ADVERTISEMENT

A final bow for EVH!

strummingram

Hall of Famer
Oct 1, 2010
This is so hard to comprehend... just like 1990 when Stevie Ray Died!

Was fortunate to have seen VH three times. 1981, 2006, 2012. Until I got older, I never really got in to guitarists and their abilities. I was (and still am) an old school hip hop lover. Understanding how DJ's could get different sounds from mixing and scratching on the turntables was much more interesting to me.

As I got older, I started listening to old rock stuff. As I said, I saw VH in 1981 but went with my sister, her boyfriend and her friends but I was much more interested at the 1/2 nekked girls around the coliseum. Don't have any idea who opened for them but do remember thinking...I need to be a musician.

I guess I really started listening to guitarists more when RATM came out and what Tom Morello could/can do with a guitar is outrageous. Listening to some of them sounding like turntables instead of a guitar.

RIP, EVH. Thank you for your contribution to our listening pleasure.

wow, that is strong coming from you strum

he's on my mt. rushmore for sure.

I wasn't even aware that he had cancer. This sucks. RIP, Eddie
It's somewhat of a hot-take reaction of the loss. But, when you get down to it; Eddie could play just about everything! I remember reading about when they cut the track "Could This Be Magic", on Women and Children First.

And, he said that he'd never really tried playing bottleneck blues/slide guitar before. And, as you can hear, he took to it instantly. He's not Ry Cooder, but, he can pull-it-off convincingly. Ry Cooder can't play like Van Halen at all. Same with recording "Apolitical Blues"... he's not Lowell George, but he can get closer to George than George could ever come to Eddie.

Some friends of mine were just talking about how the consensus between Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page- all former Yardbirds- and who was "the best." Clapton and Page will tell you it's Jeff Beck. Jeff can play like Jimmy and Eric, but neither of them can play like Jeff.

There's no system to measure who is "best" at an art form. But, Van Halen was just born with it inside of him. I read where he learned piano from his teacher by just watching the teacher and not taking time to learn to read the music! But, he could match the teacher's talent right away! He played saxophone, cello, tons of instruments.

I wasn't even aware that he had cancer. This sucks. RIP, Eddie
Been battling it for like 20+ years, off an on, I think. He chain-smoked Marlboros from like age 13 or 14. I remember he was on Howard Stern, YEARS ago, talking about his first doctor and the treatment process he used. It was unconventional. "I don't wanna just pour Drano into my veins, ya'know?" But, what was funny was how he was insisting that the cancer came from him holding the plastic pick in his mouth a lot- which he would do. Originally it was under his tongue, not his throat. But, Howard and Robin were laughing at him, "Dude, that ain't from no guitar guitar pick! You're sucking down those cigarettes like a junkie!"

I don't think he ever fully gave up smoking, either.

Was fortunate to have seen VH three times. 1981, 2006, 2012. Until I got older, I never really got in to guitarists and their abilities. I was (and still am) an old school hip hop lover. Understanding how DJ's could get different sounds from mixing and scratching on the turntables was much more interesting to me.

As I got older, I started listening to old rock stuff. As I said, I saw VH in 1981 but went with my sister, her boyfriend and her friends but I was much more interested at the 1/2 nekked girls around the coliseum. Don't have any idea who opened for them but do remember thinking...I need to be a musician.

I guess I really started listening to guitarists more when RATM came out and what Tom Morello could/can do with a guitar is outrageous. Listening to some of them sounding like turntables instead of a guitar.

RIP, EVH. Thank you for your contribution to our listening pleasure.
Second concert I went to was from the Diver Down tour, then I saw them for the 1984 tour. I was lucky to have much older cousins to take me to see concerts that I otherwise would never have seen. Van Halen was without a doubt the LOUDEST band I ever saw! EVH played the guitar like other prodigies... like it was a natural extension of themselves, like speaking. He talked about he and his brother playing with his father on stage during their trip from Europe to the States, when they emigrated.

This is WELL worth the watch! He talks about his whole life, and becoming an American citizen, living in Pasadena and couldn't speak any English:

It's somewhat of a hot-take reaction of the loss. But, when you get down to it; Eddie could play just about everything! I remember reading about when they cut the track "Could This Be Magic", on Women and Children First.

And, he said that he'd never really tried playing bottleneck blues/slide guitar before. And, as you can hear, he took to it instantly. He's not Ry Cooder, but, he can pull-it-off convincingly. Ry Cooder can't play like Van Halen at all. Same with recording "Apolitical Blues"... he's not Lowell George, but he can get closer to George than George could ever come to Eddie.

Some friends of mine were just talking about how the consensus between Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page- all former Yardbirds- and who was "the best." Clapton and Page will tell you it's Jeff Beck. Jeff can play like Jimmy and Eric, but neither of them can play like Jeff.

There's no system to measure who is "best" at an art form. But, Van Halen was just born with it inside of him. I read where he learned piano from his teacher by just watching the teacher and not taking time to learn to read the music! But, he could match the teacher's talent right away! He played saxophone, cello, tons of instruments.

Been battling it for like 20+ years, off an on, I think. He chain-smoked Marlboros from like age 13 or 14. I remember he was on Howard Stern, YEARS ago, talking about his first doctor and the treatment process he used. It was unconventional. "I don't wanna just pour Drano into my veins, ya'know?" But, what was funny was how he was insisting that the cancer came from him holding the plastic pick in his mouth a lot- which he would do. Originally it was under his tongue, not his throat. But, Howard and Robin were laughing at him, "Dude, that ain't from no guitar guitar pick! You're sucking down those cigarettes like a junkie!"

I don't think he ever fully gave up smoking, either.
I wonder how many Frankenstein orders you'll get in the next few weeks?

Reactions: strummingram
I wonder how many Frankenstein orders you'll get in the next few weeks?
He went into a deal with Fender Musical Instrument Corp to make replicas of his iconic striped guitars a few years back. It's kinda funny... I was making a lot of these replicas for years and they were popular. I wasn't mass-producing them, but here-and-there, some more than others. Jimi Hendrix, Clapton, Jimmy Page, George Harrison, and EVH. Almost all of them are now formally/officially made and distributed by a major brand. But, ELVH Inc. was notorious for having a listing pulled from eBay. I doubt Eddie knew or cared (maybe he did), but they were pretty relentless. He, or his management, whatever, somehow managed to copyright the striped motif.

My favorite one (and the last one to finally be formally offered) was his "Shark" Ibanez Destroyer. It was an Ibanez copy of a Gibson Explorer and he recorded "You Really Got Me" and "Running With The Devil" with that guitar. He said he ruined the sound after he cut out a huge chunk of the body to make it look different and then added the tape and painted it silver and red. He still played it onstage. I first saw it on the front and back of Women And Children First. That was the first album of theirs I bought.

Women___Children.jpg

AlbumPhoto.jpg

vanhalen_destroyer_Blog_Header_1400x_84c0a648-d9e9-49b2-8e91-e58c8ae1dd70_1024x1024.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT