ADVERTISEMENT

& Bazley going straight to the G League

2DDIMOND

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2015
Just saw that on Yahoo too. Hope this doesn't start a trend. I'm sure Boeheim is less than thrilled about this move.
Sorry, surgery yesterday & just sitting around killing time today.

Just saw that on Yahoo too. Hope this doesn't start a trend. I'm sure Boeheim is less than thrilled about this move.
Sorry, surgery yesterday & just sitting around killing time today.

I'm not going to shed a tear for Boeheim or Syracuse, but this does suck for them (which prompts a little schadenfreude, admittedly).

That said, I don't think this will start a trend. Why go to the G league and play in front of a few fans when you can star at a major university, receive personal attention, and be THE MAN for a year? The possibility of players going overseas for a year has been fretted about as a new trend every time someone does it. Yet it has yet to become a true trend. I think there will likely be a few players here and there going the G league route, but I doubt it will ever grow into anything genuinely worrisome for college basketball.

I don't fault Bazley for making this decision if he truly never wanted to have the college experience, and instead was only focused on his professional career. I do feel bad for any coach in this situation who takes a lot of time and effort in recruiting a player to lose him at the end of the recruiting process. I've never been a fan of Boeheim, but I hate seeing this happen to him. Hopefully kids in this situation in the future will declare for the G-League early before coaches get to far along in recruiting.

If more of the "elite" kids want to either go straight to the NBA from high school or bypass college for the G-League or Europe, I say go for it. I love college basketball, and I want to see kids commit to schools because they actually want to be there. College basketball will be better because of it. While it may lack elite level individual players, the team game will improve with more long-term players committed to the school.

Happy to see it and hope it continues. Until we get the college baseball draft rules, recruiting gets cleaned up, and players can get paid more closely to their market value, the NCAA deserves everything they get.

Last edited:
Not a wise move $ wise. He could make big bucks in Euorpe then come to the NBA.

Reactions: tw3301
He's gonna make $26k a year. Big whoop. He won't get half the attention that he would have received at Syracuse. If it's all about building your brand nowadays, I am not sure this is the best way to go.

Reactions: UNC '92
He's gonna make $26k a year. Big whoop. He won't get half the attention that he would have received at Syracuse. If it's all about building your brand nowadays, I am not sure this is the best way to go.
Not everyone is in the same situation. He is also allowed to benefit from endorsements, gifts, and any other such things that may come with it.

Not everyone is in the same situation. He is also allowed to benefit from endorsements, gifts, and any other such things that may come with it.
Sure. But signing an endorsement after making an all-ACC team would sure fetch you a lot more money than the scraps he is going to get right now.

Not a wise move $ wise. He could make big bucks in Euorpe then come to the NBA.
Poor move money wise, but psychologically, I've always wondered if it's a good thing for an 18 year old to play in a foreign country where there's probably a huge language barrier not only between you and the common citizens of the country, but you and your teammates/coaching staff.

It's an interesting case study if you will... The first guy that does something like this usually gets the short end of the stick, but may create a path for the future. But for the G League to truly dent college hoops, it needs to be financially competitive relatively speaking. If a scholarship is worth lets say 50K/year, the G League needs to approach that sooner rather than later. The best path for them is to get a TV deal independent from the NBA deal that it's probably grouped with right now.

But college isn't for everyone and going to a foreign country isn't for everyone at that age. Good for him trying to create a path for himself. I'll be rooting for him.

Do we even know if the kid was going to be able to get thru college admissions, maybe he has just had enough of being in class rooms, what was his or the family's financial situation, could he have already taken money? Lot of variables before we could say what level a decision it was.

In the G-league, no, he is not going to get the level of exposure to rabid fans as he would have at the cuse but the exposure he will get is directly to the NBA scouts and management, so his ability to brand directly to the NBA is increased and yet the fans will not know much about him, that will effect potential endorsements deals.

In a right world, $26K in paychecks should be more than the money he would receive playing college ball, of course we know money finds it way to these kids. If he plays well enough in the G-league he will be called up for major money to the league. Lot of ways to look at this kind of thing but there isn't a 1 size that fits all.

Do we even know if the kid was going to be able to get thru college admissions, maybe he has just had enough of being in class rooms, what was his or the family's financial situation, could he have already taken money? Lot of variables before we could say what level a decision it was.

In the G-league, no, he is not going to get the level of exposure to rabid fans as he would have at the cuse but the exposure he will get is directly to the NBA scouts and management, so his ability to brand directly to the NBA is increased and yet the fans will not know much about him, that will effect potential endorsements deals.

In a right world, $26K in paychecks should be more than the money he would receive playing college ball, of course we know money finds it way to these kids. If he plays well enough in the G-league he will be called up for major money to the league. Lot of ways to look at this kind of thing but there isn't a 1 size that fits all.
From what I read, he had excellent grades and is still going to take school as he goes while playing over his career.

This was 100% a money decision because his family is so poor. They expect him to be financially stabilized by the organization that has him in the G league. Earn 26k a year while playing minimally and just working on his game at NBA direction and training programs without added distractions. Also, get a shoe endorsement deal right away.

Basically, the NBA is going to do everything they can to make sure he succeeds to try and bolster the idea of other recruits doing the same.

Reactions: RyanJamesIII
Shame the NBA wont set the min at 50-75k for their own development league.

He's probably looking at six-figures in endorsements, perhaps significantly more. I don't think he's doing it for the $25k G-league salary.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Don’t feel too bad for coaches who recruit a kid and then the kid decides to go to the G League. It’s basically the same as recruiting a kid and him committing to another school.

Obvious that the kid, and those advising him are not the sharpest thinkers in the world. Stupid might be a kind term. He would have lived a fairly decent life in one year in college. Staying in five star hotels, and eating in very nice restaurants ain't happening in the g league. And going to be living in digs that aren't exactly the nicest in town on that salary. Somebody above mentioned endorsements? What endorsements? Do you actually think any serious money is going to endorse a kid playing minor league basketball that nobody ever sees on TV? Hell no

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT