ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Tournament Thread (2024)

Probably will be the 1 in the West, Arizona the 2, Kansas the 4. I can't see them passing on a potential matchup with Caleb.

Probably will be the 1 in the West, Arizona the 2, Kansas the 4. I can't see them passing on a potential matchup with Caleb.
Just from a geography/ travel standpoint if we or Tennessee are a 1, it’d make sense to put us in south and Houston be in the west

Obligatory

109484.jpg

I can't figure out why Lunardi has us and tenn fighting for the last 1 seed but then separates us. If we are the 4th 1 seed we should have the top 2 seed which he says would be Tenn. I really want dook to be the 4 in either UConn or houston's bracket.

Reactions: Heelicious
I can't figure out why Lunardi has us and tenn fighting for the last 1 seed but then separates us. If we are the 4th 1 seed we should have the top 2 seed which he says would be Tenn. I really want dook to be the 4 in either UConn or houston's bracket.
Absolutely! They try to keep top 8 overall teams close to home first weekend for fan draw, but absolutely regarding what team is in what region - I thought they do a “snake” seeding, ie overall 4 with 5, 3 with 6, 2 with 7, 1 with 8. Maybe they even do this as much as possible, snake seeding for top 12-16 seedings?

To say you’re going to “reward” UConn if they are overall #1, by putting another de facto #1 in their region just because both are sort of near east coast - makes no sense.

In a logical world - Tennessee and UNC will be 1-2 in south no matter what happens this weekend in conference tourneys.

Absolutely! They try to keep top 8 overall teams close to home first weekend for fan draw, but absolutely regarding what team is in what region - I thought they do a “snake” seeding, ie overall 4 with 5, 3 with 6, 2 with 7, 1 with 8. Maybe they even do this as much as possible, snake seeding for top 12-16 seedings?

To say you’re going to “reward” UConn if they are overall #1, by putting another de facto #1 in their region just because both are sort of near east coast - makes no sense.

In a logical world - Tennessee and UNC will be 1-2 in south no matter what happens this weekend in conference tourneys.
Houston will get first choice for their region and will pick the south. If a 1, going west.

Houston will get first choice for their region and will pick the south. If a 1, going west.

That's some good information there. I had no idea #1 seeds could let the committee know which region they preferred.

That's some good information there. I had no idea #1 seeds could let the committee know which region they preferred.
Yeah - I wasn’t aware of that either. That seems odd. Are sure about that? And it only applies to one seeds? What if two one seeds want the same region? How do they fight that out? Is this a benefit given only to the top overall one seed? Because I think it will still be super close between the top 3 UConn Houston and Purdue re 1 thru 3 overall.

Yeah - I wasn’t aware of that either. That seems odd. Are sure about that? And it only applies to one seeds? What if two one seeds want the same region? How do they fight that out? Is this a benefit given only to the top overall one seed? Because I think it will still be super close between the top 3 UConn Houston and Purdue re 1 thru 3 overall.
The first on the s curve decides. Sometimes they choose a region you wouldn't think for certain reasons.

2 seeds generally slot in based off the s curve I believe. 1st seeds get preference on region.

Procedures for Placing the Teams into the Bracket

1. The committee will place the four No. 1 seeds in each of the four regions, thus determining the Final Four semifinals pairings (overall 1 vs. 4; 2 vs. 3). The overall No. 1 seed has the opportunity to select its preferred first- and second-round site and preferred region.

2. The committee will then place the No. 2 seeds in each region in true seed list order. The committee may relax the principle of keeping teams as close to their area of natural interest for seeding teams on the No. 2 line to avoid, for example, the overall No. 5 seed being sent to the same region as the overall No. 1 seed. The committee will not compromise the principle of keeping teams from the same conference in separate regions.

The first on the s curve decides. Sometimes they choose a region you wouldn't think for certain reasons.

2 seeds generally slot in based off the s curve I believe. 1st seeds get preference on region.
Thanks. Helpful. I’d still say Houston has more risk of losing in conference tourney than UConn, but we will see. Top 3 are all pretty close. I could see Purdue losing in conference tourney too.

That actually looks vague as to whether the 2nd or 3rd 1 seed team get to choose regions. Pretty sure how it works tho.
Thanks for sharing. It seems clear to me the overall #1 gets to choose and then it probably makes geographical sense re where to put other 3 1 seeds. I think we will end up as 1 in south. Unless something insane happens and some other team steals our 1 now. I think this UNC team is more focused / locked in on ACC tourney nets and trophy.

Thanks also for posting the part about s / snake seeding. Proves lunardi is full of crap with putting. - say - UNC (as a 5 overall?) in same region as overall 1 or 2 UConn as of yesterday at least.

Procedures for Placing the Teams into the Bracket

1. The committee will place the four No. 1 seeds in each of the four regions, thus determining the Final Four semifinals pairings (overall 1 vs. 4; 2 vs. 3). The overall No. 1 seed has the opportunity to select its preferred first- and second-round site and preferred region.

2. The committee will then place the No. 2 seeds in each region in true seed list order. The committee may relax the principle of keeping teams as close to their area of natural interest for seeding teams on the No. 2 line to avoid, for example, the overall No. 5 seed being sent to the same region as the overall No. 1 seed. The committee will not compromise the principle of keeping teams from the same conference in separate regions.

Not sure if I'm interpreting that correctly, but I know it is already predetermined which region plays which other region in the FF. If UConn is 1 overall and UNC was 4 overall, they wouldn't necessarily meet in the National Semi's unless the East and West were slated to match up already.

Not sure if I'm interpreting that correctly, but I know it is already predetermined which region plays which other region in the FF. If UConn is 1 overall and UNC was 4 overall, they wouldn't necessarily meet in the National Semi's unless the East and West were slated to match up already.
Regions are not predetermined who meets who. They are assigned who meets who based on who is 1 and 4 and who is 2 and 3.
So if Uconn is East at 1 and UNC West at 4 then East will face West and South will face Midwest. No matter where the 4th 1 seed is placed that bracket will meet the 1 seeds region in the semis.

Regions are not predetermined who meets who. They are assigned who meets who based on who is 1 and 4 and who is 2 and 3.
So if Uconn is East at 1 and UNC West at 4 then East will face West and South will face Midwest. No matter where the 4th 1 seed is placed that bracket will meet the 1 seeds region in the semis.

I disagree with this and would love to be proven wrong. Can you provide a link that says that?

Here are some stats for the semi-final games:
North CarolinaStatPittsburghVirginiaStatNC State
26-6Record22-1023-9Record20-14
81.2%Win %68.8%71.9%Win %58.8%
1-0Versus0-11-1Versus1-1
17-3Conference12-813-7Conference9-11
7NET4050NET69
33SOS8378SOS58
81.9PPG75.963.5PPG76.2
45.2%FG%43.8%43.6%FG%44.6%
36.0%3FG%35.8%36.5%3FG%34.9%
75.3%FT%70.5%63.9%FT%72.8%
41.2RPG37.232.8RPG34.9
12.2OffRPG11.58.7OffRPG10.7
30.5%OffR%29.1%24.0%OffR%27.2%
14.4APG13.815.1APG12.9
10.4TO/G9.18.2TO/G9.6
1.38A/TO1.511.85A/TO1.35
71.7Poss./G67.061.3Poss./G69.6
114.2Off. Eff.113.3103.7Off. Eff.109.6
50.9%AFG%52.1%62.9%AFG%47.2%
5.9SPG6.47.2SPG7.4
4.2BPG4.55.2BPG3.4
70.0Opp. PPG67.559.2Opp. PPG72.8
40.4%Opp. FG%43.1%39.9%Opp. FG%44.8%
31.1%Opp. 3FG%30.9%30.7%Opp. 3FG%35.2%
33.7Opp. RPG33.034.4Opp. RPG36.1
10.9Opp. TO/G11.212.1Opp. TO/G12.7
97.2Def. Eff.100.795.0Def. Eff.104.8

Reactions: Heels5150
Any preference to who ya wanna play tomorrow?
Neither of these team have any biz with the heels. But I’d say take the 10 seed who’d be playing for the 5th straight day and late tonight.

Maybe the game can go 3 overtimes tonight

Any preference to who ya wanna play tomorrow?
Good ?? Uva D is strong & I like our chances considering there O struggles alot ... ncsux we can beat them again even though 3 times in one season is tough ... I just hope we shoot better from 3 ball land tomorrow night & cut the nets down

Not ACC tourney but OOPs zona just lost to weak Oregon.

Panic in abc world. Absolutely nobody you can argue for last 1 seed over heels

Oh my goodness! Insanity. Best case for heels. They’re sleeping and this game is going past midnight

Neither of these team have any biz with the heels. But I’d say take the 10 seed who’d be playing for the 5th straight day and late tonight.

Maybe the game can go 3 overtimes tonight
Agree with the first paragraph and it just may

I disagree with this and would love to be proven wrong. Can you provide a link that says that?
You can Google previous years brackets to see this or look at actually good bracketologists this year who have this shown in their brackets right now for who is 1v4 and 2v3 in their predictions. If you disagree, then so be it. Doesn't change the fact of the matter.

Bennett screwed the pooch on that one and it's gonna cost them the game.
Yeah missing the fts is one thing. But how can you not know how “fouls to give” works. Absolutely no way nc state should’ve even gotten a (miracle) shot off - five seconds left and three fouls to give. Even if you foul them and send them to the line. That was about the biggest gag choke job i think I’ve ever seen. For being an alleged great coach, Bennett has overseen a lot of underachieving in tournaments with uva.
Bennett screwed the pooch on that one and it's gonna cost them the game.
And does it cost them getting in the tourney? Not sure. I think there may be a couple other league steals of last tourney spots log pac 12. And maybe sec. Anyway uva may have just put themselves on wrong side of the bubble with an a miraculous way to find to lose. Heckuva job. If I were a Uva fan I’d be so pissed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT