ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Baseball Tournament - GSO

Hollywood76

Freshman
Nov 5, 2009
With conference expansion, how many teams will make the ACC Tournament this year in Greensboro??
Just wondering where the Heels need to be, to be eligible to play in Greensboro in May...

thanks.

From the ACC Press Release (scroll to the bottom):

Beginning with the 2014 season, the ACC Baseball Championship will feature 10 teams in a six-day event. A double-elimination format will be used Tuesday through Friday followed by two single-elimination games on Saturday and the championship game on Sunday.

Here's the tournament format for this season. Last season there were 8 teams in 2 pods playing a round-robin format with the winner of each pod playing in the championship game. I'm not a big fan of switching to single-elimination games mid-stream but that's probably the only way to fit the whole extravaganza into one week.

I didn't make it to any games last year, but went for a Thursday evening session and Saturday games in 2012. Lots of fun.

they take the best 5 teams from each sub conference or the best 10 teams overall??
the Heels need to pick it up reguardless.
Had a great time at the 2012 tourney in GSO and will be there again this year, hopefully watching the Heels.

Originally posted by Hollywood76:
they take the best 5 teams from each sub conference or the best 10 teams overall??
Good question. I just assumed it would be the best 10 teams overall since they're seeded 1-10. Obviously it would shake things up to take the top 5 from each division.

I hate the ACC website. It's difficult to navigate and available information is terrible. I'm going to email them for clarification on this....

Okay, I got a response back from ACC Baseball (I tweeted them instead of email). Here it is:

"Top 10 overall, with the division winners getting the 1-2 slots, and 2nd place in each division guaranteed a spot."

That last part is a little confusing. There are only 7 teams in each division. Even if each of the 7 teams in one division finished with better records than the best team in the other division, you would still have 3 spots to fill in the tournament that would have to go to the top 3 teams of the other division.

Am I missing something? Somebody help me out here.

In any case, UNC baseball is in a bad spot as of this moment. They would be looking at some tie-break scenarios with GT and VT for the 10th spot if the season ended today.

RH,

thanks for your time on this. I appreciate it. Let's hope the guys get it turned around so we can watch them play in GSO come May. It's a lot of fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT