ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

How many are left? Serious question.

As long as there are a few left, hope lives.
I think right now it is safe to say Hubert has been working hard on the guy he seems more inclined to, think he has a back up plan that he continues to work as well. A quick glance at the guys in the portal this morning showed several options if Hubert's plan A and B fall thru, the Ky kid being just 1 example.

I think we need 2 bigs because you need to go in to a season with 4 big men to handle the 4 & 5 spots, right now we have 2 in Jalen and JWit. Tyson, if or when we get him is a 3, I feel like we would be in trouble if we see Tyson having to play a the power forward spot much. There is a big man that word is may be about to enter the portal that is likely to get his own thread when he does enter, that is just going to have to play out but we look to be in good position if that happens.

There is just a lot of moving parts right now, the smoke has to clear before we can really know who we will have, right now all anyone can give is speculation, a lot of rumor being treated as fact. But it is fun, just hold on and enjoy the ride! LOL

• Love
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Jalen Washington. His junior year will tell us all we need to know.

Yeah, I probably said that last year, too, but we had Armando. So it never really got put to the test, because Jalen only averaged 8.3 mpg.

I don't think there's a lot of middle ground on Jalen. Either he breaks out - and then goes pro. Or it becomes clear he's never going to be more than what we've been seeing, albeit for more minutes.

To be fair, what we've been seeing for more minutes is pretty good, and very welcome. But he needs to handle a lot more minutes and more knocks. Which, if he can, makes him a pro prospect, because the rest of the package is impressive.

There is a big man that word is may be about to enter the portal that is likely to get his own thread when he does enter, that is just going to have to play out but we look to be in good position if that happens.
I hate it when people do that.

Would it be so damn hard to mention the name?

• Haha
Despite his flaws, Withers was 2nd on the team in eFG% and TS% (after Washington, in both cases). Runs the floor really well. OK passer. And his D was decent.

Clearly an improvement in 3-point shooting would make him a more useful player. I assume that's one of the things he'll be working on.

I imagine we all expect Elliot to improve a lot. Which is relevant because Withers is an excellent alley oop target. He's a quick and high jumper. His hands are suspect, so that needs work over the summer. Although, to be fair, it may not be hands as much as starting to move before corralling the ball. Which may be even easier to correct.
I like JWit, there are not a ton of 4s in the portal more talented than JWit in my view. The problem he struggled with was he was a go to guy when he was at Louisville and that was not his role last season, when he got in he tried to hard to made things happen, ended up forcing things he should not have. It wasn't a lack of talent, it was trying to do to much, just needs to learn to settle down and let the game come to him. His jump shot is not bad, his decisions on when to take it could be better, he has decent form on his shot just needs to relax in to it.

Personally, I want a starter quality center, I prefer a broad shoulders 7ft guy that is a big time defender/shot blocker/ board cleaner/that is not physically pushed around. The guy I think I would prefer to also bring in more to replace Ingram I think is Sean Stewart, yeah that dukie guy maybe a touch more than Therio.

Jalen Washington. His junior year will tell us all we need to know.

Yeah, I probably said that last year, too, but we had Armando. So it never really got put to the test, because Jalen only averaged 8.3 mpg.

I don't think there's a lot of middle ground on Jalen. Either he breaks out - and then goes pro. Or it becomes clear he's never going to be more than what we've been seeing, albeit for more minutes.

To be fair, what we've been seeing for more minutes is pretty good, and very welcome. But he needs to handle a lot more minutes and more knocks. Which, if he can, makes him a pro prospect, because the rest of the package is impressive.
Until he is able to hold his position low, his minutes will be limited.

when [Withers] got in he tried to hard to made things happen, ended up forcing things he should not have. It wasn't a lack of talent, it was trying to do to much, just needs to learn to settle down and let the game come to him. His jump shot is not bad, his decisions on when to take it could be better, he has decent form on his shot just needs to relax in to it.
Again, I agree. Forcing it could be the main problem.

I hate it when people do that.

Would it be so damn hard to mention the name?
I can't WW, it is premium information on our 4Cs that I can't share here, you have to appreciate that.

Speaking of that, some one, I don't know who, recently took information from the premium side of this site and shared it on another web site for non-paying members, like Radar is here. AJ has been fantastic for we that love Radar and it is free to post or just read here. Premium is what pays the bills that allow free boards like Radar to exist. Many such boards no longer have anything but premium but AJ fights his butt off to keep this free for us so I ask we show him the respect he deserves by not stealing what others are paying for that allows us to have Radar as a free place to talk UNC sports. By all means, join if you can and help support the whole of THI but if you either can't or just do not wish to at least give AJ the respect he deserves and not steal his stuff and run to some other site with it. Respect IC as well by not doing the same to them.

• Love
Filipowski thrived playing a lot outside. Ideally Jalen will muscle and toughen up enough to "hold position low," but he doesn't have to be strong inside to be a star.
If anyone believes that our staff will be able to turn Jalen in to bacot, I have some really bad news for them, it ain't gonna happen! Bacot was simply able to do things Jalen nor Jwit will EVER be able to do. But the good news is Jalen and JWit can each do things that bacot could not do. So you adjust your approach based on who you have, as UNC has done for my whole life of being a Tar Heel. Sheed wasn't Montross, Montross wasn't Hansbourgh, and Hansbourgh wasn't Bacot. So we do what we have always done, next guy up carries the load, he may carry it in a different way but that load will be picked up and carried.

Reactions: RHFD and TPFKAPFS
Yeah, where do you find someone who's good enough to take over (if needed) at an elite school, but is willing to come on board for short minutes if nothing goes wrong with the regulars?

A guy with 2-3 years left might do that, if he can see big minutes the following year. Otherwise it seems like a hard sell. Unless maybe we're talking about a school with money to burn.

From UNC's perspective, I think we have a minimal need for a very solid backup front line guy. But how do you entice a really good starter - even from a mid-major - if he might only get 10-15 minutes?

Scheyer may have pulled that off with Maliq Brown. I wonder how he did it?
its tough...gotta find the right kid...there is a chance Big Pat may have limited minutes coming off his injury and getting back in shape and Maulach may not be in line for heavy heavy minutes, adjusting to the college game or could be in foul trouble alot due to defensive aggressiveness, but I see Brown getting plenty minutes at the 4/5 spot and he has 2 years of eligibility

its tough...gotta find the right kid...there is a chance Big Pat may have limited minutes coming off his injury and getting back in shape and Maulach may not be in line for heavy heavy minutes, adjusting to the college game or could be in foul trouble alot due to defensive aggressiveness, but I see Brown getting plenty minutes at the 4/5 spot and he has 2 years of eligibility
My duke bud agrees pretty much with you on Malouch and Ndongo, got to tell ya, the thought of UNC having to face Brown at 6'8" and Gillis at 6'6" does not exactly frighten me! LOL

Looks like Coach Davis is in Kentucky today visiting somebody???Rupp Rafters is not happy…LMAO!!!!!

Please don't do this. lol
Hey Nate, pardon me but I want to clear something up. You and I have a pretty long history of disagreement but as I have shared many times I actually enjoy arguing with you. I thought everyone knew but have seen some posts over the last couple days where folks were wondering about you.

A few weeks back, I actually did a diss toward you that I actually do regret and would ask your forgiveness for it, I publicly expressed that I thought you were the dave Chappell poster knowing you are better than that. To your credit, you are not hiding, you publicly shared who you were and that you were going by this screen name as opposed to the ole SJung we all know and love, at times love to hate ;). I just wanted to clear the air on something I thought everyone knew but seems they didn't.

I can't WW, it is premium information on our 4Cs that I can't share here, you have to appreciate that.

Speaking of that, some one, I don't know who, recently took information from the premium side of this site and shared it on another web site for non-paying members, like Radar is here. AJ has been fantastic for we that love Radar and it is free to post or just read here. Premium is what pays the bills that allow free boards like Radar to exist. Many such boards no longer have anything but premium but AJ fights his butt off to keep this free for us so I ask we show him the respect he deserves by not stealing what others are paying for that allows us to have Radar as a free place to talk UNC sports. By all means, join if you can and help support the whole of THI but if you either can't or just do not wish to at least give AJ the respect he deserves and not steal his stuff and run to some other site with it. Respect IC as well by not doing the same to them.
OK. Sorry to yell at you.

If anyone believes that our staff will be able to turn Jalen in to bacot, I have some really bad news for them, it ain't gonna happen! Bacot was simply able to do things Jalen nor Jwit will EVER be able to do. But the good news is Jalen and JWit can each do things that bacot could not do.
Exactly. We all want a rim protector/rebound vaccuum who parks himself under the net, because we are used to that. But it isn't the only way to win.

Not that I'm saying it wouldn't be nice to have a rim protector/rebound vaccuum.

To be clear, Dave Chapelle is not who I thought he might be. I would not insult someone by calling them that person. Love to hate does describe who I suspected though!

My duke bud agrees pretty much with you on Malouch and Ndongo, got to tell ya, the thought of UNC having to face Brown at 6'8" and Gillis at 6'6" does not exactly frighten me! LOL
That would be better for us - since it would probably mean Duke's freshman bigs aren't ready for prime time.

Hey Nate, pardon me but I want to clear something up. You and I have a pretty long history of disagreement but as I have shared many times I actually enjoy arguing with you. I thought everyone knew but have seen some posts over the last couple days where folks were wondering about you.

A few weeks back, I actually did a diss toward you that I actually do regret and would ask your forgiveness for it, I publicly expressed that I thought you were the dave Chappell poster knowing you are better than that. To your credit, you are not hiding, you publicly shared who you were and that you were going by this screen name as opposed to the ole SJung we all know and love, at times love to hate ;). I just wanted to clear the air on something I thought everyone knew but seems they didn't.
We have a number of good posters - guys who offer good info and can discuss things knowledgeably. That makes this a good board. Some of them also seem to get into pissing contests a good bit.

Now I don't mind watching a good pissing contest now and then. I always have popcorn. But some of these go on waaay too long.

THR needs some sort of "Pissing Contest Alert" button.

4slucv.jpg

• Haha
I said in a post today, may have been yesterday, that we really only have 2 big men right now until someone in the portal commits but that isn't totally accurate. IN addition to Jalen and JWit, we do still have High and Brown. I am just not really expecting much from either next season, I really need to see High's frame start filling out before I can tell if he can help us or not. I see them both as it will be a Jr season before we really see what they have, will they stay around that long, hard call. Outside possibility that High could begin to show some game maybe later next season but in no way would I bet on it.

Norchad Omier from Miami entering the portal. Gave us trouble in both games. Undersized post player but could be a solid addition
Perfect replacement for Ingram. Don't know if he has much outside game, since Miami didn't use him that way. But a powerful player who I'd love to add to the family.

ETA: Turns out he does have a decent 3-point game. 35.3% on 68 attempts last season. I didn't realize Larranaga let him out of the box that much.

Last edited:
Norchad Omier from Miami entering the portal. Gave us trouble in both games. Undersized post player but could be a solid addition
Now THIS is MY GUY, the ONLY 5 guy in the portal I have wanted more than Amouri and have shared that several times. I don't think there is a guy in the portal or that may enter the portal I want more and there is another big name that is likely to drop very soon. JUMP on him hard Hubert because that kid's phone will be ringing off the hook!

Now THIS is MY GUY, the ONLY 5 guy in the portal I have wanted more than Amouri and have shared that several times. I don't think there is a guy in the portal or that may enter the portal I want more and there is another big name that is likely to drop very soon. JUMP on him hard Hubert because that kid's phone will be ringing off the hook!
Great player and tough as nails. But man it feels like we need to get longer.

That guy who is not yet entered the portal would be the hands down, no question, no-brainer first pick for me.

Norchad Omier or Abou Thiero? Which one would you pick.

Thiero is said to have big upside, but he isn't there yet. Omier is already there.

If Thiero blossoms as people expect, both players will only be around for a year.

Yep, grab him. Fast.

And if Harrison comes back, I still want him. Opposing teams will be finding reasons to forfeit rather than face that.

Perfect replacement for Ingram. Don't know if he has much outside game, since Miami didn't use him that way. But a powerful player who I'd love to add to the family.
But he isn't really under sized, no he isn't as long as some but those wider shoulders and that amazing strength he neutralizes height and he gets up quickly, really good second leaper. Make the call Hubert, make the call!

Norchad Omier or Abou Thiero? Which one would you pick.

Thiero is said to have big upside, but he isn't there yet. Omier is already there.

If Thiero blossoms as people expect, both players will only be around for a year.
I know this has to be a trick question, it is right? ;)

KM and PN will play, but we we will see how their age and experience bring value...i think they will fine and welcomed additions..as does Washington and withers..LOL...=)
...seriously though right now Malauch/Pat/Brown/Gillis vs Washington/Withers/High/Brown...we'll see

Are we actual suitors for Peja Stojakovics kid? I see he is down Ato UNC, Kentucky and Cal

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT