will play whatever role he needs to. Streaky long range shooter and has an edge to him.
Hate that he is a Dookie.

Or how many need development time before they are solid contributors and will they be around for future season with your team. We went thru it when we played back to back seasons Iron 5, lost most all our bench after the first 1, we were fortunate to get big time players from the portal. I think that is what coaches have to do now, recruit high school for sure but you have to blend that with the portal and if you tilt to one side it may now have to be on the portal side more than the high school recruit side.

Example, pretty much every UNC fan right now is excited by the prospect of bringing in Tyson to fill our 3 spot, I am actually not nearly as excited as everyone seems to be, especially now with both Seth and RJ back for next season. Why, because we have Ian Jackson and Drake Powell on the way and they are going to need solid minutes, lot harder for them to get those minutes they will need with Tyson than it would be without him. It will not do us any favors in high school recruiting to recruit over big time senior high school 5star players before they even get to UNC. Nor did Seth come back to UNC for less minutes than he got last season and Seth got some minutes at the 2 and 3 last season, 4 really talented guys fighting for minutes at the 3?
Dave, the old way is long gone. Bring in Tyson, Drake and Jackson and let it play out. The days of recruit and develop are gone.

Thought we'd hear about a commitment from Tyson by now. All the transfers who visited last year committed within a couple days of leaving campus, except for Timberlake.

According to On3, this guy is the 2nd best PF still on the board, after Osobor.

If you stick with the video long enough, he shows some good passing chops, and does everything else reasonably well. I see him more as a solid bencher backing up both C and PF. He could start if we need him to, but wouldn't if Washington and Withers make the strides we hope for. Would he be interested in such a role - fewer minutes on a bigger stage?

If we don't get our top choices, do we want somebody in that role?

Looking like UNC is getting no one from the portal. Negative thinking but UNC can't even get visits from recruits other than Tyson.

• Sad

right...i hope development comes in the form of meaningful playing time, thats why I dont want another player added as proctor/foster/kon/evans/harris imo is enough at the 1-2 spots and the frosh can play some 3 as well, but it appears the 3 is Flaggs, but I do understand if a ball handler is added that has some key attributes for just in case and isnt looking for heavy minutes

Questions:

1. If we don't get a top SF (like Tyson) and a top PF/C (like Omoruyi or Osobor), should we stop looking or should we settle for less?

2. How good can we be if we don't get a top SF and a top PF/C?

Seems like we have to settle for at least one big guy if we don't get our top choices - simply because we only have 10 guys (including RJ).

That's cutting it close. Not much room for anything to go wrong. And the front line is where we have our least confidence, so that's why I say we have to get someone there, at a minimum.

If we assume Elliot, Jalen and Jae'lyn get better - not knock-your-socks-off better, but good strides - and that at least one of our frosh wings is ready, and that Jalen can handle starter minutes, and that we avoid injuries - a lot of IFs - we could be very good.

I'm thinking top 4-5 in the expanded ACC.

If Elliot and Jalen have breakout years, we could contend.

All that good stuff could happen without settling. But I think it's too risky to not at least get a proven big guy.

Needless to say, I want Tyson and Omoruyi. But I'd settle for Onyenso or Owusu-Anane (or some other big the coaches like better).

right...i hope development comes in the form of meaningful playing time, thats why I dont want another player added as proctor/foster/kon/evans/harris imo is enough at the 1-2 spots and the frosh can play some 3 as well, but it appears the 3 is Flaggs, but I do understand if a ball handler is added that has some key attributes for just in case and isnt looking for heavy minutes
Yeah, where do you find someone who's good enough to take over (if needed) at an elite school, but is willing to come on board for short minutes if nothing goes wrong with the regulars?

A guy with 2-3 years left might do that, if he can see big minutes the following year. Otherwise it seems like a hard sell. Unless maybe we're talking about a school with money to burn.

From UNC's perspective, I think we have a minimal need for a very solid backup front line guy. But how do you entice a really good starter - even from a mid-major - if he might only get 10-15 minutes?

Scheyer may have pulled that off with Maliq Brown. I wonder how he did it?

Last edited:
I'm assuming we get Tyson (or stand pat if we miss) and Omoruyi (or another Big if we miss). I don't see what is causing so much panic though! Many things WILL change by the middle of next week so I counsel patience!

I'm assuming we get Tyson (or stand pat if we miss) and Omoruyi (or another Big if we miss). I don't see what is causing so much panic though! Many things WILL change by the middle of next week so I counsel patience!
I agree it is not time to panic, but I think concern is valid.

We were a top 10 team last year but we have lost a TON of not only talent, but leadership.

IMO, we HAVE to find starter level talent at the 5 AND 4 if we want a Carolina-type season next year. Best case scenario for both of our JW's progressing still are MAJOR downgrades from Bacot & Ingram.

I am very excited that Seth and hopefully RJ return next season. We still lost our three-point threat in Cormac, hence the need for a player like Cade Tyson to better space the floor and allow our guards to drive.

It sounds like our coach es are doing everything they can and I understand that not everyone we choose will choose us back. It doesn't change the fact that if we want to prevent regression, we had better land a couple of our front Court targets.

I do think that at the end of the day, we will get what we need.

It a GDTBATH!!!

I am very interested in how all this is twisting and turning, this time of the years is both the most fun as well as the most annoying time of the year you be on a board like this. Posters coming out of the woodworks, folks checking every few minutes to see what has happened now, discussion topics every where, much more than you see in season.

There is really no need to panic, see fans will see a name drop in to the portal, they assume UNC & Hubert will want the guy bad, they hear Hubert made a phone call and all the sudden he is ours? Truth is Hubert, as he should, is vetting a lot of these guys out, you don't lose a battle you do not engage in. Hubert is being very selective, replacing guys like Bacot, Ryan, Igram, is something he wants to get absolutely right, he wants the very best fit as a kid and as a player for his team and it has to be BOTH. The better player may not be the best fit with the players he has or the way he wants his team to play.

Is there anyone that really doubts that Hubert will address our glaring need for a starter quality center? I don't at all, I am certain he will and it will be a player that fits Hubert and fans will embrace who ever that may be. It is as if UNC fans see Christmas coming and want to un-wrap your packages now, wait till Christmas gets here, enjoy the ride while you wait!

I am very interested in how all this is twisting and turning, this time of the years is both the most fun as well as the most annoying time of the year you be on a board like this. Posters coming out of the woodworks, folks checking every few minutes to see what has happened now, discussion topics every where, much more than you see in season.
I agree. It's fun.

Plus, when it's done, what's left to talk about? Occasional pickup games? 2025 recruiting?

Somehow we'll have to get through the next 6+ months.

The Olympics will help. I love the Olympics. But that's only a few weeks of distraction.

When's the next time UNC will play in some summer tournaments? IIRC there used to be rules about that - something like you can only do that every 4 years. But with all the other rules going away, why not schedule some (streamed) games in Europe or elsewhere?

I wonder what Washington, Withers, High and Brown think when they see us fans obsessing over getting a starting big?

"What are we, chopped liver?"

I'd bet Withers thinks he's ready to start, and I'm inclined to agree. I'm sure Washington wants to start. Less sure if he's up to it, but totally ready to throw him in the deep end to find out. High and Brown are question marks, but they only have to play backup, and are presumably happy in that role for the time being. High has shown flashes. It will be fun to see him after the summer.

Four bigs means enough competition in practice.

I don't see us as ACC champs if we strike out in the portal, but we could be good, and fun to watch. Not worried about our back court. And we can go small a lot if needed.

And, who knows, maybe Ingram will pull out of the draft and return.

I wonder what Washington, Withers, High and Brown think when they see us fans obsessing over getting a starting big?

"What are we, chopped liver?"

I'd bet Withers thinks he's ready to start, and I'm inclined to agree. I'm sure Washington wants to start. Less sure if he's up to it, but totally ready to throw him in the deep end to find out. High and Brown are question marks, but they only have to play backup, and are presumably happy in that role for the time being. High has shown flashes. It will be fun to see him after the summer.

Four bigs means enough competition in practice.

I don't see us as ACC champs if we strike out in the portal, but we could be good, and fun to watch. Not worried about our back court. And we can go small a lot if needed.

And, who knows, maybe Ingram will pull out of the draft and return.
What makes you think that Withers is ready to start?

What makes you think that Withers is ready to start?
He has good athleticism, he seemed to be ''getting it"' down the stretch (whereas he looked a bit lost early on), plus I think it's clear what he needs to work on - so I'm assuming the staff will be addressing those things over the summer.

I could be wrong, but I'm optimistic.

Yeah, where do you find someone who's good enough to take over (if needed) at an elite school, but is willing to come on board for short minutes if nothing goes wrong with the regulars?

A guy with 2-3 years left might do that, if he can see big minutes the following year. Otherwise it seems like a hard sell. Unless maybe we're talking about a school with money to burn.

From UNC's perspective, I think we have a minimal need for a very solid backup front line guy. But how do you entice a really good starter - even from a mid-major - if he might only get 10-15 minutes?

Scheyer may have pulled that off with Maliq Brown. I wonder how he did it?
And Mason Gillis

I just think he was a real pivotal part of the 23-24 team's success. He provided some leadership, and yes, ability and attitude. They're just little intangibles that can make a huge difference in the overall team's chemistry and success.
This, I think was as important a contribution Cormac made as his defense and shooting.

He has good athleticism, he seemed to be ''getting it"' down the stretch (whereas he looked a bit lost early on), plus I think it's clear what he needs to work on - so I'm assuming the staff will be addressing those things over the summer.

I could be wrong, but I'm optimistic.
I think part of his up-and-down season last year was actually him coming off the bench. He started almost his entire Louisville career and that's an adjustment coming off the bench and not everyone adjusts well to that change. However, there's no way he should've started last season so that's what it was going to be.

I think if he's starting, this team better be pretty loaded at the 3 and the 5. As someone who thinks UNC's bench needs to be upgraded, you can probably tell how I'd feel if Withers is a starter next year.

I honestly don't see a ton of value in him unless he returns to his JR year 3PT shooting form. And I'll fully admit he ended up playing his role fairly well by the end of the season. But to me, that's replaceable. Harder to replace him if he returns to shooting around 40% from 3 though.

I didn't see a high IQ player to start though. Has some natural gifts that pop at times. But in the end, I think he's a player the opposing coaches target in big games.

Tennessee just got a commit from OSU's Felix Okpara, a 6'11 210 soph. A downgrade from Aidoo, but not bad. I don't think there was any chance Aidoo was going to return to the Vols, but that presumably seals any remaining crack in the door.

I think part of his up-and-down season last year was actually him coming off the bench. He started almost his entire Louisville career and that's an adjustment coming off the bench and not everyone adjusts well to that change. However, there's no way he should've started last season so that's what it was going to be.

I think if he's starting, this team better be pretty loaded at the 3 and the 5. As someone who thinks UNC's bench needs to be upgraded, you can probably tell how I'd feel if Withers is a starter next year.

I honestly don't see a ton of value in him unless he returns to his JR year 3PT shooting form. And I'll fully admit he ended up playing his role fairly well by the end of the season. But to me, that's replaceable. Harder to replace him if he returns to shooting around 40% from 3 though.

I didn't see a high IQ player to start though. Has some natural gifts that pop at times. But in the end, I think he's a player the opposing coaches target in big games.
There is a reason Louisville fans uses to call him the king of unforced turnovers. Very low bball IQ.

I'm assuming we get Tyson (or stand pat if we miss)
We definitely aren't standing pat if we miss. UNC reached out to Peja's son before Cade Tyson ever took his visit.

We have several open scholarships. We need a starting center, a starting PF, and 3pt shooting.

Reactions: UNCHUSKER

Despite his flaws, Withers was 2nd on the team in eFG% and TS% (after Washington, in both cases). Runs the floor really well. OK passer. And his D was decent.

Clearly an improvement in 3-point shooting would make him a more useful player. I assume that's one of the things he'll be working on.

I imagine we all expect Elliot to improve a lot. Which is relevant because Withers is an excellent alley oop target. He's a quick and high jumper. His hands are suspect, so that needs work over the summer. Although, to be fair, it may not be hands as much as starting to move before corralling the ball. Which may be even easier to correct.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT