ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

When you have Tyson and Walmart money you gonna role out some cash. Good get for arky
Arky will soon learn the same lesson Ky fans had to learn the hard way. Cal will bring in talent and he does not care what he has to do to bring that talent in. Problem is unless he has 3 first round draft picks om his roster he can't coach them, they are literally on their own. Cal got away with back room deals for $$$ before NIL, now everyone is doing that out in the open, so what extra advantage can Cal now find?

Seems like $$$ is the most important information for some of these guys in their recruiting. I think it’s just a bidding war at this point.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Arky will soon learn the same lesson Ky fans had to learn the hard way. Cal will bring in talent and he does not care what he has to do to bring that talent in. Problem is unless he has 3 first round draft picks om his roster he can't coach them, they are literally on their own. Cal got away with back room deals for $$$ before NIL, now everyone is doing that out in the open, so what extra advantage can Cal now find?
I don’t think he’s a great coach either but with a few of these guys he’s bringing in, they are gonna automatically be upper class-men, something he’s struggled to keep. He can recruit for sure and the money he has now “legally” can be dangerous.

Reactions: DSouthr
I don’t think he’s a great coach either but with a few of these guys he’s bringing in, they are gonna automatically be upper class-men, something he’s struggled to keep. He can recruit for sure and the money he has now “legally” can be dangerous.
Bama, they will win some games where they can out talent to opposition but the playing field is much more level now, now he can get some but he isn't going to get them all. They may start out winning more than Arky is used to but soon after they will see what Ky fans began to see, Calipari is a terrible coach.

I'd like to offer you a job that pays you a fraction of what you currently make, but it's super prestigious. Will you be willing to make way less money to work for this legendary company?
Sure if it’s only one year and gives me an opportunity next year to move up to the best company with gobs of money they will pay me.

Reactions: DaSheed
I'd like to offer you a job that pays you a fraction of what you currently make, but it's super prestigious. Will you be willing to make way less money to work for this legendary company?
What's the company?
Sure if it’s only one year and gives me an opportunity next year to move up to the best company with gobs of money they will pay me.

giphy.gif

The thing is most of these kids are not playing in the NBA…They will be lucky to play overseas…So 1.5 million is the most money they will ever make in a year for their life…It basically sets them up to succeed..Now if they do or don’t it’s on them but they have a head start on life…Wish somebody would have spotted me a 1.5 million at 21 years of age for what not even a years worth of work…

While I respect the right to protest, if these protesters and counter-protesters ruin Omoruyi's visit I am going to personally go down there and start farting on all of them. After a large meal of Chipotle.

I'd be satisfied with Obosor or Omier if we strike out on Cliff.. yes smaller guys height wise but can bang down low with the best of them. Better than nothing.

The thing is most of these kids are not playing in the NBA…They will be lucky to play overseas…So 1.5 million is the most money they will ever make in a year for their life…It basically sets them up to succeed..Now if they do or don’t it’s on them but they have a head start on life…Wish somebody would have spotted me a 1.5 million at 21 years of age for what not even a years worth of work…
My handy calculator says that taking that 1.5 million and investing it for 30 years at 5% interest would yield you $6,482,913.56.
I have to admit that may even be worth playing for 1 year not at your dream school

I'd be satisfied with Obosor or Omier if we strike out on Cliff.. yes smaller guys height wise but can bang down low with the best of them. Better than nothing.
Omier entered the portal with "do not contact" tag, which typically means someone tampered with him and convinced him to enter the portal to transfer to their school.

I was hoping we'd pursue Osobor. He seemed all but sealed to UK until they just landed 3 bigs in the past week. He has a few visits set up over the next 10 days, including one to Louisville. His family flew in from overseas to help him make a decision. So if we were going to get involved it would have to be soon. He scheduled all these visits in a short window so his family could be there.

My handy calculator says that taking that 1.5 million and investing it for 30 years at 5% interest would yield you $6,482,913.56.
I have to admit that may even be worth playing for 1 year not at your dream school
Exactly…I don’t blame them 1 bit…Get as much as you can right now…Look at Mondo and what he made at UNC…Guy got paid and a good chance Basketball is not in his future…I just wish these schools would put these kids in classes and educate them on how not to screw it up…

Exactly…I don’t blame them 1 bit…Get as much as you can right now…Look at Mondo and what he made at UNC…Guy got paid and a good chance Basketball is not in his future…I just wish these schools would put these kids in classes and educate them on how not to screw it up…
Yes, there should be a University rule that if we get you NIL money you must take and pass 2 economic classes.

While I respect the right to protest, if these protesters and counter-protesters ruin Omoruyi's visit I am going to personally go down there and start farting on all of them. After a large meal of Chipotle.
I doubt he will be taken to see this…Plus that has been happening on College Campuses since the 60s nothing new…They have that right as long as they act like they have some sense…

Kind of a comboforward like Ingram. There's a number of good players who could start at the 4 for us who entered the portal today. Kaluma, Coleman Hawkins, JT Toppin.
I'm very familiar with Hawkins since high school. 6'10 very slim, but finally added and held some weight this past season. He also finally shot the 3 pretty well. He has a high motor, ( a bit too much with officials calls at times), but is skilled. More a three than a 4 to me.

He's not a post presence, but can score on the block with fade away, can create, drive, pass etc. I like him a lot, but not sure if we are looking for another lean perimeter type.

He is probably staying in the draft though, so probably a moot point for teams with interest.

Last edited:
Yes, there should be a University rule that if we get you NIL money you must take and pass 2 economic classes.

I’d put the over/under line at 20% of college athletes investing any of their NIL money. And I’d put the over/under line at .001% for those investing all of their NIL money. And I agree, in this new era, there should be mandatory financial literacy and prep classes for college athletes to take advantage of NIL. If they do not take the courses, they should be ineligible. That seems like a reasonable and realistic suggestion. Often, that kind of money in the hands of the ill prepared is probably worse than if they hadn’t gotten it to begin with.

As I understand it, we're Omoruyi's last visit. If our competition is only Alabama, Kansas State and Georgetown, shouldn't we have the edge? I mean they're not chopped liver, but we're Carolina! Alabama has done well under Oates. Are they our main competition?

Meanwhile, have we moved past Thiero, or is something happening in the background?

Personally, I'd be pleased to land Omoruyi and take a break from the portal. Thiero would be a nice addition, but I don't feel that we really need him. With Omoruyi but without Thiero I think we have a really nice squad with, strong starters and depth at every spot.

As I understand it, we're Omoruyi's last visit. If our competition is only Alabama, Kansas State and Georgetown, shouldn't we have the edge? I mean they're not chopped liver, but we're Carolina! Alabama has done well under Oates. Are they our main competition?

Meanwhile, have we moved past Thiero, or is something happening in the background?

Personally, I'd be pleased to land Omoruyi and take a break from the portal. Thiero would be a nice addition, but I don't feel that we really need him. With Omoruyi but without Thiero I think we have a really nice squad with, strong starters and depth at every spot.
Alabama has a top freshman Center coming and just signed the Kentucky Center yesterday. Kansas State also signed a center yesterday so that should leave us versus Georgetown. Go get him coach!

Bama beat Carolina for Jarin Stevenson last year. Stevenson lived near UNC his whole life and his mom played basketball for UNC in the 90s.

Kansas State has done very well in transfer recruiting under Coach Tang.

We don't know what Omoruyi is looking for. In the NIL era we can't just assume the Blue Blood is going to win. I'm glad we get the last visit. I hope the rumors of UK's transfer center Onyenso picking Alabama come to fruition and it eliminates Alabama from this recruitment.

What does that have to do with coming to UNC specifically? Pretty hard to argue that you have to come to any blueblood, much less this one, to have a better shot to be a high draft pick. UNC has had 1 top 10 pick since Harrison Barnes in 2012 and only a handful of starting NBA players drafted at all.

UGH this info is misleading at best! We currently have 10 players in the NBA and 8 of them have started since 2012. So UNC has put starters on almost 1/3 of all teams since then and if you expand the years, it is over 100. That is more than a handful and is at least as good as almost all other teams! BUT I agree that it really doesn't matter where you go if you are simply concerned with getting into the NBA. BUT if you want the advice, support, and assistance for your entire career, there is a difference!

Reactions: al would
Bama beat Carolina for Jarin Stevenson last year. Stevenson lived near UNC his whole life and his mom played basketball for UNC in the 90s.

Kansas State has done very well in transfer recruiting under Coach Tang.

We don't know what Omoruyi is looking for. In the NIL era we can't just assume the Blue Blood is going to win. I'm glad we get the last visit. I hope the rumors of UK's transfer center Onyenso picking Alabama come to fruition and it eliminates Alabama from this recruitment.
Just reading into it, looks like each team has a similar issue here.

UNC has a hole to fill w Bacot but have JWash
Bama has a hole to fill w Pringle but will be getting Sherrell and could get the UK C.

KSU and GTown seem to just be a mess and have numerous needs.

I do think this will come down to a bidding war of some kind but do have to believe it will be between Hub & Oats.

I’ll give the slightest lead to us off bias and getting the last visit. We’re also not looking at anyone else for this position right now.

UGH this info is misleading at best! We currently have 10 players in the NBA and 8 of them have started since 2012. So UNC has put starters on almost 1/3 of all teams since then and if you expand the years, it is over 100. That is more than a handful and is at least as good as almost all other teams! BUT I agree that it really doesn't matter where you go if you are simply concerned with getting into the NBA. BUT if you want the advice, support, and assistance for your entire career, there is a difference!
100% true...

• Love
We need a 4 man no matter if we get Cliff or not.. Unless Hubert knows he's getting Cliff and Thiero, I do not feel good about this. There is nobody left in the portal.

Even if we get nobody, we lack MAJOR depth down low.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT