ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Baseball Championship Schedule

Season Series vs. Pittsburgh (March 16-18)
Chapel Hill
UNC won the series 3-0: 15-3 W, 4-0 W, 13-2 W

Season Series vs. Georgia Tech (April 20-22)
Chapel Hill
UNC won the series 3-0: 9-3 W, 9-8 W, 10-3 W

UNC at DBAP This Season
State 8-3 L
Duke 7-3 L
Duke 5-2 L
Duke 8-6 W

I don't understand the significance of the numbers on this Tweet.

Also, our pool is Pool A (UNC, Pittsburgh, GT), in case anyone is confused. It's certainly an.... interesting.... format for a conference tourney.

ETA: ah, those numbers are times. Maybe should've included ":00" at the end. The way the numbers appear, they look like seeding numbers. Kinda dumb by whoever designed the graphic, IMO.

Interesting that GT gets 3 full days rest before taking us on. I think from that standpoint, I'm pulling for Pitt.

Do y'all like this tourney format @toophly1124 @Jarrod Hardy @Archer2 @tarheel0910 @tazki ? I do like that they eliminate two teams from tourney contention (I wish basketball would do the same), but I'm not sure about this format.

Also, am I correct in assuming that in a scenario where all three teams in a pool finish at 1-1, the top seed gets the tiebreaker?

I think a lot of the reason for doing pools is to hopefully save pitching staffs while also making it as close to a normal week, as possible.

Weather situations also arise so pool play makes it easier than doing double elimination.

I agree on not having the bottom teams. The conference is so big that it only makes sense to not have everyone play.

As far as who to pull full, I would say pull for Pitt.

Georgia Tech is the better team so they could be a tough out on Friday if they win today.

However, Pitt would have a golden opportunity at the weekend if they were to win today against GT because a win tomorrow against UNC would give them two full days off and Pool A already locked up.

In other words, Carolina just needs to take care of business!

If all three teams finish 1-1 UNC advances to Saturday.

Reactions: Archer2
As far as who to pull full, I would say pull for Pitt. Georgia Tech is the better team. Pitt would have a golden opportunity at the weekend if they were to win today because a win tomorrow would give them two full days off and Pool A already locked up.
Think you mean Georgia Tech in the beginning of your third sentence. But I agree! Actually, I see what you mean now.

I think a lot of the reason for doing pools is to hopefully save pitching staffs while also making it as close to a normal week, as possible.

Weather situations also arise so pool play makes it easier than doing double elimination.

I agree on not having the bottom teams. The conference is so big that it only makes sense to not have everyone play.
Think of how much better the basketball tourney would be if you stripped it down to 12 teams. You could play the tourney in 4 days, move it back to Thursday - Sunday. Suddenly, it becomes a manageable trip for common folks.

Reactions: JohnGwaltney
I would be in favor of eliminating more teams. The way it's set up now the first round of pool play is basically meaningless. Two pools of four with double elimination would be fine with me. The only downside I can see with that is the issue it can create with your rotations.

I would be in favor of eliminating more teams. The way it's set up now the first round of pool play is basically meaningless. Two pools of four with double elimination would be fine with me. The only downside I can see with that is the issue it can create with your rotations.
Yeah, if I'm Carolina, I'm rolling the dice and sending out my "worst" starters for pool play, and saving my best two for Saturday and Sunday.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I'm ok with it but I would reduce the number of teams. With the current number you have teams that would not help your RPI if you were in need of that. Fortunately we are not.

What I don't like is Baseball America's latest projections. They have SC coming to Chapel Hill as the #2 seed. I detest them but they are really hot right now.

Wait... if Pitt beats us tomorrow, we are eliminated.

This format kinda blows. So we have to throw our ace tomorrow (If we care about progressing through this tourney)

Wait... if Pitt beats us tomorrow, we are eliminated.
No. We still have to play GT. If we beat GT, we'll both have a1-1 record. Higher seed advances, not the head to head winner. At least that's how I understand it and why I said the first round is almost meaningless.

No. We still have to play GT. If we beat GT, we'll both have a1-1 record. Higher seed advances, not the head to head winner. At least that's how I understand it and why I said the first round is almost meaningless.
We will still play GT regardless, but think about it, Pitt is 1-0. If they beat us tomorrow they will be 2-0 and would be guaranteed the best record in the pool.

You're right. I had the three way tie scenario in my head for some reason.
The fact that we specifically play Pitt in our first game is what makes tomorrow an "elimination" game (since Pitt won).

I would say they need to tweak it so the highest seed in the pool automatically plays the loser of the first game, thus staving off an elimination game in the highest seed's first game....... but if they did that, then you would have the highest seed potentially having to use its best arm closer to the semifinals and final, so there's not really a good solution.

I would say they need to tweak it so the highest seed in the pool automatically plays the loser of the first game
Make it where they play just the winner of the first game. That way the higher seed only has to play one game to advance. There is no reason we should play GT. The higher seed should get rewarded.

so there's not really a good solution.
Other than my brilliant solution of two pools of 4 right?

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
One positive for UNC is that a win tomorrow makes Friday meaningless so they don't have to go out of their way to win. The main thing is taking care of their business tomorrow in front of what should be a big Carolina crowd.

One positive for UNC is that a win tomorrow makes Friday meaningless so they don't have to go out of their way to win. The main thing is taking care of their business tomorrow in front of what should be a big Carolina crowd.
Yeah, Friday is meaningless either way, so it will be a good opportunity to play some bench guys and maybe try some things out to work some kinks out, heading into weekend and/or NCAAT play.

Tuesday Finals:
Pitt 2, GT 1
FSU 3, UVA 2
Miami 6, ND 2

Wednesday Games:
11:00 AM #9 Wake Forest vs. #5 Louisville
3:00 PM #2 Clemson vs. #11 Notre Dame
7:00 PM #1 UNC vs. #12 Pittsburgh

Yes, I assume Dave Nathan will have the call on the Tar Heel Sports Network through Tunein.

The national broadcast of the full championship is being carried on ACC Radio channel.

FSU is your 2018 ACC Champion with an 11-8 win over Louisville in 10 innings.

Now, we wait to see where UNC ends up in the rankings for regional hosting and possible super regional hosting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT