ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

This is what I was referring too when I said he was a first round projection. Where he goes doesn't matter in terms of him coming back or not though. He'll lose his eligibility when he gets drafted.
I did go back and look over 5 current mocks from 5 of the more reputable sites. I looked at bleacher report who did have him at 27 overall. 1st I've seen.

CBS, Sports Illustrated, NBA.com, and one other I forget at the moment. Two of the sites only gave 1st round, and he was not named in either. The other 2 did both rounds. 1 had him at 39 overall mid second, the other 47 overall low 2nd.

I agree, highly unlikely it matters anyway, he would have to pull out prior to the draft, and most think he is set even with a probable 2nd round grade.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I don't think there's a chance of that happening since he's got first round projections.

Side note: if he doesn't pull then there's no chance he comes back since you lose eligibility once you're drafted.
So he'd have to pull out before the draft? When is that? My feeble brain is saying 5/29 is the deadline to withdraw.

No... just seemed like it's been "a while", and no fish in the net, yet. I don't have any inside info. I just saw where Kansas had been gobbling-up players left and right. The dookies are losing players left and right!

I would have thought that the Heels' staff would have bagged someone by now, that's all.
Hope you enjoyed that fish dinner !

• Haha
Should we be holding onto a scholarship in case Ingram pulls out of the draft down the road? Or is that never going to happen?
I don't think you will see Ingram pulling out of the draft, look no further than Hubert's full court press on Therio to confirm that. Looks to me like we are looking to bring in 2 more from the portal and call it a day.

I don't think you will see Ingram pulling out of the draft, look no further than Hubert's full court press on Therio to confirm that. Looks to me like we are looking to bring in 2 more from the portal and call it a day.
Unless I counted wrong, if we pull 2 more from the portal, we'll have 12 scholarship players. Am I forgetting anyone?

Do any of our current players and recruits reconsider? I mean how much PT will the other 7 guys get if we pull 3 starters from the portal?

I'd hate to see another Wilcher event among our frosh. And I'd hate to see another Kessler event among our returning guys.

PlayerPGSGSFPFCTotal
Cadeau30--------30
RJ--30------30
Cade----30----30
Thiero------30--30
Omoruyi--------3030
PT Left101010101050

The goal is for no one to average 30 mins per game. Remember the 2005 championship team? Only one guy averaged over 27 mins per game.

If we have 5 guys averaging 30+ mins per game, then our bench players were underperforming.

I look at next year's potential roster and RJ Davis is the only guy I see that is going to be guaranteed heavy minutes. Everyone else is going to have to fight to earn their minutes. We'll probably see a lot of experimenting with different lineups too.

The goal is for no one to average 30 mins per game. Remember the 2005 championship team? Only one guy averaged over 27 mins per game.

If we have 5 guys averaging 30+ mins per game, then our bench players were underperforming.

I look at next year's potential roster and RJ Davis is the only guy I see that is going to be guaranteed heavy minutes. Everyone else is going to have to fight to earn their minutes. We'll probably see a lot of experimenting with different lineups too.
After watching RJ wear down every year, I really hope his last year will see him getting a bit more rest. Just a few minutes per game. Will that actually work? Who knows? But I'd like to give it a try.

After watching RJ wear down every year, I really hope his last year will see him getting a bit more rest. Just a few minutes per game. Will that actually work? Who knows? But I'd like to give it a try.
I think that will all come down to how well EC, Seth, Captain Jack and Drake shoot. We are going to need to be able to score without RJ on the floor.

Unless I counted wrong, if we pull 2 more from the portal, we'll have 12 scholarship players. Am I forgetting anyone?

Do any of our current players and recruits reconsider? I mean how much PT will the other 7 guys get if we pull 3 starters from the portal?

I'd hate to see another Wilcher event among our frosh. And I'd hate to see another Kessler event among our returning guys.

PlayerPGSGSFPFCTotal
Cadeau30--------30
RJ--30------30
Cade----30----30
Thiero------30--30
Omoruyi--------3030
PT Left101010101050
We are not going over 12 scholarships. It was 11 last year. And yes, we could still lose a player we are currently counting a scholarship for. This is 2024😒

Hopefully, the help from the portal will help get RJ some rest and remove some pressure off of him too. Seth working on his handle as well as shooting will also help RJ. Seth backing up 1&2 gives him the minutes he needs and allows us to have RJ in score first mode all game!

Vladislav Goldin to Michigan, as expected. High-rated center, following his coach. I was thinking maybe he'd look around at other schools after Michigan signed Wolf.

Reactions: ChapelHeeled

PlayerPGSGSFPFCTotal
Cadeau30--------30
RJ--30------30
Cade----30----30
Thiero------30--30
Omoruyi--------3030
PT Left101010101050
Let's work with your assume that we get Omouryi and Therio, Cliff would start, lets as well go with the popular belief that I do NOT agree with that Jalen cannot or does not play the 4, for this discuss lets keep him as the back up 5. That means you have JWit, Therio, High all looking for minutes at the 4. 2 of those guys consider themselves to be starter level guys, the 3rd is wondering when his promised chance to play comes? God forbid we do the smart thing, my opinion, by starting Jalen at the 4.

The reality, because the 4 and the 5 have a lot of interchangeability you need to go in to any season with at least 3 quality big men and pray you do not lose one of them. Pretty much every coach wants 4, which helps in practice and allows you to with stand injury or foul issues. Problem with this is a program like UNC will always have big time 4s and 5s and those guys want all the minutes they can get. What that does is it dramatically limits that 4th guys minutes, Jalen was the 4th guy this past season, he and JWit seemed to share that role from one game to the next. With Cliff, Jalen, Jwit, and Therio, who takes the limited minutes slot, all 4 expect at least starter quality minutes, mid teens and up and we have not added the center or his back up in yet? For 4 spots that is what 8 guys including Brown for 4 even decent front court minute spots and one of those less than 10mins a game?

If you are JWit, would you see your minutes drop from last season and stay? If you are High, how would you take that news, that you are going to be lucky to get the handful of minutes you got last season? Brown, he should look hard at a red shirt. Point is, someone will leave and I would suspect that to be either if not both JWit and High.

The minutes watch is largely a myth. The 2009 team had 3 players averaging 29.9 MPG or more, and Danny Green averaged 27.4 MPG. The 2017 team had 2 guys averaging over 30 MPG.

For me, the goal is for your starters to be able to play 33+ MPG in the NCAA Tournament. That's usually how it ends up working out. If that means limiting everyone's minutes in the regular season, then fine. But the minutes stuff has become a weird infatuation on this board IMO.

UConn played 3 guys over 30 MPG/game this season. Donovan Clingan physically can't so he didn't. So 3 of their 4 starters capable of big minutes played over that 30-minute threshold. Purdue had 2 guys play over 30 MPG and Lance Jones played over 30 MPG from January 1 forward.

- When Kansas won it all last, 3 guys averaged at least 29.4 minutes/game and 2 averaged over 34.0 MPG.
- Baylor averaged 3 players with over 30.0 MPG in 2021
- Virginia had 3 players with over 30.0 MPG in 2020
- Villanova had 2 players over 30.0 MPG, 4 players over 29.0 MPG, and Donte Divicenzo averaged 29.3 MPG despite starting 10 games

The last National Champion to play at most 1 player over 30 MPG was 2010-11 UConn. And Kemba played 37 MPG that season, lol. You have to go back to the 2000's for teams that consistently won despite playing only one player over 30 MPG (UNC, Kansas, Florida).

The recent trend nationally is the best teams play their bench less, not more. This might be a preference. But no indication playing your starters fewer minutes leads to any kind of success in March.

The minutes watch is largely a myth. The 2009 team had 3 players averaging 29.9 MPG or more, and Danny Green averaged 27.4 MPG. The 2017 team had 2 guys averaging over 30 MPG.

For me, the goal is for your starters to be able to play 33+ MPG in the NCAA Tournament. That's usually how it ends up working out. If that means limiting everyone's minutes in the regular season, then fine. But the minutes stuff has become a weird infatuation on this board IMO.

UConn played 3 guys over 30 MPG/game this season. Donovan Clingan physically can't so he didn't. So 3 of their 4 starters capable of big minutes played over that 30-minute threshold. Purdue had 2 guys play over 30 MPG and Lance Jones played over 30 MPG from January 1 forward.

- When Kansas won it all last, 3 guys averaged at least 29.4 minutes/game and 2 averaged over 34.0 MPG.
- Baylor averaged 3 players with over 30.0 MPG in 2021
- Virginia had 3 players with over 30.0 MPG in 2020
- Villanova had 2 players over 30.0 MPG, 4 players over 29.0 MPG, and Donte Divicenzo averaged 29.3 MPG despite starting 10 games

The last National Champion to play at most 1 player over 30 MPG was 2010-11 UConn. And Kemba played 37 MPG that season, lol. You have to go back to the 2000's for teams that consistently won despite playing only one player over 30 MPG (UNC, Kansas, Florida).

The recent trend nationally is the best teams play their bench less, not more. This might be a preference. But no indication playing your starters fewer minutes leads to any kind of success in March.

Good analysis. From my standpoint, in addition to cutting down on your starters’ wear and tear, playing the bench more leads to guys sticking around, which provides continuity and decreases the headache of having to fill out a new roster every 9 months. Especially in the days of NIL where guys like Tyler Nickel and other role players can make more loot with starting spots, trying to bring guys up through your program are difficult. And while there’s no data yet on roster turnover and how it affects March performance over time, logic would suggest that programs that at least keep a foundation from year to year are going to perform better.

Let's work with your assume that we get Omouryi and Therio, Cliff would start, lets as well go with the popular belief that I do NOT agree with that Jalen cannot or does not play the 4, for this discuss lets keep him as the back up 5. That means you have JWit, Therio, High all looking for minutes at the 4. 2 of those guys consider themselves to be starter level guys, the 3rd is wondering when his promised chance to play comes? God forbid we do the smart thing, my opinion, by starting Jalen at the 4.

The reality, because the 4 and the 5 have a lot of interchangeability you need to go in to any season with at least 3 quality big men and pray you do not lose one of them. Pretty much every coach wants 4, which helps in practice and allows you to with stand injury or foul issues. Problem with this is a program like UNC will always have big time 4s and 5s and those guys want all the minutes they can get. What that does is it dramatically limits that 4th guys minutes, Jalen was the 4th guy this past season, he and JWit seemed to share that role from one game to the next. With Cliff, Jalen, Jwit, and Therio, who takes the limited minutes slot, all 4 expect at least starter quality minutes, mid teens and up and we have not added the center or his back up in yet? For 4 spots that is what 8 guys including Brown for 4 even decent front court minute spots and one of those less than 10mins a game?

If you are JWit, would you see your minutes drop from last season and stay? If you are High, how would you take that news, that you are going to be lucky to get the handful of minutes you got last season? Brown, he should look hard at a red shirt. Point is, someone will leave and I would suspect that to be either if not both JWit and High.
I like your analysis but I seriously doubt any of Tyson, Thiero or Omoruyi join us to come off the bench. Sure, stuff happens, and maybe one of them loses that presumptive starting role during the season. But they are coming here to start. They have other good schools who will promise them that. The money would have to be awfully good for any of them to take a bench role. And the way people talk, we aren't as deep pockets or up front with money as some other big name schools.

Maybe our portal guys will only play 25 mpg. In which case that leaves an extra 15 minutes of PT for the likes of JWit, JWash and who knows at SF. That could work pretty well. But will that happen?

We thought Hubert would move away from Iron Man last season. And he did a very tiny amount. But if that last game confirmed anything, it's that Hubert very quickly shifts to Iron Man if he loses even a smidgen of trust in a player.

UConn played 3 guys over 30 MPG/game this season. Donovan Clingan physically can't so he didn't.
Good example.

The issue isn't how many minutes they can play. Lots of them can play 35+ minutes. The question is how many minutes they can play well. The precise number isn't magic.

Nor is it necessarily a question of how good a player is. Some players run out of gas sooner than others. Might be best on team, but routinely hits a wall at 23 minutes. Others never need a break.

Reactions: Heelicious
Good example.

The issue isn't how many minutes they can play. Lots of them can play 35+ minutes. The question is how many minutes they can play well. The precise number isn't magic.

Nor is it necessarily a question of how good a player is. Some players run out of gas sooner than others. Might be best on team, but routinely hits a wall at 23 minutes. Others never need a break.
The point is there isn't a magic number and there isn't a precise number.

And it's absolutely a question of how good a player is, lol. The better quality you have off the bench, or if your starters aren't much better than the bench, that absolutely has an impact on playing time and probably has the biggest impact.

If Seth improves his offense and can be a legit PG2, then he will play more minutes, thus RJ won't have to play 35 minutes. If Seth doesn't improve and we struggle offensively with him on the court, then the starters will play more. There's no magic to it. The magic is to play better.

Also, I wonder why other high volume minute teams don't wear down. Kemba Walker played 37 MPG the year they won the title and I think UConn had to win 4 games in 4 nights in the Big East Tournament to get into the tournament. Baylor played a 6-7 man rotation and rode their starters on their way to a ring. That Kentucky team that won the 2012 title... 4 starters averaged over 30 MPG and a 5th averaged 29.3 MPG. That team played 40 games that year.

Curious when UNC players wear out, it's blamed on coaches not playing the bench when a heavier minute load doesn't necessarily affect others.

The point is there isn't a magic number and there isn't a precise number.

And it's absolutely a question of how good a player is, lol. The better quality you have off the bench, or if your starters aren't much better than the bench, that absolutely has an impact on playing time and probably has the biggest impact.

If Seth improves his offense and can be a legit PG2, then he will play more minutes, thus RJ won't have to play 35 minutes. If Seth doesn't improve and we struggle offensively with him on the court, then the starters will play more. There's no magic to it. The magic is to play better.

Also, I wonder why other high volume minute teams don't wear down. Kemba Walker played 37 MPG the year they won the title and I think UConn had to win 4 games in 4 nights in the Big East Tournament to get into the tournament. Baylor played a 6-7 man rotation and rode their starters on their way to a ring. That Kentucky team that won the 2012 title... 4 starters averaged over 30 MPG and a 5th averaged 29.3 MPG. That team played 40 games that year.

Curious when UNC players wear out, it's blamed on coaches not playing the bench when a heavier minute load doesn't necessarily affect others.
Great point. They are young 20 year olds. I’ve never understood the worn out excuse. Plenty of time between games. And in tournament situations everyone is playing the same amount if you keep winning. There is some luck involved in winning it all. We were unlucky a couple years ago. The way the ball bounces but a lot of excuses have been made for it. Fatigue, rjs not a true pg lol, mondo can’t get it done lol etc…. It takes a lot ofcthings coming together at times. Even for the best teams.

Jonas Aidoo just got crystal balled to Arkansas by Branham at 247 and Jamie Shaw at On3. Sounds like he won't be visiting UNC.

It all comes down to Omoruyi, who is scheduled to visit UNC in a couple days. He's currently on a visit to Alabama. FWIW Kentucky center transfer Ugonna Onyenso has been crystal balled to Bama by Jamie Shaw and Joe Tipton.

Good analysis. From my standpoint, in addition to cutting down on your starters’ wear and tear, playing the bench more leads to guys sticking around, which provides continuity and decreases the headache of having to fill out a new roster every 9 months. Especially in the days of NIL where guys like Tyler Nickel and other role players can make more loot with starting spots, trying to bring guys up through your program are difficult. And while there’s no data yet on roster turnover and how it affects March performance over time, logic would suggest that programs that at least keep a foundation from year to year are going to perform better.
I guess that remains to be seen? I honestly have no idea. I'm taking more of the year-to-year approach though.

The RJ will play less than 30 minutes cracks me up. Heard some of it going into this year. If healthy the returning Jerry West award winner at 2 guard, 5th year senior, is going to play comfortably over 30 minutes per.

The RJ will play less than 30 minutes cracks me up. Heard some of it going into this year. If healthy the returning Jerry West award winner at 2 guard, 5th year senior, is going to play comfortably over 30 minutes per.
Dtodd I don’t know why you have to make since. lol

I like your analysis but I seriously doubt any of Tyson, Thiero or Omoruyi join us to come off the bench. Sure, stuff happens, and maybe one of them loses that presumptive starting role during the season. But they are coming here to start. They have other good schools who will promise them that. The money would have to be awfully good for any of them to take a bench role. And the way people talk, we aren't as deep pockets or up front with money as some other big name schools.

Maybe our portal guys will only play 25 mpg. In which case that leaves an extra 15 minutes of PT for the likes of JWit, JWash and who knows at SF. That could work pretty well. But will that happen?

We thought Hubert would move away from Iron Man last season. And he did a very tiny amount. But if that last game confirmed anything, it's that Hubert very quickly shifts to Iron Man if he loses even a smidgen of trust in a player.
Think Paxon came to us last season thinking he was coming off the bench, no, he thought he would start and then we added guys. Be sure to say this, Omouryi commits to us he will start, Tyson very likely to start to replace Ryan, at least early, Therio, would very likely start but the cost I think would be JWit to the portal, I just think THerio is Jwit part II, never understood why we would recruit him when we have JWit?

Yeah, I just saw that. I thought Baylor was paying him $1.5 million.

Looks like Calipari hasn't lost his "touch" after all.
When you see it written-out like that... it really kinda makes the "college sport" seem less appealing. I realize that NIL is a thing. But, when it becomes just a contract/paycheck, it really gut-punches the whole appreciation for college sports somehow. Of course, it's not like it hasn't always been laden with perks and gifts. Now, it's just legal.

We ought to look at this guy as an Ingram replacement. He shot 34% from 3, and made 1 per game. Harrison Ingram's final season at Stanford he shot 32% from 3, and made 1.1 per game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT