ADVERTISEMENT

a/c unit fan no workey

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
Last nite was the first time this yr we had the central A/C come on, of course, no cold air. I think the system probably ran for a really long time until the middle of the nite when I realized we weren't cooling.

The outdoor compressor/condensor unit is humming/buzzing, but the fan isn't spinning. 30 yr old unit. I can push the blades on the fan with a stick and they rotate freely.

Question = What are the odds just replacing the fan motor is all that needs to be done? I'm wondering if it running so long midnite that other damage could've been done. Being so old, my fear is a full day of HVAC folks replacing everything to get it all up to code, and a big bill.

Problem is since you are like me and dont know what is wrong you could spend money chasing things and still not get it fixed. If you have a friend in the business that could look at it and give advice that is what I would suggest. Otherwise I would expect a big bill and be happy if it turns out to be something simple.

Reactions: blazers
Yeah, I saw that and it does seem like fan motor at a minimum is bummed.
I'm wondering if damage to condensor or compressor could have occurred since system was trying to blow for 6 hrs straight middle o night.

Last edited:
giphy-downsized-large.gif

30 years?????

feel fortunate it’s lasted this long...where do you live?
Raleigh. It's from 1987. Heater exchanger cracked within a yr of buying this place = new furnace, mostly covered by a 1 yr warranty. And the hotwater heater lasted 20 yrs when it started leaking rust and stuff from various places.

Don't make em like they used to

Flip the breaker to your HVAC unit, leave it off for 20-30 minutes then turn it back on. That’s about as far as my HVAC knowledge goes

Welp, a rodent had chewed up some wires inside the unit, hvac guy just had to rewire the fan with new wiring.

He said it was definitely older than 1987, it was the oldest unit he'd worked on his 30 yrs. Survive and advance!

• Wow
Reactions: gteeitup
Welp, a rodent had chewed up some wires inside the unit, hvac guy just had to rewire the fan with new wiring.

He said it was definitely older than 1987, it was the oldest unit he'd worked on his 30 yrs. Survive and advance!
this is why you don't seek and regard advice on a message board about your a/c system, unless you are conversing with an actual technician. And even then you might get a bum steer.

this is why you don't seek and regard advice on a message board about your a/c system, unless you are conversing with an actual technician. And even then you might get a bum steer.
Unless you are lazy, googling and trying a little crowd-sourcing thru multiple avenues makes sense when a service fee of $75 to 100 happens just for them stepping out of their truck at a scheduled time of anywhere between 8am and 5pm.

• Haha
Reactions: Heelicious
Unless you are lazy, googling and trying a little crowd-sourcing thru multiple avenues makes sense when a service fee of $75 to 100 happens just for them stepping out of their truck at a scheduled time of anywhere between 8am and 5pm.
not sure how you're missing the point you helped demonstrate. The advice you get on message boards is anywhere from downright worthless to downright dangerous, and is almost never on the money. Even the linked article is misleading. That's why there are service techs in service vans instead of Bhavesh on the internet fixing HVAC problems. Just engage a qualified service tech and stop trying to outwit a rodent. You'll lose every time.

The fee, BTW, is not just for them stepping out of the truck. You get mask and booties and all kinds of other shit for the money.

not sure how you're missing the point you helped demonstrate. The advice you get on message boards is anywhere from downright worthless to downright dangerous, and is almost never on the money. Even the linked article is misleading. That's why there are service techs in service vans instead of Bhavesh on the internet fixing HVAC problems. Just engage a qualified service tech and stop trying to outwit a rodent. You'll lose every time.

The fee, BTW, is not just for them stepping out of the truck. You get mask and booties and all kinds of other shit for the money.
Thinking twice (including crowd-sourcing, which is everything from your buddies to forums on racism) before calling for help is fast and free as long as you're judicious and can synthesize info.

And not lazy.

Also, maybe you misread the OP's simple question.

Last edited:
Thinking twice (including crowd-sourcing, which is everything from your buddies to forums on racism) before calling for help is fast and free as long as you're judicious and can synthesize info.

And not lazy.

Also, maybe you misread the OP's simple question.
"fast and free"
and again, worthless if not dangerous.

"
you're judicious and can synthesize info."
LOL. You synthesized a hungry rat.

What you are too obstinate to admit is that even if there is the sound advice you seek amongst all the crap, you don't have the wherewithal to tell the difference.

I'm not sure what I was supposed to get out of re-reading your question, but I can put your mind at ease about one thing...you don't have to worry about bringing old equipment up to code unless there is a safety concern that should be remedied.

"fast and free"
and again, worthless if not dangerous.

"
you're judicious and can synthesize info."
LOL. You synthesized a hungry rat.
From this thread nobody offered anything new.

As for worthless and dangerous, do you do anything diy without casting a broad net before jumping in?

From this thread nobody offered anything new.

As for worthless and dangerous, do you do anything diy without casting a broad net before jumping in?
do you read and comprehend before you open your piehole? I was paraphrasing my original quote, which clearly set those parameters as the extremes, with everything in between being included. And just as clearly, I referenced the helpful information as part of the included. Now you're just trying too hard.

the HVAC unit for our 2nd floor is 20 years old and the fan never starts up at the beginning of A/C season, i have to either WHOMP the top of the unit with a mallet OR use a yard stick to reach down thru the slats and help the fan start spinning. we're good to go all season after that. i suppose it just gets "stuck" over the 6 months of not being used.

the HVAC unit for our 2nd floor is 20 years old and the fan never starts up at the beginning of A/C season, i have to either WHOMP the top of the unit with a mallet OR use a yard stick to reach down thru the slats and help the fan start spinning. we're good to go all season after that. i suppose it just gets "stuck" over the 6 months of not being used.
If it will only start/keep spinning after a manual push then it could be a bad fan capacitor.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
If it will only start/keep spinning after a manual push then it could be a bad fan capacitor.
maybe, but i'll take 30 seconds of effort twice a year over a repair bill. especially since we'll be replacing the entire unit within the next 3 to 5 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT