ADVERTISEMENT

24 points, 14 rebounds.................

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
That is what the 3 Basketeers that make up our center position did today

Yes I know it was Tulane and the competition will get tougher, but little by little these youngsters are gaining valuable minutes and experience. I really like their development and the rotation that RW seems to be settling in on..

Oh and BTW Mr Brob is a very nice player off the bench. I love his spark, his handle, skills defense and enthusiasm. Gonna be a fun year and a fellow by the name of Cam is just getting healthy again

Man I agree.....like the progress that we are already seeing from our youngsters....not the prettiest but they work hard, play hard and I am really liking the attitude they are showing......can you imagine if these fellas see the growth that Luke has shown....with our wings and guards we have committed the Tar Heel family is in good shape for years to come!!!

Some may not see it as much to celebrate since they're 3 * or whatever, but I say take it one step at a time and be glad they aren't as raw as some were predicting during the offseason. I set the bar low for them as freshmen, but they've done quite well. Can't wait to see how they look with another year or two under their belt.

They all seem able to run the court well, too. Not yet clear if they can run well AND catch the long hard pass under the rim. That's a skill they may need to learn. But at least they can get there.

I'm not saying I see them run hard and fast to get back all the time. Just that they run well. So, in theory, they can run hard and fast. We've had some players who, because of knees or weight or whatever, were limited running rim to rim. I think these guys will be good at it. Huff needs some work on his hands, but I don't think it will be a real problem. Just extra practice.

We have the ability to become an outstanding defensive team. With Joel, Kenny, and Theo setting the bar, we can have a very disruptive defensive team. Brandon and Seventh both look like they are going to add to that defense. Our bigs are slowly but surely learning to move their feet and defend without fouling. As that progresses, we can develop a suffocating defense.

I'm lovin' this team. Overlook us at your peril.

I love our bigs so far! They play very hard and are extremely coachable. They are learning quickly and don't seem to hang their heads after bad plays. Huff is absolutely ferocious on D and when going for rebounds! Did you see how intimidated the Waves looked inside? Love all 3 but peeps are really going to hate having to guard Manley in the near future!

I've also been impressed with their growth so far. And let's not forget about Platek. He's turning into a really nice player, especially on defense.

Reactions: Archer2
I think these bigs really have a chip on their shoulders, they definitely heard the chatter about them being "low ranked" and not as good as level of bigs we've had.

For me, I love how high Manley keeps the ball on his rebounds and how he smacks down on the ball, that's just stuff you just can't teach. Yesterday, that play where Brooks fed him in the low post for the And 1, he ran the floor really well and got right to the low block, established his position with his hands up and ready to receive the pass. I loved seeing the video of him putting in extra work after the game the other day. Hardwork Pays off!!
That leads to my next point, Brooks is a very good passer. We have seen it in his hi- low passes to Luke and most definetly with the one to Sterling on the And 1.
He looked more comfortable yesterday, I think he just needs to slow himself down a bit. The basketball IQ is there.
Everytime I watch Huff I am in awe of how big he is, and he's only a Freshman. His size was very difficult for Tulane yesterday and as he continues to develop it will only get more difficult for every team. And oh baby, the kid brings some serious thunder on those dunks.

Platek is definitely playing like a kid on a mission. After hearing that a coach doubted his ability to play at Carolina and how Coach Williams responded to that Coach, " He doesn't have to play for you, he has to play for me" will surely fire you up, knowing your coach has that confidence in you and basically told the other coach to eat it. The minutes he gives defensively keeps up with the intensity that our first unit brings, and I love the way he moves the ball on the offensive end. You saw it yesterday when he fed the post perfectly, forcing the defender to collapse leading him to be open for a 3 that he knocked down. Roy has said a lot of good things about him on the offensive end in practice, so I expect him to start giving us more on that end soon. Another skill of his that can't be taught is the way he hits the glass and finds someone to box out. On the offensive glass yesterday, he grabbed a board and put it back for an easy score. Having a guard, who is willing to bang down low for rebounds will only benefit us.

I said it another post the flashes of Jalek last game were exactly what he needed for his confidence. He is a very good passer and is taking a little more time because he's trying to learn the offense while also adjusting to the college game. He has a good head on his shoulders and a good mindset of taking things one step at a time. The star potential is there, we will all love it when he breaks out.

I'm loving this team!! Go Heels!!!

Last edited:
Well first of all i trust coach to develop these guys to their full potential better than any coach in the country possibly could. I believe with all my heart that by the time they leave here they will be excellent players worthy of starting on any team.

BUT

They are light yrs away from that right now. They are playing fine against inferior competition which honestly is better than i feared they would. But the msu game exposed them big time. Right now these guys dont have the skill set or certainly the experience to start or even get serious burn. But they have to. To their credit they work hard and dont seem to get frustrated. So it is what it is. They gonna struggle mightily though against legit front courts. Lets hope it doesnt correspond with games where we miss layups and ft’s and shoot 1-18 from 3.

I am very well pleased by what I have seen from our Bigs so far. Roy snagged 4 interior players with serious potential in this last class, proving once again that he is FAR better at evaluating talent than most coaches, much less most fans. Brooks and Manley are already well ahead of some of our previous (and beloved) lower ranked Big Men at comparable points in their careers. I agree with all of the positives listed above by various posters. Some of my personal favorite qualities are their hustle, deep desire to improve, coach-ability and team first attitudes.

i have no complaints with them so far considering their expectations coming in. i think when Cam comes back we'll have 4 solid scorers plus Jalek when he finally settles in and BRob looks like he could be a good scorer off the bench as well. im not gonna ask for 20/10 performances from the freshmen, just to defend the paint well and win the rebounding battle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT