ADVERTISEMENT

A Closer Look at Best Available Big Men in the Portal

the length of your post shows your insanity.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The guy gets outmuscled and falls down repeatedly in 8 minutes a game. Expecting him to survive 3 times that is insanity.

Your expectations are based on hope - not anything he has shown as capable of doing for long periods of time.

Get over yourself.
So now you proclaim to know my expectations and what they are based on? You would claim me insane for expressing my opinions?

Allow me to ask you an insane question, how is it in one post you say that you agree that Jalen deserves more minutes yet in this post all you speak of is his being out muscled and falling down a lot? If that is all you access Jalen capable of then why would you feel he deserves more minutes or even be on the team for that matter?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
the guy I keep coming back to is Omouri, I wanted Wolf and Omouri.
I'm still expecting Hubert to pull off a portal triumph. He has a pretty good track record, after all. But a lot of top players are being grabbed up, and I'm a worrier.

As I've mentioned before, by the end of this week last year, we already had Ingram, Cormac, Withers and Paxson. If the larder is still empty next week, I'll be in meltdown mode. It won't be pretty.

I'm really hoping for a quick commit from Tyson. But he's no PF or C. At best, he's a better shooting, lower rebounding Ingram, with 20 pounds less muscle. The better shooting part will be welcome - if it translates to our level of competition. But the rest makes the need for rebounding up front even more urgent.

My question for you, is who do you think we should settle for, if it turns out we can't get Omoruyi or another top player?

After looking at Sean Stewart's videos, I like him. But would we ever take a Duke player? I would, but I might be alone in that.

The kid from Davidson (Skogman) is another lower-ranked player who could be a good addition, imo. Or Goldin, if he doesn't join Wolf at Michigan.

Grab 2 of those 3 guys and we'll be OK. I would prioritize Stewart.

What about you?

Last edited:
If Washington is a starter next season and if UNC is depending on him giving them 25+ MPG, he must reduce his committed fouls significantly. There's no if ands or buts about that. He averaged 8.1 committed fouls per 40 minutes in conference play this past season. Whatever his efficiency is, he won't be able to stay on the floor unless he reduces his fouls by like 60%.
I would HOPE everyone here understands that a player coming off the bench tends to not be as careful about picking up fouls, they come in to be more aggressive, where as your starters do try to be judicious with their fouls. X that up for a kid getting 8mins a game, he is coming in trying to make an impact right away. With increased play, with knowing he has decent minutes to come he will adjust his foul rate, he will adjust his aggression.

This "if" Jalen is a starter next season, you do understand that would be the worse case scenario for pretty much everyone that has been as supportive of Jalen, it is my worst case for sure. It is because I, I think most everyone else realizes that getting at least 1 and I prefer 2 from the portal is what we want. That is in no way a slap at Jalen, I want him to drastically improve, I want him to improve to starter "quality" and realize that is a high bar for him to cross so high that I actually do not expect that next season but I do expect solid improvement, has to be on the defensive end and has to look for his shooting way more. I want the kid to get 16-22mins a game on average and adjust his minutes up or down based on his play. But if we can be so fortunate as to get Omouri, who I consider to be a championship puzzle piece and either a more shooter version center or maybe a Therio to fill Ingrams spot, don't know if Jalen can earn the 16-22 I want to see right now. I am fully expecting a nice increase in Jalen's game, one more typically seen from a freshman to a soph, his being delayed due to his focus being on rehab coming in.

Brice did it. Pretty sure he’ll manage them better knowing you have to be on the floor. Usually works out that way.
I would HOPE everyone here understands that a player coming off the bench tends to not be as careful about picking up fouls, they come in to be more aggressive, where as your starters do try to be judicious with their fouls. X that up for a kid getting 8mins a game, he is coming in trying to make an impact right away. With increased play, with knowing he has decent minutes to come he will adjust his foul rate, he will adjust his aggression.
True. Good call by both of you.

Brice did it. Pretty sure he’ll manage them better knowing you have to be on the floor. Usually works out that way.
Brice played 1041 minutes his first two years. That played large role in him learning how to stay on the court. On court experience is a factor.

Jalen played 421 minutes his first two years. And honestly, his inability to move laterally probably played a role in him picking up fouls.

I'm still expecting Hubert to pull off a portal triumph. He has a pretty good track record, after all. But a lot of top players are being grabbed up, and I'm a worrier.

As I've mentioned before, by the end of this week last year, we already had Ingram, Cormac, Withers and Paxson.

I'm really hoping for a quick commit from Tyson. But he's no PF or C. At best, he's a better shooting, lower rebounding Ingram, with 20 pounds less muscle. The better shooting part will be welcome - if it translates to our level of competition. But the rest makes the need for rebounding up front even more urgent.

My question for you, is who do you think we should settle for, if it turns out we can't get Omouri or another top player?

After looking at Sean Stewart's videos, I like him. But would we ever take a Duke player? I would, but I might be alone in that.

The kid from Davidson (Skogman) is another lower-ranked player who could be a good addition, imo. Or Goldin, if he doesn't join Wolf at Michigan.

Grab 2 of those 3 guys and we'll be OK. I would prioritize Stewart.
Darn good question, I love what I see from Omouri but if we can't lock him down who else? With guys like Raymound, Adioo, Wolf, Bradshaw, Ballo (kind of the order of my center wish list that still has Omouri at the top) all off the board makes it tough because that is a list of 7ft guys. The Davidson kid, Stewart (would be a nice add), Therio, Predrag's son, for me are all guys to replace Ingram rather than Bacot. Early on I shared that I liked Goldyn a lot but looked at other opinions when it looked like he would follow his coach to Michigan but Michigan just got Wolf so maybe Goldyn is not done deal to Michigan or Jonell Davis? So yeah, Goldyn would be my pick if we whiff on Omouri, man I would LOVE to get them both!

While I do see Omouri as a championship piece he is a back to the basket guy, he is a dunk waiting to happen, kid dunks everything, does not mess around trying to finess the ball in for sure (excellent defender, real rim protector that really helps cover guards mistakes). But he does not have much range and struggles from the free throw line, shoots it like 62% or so, hared to have a guy like that on the floor in a tight game, Ballo was even worse. If Jalen still struggles to defend (I am expecting him to develop but have to see how much) then I would love to have a back up plan like Goldyn to go to.

The other option is to wait until NBA draft decisions have been made because there are always real quality guys that drop out of the draft and many times enter the portal. Suppose for example Omier were to drop out of the draft and enter the portal, I take him and be gleeful! Who will be there late, I don't know but typically the real big timers come then. Those guys will be expensive, they hit your NIL budget hard!

WWJD

Sean Stewart, I don't care where he played last, that kid is extremely talented, he jumps out of the gym, was shocked he left duke actually, thought he would be a key piece for them next season. I think TJ Power has a lot of upside as well, getting either of those guys would not upset me at all. But where do you slot them in, I see them as wings (3spot) and we already have Drake and Jack and a chance to get Seth back?

Let me add one other consideration to my prior post about value of Omouri, he is a 1yr guy. I add that because Hubert is working on what could be a great big man class from this high school recruiting class. Koa Peat is the and Caleb Wilson are 2 we all would love but there is a rumor going around that maybe the Boozer twins are not as locked to duke as most think (that rumor has picked up steam in the last couple weeks). Omouri or Goldyn would not be road blocks for them that maybe a Bradshaw or a Wolf may have been. Duke got 2 bigs in Malouch and another (name escapes me right now) that very well could be seen as road blocks for Cam Boozer. Stay tuned on how that works out.

Last edited:
Y
Brice played 1041 minutes his first two years. That played large role in him learning how to stay on the court. On court experience is a factor.

Jalen played 421 minutes his first two years. And honestly, his inability to move laterally probably played a role in him picking up fouls.
You proved my point. If he were to get the pt he’d curb his fouls.

WWJD

Sean Stewart, I don't care where he played last, that kid is extremely talented, he jumps out of the gym, was shocked he left duke actually, thought he would be a key piece for them next season. I think TJ Power has a lot of upside as well, getting either of those guys would not upset me at all. But where do you slot them in, I see them as wings (3spot) and we already have Drake and Jack and a chance to get Seth back?

Let me add one other consideration to my prior post about value of Omouri, he is a 1yr guy. I add that because Hubert is working on what could be a great big man class from this high school recruiting class. Koa Peat is the and Caleb Wilson are 2 we all would love but there is a rumor going around that maybe the Boozer twins are not as locked to duke as most think (that rumor has picked up steam in the last couple weeks). Omouri or Goldyn would not be road blocks for them that maybe a Bradshaw or a Wolf may have been. Duke got 2 bigs in Malouch and another (name escapes me right now) that very well could be seen as road blocks for Cam Boozer. Stay tuned on how that works out.
I'd take a look at Power, too, especially if we whiff on Tyson. We need outside shooting and I'm guessing Power improves on his 35.7% if he gets more PT.

A UNC fan should never panic! How can you look at what Hubs has accomplished since the very beginning of the portal and not expect him to get what we need? Sometimes worrying is just because peeps like to worry! There are thousands of peeps in the portal and hundreds more might enter soon! We can't be so sensitive that we panic because 5 or 6 go elsewhere! Like regular recruiting, UNC seldom "misses" on a portal player without later finding it worked out for the best!

I wanted Ballo and Bradshaw but they didn't join us. I now want Omyuri and Goldin and feel just as good if we get them!

Sometimes lost in these conversations is what's happening with RJ?

Obviously he hasn't ruled out returning for another year. But neither has he said he will return.

Since it doesn't seem to be an easy decision (yet) I'm guessing one of the things he wants to know is what kind of team will he be returning to?

Armando, Harrison and Cormac are gone. Solid, reliable starters. Gone. Good friends. Gone.

Elliot will be better, no doubt. The incoming wings have talent, no doubt. But Armando, Harrison and Cormace leave huge holes to fill. And even if filled, how long before the team gels; and what kind of chemistry will emerge?

The deadlines for entering the portal and the draft are nearly upon us. Unless Hubert lands a big haul in the next few days, I expect RJ to enter both the portal and the draft - but not close the door to returning. Just to keep his options open. Frankly, I'm a little surprised he hasn't already done so.

Sometimes worrying is just because peeps like to worry!
That's my excuse.

Plus, the more I worry, the more likely Hubert is to get good people. You can thank the quantity and quality of my worrying for us getting Brady, Harrison and Cormac.

Sacrificing virgins works even better but they're almost impossible to find these days. And the basketball gods aren't amused if you only sacrifice Duke cheerleaders.

• Love
A UNC fan should never panic! How can you look at what Hubs has accomplished since the very beginning of the portal and not expect him to get what we need? Sometimes worrying is just because peeps like to worry! There are thousands of peeps in the portal and hundreds more might enter soon! We can't be so sensitive that we panic because 5 or 6 go elsewhere! Like regular recruiting, UNC seldom "misses" on a portal player without later finding it worked out for the best!

I wanted Ballo and Bradshaw but they didn't join us. I now want Omyuri and Goldin and feel just as good if we get them!
We've publicly been linked to 5 centers. None have visited UNC. 3 have committed elsewhere. 1 more seems likely to commit elsewhere soon. Leaving only Omoruyi on the table, who just completed a visit to GTown and is reportedly scheduling a visit to Bama next weekend.

The staff has made it clear their top priority is getting a starting center, yet hasn't gotten a single center to even visit UNC. That's concerning. By this date in 2023 we already had Ingram, Ryan, Withers, and Wojcik committed. Two weeks ago David Sisk popped onto this board to tell us the staff was focusing on Danny Wolf, and we didn't even get him to visit?

Also, Goldin is expected to commit to Michigan and there is no evidence UNC is recruiting him.

Someone is going to make a smart decision you are basically guaranteed 20-25 minutes a night on national TV playing the center spot for UNC ….
Only if you're starter material to begin with.

It's wild none of our center targets have even wanted to visit.

Are we lagging on the NIL front?
We don't appear to just write checks to land players. We pitch "you can make this much money in NIL" and show how much a guy like Bacot made. But if they don't visit, they don't get the full pitch.

Guys like Bradshaw and Ballo definitely wanted a large amount up front. Ballo was asking $1.2 million. Bradshaw, being represented by Klutch, definitely had agents who looked for a huge payday.

Sometimes lost in these conversations is what's happening with RJ?

Obviously he hasn't ruled out returning for another year. But neither has he said he will return.

Since it doesn't seem to be an easy decision (yet) I'm guessing one of the things he wants to know is what kind of team will he be returning to?

Armando, Harrison and Cormac are gone. Solid, reliable starters. Gone. Good friends. Gone.

Elliot will be better, no doubt. The incoming wings have talent, no doubt. But Armando, Harrison and Cormace leave huge holes to fill. And even if filled, how long before the team gels; and what kind of chemistry will emerge?

The deadlines for entering the portal and the draft are nearly upon us. Unless Hubert lands a big haul in the next few days, I expect RJ to enter both the portal and the draft - but not close the door to returning. Just to keep his options open. Frankly, I'm a little surprised he hasn't already done so.
I would be beyond shocked to see RJ enter the portal. I would not at all be surprised if RJ did not come back to UNC next season but if he does not come back it would be because he feels great about getting one of those 2 way deals post draft or decides to play outside of the USA.

Have to understand, this is considered to be a weak draft yet RJ isn't on any draft boards it seems for NBA teams 1st or second round. It would be harder for him to put together even a 2yr deal in a stronger draft like the couple drafts are projected to be after the one coming up. Hey, want some easy money, find someone willing to bet you that if RJ had a iron clad guarantee right now that he would be drafted any place in the second round of this next NBA draft that he would pass that up to come back to UNC next season! A post draft deal is the very best he can hope for NBA wise and that would be even harder if he comes back to us. Guys, love the kid but he is 5'10-11" and he isn't getting any longer, it is what it is.

Now I think that RJ pro career is outside of the States, he is simply to small to last in the NBA I believe is the NBA opinion. He can go play Euro ball for example and make really good money, see a lot of folks talking about how he could make better money playing for UNC via NIL next season and that is true, at least maybe. Problem with that is that great NIL money would only be for next season, what about after that? He could sign a longish term deal in Euro ball and makes solid money longer term as well as prove his value there and be set to sign second contract down the road for even more. Just like in the NBA, prove your value and that second contract is much sweeter than the rookies deal, so there is a time clock of sorts to start, you want to get to that second contract as quickly as you can. Staying at UNC would delay that by a year and that may not sound like much but the closer you get to thirty the harder it is to strike great second or 3rd contract deals, pro players have a shelf life.

That's my excuse.

Plus, the more I worry, the more likely Hubert is to get good people. You can thank the quantity and quality of my worrying for us getting Brady, Harrison and Cormac.

Sacrificing virgins works even better but they're almost impossible to find these days. And the basketball gods aren't amused if you only sacrifice Duke cheerleaders.
I don’t think that would be a sacrifice. More like a blessing.

This is the very definition of a straw man argument. First, make up out of the blue a falsehood as in "it is reckless and irresponsible to not recruit another starting caliber center" because literally NO ONE IS SUGGESTING such a thing? I have yet to see a single poster say they did not want us to bring in a center, all I have seen is posters saying they want this or that center from the portal, some wanted Ballo, personally the guy I keep coming back to is Omouri, I wanted Wolf and Omouri.
Nobody is suggesting it? There are Plenty of posts on this board about how Wash should be the starter and they are ridiculous. He can’t handle that minute load. And I hope people don’t think we were recruiting all those big men to be his backup. Then again maybe that explains why we can’t even get one to visit.

Reactions: gauchoheel
So now you proclaim to know my expectations and what they are based on? You would claim me insane for expressing my opinions?

Allow me to ask you an insane question, how is it in one post you say that you agree that Jalen deserves more minutes yet in this post all you speak of is his being out muscled and falling down a lot? If that is all you access Jalen capable of then why would you feel he deserves more minutes or even be on the team for that matter?
Yea - more minutes. As in more than 8 But if people think he is good enough and healthy enough to start and play 30 minutes a game then they are just plain stupid and don’t have realistic expectations. Sorry you don’t like it. If you think you are going to convince people then I guess keep the J Wash hype train going. Realistic fans are not buying your BS

When you know you only have a limited amount of minutes every game why not try to get away with fouls if you can. I will say though his fouls were mostly due to being out of position or just bad bogus calls.

When you know you only have a limited amount of minutes every game why not try to get away with fouls if you can. I will say though his fouls were mostly due to being out of position or just bad bogus calls.
Or because he got overpowered and lost his balance.

Being “out of position” included this…
But he wasn't out of position in the instances I talked about. He was in proper defensive position guarding a strong (or fat) center. The centers just bullied him to the basket and he was too weak or clumsy to stop them. Then the refs would call a foul.

Nobody is suggesting it? There are Plenty of posts on this board about how Wash should be the starter and they are ridiculous. He can’t handle that minute load. And I hope people don’t think we were recruiting all those big men to be his backup. Then again maybe that explains why we can’t even get one to visit.
Yea - more minutes. As in more than 8 But if people think he is good enough and healthy enough to start and play 30 minutes a game then they are just plain stupid and don’t have realistic expectations. Sorry you don’t like it. If you think you are going to convince people then I guess keep the J Wash hype train going. Realistic fans are not buying your BS
Every single post I have seen that in any way talks about Jalen maybe being a starter for us next season has ALWAYS come with at least 1 of 3 qualifiers, I will give the 3 qualifiers as:

1) His game strongly develops this off season, especially his defense, as I have said multiple times I think that bar is to high for him to achieve in just this off season but I do hope he gets near starter quality, starter quality does not mean starter, Seth was starter quality but did not start for us as an example.

2) If we are not able to bring in a starter level big man to replace bacot

3) Hell freezes over

Now, with that in hand, I invite you to go back thru this thread and find me 1 post (you say there are several, show me) that does not come with at least 1 of these 3 qualifiers.

Again, who are these people calling for Jalen to start and get 30mins a game? WHO??? LOL

Coach, can you give us any insight as to why we couldn't get our top center target to visit?
I just got off the phone on this one. I'm not sure what may have given the coaching staff some reservations after the initial conversations, but from my understanding the coaching staff declined visit requests from Wolf.

I just returned from vacation, and the center spot is the first thing I am working on. I am putting calls in now.
David, please if I may ask, give us as much as you can on Omouri, has a visit been set, is it close to being set? Any feeling of his consideration of UNC?

Every single post I have seen that in any way talks about Jalen maybe being a starter for us next season has ALWAYS come with at least 1 of 3 qualifiers, I will give the 3 qualifiers as:

1) His game strongly develops this off season, especially his defense, as I have said multiple times I think that bar is to high for him to achieve in just this off season but I do hope he gets near starter quality, starter quality does not mean starter, Seth was starter quality but did not start for us as an example.

2) If we are not able to bring in a starter level big man to replace bacot

3) Hell freezes over

Now, with that in hand, I invite you to go back thru this thread and find me 1 post (you say there are several, show me) that does not come with at least 1 of these 3 qualifiers.
You mean like post 9 in this thread where Gary says we should bring in a complement to J Wash.

Or post 19 where Gary says he should be our starting 5

That post Post 19 is interesting because YOU Quoted the post - post 21 in this thread.

My god man get some help.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT