ADVERTISEMENT

Is a top seed possible?

Bubspub88

Hall of Famer
Jun 2, 2006
UNC has been playing well and I would love to see them in Charlotte for the NCAA but I do not think that is realistic due to the conference. The ACC teams have a NET ranking of 78, that is an average. Right now the only home quad 1 game is dook and there are only six quad 1 road opportunities.

That is just sad if you are old enough to remember when ACC would routinely have multiple top 2 seeds and be well represented in sweet 16. So far the conference has 15 quad 1 wins and UNC has 4 (over a quarter) of those. It looks like there are very few chances to get a good win but so many chances for a bad loss. Louisville would now be a quad 4 win playing in Chapel Hill.

I have seen parts of a few non-UNC games and they have just been bad basketball (with officiating that is embarrassing).

Many projections have UNC currently as a #1 seed.

We'd probably get one of the two Charlotte pods as long as we are a 3 seed or higher. I mean really, what top teams are closest to Charlotte vs other pod locations? UNC, dook, and Tennessee? So realistically those are the 3 teams competing for 2 pods, and we own the head to head over Tennessee.

I think 1 is a stretch...too many games left and some decent teams in the ACC that give us fits. GT and Virginia are NOT good, but we always struggle with them for some reason. and GT can hit 3's as the dook game showed. can we get a 1. Maybe. gonna need some help along the way. I think a 2 in the south is more likely.

I am not really looking at seeding right now, I am more interested in this team developing more, I don't think we are even close to peaking yet, that comes when Ryan, Ingram, Paxon, and Cadeau start shooting the ball with more consistency and Seth begins to assert himself a little bit more on the offensive end, attack a bit more. Seth is still really hesitant to put up the jumpers, trust the work you put in young man. I do think the wrist limited Ingram more than he has shared, there was a drop off in his shooting directly after he hurt it vs Ky. His back down turn around jumper looked MUCH more solid last game so I think his wrist is feeling better. Ryan, just want his shooting to be more consistent, he is streaky. He is consistently playing defense but if his shooting gets more consistent (I think it will if he slows down just a touch, I think he is rushing a little bit).

But the real improvement I see is in the over all production of the JW boyzs and that up tick has shown itself already in that string of road games and vs the cuse.

I think Uconn with Klingman is the team to beat, he has missed time with injury and they are still a 1 seed, impressive. I would have Kansas as #2, UNC #3, and Arizona as 4 by the time seeding is set for the NCAAT, maybe not today. FYI, I would have Houston, Purdue, duke, and Ky as 2nd seeds in that order.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Vegas is showing that UNC is favored in the remaining ACC regular season games, except the last game at Duke.

The #1 seed is attainable.

As Drake Powell said, "just keep your head down and work and don't worry about the noise".

Little early to be thinking seeding but we continue to improve. Really would like to see Ryan get his groove back and Seth, Jwash and Jwit continue to improve and get more PT especially in games that are in hand early. A solid 8 man rotation that can cover multiple positions is pretty sweet and we are getting there in a hurry. And if the defense continues to improve ... wow Nellie !!

Not really a ton of differences in terms of bracket setup between a #1, #2, and #3 seed. All get you a first round game against a cupcake, a 2nd round game against a considerably worse team, and you avoid the best opponent in your bracket until the Elite Eight. You also typically get favorable home courts. I'd be very happy if we end up with a #2 or #3 seed.

If I had to say I don't think we're one of the four best teams. UConn, Purdue, Houston all clearly better, and lots of teams about as good as we are. Team won't be elite defensively once the opponent 3-point shooting stops being so low. We need Ryan to find his shot and Cadeau to come into his own to reach our potential of a fairly unstoppable offense. It's possible we could get a #1 seed though; lots of variance involved in outcomes the rest of the season.

If only 3 teams are clearly better this means we do have a legit shot at a #1 seed! It appears we only have to get a slight uptick in perimeter scoring to pair with continued defensive effort/intensity to be a problem for all. I have not seen one team that couldn't be beat this year and all have had lapses. Our team is developing very rapidly and I would not be scared to play anybody in the country right now! I am more worried about Houston than the other two mentioned since they have such strong, skilled guards + physical D, but I also think our team D will soon be up to the task! (will our O be ready?)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT