ADVERTISEMENT

Bigs

gunslingerdick

Hall of Famer
Feb 16, 2006
I don't think I need to tell anyone that this is a relevant topic nor do I need to emphasize the glaring need. But after seeing the updated rankings, I wanted to put some names on the board and see who knows what about what.

Guys we're recruiting:
Bamba - stays at #3 in the 247 rankings (haven't heard much here. Are we still in it?)
Carter - little movement (no chance?)
Washington - little movement (supposedly in the thick of it)
Stokes - has moved up to #76 in the 247 rankings (what's he waiting on?)
Huffman - makes a HUGE jump up to #95 in the 247 rankings (No really, what's he waiting on?)
Brooks - small upward movement to #120 in the 247 rankings (NO REALLY, what is he waiting on?)

I guess we've discussed all of those guys ad nauseum. But what about these guys? Why aren't we pursuing?

Nick Richards - #15 in the 247 rankings (lock for UK?)
Ira Lee - #32 in 247 rankings (undersized but we can't be picky)
Ikechukwu Obiagu - #54 in the 247 rankings (haven't seen his name here)
Bruno Fernando - #62 in the 247 rankings (are we interested? Can Leaky help with recruitment?)
Alex Reese - big jump to #70 in 247 rankings (never heard of him)
Lance Thomas - big jump to #75 in 247 rankings (do we have a relationship with a jeweler?)

The above list are guys ranked higher than the guys we seem to be going after. Can anyone shed some light on our current recruiting strategy of bigs?

Obviously you're right. Ad nauseum for sure, but hey...
As for your first list I'll just add without detail that I've heard very good things outta Auburn concerning Brooks, Bamba's still being coy, correct on Washington, Stokes has a huge upside (me want, we'll see), the Carter saga continues to be interesting and more complex than many know but I'm just leavin' that where it is concerning this board.

As for the second list: Obiagu has been dropping for a reason --- 7 footer but somewhat limited upside I think (I've seen him play twice), his family likes Auburn, but their interest level is up in the air. Reese is leaning bama I hear.

Interesting to see Huffman making such a Jump. I honestly wonder if it's just because we offered him. like Luke Maye.

But ESPN does have him listed as a 4 star, so maybe it's legit.

I'm also super confused as to why at least one hasn't committed. Stokes was and still seems to be a hard get with Iowa St. and Tennessee in place. With Brooks visiting, I feel he may pull the trigger on his visit or sometime after.

Really don't understand why Huffman hasn't yet. Perhaps he just wants to do the whole recruiting thing, but I can't think of any solid reason. :confused:

At this point, it's probably Washington or nothing as far as an Elite Recruit goes

But IIRC, we offered Udoka fairly late too, and had a real chance with him if not for some "handlers" or something along those lines.

Doubt we see Roy do that this class though, unless PJ commits elsewhere early.

Reese is the only one that I have ever seen UNC mentioned with , but not in a long time , heavy bama lean. Obiagu does have 10% cloudy on predictions. Carter not coming to UNC and Bamba very doubtful. Stokes I have no clue , would he really rather play in Ames(so isolated Google doesn't recognize it.) over Chapel Hill? Brooks we now show in the lead on the "hated" 247. Huffman is ours according to several. Knox and Washington we seem to still have a chance for. Everybody else I think it's just too late in the process unless their current favorite(s) lose interest or score elsewhere..

Gonna be hard to pull Stokes from Tenn. With Jarnell going there yall know blood is thicker than water. I Think Roy can do it!!!

Jarnell was a big Pearl guy I think though. He stuck with them after the mess but think it was mainly Pearl's work.

I agree PJ is the one upper tier guy we have a shot with. I assume we get one of Stokes, Huffman, or Brooks.

I agree PJ is the one upper tier guy we have a shot with. I assume we get one of Stokes, Huffman, or Brooks.
I think we'll get 2 or 3 of the 4 guys you have listed there.
Huffman - 100%
Brooks - 80%
Stokes - 33%
PJ - 33%
And just for fun, Knox - 35%, Bamba - 10%

I know nothing other than what is reported on this site, but I think that's pretty close.

Reese is the only one that I have ever seen UNC mentioned with , but not in a long time , heavy bama lean. Obiagu does have 10% cloudy on predictions. Carter not coming to UNC and Bamba very doubtful. Stokes I have no clue , would he really rather play in Ames(so isolated Google doesn't recognize it.) over Chapel Hill? Brooks we now show in the lead on the "hated" 247. Huffman is ours according to several. Knox and Washington we seem to still have a chance for. Everybody else I think it's just too late in the process unless their current favorite(s) lose interest or score elsewhere..

Bamba reachin out to Michigan is IMO a lightening bolt twist that seems to send a very strong message out to Ky, duke, as well as UNC.

Huffman now a 4 star, been telling you guys that Huffman is at least as talented as most of the other 4 star big men. Write this down folks, expect an announcement from Huffman within 2 weeks after late night with Roy, maybe 2 big man committs in that same 2 week period. Keep a kean eye on who comes to late night for us, do Stokes and Brooks both come, if so expect a quick committ from one of them.

About Brooks, as you could tell I started a lil luke warm for this kid, I am heating up but I am because I now see the kid as being able to use both hands inside the paint, an advantage that any coach in the Dean Smith family tree not only understands the value of but loves to teach, refine, and expoit. I didn't realize that at first but I watched how smoothly he pulled off the big man drill in an instagram vid, that was a difference maker for me more so than his hitting some mid range shots in those mash up clips. 6'10" 235lbs and can use either hand and can flush without needing a step, got me on board.

Bamba reachin out to Michigan is IMO a lightening bolt twist that seems to send a very strong message out to Ky, duke, as well as UNC.

Huffman now a 4 star, been telling you guys that Huffman is at least as talented as most of the other 4 star big men. Write this down folks, expect an announcement from Huffman within 2 weeks after late night with Roy, maybe 2 big man committs in that same 2 week period. Keep a kean eye on who comes to late night for us, do Stokes and Brooks both come, if so expect a quick committ from one of them.

About Brooks, as you could tell I started a lil luke warm for this kid, I am heating up but I am because I now see the kid as being able to use both hands inside the paint, an advantage that any coach in the Dean Smith family tree not only understands the value of but loves to teach, refine, and expoit. I didn't realize that at first but I watched how smoothly he pulled off the big man drill in an instagram vid, that was a difference maker for me more so than his hitting some mid range shots in those mash up clips. 6'10" 235lbs and can use either hand and can flush without needing a step, got me on board.
Some folks have said Ben Bentil. I don't see that at all really.
Others have compared him to Brice Johnson as a freshman. That's easier to see but I don't know enough about him to make the comp. You think he's got some Brice to him or who would you compare him to and at what stage?

For the record, I like what I see on all 3 of these next tier bigs...Huffman, Brooks, and Stokes.
Huffman - junkyard dog but still has some bounce, love these types
Brooks - workhorse with some midrange/Brice from the elbow potential
Stokes - highest ceiling, hardworking, potentially explosive

I like those kids from a developmental aspect. Come on in, get a little team play and coaching, grow and perhaps hit the league in your future.
It seems some of those kids also won't shy away from contact but will almost welcome it (like Stokes) and take it to the rim.

Others have compared him to Brice Johnson as a freshman. That's easier to see but I don't know enough about him to make the comp. You think he's got some Brice to him or who would you compare him to and at what stage?

For the record, I like what I see on all 3 of these next tier bigs...Huffman, Brooks, and Stokes.
FYI: Word is Roy and Rob had a very productive visit with Stokes.

Our competition seems to be Iowa St, UF, TCU (?) and of course, his bro's alma mater Tennessee.
I had heard originally our offer caught him by surprise and he was pretty blown away by it, but once he sets a visit I'll get excited... then it would likely be a UT/UNC battle

I REALLY want this big hoss!

UT hasn't been relevant since the Ernie & Bernie days....if your long term goal is the league, best come on over to our place, we've been known to lace a few bigs in the NBA, ask Brice.

UT hasn't been relevant since the Ernie & Bernie days....if your long term goal is the league, best come on over to our place, we've been known to lace a few bigs in the NBA, ask Brice.

Did the 30 for 30 documentary convince you that Tennessee was a relevant team in the 70's? They were good, but they had much less success than some of Bruce Pearl's teams. Bernie/Ernie never won an NCAA Tournament game.

Otherwise I agree with the sentiment. Tennessee is an average team in an average conference. Rick Barnes couldn't win much with a roster littered with 4-star and 5-star recruits, so I doubt much will change, especially with less talented players. Hopefully we can snag Stokes soon.

My thinking is we get 2 of the 3 and I'm good with that! :)
Interestingly Mikey, I saw another quote from Clifton that might indicate that what I was smelling about Roy's handling of the Huffman recruitment might be accurate... and that could have some good long-term implications.

Yeah I think it's pretty much a given that we get 2 of those 3.

The OP is missing Knox, whom our experts feel we have probably the best shot of landing out of the top players in the class.

I don't see the quick twitch upward explosion that Brice used so well. I suspect a little in that Ed Davis range, hopefully with a better attitude (LOL). He and Tony could actually develop in similar ways but I think for now Tony seems to play bigger and I sense Brooks may tend to give up his height at times.

Just my impressions on VERY limited viewing:

Stokes may be the most skilled, those mid range jumpers are a heck of a weapon but I wonder can he surpass Deon, I see him as I did Deon, as I see meeks, a below the rim operator. His skill level is surprising considering he recently changed from a footballer to a basketballer and dropped a ton of weight, must be a natural shooter. I wonder with work, how far he could extend his range, could he Mello one day?

Brooks, I think needs to add another 15-20 lbs of muscle to go along with the 235 he already carries. I think he really needs to develop a back to the basket game and being able to use both hands will really make that easier for him that some, go to jump hook from either side, step thru flush..

Huffman, I doubt I get a single person agree with me when I say this but I suspect from what I have so far seen that Huffman may have the most upside of the 3. The kid seems to understand his limitations and seems to use his assets, assets like good bounce up, good physical strength. But he has that extra something attitude wise that I like to see, he brings emotion. I like to see that if the kid can contain it and not draw the ire of the refs, it is a fine line. But I love a big ole strong kid that plays with passion, that enjoys a strong flush and lets that emotion show. I think he is a kid that will be able to finish strong in deep and do so playing thru contact, hope he free throws solid! Hands seem strong and soft.

I don't understand what happened to our recruiting in NYC and also the rest of the state. We were strong there at one time. I guess that was Dean carrying over from the McGuire days. We never showed any interest in Nick Richards to my knowledge.

FYI: Rival fanbases are concerned that Preston will have eligibility issues. Came from the same school as Ferguson and Mudiay

I don't understand what happened to our recruiting in NYC and also the rest of the state. We were strong there at one time. I guess that was Dean carrying over from the McGuire days. We never showed any interest in Nick Richards to my knowledge.

As someone who lives in NYC, it's horribly frustrating. I go to games all the time up here and the talent level is unreal. Wish we'd rebuild that pipeline.

Reactions: DSouthr

Richards has been a virtual lock to UK since the moment they offered. Which was very early IIRC.

Only big I wish we had offered was Robinson, though it wouldn't have really made a difference due to the WKU connections.

Richards has been a virtual lock to UK since the moment they offered. Which was very early IIRC.

Only big I wish we had offered was Robinson, though it wouldn't have really made a difference due to the WKU connections.

Actually we did offer Robinson? Looks like it was knocked out of the rivals offer list when newer offers went out but his offer was listed for most of the summer on the offer list on rivals.

Last edited:
Actually we did offer Robinson?

I don't think so. If we did, they didn't publicize it.

What I remember was that we showed heavy interest when he decommited from A&M, but never offered. LSU did too and did offer. He welcomed UK interest as well, but didn't really get it. Then WKU was reported as a major factor in his recruiting, and that was about all she wrote.

At the time, I believe Roy wasn't making many offers, but it was hypothesized that he would've been one of the first to get one.

Danny says HI.

Write this down folks, expect an announcement from Huffman within 2 weeks after late night with Roy, maybe 2 big man commits in that same 2 week period. Keep a keen eye on who comes to late night for us, do Stokes and Brooks both come, if so expect a quick committ from one of them.

I agree about us getting at least one commitment very shortly after LNWR, and two is a distinct possibility. I think the best chances are Huffman and Boooks. I think Stokes may wait a while longer to make his decision. We might even get lucky and get a commitment from PJ. But with two big birds in the hand, I'd feel much more comfortable.

Brooks impressed me right from the gitgo but I have to say that the drill you mentioned on Instagram impressed me even more. I wish I could link it here but it's from a rival site. Regardless, Brooks has the ability to be a very good shot blocker as well as a productive scorer inside. His ability to use both hands is a key asset for big men. He's going to be a very good one.

McKoy is trending to Cal and Billy (Nothin' from Nothin' leaves nothing)Preston to USC.

I don't think so. If we did, they didn't publicize it.

What I remember was that we showed heavy interest when he decommited from A&M, but never offered. LSU did too and did offer. He welcomed UK interest as well, but didn't really get it. Then WKU was reported as a major factor in his recruiting, and that was about all she wrote.

At the time, I believe Roy wasn't making many offers, but it was hypothesized that he would've been one of the first to get one.

Mitchel Robinson was listed as a offer on rivals for months, I promise ya, it was there, I saw it many times.

Brooks impressed me right from the gitgo but I have to say that the drill you mentioned on Instagram impressed me even more. I wish I could link it here but it's from a rival site. Regardless, Brooks has the ability to be a very good shot blocker as well as a productive scorer inside. His ability to use both hands is a key asset for big men. He's going to be a very good one.
My talent-evaluation eye just blinked once for "yes" :cool:

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT