ADVERTISEMENT

AJ: Stunning and Sobering

Stunning and sober should have described last week. "Pathetic and back to the norm for Carolina football" would be a better description this week. This is the type of stuff I was talking about last week. The reason why fans don't fill up the stadium week after week. Paying a large amount of money year after year and getting no return. I have a great comparison for you to use to describe this team. GameStop stock. It started out as a team (stock) that no one paid much attention to, unexpectedly reach a very high price and has now crashed back to earth.

Sobering reality: Mack should not have been hired the second time. More sobering reality: Mack's initial staff this go around was terrible and could have been as bad as any in a P5 if he had gotten away with Greg Robinson as DC.

Conclusion: Mack learned absolutely nothing from screwing up at Texas. He still felt that his tongue was the savior and problem solver.

Gonna put this here too.

I am sick and tired of hearing mack talk about how other teams may play from one week to the next and all of that BS. Spend more time trying to fix this sh** than worrying about how everyone else is playing. I, and probably most of you here, are really only concerned about UNC period!! Stop trying to be politically correct and all that BS and do something to fix it. I am also tired of hearing him say all the necessary BS to justify losing. Listen I can’t stand dull Dave but dang it he seems to not care about what others think and doesn’t mind saying what may not be politically correct at times. UNC is soft bottom line. Before someone comes at me realize I don’t give a rat’s arse about whether you agree or not with any of this. The last two weeks have been a complete shame just go look at the stats.

Sobering reality: Mack should not have been hired the second time. More sobering reality: Mack's initial staff this go around was terrible and could have been as bad as any in a P5 if he had gotten away with Greg Robinson as DC.

Conclusion: Mack learned absolutely nothing from screwing up at Texas. He still felt that his tongue was the savior and problem solver.
You seem absolutely giddy at this loss, looking to pat yourself on the back? With all this HATE you seem to hold for UNC please consider becoming a NC State fan, you are perfect for their fan base...

Reactions: CURRY2WOODYR80
You seem absolutely giddy at this loss, looking to pat yourself on the back? With all this HATE you seem to hold for UNC please consider becoming a NC State fan, you are perfect for their fan base...
He's always happy about losing. He lives for it. He's nowhere to be found when he's wrong, though.

Reactions: DSouthr
Clearly the tempo was getting to our defense, the dline especially. When our own tempo has got to the opponents this season those teams all the sudden had a rash of guys after every play laying on the field hurt so the refs had to call an injury TO, which of course allows teams to sub in rested players and stalls the momentum. Yesterday, we should have had a lot of really tired guys laying on the field grabbing a their leg forcing the refs to call injury TOs.

You are poster boy #1, replete with near total basketball emphasis, for why UNC football is as it is. You tolerate crap and blame the fans and everybody but the bad HCs UNC hires, which the worse they are seem to be liked all the more by basketball-onlys and basketball-firsters, as well as the ladies at the garden club. You then excuse your like of following football becasue it is not good enough for you.

Reactions: Kool1234567
He's always happy about losing. He lives for it. He's nowhere to be found when he's wrong, though.
So I only stated posting after that loss to UVA? You really should avoid sounding that ignorant.

So what issue have I been wrong about? Mack? Bly? Cross? Searles? Fedora? Bunting? Torbush? I even said that Fedora would never again be a successful OC, much less HC. And he hasn't.

Whatever small thing I may have been wrong about that seems to be lodged in your head, I am far more right about things that truly matter than anyone posting here. So let's repeat: Mack Brown is never going to win anything of merit at UNC. Both Lane Kiffin and Mike Norvell would have done better at UNC than Mack 2.0.

Now that Clemson's season is ruined, Mack might get that W this year. But of what merit is beating the losingest Clemson team in a more than a decade? It won't get us ranked or into a Major bowl.

Reactions: vbrs
So I only stated posting after that loss to UVA? You really should avoid sounding that ignorant.

So what issue have I been wrong about? Mack? Bly? Cross? Searles? Fedora? Bunting? Torbush? I even said that Fedora would never again be a successful OC, much less HC. And he hasn't.

Whatever small thing I may have been wrong about that seems to be lodged in your head, I am far more right about things that truly matter than anyone posting here. So let's repeat: Mack Brown is never going to win anything of merit at UNC. Both Lane Kiffin and Mike Norvell would have done better at UNC than Mack 2.0.

Now that Clemson's season is ruined, Mack might get that W this year. But of what merit is beating the losingest Clemson team in a more than a decade? It won't get us ranked or into a Major bowl.
I think if things go as usual, Clemson will become the Clemson of national championships, just because it's us.

BTW, I'm going to go against the grain (as I've done before) and refrain from criticizing you for speaking what is essentially the truth. I haven't tracked you much so I don't know the history behind the hard time you get, but while not agreeing with everything you put out, I can't argue with most of it.

Not reading all that. Somewhat because of the length, but mostly because I know it will be your same copy and paste post.

You are poster boy #1, replete with near total basketball emphasis, for why UNC football is as it is. You tolerate crap and blame the fans and everybody but the bad HCs UNC hires, which the worse they are seem to be liked all the more by basketball-onlys and basketball-firsters, as well as the ladies at the garden club. You then excuse your like of following football becasue it is not good enough for you.
And you are total comedy! LOL@UUUUUUUUU!!!

I have given up on UNC being anything more than a .500 program in football…History tells us that no matter who the Coach is…Even if we were to hire a bright up and coming coach he would only be here a few years and go to a school that cares about football…

742-559-54. All time record.
15-21. Bowl Record
8 conference titles playing football since 1888…8 that’s it…

It is what it is…..It’s just a culture thing at UNC….The school itself could care less about football….I held out hope but not anymore…

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Good news, we can win every game left on the schedule, because we have a top 10 offense!
Bad news, it depends on who has the ball last, cuz anyone can score on us in ~60 seconds.

I have given up on UNC being anything more than a .500 program in football…History tells us that no matter who the Coach is…Even if we were to hire a bright up and coming coach he would only be here a few years and go to a school that cares about football…

742-559-54. All time record.
15-21. Bowl Record
8 conference titles playing football since 1888…8 that’s it…

It is what it is…..It’s just a culture thing at UNC….The school itself could care less about football….I held out hope but not anymore…
I sympathize with your POV, but in actuality, and as I posted recently, the head admin knocker at the time got tired of us being nothing in football and we hired Butch. Say what you will, you'll have a hard time convincing me that he wasn't taking us places. One man in the admin can make a difference. We just need to get to him and have Guido convince him.

All that fiasco just served to reinforce the anti-football sentiment among the eggheads. Maybe that will die down and another chancellor will step up.

Naaaa. What was I thinking?

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I sympathize with your POV, but in actuality, and as I posted recently, the head admin knocker at the time got tired of us being nothing in football and we hired Butch. Say what you will, you'll have a hard time convincing me that he wasn't taking us places. One man in the admin can make a difference. We just need to get to him and have Guido convince him.

All that fiasco just served to reinforce the anti-football sentiment among the eggheads. Maybe that will die down and another chancellor will step up.

It’s always been like this though…I really think we had a chance with Mack 1.0 and he leaves for Texas…What does UNC do instead of hiring somebody worth a darn…Carl Torbush….Then turn around and hired John Bunting…Just lazy hires by that idiot of a AD at the time Dean Smith little do boy Little dickie…

I 100% agree about Butch. I think the year everything went to shit would have been the year we made some serious noise. I also believe he would have left for a better job at the end of the year, leaving us just short of achieving something great. That's the Carolina way.

I 100% agree about Butch. I think the year everything went to shit would have been the year we made some serious noise. I also believe he would have left for a better job at the end of the year, leaving us just short of achieving something great. That's the Carolina way.
ah, that's normally the case but that's where you're wrong in his case. When we hired Butch, I whined that it was a dumb hire because I thought he would do exactly that, and I maintained that opinion for a while after he started coaching.. But after spending some time here and having his medical problem successfully resolved by local medical types. it became apparent that he fell in love with his job and the Hill, and had no intention of ever leaving. He had a snazzy residence constructred and everything.

It’s always been like this though…I really think we had a chance with Mack 1.0 and he leaves for Texas…What does UNC do instead of hiring somebody worth a darn…Carl Torbush….Then turn around and hired John Bunting…Just lazy hires by that idiot of a AD at the time Dean Smith little do boy Little dickie…
that's what I was saying. It was always like this until the man decided to get serious about football here (I can not remember who that was) and was behind hiring Butch. In other words, it CAN happen if the right people want it too, and if it happened once it can happen again.

Hiring Torbush was not a lazy hire, it was done because the entire team practically threatened to go on strike and demanded it. Carl Torbush did a great job as DC, and his players loved to play, and play defense the way it is supposed to be played. He just wasn't HC material or wasn't given enough time to become a good one.

The hire of Carl was a mistake and the burn of Mack leaving was still being felt. The burn of Mack leaving was added to the burn of Dooley leaving and the disappointment of Dick Crum's waning success. I never liked Crum but now I recognize that he actually was a really good HC.

Accordingly, the hiring of John Bunting was not just a lazy, convenient hire, but an attempt to resolve the very problem you're recognizing. Had Bunting become successful, he would NEVER have left for another job because this was the only job he ever wanted. He was (is) a Tar Heel through and through. I was completely behind him for that reason, having the same feelings of abandonment that are being discussed; and it didn't hurt that he was also responsible for in his first game kicking the absolute crap out of FSU (then ranked 6th) and several years later knocking off 3rd ranked Miami in one of the most enjoyable several hours I've ever spent in Kenan.

We could have kept Dooley, and we could have kept Mack and we could have kept Butch, if we were dedicated to being a leading football program.

..It’s just a culture thing at UNC….The school itself could care less about football…
it's worse than apathy. football is an all-male activity, which makes it an unacceptable vestige of toxic masculinity. the percentage of people in chapel hill who feel that way is large enough to undermine a football culture.

ah, that's normally the case but that's where you're wrong in his case. When we hired Butch, I whined that it was a dumb hire because I thought he would do exactly that, and I maintained that opinion for a while after he started coaching.. But after spending some time here and having his medical problem successfully resolved by local medical types. it became apparent that he fell in love with his job and the Hill, and had no intention of ever leaving. He had a snazzy residence constructred and everything.
Mack 1.0 was the same way. Butch would have left for that national championship opportunity just like Mack. Still would have been nice to get really close again like in 96-97.

Not reading all that. Somewhat because of the length, but mostly because I know it will be your same copy and paste post.
You won't read it because you can't face it. You are good only at whining like a girl about me being correct about every major issue. A pack of really stupid fools spent all kinds of time posting about how insane I was thinking Bly was at best a very risky hire, and more for predicting exactly how and why Mack would flop at UNC this time around.

Have fun acting like a little school girl and not reading what you know shows you to be what you are.

it's worse than apathy. football is an all-male activity, which makes it an unacceptable vestige of toxic masculinity. the percentage of people in chapel hill who feel that way is large enough to undermine a football culture.
The garden club ladies in Chapel Hill who LOVE Sally and Mack think that way. If the Chapel Hill ladies love a football coach, the man is not worth having. They never cared for Bill Dooley at all. And they disliked Crum almost as much as Dooley.

Mack 1.0 was the same way. Butch would have left for that national championship opportunity just like Mack. Still would have been nice to get really close again like in 96-97.
we've had this discussion before. Mack didn't leave because that opportunity came up, he left because he couldn't see the same opportunity developing here. If he could have seen that, he would have stayed. Butch could see that, because he realized the potential and he had the serious admin. backing that Mack did not have. And he would have stayed until we had a national championship as long as that backing was still there..

I've pointed out many times before, we can draw the talent; and with the right coach we can capitalize on it. We just need the school to not hold its nose over football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT