ADVERTISEMENT

Best & Worst DMV Experiences

coolwaterunc

Hall of Famer
Oct 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I had to go this morning to get my license renewed and was in and out in 15 minutes. I was shocked. Fortunately for me, I've never really had any bad experiences with employees there, just long waits. That promptly made me Google DMV experiences people have had, and it was entertaining, to say the least. Anyone had any unexpectedly good or horribly bad experiences worth sharing?

Here in wilm i've always had very pleasant experiences UNTIL my son got his first car and i took him down to "show him the ropes" on getting tags etc. Well the large woman that waited on us was very disgusted with me trying to explain the process of property taxes and inspections to my son as he dealt with her. She was being very short with him and even rolled her eyes. Finally she told him to move to the side until he figured out what he wanted to do and called someone else up. I said "hell no, you're waiting on us, he's just learning, this is his first time" she said "i aint got no time for training, look at this line!" Then a man in line spoke up to her "why dont u shut the hell up and help the kid" and everyone clapped. She got right to it.

Reactions: UNC71-00 and BillyL
I've had no bad experiences with Virginia's DMV, as it goes, they've been about as helpful and accommodating as could possibly be . .

I'm going to the DMV in about an hour, so we'll see if I have anything interesting to add.

iJ6Xb6TGQeB9o.gif

Reactions: Raising Heel
Other than - going on a tangent from the "Speeding Tickets" thread - the VA DMV not processing the paperwork correctly after I was required to take the Defensive Driving course to keep the ticket off my record. It's pretty awesome to go through a random check-point and told to pull over...not having any clue what was going on...and told that I had to leave my car and call someone to pick me up. Oh, and I was 3 hours from home at this point.

Long story short - paperwork never got filed in Richmond and they suspended my license. So I'm 18 years old, freshman in college at UNCW and find out that way that I'd been unknowingly driving on a suspended license. Took me 3 hours faxing proof back and forth to the Richmond DMV that I did, in fact, complete that course.

I guess another one would be when I went to trade in my car, which was registered in NC at this point. I didn't have a copy of the deed to the car -- again, I was young and never knew I would even need that -- and the dealership in VA wouldn't complete the trade-in without that deed. Rather than faxing a copy of it, the DMV made me drive all the way to Roxboro to get a copy of it there in person. That would an entire day off work. Good times :)

Outside of that - DMV is just a pain in the ass b/c of wait times.

By the way -- this is a testament to heelmanwilm -- if I had a father willing enough to walk through this process with me when I turned 16, I'd have avoided a TON of headaches, simply b/c I'd have known "how" everything works. Most of what I learned was through my own trial & error.

Reactions: Raising Heel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT