ADVERTISEMENT

Better everyday items

Grayhead

Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2006
Wanted to share a couple of things I've picked up that are improved normal items

Given my history of back trouble, wallets were bad. I purchased the ridge wallet. Minimalist style. I have completely decluttered my wallet and keep it comfortably in my front pocket. 10 out of 10

Another thing I've struggled with is belts. Never comfortable to me. I tried a groove belt. Another high ranked at 9 out of 10. Think of it like stretchy pants but in a belt form. No more plumbers Crack for me. Constant bendding down while working and showing butt cleavage is over.

Duluth clothing in general

The last 2 have cool marketing

https://ridge.com/collections/best-...i=&nb_pc=&nb_pi=&nb_ppi=&nb_placement=&nb_si={sourceid}&nb_li_ms=&nb_lp_ms=&nb_fii=&nb_ap=&nb_mt=e&gclid=CjwKCAjw2vOLBhBPEiwAjEeK9mW6XRxpIEf7iT2jGDss6tssGaBC_wFAEHJVBcSo-tGul5tOK9M0TxoC9lIQAvD_BwE

Reactions: heelbent
Wanted to share a couple of things I've picked up that are improved normal items

Given my history of back trouble, wallets were bad. I purchased the ridge wallet. Minimalist style. I have completely decluttered my wallet and keep it comfortably in my front pocket. 10 out of 10

Another thing I've struggled with is belts. Never comfortable to me. I tried a groove belt. Another high ranked at 9 out of 10. Think of it like stretchy pants but in a belt form. No more plumbers Crack for me. Constant bendding down while working and showing butt cleavage is over.

Duluth clothing in general

The last 2 have cool marketing

https://ridge.com/collections/best-sellers?nbt=nb:adwords:g:13712015983:124648438495:531004681598&nb_adtype=&nb_kwd=ridge wallet&nb_ti=kwd-23454202673&nb_mi=&nb_pc=&nb_pi=&nb_ppi=&nb_placement=&nb_si={sourceid}&nb_li_ms=&nb_lp_ms=&nb_fii=&nb_ap=&nb_mt=e&gclid=CjwKCAjw2vOLBhBPEiwAjEeK9mW6XRxpIEf7iT2jGDss6tssGaBC_wFAEHJVBcSo-tGul5tOK9M0TxoC9lIQAvD_BwE

I've been looking at a groove belt as well. I'm a tad leary though because of some of the review comments. A very few quality concerns but a bunch about the sizing. The sizes listed don't overlap, and between the questions of customers and the products answers, I get mixed signals over whether it's better to oversize or undersize if you're close to being a tweener.

I guess my question would be did you get a lot of extra belt for the size you chose? I don't want to have to try to cut down a sixty buck belt.

I've been looking at a groove belt as well. I'm a tad leary though because of some of the review comments. A very few quality concerns but a bunch about the sizing. The sizes listed don't overlap, and between the questions of customers and the products answers, I get mixed signals over whether it's better to oversize or undersize if you're close to being a tweener.

I guess my question would be did you get a lot of extra belt for the size you chose? I don't want to have to try to cut down a sixty buck belt.
There is plenty of adjustment in the belt. I didnt cut mine down. It loops back inside of itself with a small band to hold it. Very comfortable. I no longer have to overtighten to keep my pants from sagging

Reactions: bluetoe
There is plenty of adjustment in the belt. I didnt cut mine down. It loops back inside of itself with a small band to hold it. Very comfortable. I no longer have to overtighten to keep my pants from sagging
thanks, man

grilla-yes.gif

Reactions: Grayhead
Second on the magnetic phone holder. A couple hacks I’ve recently been shown that I enjoy

to light charcoal wad up half a paper towel and put a couple tbs cooking oil on it. Light it then place it under charcoal. A chimney style holder does really good but you can just heap the coals over the paper towel as well.

I got one of those fold over phone cases that you can store credit cards and such in. Love it. I don’t carry cash so no more wallet.

i recently mounted a magnetic strip to the kitchen wall for knives and utensils. Frees up lots of drawer space and so much easier to find the cotdamn potato peeler.

Second on the magnetic phone holder. A couple hacks I’ve recently been shown that I enjoy

to light charcoal wad up half a paper towel and put a couple tbs cooking oil on it. Light it then place it under charcoal. A chimney style holder does really good but you can just heap the coals over the paper towel as well.

I got one of those fold over phone cases that you can store credit cards and such in. Love it. I don’t carry cash so no more wallet.

i recently mounted a magnetic strip to the kitchen wall for knives and utensils. Frees up lots of drawer space and so much easier to find the cotdamn potato peeler.
You don't even need the oil if you have the Chimney.

Reactions: heelmanwilm

I second the knife strip. It works for shop tools if you have limited space.

Drawer dividers are nice as well. Can organize any type of slide out drawer.

There are several hacks for cabinets as well. You tube work workers show how easy you can maximize stock cabinets. Places like rockler make cabinet conversion kits for pull out features. A pull out tray for pots and pans is nice.

DIY projects are fun also. I just built a fire pit area. Purchased a Solo smokeless fire pit. Definitely worth it if you like fire pits. I purchased paver stones and did it my self. Hard work, but very rewarding.
As for outdoor furniture, we converted everything to polywood.

Florescent bulbs can be switched to led bulbs.

DIY projects are fun also. I just built a fire pit area. Purchased a Solo smokeless fire pit. Definitely worth it if you like fire pits. I purchased paver stones and did it my self. Hard work, but very rewarding.

YESSS on the Solo Stove!! someone gifted me a Bonfire model this fall. i kinda chuckled when i saw it bc it was so simple and basic looking (i knew nothing about them) ... already have an outdoor fireplace / picnic shelter area that we use the heck out of this time of year. when i finally got around to lighting up the Solo i immediately wished i had bought one years ago, especially since me and the kids go camping so much. that thing is THE BOMB!! and my wife loves it bc of the drastically reduced smoke. it's the only product that i've seen with over 10,000 reviews and 99.5% positive.

you peel potatoes? That is so 1960's.

YESSS on the Solo Stove!! someone gifted me a Bonfire model this fall. i kinda chuckled when i saw it bc it was so simple and basic looking (i knew nothing about them) ... already have an outdoor fireplace / picnic shelter area that we use the heck out of this time of year. when i finally got around to lighting up the Solo i immediately wished i had bought one years ago, especially since me and the kids go camping so much. that thing is THE BOMB!! and my wife loves it bc of the drastically reduced smoke. it's the only product that i've seen with over 10,000 reviews and 99.5% positive.
You can almost sit it flat on a wooden deck without scorching it. I think breeo makes better looking stoves, but I am perfectly fine with the one I have. They have attachments so you can cook on them. Fire roasted Ribeye is the heat!!!

For an example

Purchased a Solo smokeless fire pit. Definitely worth it if you like fire pits.
currently looking into these…have a gas one in one area of outdoor living space, but am looking for one for a seated area that could double as table as well when not in use.

does it provide warmth if you’re seated around it or do have to be standing right next to it?…this is a covered area with a tv.

currently looking into these…have a gas one in one area of outdoor living space, but am looking for one for a seated area that could double as table as well when not in use.

does it provide warmth if you’re seated around it or do have to be standing right next to it?…this is a covered area with a tv.
No covered areas with wood fire

I have a tiny Solo "lite" used for back-packing... Pretty nice cause you can just cook with anything you find, no need to carry isopro, never have to worry how much fuel is left in cannisters, etc. Lots more soot on the bottom of pots, that's the only drawback.

Wanted a Solo Bonfire or yukon for the back yard, but got a Breeo instead and i've been happy.

Last edited:

They put off a ton of heat. The outside gets dangerously hot, so I'm not sure if I'd want it exposed if you're in a tight area. With 30' ceilings maybe you have plenty of room ;)

"smokeless" is a tiny bit misleading, cuz it is only smokeless once the fire gets hot enough to heat up the exterior walls. In the winter you have build up something pretty big, use quality dry wood, etc. But once it's hot it is quite smokeless.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
even with the ceiling being 30 feet?

thought i could get away with it.
I'm not sure how much heat dissipates in that range. Remember, heat rises. Yes, it smokes a bit when firing off, but very little once started. Honestly, I still wouldn't trust it even at 30 feet. I would build a fire place before I trusted that.

You can almost sit it flat on a wooden deck without scorching it. I think breeo makes better looking stoves, but I am perfectly fine with the one I have. They have attachments so you can cook on them. Fire roasted Ribeye is the heat!!!
mine came with a stand that can be used on a deck .. we did it over the weekend, not a single mark or ash left behind. i ordered the lid for it so i can use it the next morning on camping trips without having to worry about overnight rain or dew. should be very handy.

it almost acts like a radiator, puts off a ton of heat. definitely wouldnt use it under a roof lower than 20' or so.

the other thing i really like is that (in my experience) it burns down hardwood way more slowly than a traditional firepit or outdoor fireplace.

off topic, i know ... why did it take me 20+ years of owning a backpack blower to think of using it to dry my car after i wash it 🤦‍♂️ 100% spot free dry. awesome!

off topic, i know ... why did it take me 20+ years of owning a backpack blower to think of using it to dry my car after i wash it 🤦‍♂️ 100% spot free dry. awesome!
I had a handheld blower once and tried that. The exhaust blew thru it as well and let oil drops on my vehicle. The backpack blowers shouldn't do that

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: blazers
Purchased the wasabi knife sharpening set. Slow delivery, but well worth the wait. Fairly easy to dial in

Also, if you make large purchases often, I recommend using a credit card. I use one as often as possible to build rewards point. Paid for my 3 day Disney getaway with my wife tomorrow. Paid for a deluxe resort stay onsote, meals, and flight first class. Not bad for 1 years worth of charges. Trick it to pay bill before they hit with interest. It's basically free money tax free. I usually spend over 200k a year to build points. But I also have material purchases so it an advantage.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Harris teeter offers gas discounts at their stations based on points earned at their grocery store. Spend $100 get ten points and ten cents off, $200 get 20 cents off and so on up to a dollar off a gallon. (Points expire end of each month) That alone is good but they pay double points for gift card purchases. We eat out two or three times a week So I purchase gift cards for eating out while getting groceries and I accumulate 1000pts easily. I’ve gotten a dollar/gal off fill ups for several months straight now.

Reactions: strummingram
Harris teeter offers gas discounts at their stations based on points earned at their grocery store. Spend $100 get ten points and ten cents off, $200 get 20 cents off and so on up to a dollar off a gallon. (Points expire end of each month) That alone is good but they pay double points for gift card purchases. We eat out two or three times a week So I purchase gift cards for eating out while getting groceries and I accumulate 1000pts easily. I’ve gotten a dollar/gal off fill ups for several months straight now.
Nice!!! Digital coupons

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT