ADVERTISEMENT

basketball camp & pick up games

And this has what to do with a scrimmage ??? Guess even some Tar Heel fans have serious ADD issues. Just another thread gone walkabout ..

Platek may align better with Leslie McDonald in terms of shooting, defense and athleticism. I get the sense his court awareness/bball IQ is more advanced so i think his ceiling is higher than McDonald. His shooting may be better as well but he hasn't pulled the trigger enough to validate that.

Reactions: Archer2
Happened to met the guy last yr St late night... He is at least 6"3 -6"4 def not taller than that though. He is taller than 6"2
Correct. I've been a skosh over 6'3 since I was 16, and I spoke with Andrew in passing between AAU games and he had me by a little bit (and we were both wearing sneakers). Any fractions aside, unless he shrunk since then, 6'4 is a fair listing.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Sorry, your closest comp to Andrew is probably Michael Jordan.
C'mon man, why you gotta say silly sh** like that?
And Melvin Scott? YGTBK.
Look, I get the whole white-guy-to-white-guy thing, but sometimes it is what it is.
As for Andrew I'll give ya both:
Bobby Frasor with Leslie McDonald's stroke. That adds up to a pretty damned good player.

And Melvin Scott? YGTBK.
Look, I get the whole white-guy-to-white-guy thing, but sometimes it is what it is.
Bobby Frasor with Leslie McDonald's stroke. That adds up to a pretty damned good player.
What's wrong with Melvin Scott? Did us proud.

And Melvin Scott? YGTBK.

I actually thought about Leslie, but man, he was a much better prospect than Andrew. I thought it was a disservice to compare them because if we get a Leslie career out of Andrew I'd be thrilled, but I was not thrilled with Leslie's career out of Leslie (if that makes sense).

And damn right Mike, I loved Melvin Scott. Perfect role player for us.

I actually thought about Leslie, but man, he was a much better prospect than Andrew. I thought it was a disservice to compare them because if we get a Leslie career out of Andrew I'd be thrilled, but I was not thrilled with Leslie's career out of Leslie (if that makes sense).

And damn right Mike, I loved Melvin Scott. Perfect role player for us.
I like Melvin too but as for Andrew, Leslie, et al, the whole "better prospect" thing is just a lot of smoke. You can play or you can't.

LMac would have had a fine career without the injuries to me. I think his "off-court issues" were relatively minor and would have been much easier to overcome without the physical setbacks! Right before the last injury he was showing definite signs of buying in and reaching his potential.

If Platek can be similar to LMac, we are in fine shape!

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
Let's hope Andrew is Andrew and never an LMac. Guy couldn't shoot, Andrew can.
What? Nobody wants to go all Dave "Coldspot" as a reference? :rolleyes::eek:

More than willing to consider none white players Platek reminds folks of, please share with me that list!
Adam Boone. Before people freak out, Boone wasn't bad. Mainly just not fast enough to run point at UNC. In his final year at Minnesota, he averaged 10.3 pts 4.7 assists.

My sense from this year is that Andrew could be better than that. But he moves sort of how I recall Boone moving.

Adam Boone. Before people freak out, Boone wasn't bad. Mainly just not fast enough to run point at UNC. In his final year at Minnesota, he averaged 10.3 pts 4.7 assists.

My sense from this year is that Andrew could be better than that. But he moves sort of how I recall Boone moving.
No. Boone was never very good at moving/stressing defenses.

I hope Platek has the upside some of you guys see. Not sure, personally, I am hoping that BRob gets more comfortable with dee and moving in the half court to contribute more at the two.

Last edited:
Back onto the camp and pickups.... Not much info on the players but here's a great little piece from a true 'insider'....

https://armchairallamericans.com/carolina-basketball-the-family-is-real/
that is great, thank you. this thread brings back some great memories of my two weeks in the sixties, being coached by dean smith, charlie scott, doug moe, etc. i also recall making a friend my second week who was bones mckinney's son, kenny. does anybody know kenny and what he's doing these days?

Yeah I can't find anything. Since the staff got in their feeling about segments of it being filmed us non premium subscribers will have to settle for speculation, and 2nd, 3rd, sometimes 4th hand accounts of what happened, and how the team is playing

He’s the next coming of Andrew Platek. He might be our starting SG his junior year if Coby is playing PG.

Platek was very efficient offensively with the limited minutes he had last season. If he can hold his own on the defensive end I would like to see what he could do with ~15 min a game this year.

CC

Reactions: venom660turbo
Platek was very efficient offensively with the limited minutes he had last season. If he can hold his own on the defensive end I would like to see what he could do with ~15 min a game this year.

CC
I'd like to see him get more of a green light. Start dropping those shots that we saw on youtube.

I hope everyone has a green light to take good shots in the flow of the O; BUT only a few have the unlimited Green Light! I would think-Bird, KW, maybe CJ could earn it. I foresee Nas and Coby earning it too before the end, but nobody else.

I hope everyone has a green light to take good shots in the flow of the O; BUT only a few have the unlimited Green Light! I would think-Bird, KW, maybe CJ could earn it. I foresee Nas and Coby earning it too before the end, but nobody else.
What does green light mean to you guys? 5 guys can't have a "green light" on any team. If it means a good look, be confident and take it then yes. Seeking out shots, as a green light, I definitely don't want Maye, Williams, or Cam "green lighted". None are "green light" guys as I define them. None are create a shot and it's a good thing. Love what they bring, but "green light"? Your the go to guy is not them, not their strength. Let alone Platek!! I guess "green light" has a different meaning to some

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT