2. Big O
3. CH & Big O
4. Play with what we have

Matter of fact my wish list is now:

1. C. Hawkins
2. Big O
3. CH & Big O
4. Play with what we have
Hawkins is most likely staying in the NBA draft.

So many good PFs entered the portal, it would be absurd to just stay with what we have and sit on 3 open scholarships.

Reactions: UNC '92
Hawkins is most likely staying in the NBA draft.

So many good PFs entered the portal, it would be absurd to just stay with what we have and sit on 3 open scholarships.

Yeah, if we go fishing we will land a quality 4.

Without Cliff there’s basically that kid from Utah State ( his first name is Great) and then a huge dropoff

Dang, Now I want Hawkins AND Big O!
There are several top PFs still available, if we decide we're willing to go that route. A few of them can slide to the post, too.

I don't know why we haven't heard much about Osobor, for example. EarlY in this video he looks like a shorter Armando who is more comfortable defending away from the basket and has decent passing chops.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
According to On3...

20 of the top 25 PGs are gone (2 of the top 5 left)
20 of the top 25 SGs are gone (1 of the top 5 left)
14 of the top 25 SFs are gone (3 of the top 5 left)
19 of the top 25 PFs are gone (3 of the top 5 left)
18 of the top 25 Cs are gone (1 of the top 5 left)

Only 373 of the total 1084 portal entrants are gone.

The cream goes fast, but a few of the best are taking their time.

Last edited:
Yeah, if we go fishing we will land a quality 4.

Without Cliff there’s basically that kid from Utah State ( his first name is Great) and then a huge dropoff
My concern with Great Osobor (and Omier) is that they are both 6'8 centers. Now granted, they are both big bodies and very good. But I do worry about a 6'8 Center against seven footers.

My concern with Great Osobor (and Omier) is that they are both 6'8 centers. Now granted, they are both big bodies and very good. But I do worry about a 6'8 Center against seven footers.
I do too but he's better than nothing. And some guys play a lot bigger than their size. He should be better offensively against bigger center. Should be able to get around them easier, but can still post up if needed.

But I do worry about a 6'8 Center against seven footers.
I worried the same about our last center. I'm thinking length, build and athleticism may mean more than just the height metric but I surely miss the Zeller/Montross type centers UNC used to have. Especially with coach gut working with the bigs. UNC has produced some really good college centers !!

Reactions: NorCalTarheel
I worried the same about our last center. I'm thinking length, build and athleticism may mean more than just the height metric but I surely miss the Zeller/Montross type centers UNC used to have. Especially with coach gut working with the bigs. UNC has produced some really good college centers !!
Yeah I've seen Osobor dunk stuff that Bacot never would. Height doesn't mean that much.

Reactions: al would
According to On3...

20 of the top 25 PGs are gone (2 of the top 5 left)
20 of the top 25 SGs are gone (1 of the top 5 left)
14 of the top 25 SFs are gone (3 of the top 5 left)
19 of the top 25 PFs are gone (3 of the top 5 left)
18 of the top 25 Cs are gone (1 of the top 5 left)

Only 373 of the total 1084 portal entrants are gone.

The cream goes fast, but a few of the best are taking their time.
Who is the 1 of 5 top centers left?

That's when we bring Washington in.

Most games I'm starting Omoruyi and Omier (or Osobor) and bringing Washington and Withers off the bench for plenty of PT to keep everyone fresh or to deal with specific situations.

That's a kick-ass rotation.

By the way, we think of Omier as an inside bruiser, but he shoots well enough from deep to keep defenses honest. Pair him with a real center and who knows?

That's when we bring Washington in.

Most games I'm starting Omoruyi and Omier (or Osobor) and bringing Washington and Withers off the bench for plenty of PT to keep everyone fresh or to deal with specific situations.

That's a kick-ass rotation.

By the way, we think of Omier as an inside bruiser, but he shoots well enough from deep to keep defenses honest. Pair him with a real center and who knows?
I love the optimism but in reality I have not seen Carolina linked at all to Omier or Osobor. We went all in on Aidoo, then Cliff and Theiro and I don't think any of them are going to pan out (not for lack of effort on our part).

Omier has a do not contact which means he needs to contact us but I just saw he did not get invited to the NBA draft combine so now would be the time if it were going to happen. I see both of those guys as great Ingram replacements who could play in the paint but would still leave us very thin at the five.

For the umpteenth time, Omier entered the portal with a "do not contact tag." That generally means he already knows where he's going. Until a reliable reporter says otherwise, there is no reason to even discuss Norchad Omier and UNC.

Great Osobor is currently taking several official visits back to back while his family is in the country accompanying him. UNC is not on the visit list. UNC has not been reported to be recruiting him.

I see both of those guys as great Ingram replacements who could play in the paint but would still leave us very thin at the five.
Agreed. Yet for a while now a lot of folks have talked as though the only reason why Hubert has stuck with a strong man in the middle style is because he inherited a pretty good strong man in the middle. The implication being that he would actually like to move away from that mindset.

If there's any truth to that, and if we whiff on Omoruyi, he may get that chance. In which case, guys like Osobor, Omier or even a return of Ingram would fit.

I do not share the angst with lack of early portal signing. They got the shooter to replace Cormac, and hopefully they get their rim protecter this weekend. Finding a fit at the 4 would be a cherry on top.

Was not desperate, and a tough fit for someone coming in with limited if any years of eligibility left after. No one has left or was nudged out to make a clear route. I think the UNC portal has gone well under that makeup.

I do not share the angst with lack of early portal signing. They got the shooter to replace Cormac, and hopefully they get their rim protecter this weekend. Finding a fit at the 4 would be a cherry on top.

Was not desperate, and a tough fit for someone coming in with limited if any years of eligibility left after. No one has left or was nudged out to make a clear route. I think the UNC portal has gone well under that makeup.
No one left? No clear route?

Our starting PF and C left. Each averaged over 30 minutes per game specifically bc they didn't have quality backups. There are wide open starting spots at PF and C, with all the playing time a starter could possibly want, at UNC of all places.

9 miles down the road James looks like he will sign with dookie. And UNC pays one portal player.

Agreed. Yet for a while now a lot of folks have talked as though the only reason why Hubert has stuck with a strong man in the middle style is because he inherited a pretty good strong man in the middle. The implication being that he would actually like to move away from that mindset.

If there's any truth to that, and if we whiff on Omoruyi, he may get that chance. In which case, guys like Osobor, Omier or even a return of Ingram would fit.
First, Ingram is not coming back, we need to move on from that notion. I am not aware of our having any contact with Osobor and outside of some early whispers not mush if any contact with Omier, he seems consistently linked with St Johns.

You make a good point that you would think Hubert, by the approach he has seemed to embrace would be more drawn to a step out and shoot stretch 5. But his actions defy that, last season he played Jalen only 8mins a game and Bacot huge minutes, So he had a stretch 5 that he didn't use and fixture in the paint that he did. I look at the 5s he has gone hard for so far from this portal, Aidoo and Omouryi, definitely not stretch 5s, not even as mid range as Bacot? It looks more like he wants to replicate Bacot more than having been stuck with him?

Now yes, Osobor and Omier would fit as 5s, they may be shorter than most 5s but they have the girth and raw strength to neutralize length and they both get up quickly playing thru contact. You look at guys like Sean May, Meeks as 2 Tar Heel 5s that used their girth and raw strength to over come having less length, look at DJ Burns from the wolfies this past season.

Word is HI isnt coming back even if he goes undrafted.

Kid comes from a well off family and I think pursuing a dream is more important than money.

Even if he goes undrafted he will definitely be put on a g league squad. Which might even be preferable for him since he will have more control of where he lands. Who knows.

But the Harrison train has left the station and isnt coming back.

Other potential options, How about the Patterson kid that played as a freshman for cuse last season, 7'1" 220lbs. Ryan Mutombo, 6'11" 235. Josh Gray played last season for South Carolina, 7' 0" 255?

Hubert is definitely the right guy for the job. If you care about what Carolina basketball represents its a no brainer.

To me, the biggest issue is the mid 2010’s recruiting that has hurt us the most. During that time a lot of the top guys were worried the NCAA was going to punish UNC for the McCants debacle.

That and Harrison Barnes not turning in to a year in year out NBA all star.

UNC needs a signature pro in the NBA asap.

Ian or Drake NEED to go OAD and be a lottery pick. Personally I think thats the biggest issue UNC has.

Top kids are now going to Duke or following Cal because thats where the pros they know went.

Been a long time since Stackhouse/Sheed/Jamison/Carter.

Our last kid that went in the lottery was Coby White. If you’re a HS kid thats an eternity ago.

Word is HI isnt coming back even if he goes undrafted.

Kid comes from a well off family and I think pursuing a dream is more important than money.

Even if he goes undrafted he will definitely be put on a g league squad. Which might even be preferable for him since he will have more control of where he lands. Who knows.

But the Harrison train has left the station and isnt coming back.
If that’s the case then he should sign with an agent immediately. I get that Harrison is following his dream and I sure don’t pretend to know what is best for him but I still agree with the ol saying in that it’s not how fast you get to the NBA but how long you can stay in the NBA. I really thought with NIL Harrison would have comeback but as I said I sure don’t know what is best for him however whatever happens I will be cheering him on proudly going forward

I wouldn’t mind just adding another guy that can play the 2/3 spot with some size and can shoot…Let the 4 of Brown,Washington,Withers, and High man the 4 and 5 spot…

Hubert is definitely the right guy for the job. If you care about what Carolina basketball represents its a no brainer.

To me, the biggest issue is the mid 2010’s recruiting that has hurt us the most. During that time a lot of the top guys were worried the NCAA was going to punish UNC for the McCants debacle.

That and Harrison Barnes not turning in to a year in year out NBA all star.

UNC needs a signature pro in the NBA asap.

Ian or Drake NEED to go OAD and be a lottery pick. Personally I think thats the biggest issue UNC has.

Top kids are now going to Duke or following Cal because thats where the pros they know went.

Been a long time since Stackhouse/Sheed/Jamison/Carter.

Our last kid that went in the lottery was Coby White. If you’re a HS kid thats an eternity ago.
UNC can get Top guys now they just have to pay the money…It’s a reason kids are going to Bama and it’s not Oats…Football money is big…UNC has a choice to make if they want to compete at a top level in basketball…1 get out of the ACC…If not that do away with some sports that lose money…

These kids now want the bag they could care less who played where…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT